would you own a handgun by a company known for horrible customer service?

PDA

Doogy
July 11, 2008, 11:58 AM
I've read reports by people praising the customer support and turnaround times by some manufacturers, while I've also heard the laments from others that seem to be often heard about other gun makers. The first thing that comes to mind with the latter is the seemingly horrid service that HK gives to their US civilian customers.

Would you buy a higher priced handgun from a company that is widely accepted (or seemingly so) as being very poor in customer service and turnaround times?

just a thread for discussion.......

If you enjoyed reading about "would you own a handgun by a company known for horrible customer service?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matt-J2
July 11, 2008, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't, but given that I'm too poor to be in the market for a higher end handgun anyway, I guess it's not a problem I've encountered.

atblis
July 11, 2008, 12:14 PM
EAA. I still own one (have had as many as 4 at a time). It does keep me from buying more.

M2 Carbine
July 11, 2008, 12:17 PM
Mostly not, but I still buy some brands, like Ruger, who gave me terrible CS.

EAA was so bad that I gave away a EAA 45 Witness Compact. Last week I was looking at some guns and as soon as I saw that they were EAA I put them down.

You mentioned HK. I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.
I have a 9mm HK P9S in the junk box because HK won't send me a couple parts. After HK hanging up on me four times, someone finally said you have to order parts from a authorized HK dealer. Trouble is the only authorized HK dealer around won't order HK parts because he says they are too big a pain in the butt to deal with.

So, yes I will not buy guns from companies that give terrible customer service.:mad:

ZeSpectre
July 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
I have in the past.
I learned my lesson.
Won't do it now.

gtmerkley
July 11, 2008, 12:21 PM
I have some.

sqlbullet
July 11, 2008, 12:34 PM
Anyone would. No one would.

Both are valid statements. If your over-riding factors are features and caliber that only have a single source, you will likely go to that source.

Case in point:

Acceptable Caliber: 10mm
Features: Doube stack, condition 1 carry, no grip safety, true SA trigger.

Guns that meet the criteria: Bren Ten, EAA Witness.

Given the option between Dornaus and Dixon customer service (they have been out of business for 22 years) and EAA, I will take EAA.

However, if my criteria were more along the lines of 40 cal or greater, DA/SA with decocker, 8 rounds of more in the magazine, I can promise you the EAA Zastava would be removed from the list early.

mec
July 11, 2008, 12:40 PM
I try not to and have made non-buying decisions based on poor customer service and generally poor behavior on the part of segments of the gun industry.

On the other hand, if you carry that practice anywhere close to the extreme, you will end up like Young Goodman Brown sitting at home with nothing to do while the rest of the villiage dances with the devil in the cold moonlight.

spyderdude
July 11, 2008, 12:58 PM
Customer service won't matter when the zombies come! :neener:

Seriously though, I wouldn't own a gun from a company with bad customer service. I like to own guns where I can either fix them myself or have a gun smith fix for me. I hate the idea of sending my guns through the mail.

Boats
July 11, 2008, 01:07 PM
Had an HK USPc. Tried ordering a mag. Placed on backorder for over six months. What an ordeal. No more HK.

(Besides, the crappy trigger was baked into the thing).

CountGlockula
July 11, 2008, 01:09 PM
No, that's why I own Glocks. Their customer service rocks!

buzz_knox
July 11, 2008, 01:27 PM
For what it's worth, there have been reports that HK is turning its act around. One example is a friend got a used P7M10 with a slight defect in the barrel. He sent it to HK for a tuneup and to see about the defect. They took care of him quickly, even finding a new barrel.

MAKster
July 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
The quality of a company's customer service really only matters if the gun is likely to need repairs. Beretta has a reputation for poor customer service, but the 92FS and their shotguns are high quality so the likelihood of ever needing to contact customer service is remote. It's worth the risk of poor customer service when buying a Berretta but it is more of a risk with Taurus.

Tom Servo
July 11, 2008, 02:00 PM
I've never had to use customer service for most of the guns I've owned. The two exceptions are S&W (who were marvelous) and Kahr (which was a nightmare).

I'll gladly buy S&W. I will no longer consider Kahr.

Some of it may be just superstition, but if I should need support on a product, I want to know I can get it.

Hoffy
July 11, 2008, 02:09 PM
A higher priced handgun...no.

I would figure that excellent service would be a part of the $$$ premium.

A lower priced handgun...yes.

Case example: I really like my PT1911. However, if anything goes wrong...I figure I'm pretty much on my own. No problems after 18 months and 'tousands of rounds.

wyocarp
July 11, 2008, 02:11 PM
I my fair share of guns, but won't buy another KIMBER after dealing with their customer service.

Paragon
July 11, 2008, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't say that I'd not buy it, but it is a great influence on my decision to not buy it. As far as "not for cheap guns", I don't think that makes a difference. Whether I'm spending 200 or 2000 dollars, I expect to get a decent product. $200 is a lot of money, and I don't want to waste it on something I could never use.

fastbolt
July 11, 2008, 02:12 PM
would you own a handgun by a company known for horrible customer service?

NO.

Treo
July 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
Ya know, some questions just kinda answer them selves don't they?

