"Tasercam": LEO Tases and Shoots Fox

PDA

DFW1911
July 10, 2008, 08:57 PM
Wow:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/07/10/dnt.fox.attack.wavy

I think the woman may want to consider carrying while walking her dogs.

Didn't we just discuss this about Coyotes...like last week?

Take care,
DFW1911

If you enjoyed reading about ""Tasercam": LEO Tases and Shoots Fox" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Packman
July 10, 2008, 09:29 PM
interesting. Rabid fox, maybe?

ColinthePilot
July 10, 2008, 10:09 PM
Note to self: Tasers don't work on foxes. Bullets do.

Funderb
July 10, 2008, 10:13 PM
hahahaha what possibly was the though train that led to,

"We should tazer the fox first!"

WTFO?

FieroCDSP
July 10, 2008, 10:20 PM
It would have to be rabid. Foxes are skittish and shy creatures, prone to running and hiding rather than attacking. For it to skulk around after the first attack, then attack a Newfoundland, then a person.... Ain't no way that thing was right in the head.

justin 561
July 10, 2008, 10:32 PM
Possibly was being fed by humans, taking it's fear of humans away.

waverace
July 10, 2008, 10:42 PM
thats either a trained attack fox or theres something wrong with it :eek:
good advertisement for a 9mm or .45 though :rolleyes:
Ive heard of tazers being completely non effective against drugged up perps too also pepper spray , but a large hole in the head is hard to ignore:uhoh:

misANTHrope
July 10, 2008, 11:31 PM
Did she say that her neighbor tried to beat the fox off with a PILLOW?

:scrutiny:

bogie
July 10, 2008, 11:36 PM

Okay...

I'm gonna be good...

Really.

Packman
July 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
"FOX!!! Baby, get the kids inside! I'll beat it off for yah!" *WHOOMP!*WHOOMP!*

"IT'S ALL OVER ME! TAZER IT, QUICK! AARGH!"

Okay...

I'm gonna be good...

Really.

That's no fun...

TAB
July 10, 2008, 11:56 PM
had to be rabid.

TehK1w1
July 11, 2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah, no sane fox would go after a person. They're not that kind of animal.

DFW1911
July 11, 2008, 12:43 AM

I know...such a softball...but this is THR...I can only imagine the postings if it weren't! :)

Rabid? I agree. Something was going on for sure, but for it to take down a Newfoundland, that's almost unbelievable. Thank goodness there was a CPL (Concealed Pillow License) around , which is about all I can say about that without getting the thread locked :D

Personally, I'd prefer to say "my neighbor had a shotgun handy..."

But as they say, "it's the fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight."

May be good for those of us who rely on big dogs for protection.

Thanks - and keep your pillows handy...

DFW1911

arflattop
July 11, 2008, 12:48 AM
Foxes are definitely nervous and will avoid a confrontation with humans.......unless you feed them, then they become like these, laying around the house like they own the place. Before you jump, I live on 300 acres, so I'm not endangering the neighborhood!

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/arflattop/fox1jpg.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/arflattop/fox2jpg.jpg

kd7nqb
July 11, 2008, 02:35 PM
Is anybody else shocked by the bad quality of the tazer cam? Seems like they might not be all that great after all.

DFW1911
July 11, 2008, 05:45 PM
Is anybody else shocked by the bad quality of the tazer cam? Seems like they might not be all that great after all.

I am, but I'm guessing the cameras are first generation and better ones are on the horizon.

To you point specifically, if it weren't for pause I'm not sure I could even tell what on earth was going on.

azredhawk44
July 11, 2008, 05:52 PM
arflattop: Those are handsome little friends you have there.

exar
July 11, 2008, 05:58 PM

I think they use them anyways with the expectation that if the footage is needed, they can enhance the image and have enough of an image to be able to tell what is going on.

Eric F
July 11, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hey I know this story, it was covered by Wavy10 news as a local story in Norfolk VA. Funny thing was it was covered by local news reporter ANDY FOX ha ha they had a nich on this story.http://www.wavy.com/global/story.asp?s=8643309

Cougfan2
July 11, 2008, 06:14 PM

Must.........control........sense of.........humor!!! :neener:

DFW1911
July 12, 2008, 01:07 AM

Must.........control........sense of.........humor!!!

I think she said her neighbor did beat off the fox with a pillow.

Okay, I'm going to shut up now before I get this thread locked.

