New version of RED DAWN.

PDA

MT GUNNY
July 12, 2008, 04:45 AM
I just heard on the Wilkow Majority A new Red Dawn movie is being made.
Any Info on it ??

I would like to see allot of todays weapons involved IE ARs Barrett's .50 cal

Maybe it will be a version of Taliban Invasion:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "New version of RED DAWN." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
July 12, 2008, 05:00 AM
One can hope but I doubt it will be made and if it was it would probably make the Wolverines the bad guys.

Hope I'm wrong!

grilledcheese
July 12, 2008, 06:26 AM
Geez, enough with the remakes already. Red Dawn is a cult classic. I sure wish those idiots in Hollywood would just leave stuff like that alone.

But maybe that's just me...

Jeffrey

CajunBass
July 12, 2008, 06:29 AM
When you don't have any ideas of your own.

Swipe someone elses.

Golden Hound
July 12, 2008, 06:41 AM
I hate remakes.

The best survivalist/SHTF movie of all time is The Postman with Kevin Costner. Got a lot of bad reviews, and it's very long, but it has a good message and also a realistic attitude towards survival in a world gone awry - strength is in numbers, and the lone wolf roaming around by himself is just going to get picked off.

MCgunner
July 12, 2008, 07:09 AM
There's no one in Hollywood with an imagination anymore....well, except the South Park guys. :D

Thin Black Line
July 12, 2008, 08:06 AM
How about this one re-made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVfNGWK3ko

Could use Vin Diesel and keep the hair styling the same.

Bruce333
July 12, 2008, 08:13 AM
Any Info on it ??

They just announced the Director and writer on the 9th. I never pay much attention to these announcements, they don't even have a working draft of a script yet. A lot can happen before actual filming starts. There are hundreds of originals and remakes shelved before filming starts.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i28e0d4f7991010721fa8d721c07ce0eb
'Red Dawn' redo lands director, scribe
MGM will remake the 1984 action drama

By Jay A. Fernandez and Borys Kit

July 9, 2008, 12:00 AM ET

"Red Dawn"
"Red Dawn" will be redone.

Screenwriter Carl Ellsworth has been hired to recraft the ultimate homeland invasion story about a new generation of besieged high schoolers.

Dan Bradley, a second unit director and/or stunt coordinator on "The Bourne Ultimatum," "Spider-Man 3" and the forthcoming "Quantum of Solace," will move into the director's chair for the update. Contrafilm's Beau Flynn and Tripp Vinson will produce.

MGM toppers Harry Sloan and Mary Parent announced the remake -- along with a big-budget rebuild of "RoboCop," which director Darren Aronofsky among others has recently been in to discuss -- in May at the Festival de Cannes. As the studio regroups, its executives have realized that the strong MGM library has numerous classic and cult properties it can exploit for a new audience.

"The tone is going to be very intense, very much keeping in mind the post-9/11 world that we're in," says Ellsworth, who was 11 when the original was released. "As 'Red Dawn' scared the heck out of people in 1984, we feel that the world is kind of already filled with a lot of paranoia and unease, so why not scare the hell out of people again?"

Ellsworth will be working from a story written by Jeremy Passmore. Vincent Newman ("A Man Apart") is also acting in a producer capacity.

The original "Dawn" was the Cold War brainchild of writer-director John Milius, who devised a World War III invasion of America by the Soviets and Cubans. The film followed the scrappy insurgency of a group of Midwestern teenagers who take on their high school mascot name -- "Wolverines!" -- as a rallying cry of resistance.

The 1984 action drama was the first film released in theaters with the newly devised PG-13 rating because of its intense subject matter and violent content.

Ellsworth, who is repped by ICM and the Shuman Co., most recently handed in an adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's comics series "Y: The Last Man" to New Line. He also wrote "Red Eye," co-wrote "Disturbia" and rewrote the screenplay for the "Last House on the Left" remake, produced by the original film's writer-director, Wes Craven. Rogue Pictures will release it early next year.

