Eric Draven Takes one for the Team...

PDA

Eric Draven
July 11, 2008, 02:30 AM
Well guyz, sometimes even when you do everythign right while working with knives, you still end up hurt. I was cutting some CPM-D2 with my bandsaw and my hand slipped,even though I was using gloves and a pushstick. Heres the damage before, I had to go to my doctr today/tonight and tomorrow to get the rest finished.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/AirkatKnives/DRAVEN%20INDUSTRIES/P7101103.jpg
===
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/AirkatKnives/DRAVEN%20INDUSTRIES/P7101105.jpg

So a reminder ya'll....be CAREFUL. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Eric Draven Takes one for the Team..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Valkman
July 11, 2008, 03:06 AM
Yikes! I always wondered why people said bandsaws were so dangerous when my Harbor Freight POS wasn't dangerous at all. Now that I have a real bandsaw with power I see how dangerous it is - glad that's all you got out of it and you still got all your "parts"!

ArfinGreebly
July 11, 2008, 03:13 AM
Tendons all still where you left them?

That just made me . . . shrivel up a little . . . y'know?

JohnnyOrygun
July 11, 2008, 03:58 AM
Ouch!!

Man, that looks painful... I guess it could have been worse, but that doesn't help with the pain.

BTW I grew up in Medford... till I was about 13 and then moved back for a few years, still where my heart is and where I still consider home.

Take care of yourself.

Eric Draven
July 11, 2008, 06:00 AM
Thanx guyz. Hopefully this wont happen again. :)

John, you still here in Southern OR.?? PM me or I will you.

hso
July 11, 2008, 07:46 AM
Looks like a classic bandsaw injury. I hope no tendons are cut.

nalioth
July 11, 2008, 01:10 PM
There are better tools for trimming your finger nails. http://www.novarata.net/forum/images/smilies/devil.gif

cracked butt
July 11, 2008, 01:17 PM
That's going to leave a cool looking scar.:evil:

I can tell that you like to work with knives- half the hair on your forearm is in various stages of missing or growing back.:cool:

alwilliam
July 11, 2008, 03:25 PM
:eek: Trade ya...

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7822/4v131bp2.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3733/4v133dh4.jpg

Old Grump
July 11, 2008, 03:30 PM
After 40 years of abuse from hammers, screwdrivers, files, grinders, wire brushes, hot metal, etc. the only bad one came from a bad clamp that allowed a metal plate to get away and spin around while I was drilling. Looked like the first picture. I hate it when I see bone. Even worse that night in bed and it starts to throb and you are trying to sleep with hand in the air. Doesn't work for beans. Sometimes it just happens and the guys with pretty hands aren't working with them.

JohnnyOrygun
July 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
Cracked Butt,

You have a good eye there, I missed the hair situation on the arm... part of my arm looks like that now, been practicing my sharpening skills.

John G
July 11, 2008, 04:25 PM
Zowch!:what:

I see you attempted to customize your hand. :scrutiny: Innovative. Glad to hear you're alright. :)

wulfbyte
July 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
Only a flesh wound...

bikerdoc
July 11, 2008, 05:27 PM
keep it clean!!!! and follow MD orders. Glad your OK

Fred Fuller
July 11, 2008, 10:02 PM
Dude.

OUCH!

You're not supposed to bleed on your own blades, ya know? Especially before they're finished...

Hope it heals up quick and clean.

lpl/nc

rantingredneck
July 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
I hope no tendons are cut.

Yeah. Guy I worked with at Winn Dixie back when I was in high school cut his hand on the meat market saw. Tendon was cut and shot up into his forearm. Major surgery to reattach everything. Had a funky looking brace on his wrist/hand for months for it to heal.

JTW Jr.
July 11, 2008, 11:28 PM
clean it with some acetone , squirt some super glue on it and call it day....back to the grinder !!

:)

HiWayMan
July 14, 2008, 11:09 AM
clean it with some acetone , squirt some super glue on it and call it day....back to the grinder !!

