Motorcycle-related carry options and other concepts

PDA

RX-178
July 11, 2008, 12:57 AM
All this basically sprung from the moment I decided I needed more pockets while riding, and threw on a 5.11 LBE vest over my riding jacket.

Any of you who ride motorcycles, and carry firearms, would you be interested in some of the following concepts?

Rows of PALS webbing on riding jackets or suits. Could even make the webbing in bright colors as highlights to match the bike, for crotch-rocket riders such as myself. Any MOLLE holster could be attached directly for open carry.

A holster that disguises as a basic rectangular pouch, for PALS interface. Velcro along three sides so it is easy to access, and can be pulled open completely for open carry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Motorcycle-related carry options and other concepts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thernlund
July 11, 2008, 01:00 AM
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/catalog/img_5988_1277_general.jpg

-T.

bogie
July 11, 2008, 01:29 AM
Just carry a nine-iron.

It's not a gang - it's a club!

Sans Authoritas
July 11, 2008, 01:31 AM
RX-178, a drop-leg holster works just fine.

-Sans Authoritas

B yond
July 11, 2008, 03:22 AM
Thernlund carries a purse! :neener:

BLC
July 11, 2008, 03:38 AM
I have the purse too!! Mine is the JUMBO!! :D

http://i36.tinypic.com/dv4tw.jpg

Seriously, its an awesome bag and works great riding.

Leitmotif
July 11, 2008, 05:46 AM
What bag is that?

The_Sheriff
July 11, 2008, 05:49 AM
Maybe an ankle holster that's tight enough. Just a thought.

Evenflo76
July 11, 2008, 08:56 AM
www.smartcarry.com

Has worked very well for me with a Glock 26 and an extra 17 rounder with grip extension.

and this is on a Japanese scoot with an agressive riding position...

S4Lee
July 11, 2008, 09:51 AM
I would be very interested in a mid-size (12L?) magnetic tank bag with a few rows of molle webbing on each side to attach small, custom pockets and accessories a la the ones that Maxpedition sells. An oversize raincover big enough to cover the bag with attached accessories should be included, along with a shoulder strap for when off the bike.

Eric F
July 11, 2008, 10:01 AM
Anything wrong with a miami classic? Guys, more specifically bikers, with a purse= ruin my imagination of what bikers are suposed to be. Why not just pull up to a Mongal or Hells Angel and ask what they do for storage and ccw? I am sure they will be more than happy to help you out.(there is suposed to be a joke in there some where)

Buzztail
July 11, 2008, 11:17 AM
I carry my purse on the other side- Mine is an S-type. The G20 is a tight fit for sure!! If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the Jumbo S-type just to have more room for the Glock

freakshow10mm
July 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
I carry in the same position no matter my mode of transportation. Right hip either IWB or OWB depending on gun.

TexasRifleman
July 11, 2008, 11:35 AM
Another vote for the Maxpedition Fat Boy man purse.

Really nice item.

I use a shoulder holster sometimes too but the problem is how to deal with the firearm if I am going into someplace where I can't carry.

Now I'm faced with having to draw the gun and get it to a hiding place without being seen.

qwik
July 11, 2008, 11:51 AM
recently wrecked bike, gonna get a hip replacement, enough said :uhoh: yea i was a safe rider, run over by car :fire:

TexasRifleman
July 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
yea i was a safe rider, run over by car

Sorry to hear that. I always say that, motorcycles are perfectly safe except for all the idiots in cars......

Glad you are OK for the most part :)

gtmerkley
July 11, 2008, 12:04 PM
try one of them that fit under the arm/

USMC - Retired
July 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
I carry in the same Blackhawk Serpa that I always do. Why should riding my bike require a diff carry than driving my truck?

ColinthePilot
July 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
I ride with all the gear, all the time. My armor jacket has two handy features. one is the long tail, which covers down pretty far on my back side, thus keeping my IWB rig covered. The other is an inside pocket that opens forward toward the zipper rather than top opening. I've carried a compact 9mm in there sans holster of any kind, but the gun fit so well in there that I didn't need one.
A friend of mine wears a shoulder rig with a full size .45 and loves it. he's got a kel-tec in his pocket for a BUG.

BLC
July 11, 2008, 01:42 PM
Mine is the Maxpedition Jumbo Versapack. Holds my pistol, 5 mags, 5 boxes of ammo, eyes, ears, smokes, phone, water, and a few cleaning supplies. Its really durable, I love it.