So, um, what caliber for a rabid fox?

W.E.G.
July 12, 2008, 01:43 AM
Doesn't sound like Mr. Fox made it to "happy ending."

He should demand a refund.

evan price
July 12, 2008, 03:25 AM
Beat it off with a pillow... egads... did the pillow come clean?

A clear indication that Tazers are great for dudes who argue with cops, but Vulpine opponents laugh at such trickery.

grimjaw
July 12, 2008, 10:30 AM
I've hardly ever even seen a fox, much less had it attack. +1 on the rabid suggestion.

jm

cassandrasdaddy
July 12, 2008, 10:59 AM
i just hope my kid doesn't seethe show where they domesticated foxesin 2 or 3 generations

jagugator
July 12, 2008, 11:53 AM
Darn! Eric beat me to the punch. I was going to post the same about the reporter's name.

I work at Dam Neck, it's an annex of Oceana Naval Air Station and I work a swing shift. That base is like an amimal refuge, there must be atleast a hundred deer and fox running all over that base at night. It makes it quite interesting driving home in the middle of the night.

I had one fox stop at the side of the road to relieve himself and as my truck got closer he started scooting like a dog sometime does. It was hilarious

Floppy_D
July 12, 2008, 11:55 AM
Crap, that's right up the street from me!

alligator94
July 12, 2008, 06:03 PM
I am kind of curious as to why they tasered it first. What were they going to do arrest a rabid fox?

paintballdude902
July 12, 2008, 06:10 PM
ok so according to this when im working the farm where we have lots of foxes i should leave my gun at the barn and take a pillow?:rolleyes: and then call the police once the pillow has subdued the perp:evil:

Kowycz
July 12, 2008, 07:17 PM
for it to take down a Newfoundland, that's almost unbelievable I think she said the Newfoundland had the fox by the neck, I may be mistaken though.

FieroCDSP
July 12, 2008, 09:28 PM
I just think it's indicative of the minset if the fox was willing to take on the Newfoundland.

The issue with the use of the tazer is likely because cops are trained to use their actual gun for last resort, especially in a neighborhood like that. Bullets bounce off pavement, etc....The "cop shoots at snake, kills kid" incident provides that concern.
Tazing the thing would be a first choice, were it to work. I'm sure that's a study that missed the QC department. Putting the beast down is the last resort.
Cats are a different matter, of course. :evil:

DFW1911
July 13, 2008, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1911
for it to take down a Newfoundland, that's almost unbelievable
I think she said the Newfoundland had the fox by the neck, I may be mistaken though.

I struggled with the message too. It sounded like the Newfoundland had the fox by the throat, but then the neighbor comes over and hits the fox with the pillow, which made me think the fox had the upper hand.

Who knows, but as FieroCDSP stated, the mindset of the fox is the disturbing part.

JohnKSa
July 13, 2008, 02:30 AM
My guess is that the tazer either missed entirely or missed with one of the darts. It's not really designed for something as small as a fox.

opd743
July 13, 2008, 02:49 AM
I think the officer treated this fox just like she would have treated an attacking dog. Sucks that she did not get both probs in, if she did it would have stopped. Then it would have ran off after the 5 second ride, and not been shot.

What JohnKSa said.

As far as the "The cop should have shot it first", thinking.
Most of the people on the "high road" seem to think that cops can't shoot for crap. So, with your thinking, the piss poor shooting cop should have fired off a few rounds in that subdivision? And if the rounds had missed the fox and struck a car, a house, or a person, they still should have shot, right?

Give me(us) a break.

Deus Machina
July 13, 2008, 05:58 AM
What Fiero said up there. In just about any situation, especially in a neighborhood, taser first.

But you have to take into account--the fox started by attacking two poodles.

Poodles throw me into a blind rage, too.

TEDDY
July 13, 2008, 12:53 PM
I have two resident fox a male and female[size]they eat the cat food that is out for my cats,the cats dont mind as they lay there and watch also the possum who eats with them.I have 90 acres in SC. I have more trouble with wild dogs.:uhoh::rolleyes::D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 13, 2008, 01:24 PM
Don't tase me, bro!

Agree; must have been rabid.

Slvr Surfr
July 13, 2008, 01:42 PM
I can see the next reality show now..... "WHEN FOXS GO BAD !":neener:

If you enjoyed reading about ""Tasercam": LEO Tases and Shoots Fox" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!