Gibbles
July 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
I have never had to deal with CS yet, I could of once for my Glock, but it was just a $2 part and mostly my fault so I ordered it from brownells with some parts for my 1911 while I was at it.
I have Contacted RRA before while I was using some of their parts for a AR pistol project, they were very helpful.

AndyC
July 11, 2008, 02:20 PM
No - not ever. Life's too short to knowingly put up with sh*tty service.

tinygnat219
July 11, 2008, 02:29 PM
Lesson learned: Nope.

DrewH
July 11, 2008, 02:31 PM
I would have to say yes, since I don't expect to deal with customer service much on a quality gun. On the other hand I have dealt with HK, Sig, Glock and Beretta and S&W C.S. (mostly upgrades, night sights and the like, a couple of problems) and they were all fine. If I had run into some horrible C.S. I might change my tune.

Jiml3
July 11, 2008, 04:33 PM
No!!!!! From past experience in order of worst:
1.) EAA
2.) Beretta
3.) Sig

I have had the very best C/S from S&W.

wingman
July 11, 2008, 04:45 PM
After years of saying I would not, I did, purchased a EAA witness match elite, so far the experience is good however rather then send it in for repairs I would select a well known smith and pay for it.

I am fortunate in that I have had good service from all other companies and there have been many in past 40 years.

SAWBONES
July 11, 2008, 04:48 PM
You mean like Kahr and Taurus?

Not anymore. Sold 'em, won't ever buy another.

weisse52
July 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
NO and NO. Never again.

wristtwister
July 11, 2008, 05:37 PM
I have a Zastava from EAA and it's a piece of junk. After reading their "warranty" it states that "any modifications you make void the warranty", so polishing the slide rails and grinding down their manufacturing mistakes to smoothe out the slide path "voids my warranty".

I've had nothing but good customer service from S&W and Walther, and if Ruger ever gets off the dime and sends me a box to fix my SR-9, I'll have a look at how their's is... but I suppose you get what you pay for... sometimes less.

WT

smee781
July 12, 2008, 10:35 AM
Quote:

I have in the past.
I learned my lesson.
Won't do it now.

Taurus!:cuss::banghead::fire:

++

Rinspeed
July 12, 2008, 10:41 AM
I don't think I'd buy a Taurus because of all the horror stories I've read. I've had great service from Sig the couple times I needed them.

mtngunr
July 12, 2008, 10:44 AM
It would depend upon whether the gun had a basic good rep, not the customer service.....I've only sent back two guns in my entire life....I've tried to be a careful shopper in 30+yrs of gun buying, and this includes milsurps, milsurp importers having some of the worst customer service records....the two guns sent back several times each were NIB turkeys.....

lee n. field
July 12, 2008, 10:56 AM
Would you buy a higher priced handgun from a company that is widely accepted (or seemingly so) as being very poor in customer service and turnaround times?

No, I would (and have) bought a lower priced handgun made by a company with a rep for poor customer service. That's one of the trade offs you might make buying a less expensive gun.

I wouldn't make that trade off with an expensive gun, not without an independent source of parts and service.

makarovnik
July 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
Not unless it was used and was very inexpensive. Taurus makes some decent guns but I won't own one because their turn time is horrible.

FranklyTodd
July 12, 2008, 11:08 AM
I can't say I wouldn't ever, but it has influenced my decision.

Choosing between HK P2000SK and Sig P239, it was Sig's customer service reputation that cinched the deal.

Ironically, I needed their customer service because the gun wouldn't feed properly. They took care of things in a very friendly, very prompt manner.

Tberger688
July 12, 2008, 01:16 PM
Springfield armory is great
S&W is great
Sig is good
Beretta is good
Ruger is good/fair

Itís all about attitude, if I was running one of these companies and my customer service person was rude to a customer on the phone- - -good by! Get another job someplace else.

If a part takes 4 months to get for one reason or other all you have to do is be nice and explain the situation and most people would be happy. If your nasty, bingo, lost customer its just not worth it.

Sir Aardvark
July 12, 2008, 11:58 PM
This is one of the primary reasons that I frequent this forum - to learn about what is out there!

On THR you are able to get first-hand accounts about what is good and bad out there in Consumer-land... if you find multiple posts about some lousy product then consider yourself warned! caveat emptor.

To answer your question: No, I would not knowingly purchase a handgun from a lousy company.

rcellis
July 13, 2008, 12:49 AM
The problem is determining what the reality of 'poor customer service' is. By that I mean, who do you believe? The foul mouthed screamer who claims that XYZ treated him badly? Or the polite gentleman who doesn't seem particularly enthusiastic? Or the 400 negative posts about ABC that seem to be 3 guys feeding off each other? Or how about the 16 week wait time that turns out to be because the poor fella sent his gun to the wrong address? I can think of any number of 'bad service' cases that may have causes completely unrelated to how the company handles problems. And other cases where people are being run around, but run around skillfully.

I haven't worked out a reliable filter for this noise yet. Half of my collection are from manufacturers who have 'bad reputations' in some quarters, but I've not had similar experiences.

Johnny Guest
July 13, 2008, 01:44 AM
And now this has become a bash-fest.

CLOSED

If you enjoyed reading about "would you own a handgun by a company known for horrible customer service?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!