MCgunner
July 11, 2008, 01:50 PM
I pocket carry a 9, on the bike or off. I have a home made holster for it with a flap I can cover it with or move out of the way in the pocket. I put the flap over it and it resembles a wallet if I have to remove it to lock it under the seat of my SV650 or in the top box of my GoldWing. Works for me. I have a tuckable which is nice for IWB carry since your shirt won't fly up over it at speed, though my riding mesh jacket keeps that from happening. But, I mostly pocket carry now, much more convenient. The gun is a Kel Tec P11, works for me.

I've been riding a motorcycle for 42 years now pretty much as primary transportation. I've had a lot of track crashes since I've flat tracked and road raced for most of that time. I don't live in a major city. If I did, I don't know if I'd ride all that much on freeways. I've been on superbikes at close to 200 mph and raced AMA at tracks like Daytona and Road America, quite safe compared to Houston traffic.

Biker
July 11, 2008, 01:52 PM
Left ankle with a BUG in the vest pocket or left hip pocket.

Works for me.

Biker

Phil DeGraves
July 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
When I rode, I carried a S&W 5967 in an OWB Mitch Rosen Upper Limit under a sweatshirt. Plus, I had a leather scabbard strapped to the passenger backrest for a rifle.

paul
July 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
Biker...
you a southpaw or just keeping the accelerator hand free?
p

Biker
July 11, 2008, 03:09 PM
Keepin' the throttle hand free.

I can draw from the hip pocket or vest with the left hand while riding.

Fact is, if I gotta draw while goin' down the road, I really pissed God off.

~This is me shuddering~

Biker

tyserj
July 11, 2008, 03:42 PM
Personally I carry at about 5'oclock IWB so riding my bike (zx6r) doesn't affect me at all, I just hop on. Got to make sure to have a shirt tucked in over it though, or else wind will bring your shirt up during 50mph+ rides, and suddenly you are OC'ing. It is pretty obvious to gun owners you are carrying too, since you are hunched over the gun kind of sticks out a little. Most people are oblivious, or at least don't harass me about it. Haven't been pulled over with it, so I dont know what a cop would say, however open carry is legal in my state, AND i have CCW license so I should be fine.

P.S. A real sportbike rider wouldn't be caught dead with a manpurse on. (or saddlebags for that matter)

In answer to your molle question... no... I am not going to attach webbing to my 300$ leather jacket. A jacket is not an LBV and should not be treated as such. Besides I would not want the unwanted attention and gawking from other drivers who see my gun hangin out there.

BLC
July 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
You sportbikers sure have some strange looking backpacks though :)

MCgunner
July 11, 2008, 05:25 PM
You sportbikers sure have some strange looking backpacks though

Well, perhaps better than being armed, we have a throttle, not just a volume control. :neener:

I don't intend to draw while riding. I will use the throttle, brakes, and handling and find my ground to stand if I have to, preferable a big parking lot with lots of witnesses and cover. It has worked for me in the past, actually, never even had to draw. CYA....ZOOM! :D

S4Lee
July 11, 2008, 06:39 PM
Speaking of backpacks, I've wondered if my UTC AR15 case would be to conspicuous to use to ride up to the range with it strapped to my back? I'd so love to do that if I could figure out how to transport my target frame as well....

MCgunner
July 11, 2008, 07:55 PM
I just toss rifles in a hard case and strap it to the back of my old GoldWing (two wheeled truck) for range trips. Or, I can put all the stuff in my enclosed trailer and tow it to the range. Touring bikes open up options. :D I do have a shotgun and a take down .22 I bought specifically for bike travel. The shotgun is a Spartan coach gun, breaks down small. I travel a lot by motorcycle during dove season. :D

S4Lee
July 11, 2008, 10:25 PM
Haha...came across this...
http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/4289.jpg

Kharn
July 11, 2008, 10:31 PM
Who's got the picture of the guy riding a motorcycle with an AK (with magazine) slung across his back?

Kharn

hddeluxe
July 11, 2008, 11:46 PM
Visit www.sandssalesco.com for a great holster that fits right on your bike. I have one for my xd45ACP on my Harley Deluxe. Fits on the right side really handy. I don't have to worry about what will happen if I go down with a weapon on my person, yet right there if I need it.

MCgunner
July 12, 2008, 08:13 AM
Aridzona is open carry, Texas ain't.

I once hauled a deer home strapped to the rack of my Velorex sidecar with my rifle in the chair with a friend and his rifle. We CAN open carry rifles, here, and dead animals. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Motorcycle-related carry options and other concepts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!