OUCH..................I'll take another wack from the saw rather than that treatment.

But...ya....same treatment I do all the time.

I got bit on the forearm by one of my beauties last night while sharpening. A double edged boot knife. Working on the second edge. Had her locked in the jig. Reached to the back of the bench for more oil and on coming back ...BAM... hooked the point on the opposing polished edge. Didn't feel a damn thing. Only noticed when my fingers felt sticky. This one got blooded pretty early in the process. It usually happens when I'm playing with them after thet're all done.

Treatment was a quick shave of the area. Some 100 proof Vodka, cutting fluid...ya that's it....cutting fluid...., and some super glue. Sure as hell hurt more than the cut.

Anxiously awaiting the day my grinder ambushes me and then you can all call me Stumpy McNubbs.

TimboKhan
July 14, 2008, 01:19 PM
No saw should make you bleed your own blood.

Ah, Dodgeball. Your silly movie lines come in handy yet again...

Jason_G
July 14, 2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah. Guy I worked with at Winn Dixie back when I was in high school cut his hand on the meat market saw. Tendon was cut and shot up into his forearm. Major surgery to reattach everything. Had a funky looking brace on his wrist/hand for months for it to heal.
That sucks. I hate waiting on those kinds of cuts to heal. It's a PITA when you cut your fingers, and you have a job or hobby that requires you to work with your hands. Worst I ever had was when I cut a finger pretty badly working construction. Cut a flap down the side of my finger, and when I went to rinse it off, you could see the bone and last joint on my ring finger when the flap opened up. It took about a month before I was back to good. I got a nerve, but no tendons thank God.
My brother cut his wrist open from punching a pane of glass (thought it was Plexiglas). Severed 8 tendons, an artery, and two nerves. He used to be able to throw a 90 mph fastball, a wicked curve, and had serious colleges looking to give him a free ride before his accident. Surgeon told him he wouldn't play ball again, but he ended up pitching for Southern Arkansas and getting a championship ring there.

Anyway, I digress.

Hope you heal up quickly.

Jason

CK
July 14, 2008, 07:54 PM
Btw, should put up a caution on the thread title, just in case children visiting.

nalioth
July 14, 2008, 08:02 PM
Btw, should put up a caution on the thread title, just in case children visiting. Say what?

Kids who can reach the computer have never seen a little boo-boo?

TimboKhan
July 14, 2008, 08:03 PM
Why does it need a caution? It's just a cut, nothing that small children haven't seen a hundred times. It's a little gross, I guess, but it's totally a high road post.

JShirley
July 14, 2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, major graphic wound would be one thing.

It's good and healthy to see what can happen if you play with power tools, kids...

hso
July 14, 2008, 10:23 PM
AW,

Grinder burn sure stings.

ED,

How's the hand doing?

cracked butt
July 17, 2008, 01:24 PM
Ah, Dodgeball. Your silly movie lines come in handy yet again...

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a bandsaw.

mattk
July 18, 2008, 05:42 PM
Take a salt tablet, rub some dirt on it and walk it off.:neener:

Eric Draven
September 12, 2008, 12:02 AM
My hand healed up great...it didnt stop me from working,but it slowed me down. No worries though, back to good. :) Man, you all have had some wicked cuts too. OOOOOFF.

Blofeld
September 12, 2008, 10:23 AM
Junior High shop class taught me that everything in a shop will try to kill you even if you are careful.

People died all the time, according to the teacher, and it was always 3 years ago, and always horrific.

Hope you're feeling better, E.D.

Harlan
September 12, 2008, 11:42 AM
Some super glue and you should be right back to work ;)

Eric Draven
September 12, 2008, 04:06 PM
Ya guyz..I'm much better now. And i left a killer scar. I was lucky there were no tendons cut,that coulda been the end of my knifemaking forever. Thank God for well honed reflexes. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Eric Draven Takes one for the Team..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!