Bradley also is repped by ICM.

beretta92d
July 12, 2008, 08:14 AM
imdb.com listed one titled red dawn 2010.
have to sign subscribe to get info on cast and such..
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234719/

nerfsrule2
July 12, 2008, 08:58 AM
Starring Al Gore as himself.....Directing the Wolverines from his secret underground complex.. "Don't shoot at them, it will release Dangerous Co2.. Just throw rocks, Just throw rocks.!.!.!.":D

Cmdr. Gravez0r
July 12, 2008, 09:13 AM
"The tone is going to be very intense, very much keeping in mind the post-9/11 world that we're in," says Ellsworth, who was 11 when the original was released. "As 'Red Dawn' scared the heck out of people in 1984, we feel that the world is kind of already filled with a lot of paranoia and unease, so why not scare the hell out of people again?"

Good noises to hear. What made Red Dawn so cool was that it was slightly plausible, gave it a "this could happen to you" feel.

22-rimfire
July 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
The scenario holds a fascination to many. Look at the popularity of SHTF and survival forums? Being there and living it may be a different story. Bring 'em on!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
If you don't like re-makes, don't watch it. I say, only good can come from a new SHTF, gunfighting movie. :p

hankdatank1362
July 12, 2008, 09:29 AM
Amen.

jrfoxx
July 12, 2008, 09:35 AM
Eh, they'll screw it up by giving Tom "crazy" Cruise the lead, (or worse, George Clooney just to really make us hate it :barf:), and have his doing summersaults out of Soviet helocopters onto his getaway horse,and then riding away with the girl (whom he'll get of course, she wont have the hots for some lousy Col.) , who will be played by Jodie Foster.

And as mentioned, the US , if not the Wolverines,will come out looking like the bad guys for the most part, somehow

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 12, 2008, 09:45 AM
Oh, and when is the release date? If it happens to coincide with an Obama-nation administration, then gun shops are gonna see rifles sales like they haven't seen in decades! :)

Atla
July 12, 2008, 10:38 AM
For the re-make the Mexicans should invade....

Oh wait, nevermind.

Auburn1992
July 12, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hollywood lost all its imagination when Imaginationland got attacked by ManBearPig (if you watch south park you'll know) :)

GBExpat
July 12, 2008, 10:54 AM

Oh wait, nevermind.

Hahahaha ... :)

bogie
July 12, 2008, 10:54 AM
They should rehack Chuck Norris in Invasion USA...

(IMHO, this is the film that pretty much guaranteed the original AWB).

yokel
July 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
War, like life, is not a movie, especially when your enemies don't watch the same movies, and don't buy into the same tired narratives.

jerkface11
July 12, 2008, 12:08 PM
They're redoing RoboCop???? The nerve of them. They'll use CGI for everything and make it look like crap. They probably won't make the future quite so dystopian either. It'll probably have global warming as a plotline as well.

GEM
July 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
The problem I have with such movies is the military ridiculousness of the premise. No conceptualization of how difficult a real invasion would be as compared to a terrorist attack.

Only invaders like the ID4 aliens or WoW tripods have the logistics. The latter movie stunk though.

I know the available force levels in the world and the rest of the world would be hard put to get one division to our shores.

jerkface11
July 12, 2008, 12:41 PM
The best part of War Of The Worlds was that the last car on earth that still ran was a '90 something Dodge Caravan!! They don't run when aliens aren't trying to destroy the planet!

wheelgunslinger
July 12, 2008, 12:43 PM
Speaking of WoW tripods, I wish they'd make the next installment of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Guillermo DelToro as Director.

I need another new movie with the requisite amount of Sean Connery and Guns. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgSG8hSnQNU)

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2003_The_League_of_Extraordinary_Gentlemen/2003_lxg_004.jpg

Just Jim
July 12, 2008, 01:02 PM
ERRR AHHH the new Red Dawn may be about Americans invading Mexico and Juan Valdez killing us with his coffee.

So far Hollywood hasn't made a good remake of anything to my point of view. Those dopers out of hollywood can't come up with new ideas and the dope bends the stories that are allready there.

They could make an excelent movie with todays Computor graphics if they did Lucifers Hammer. A good book with lots of gun and survival action. However it would take someone running the show that ain't full of dope.

jj

Rupestris
July 12, 2008, 01:06 PM
If the title is to remain Red Dawn, I'd assume a comunist invasion. The original was Russia with help from the Cubans.

If they stick to the story I'd look for a Chinese invasion with the Chi-Coms getting assistance from the middle east or 1MM+ Muslim middle easterners that are already in this country.

HeavyDuty
July 12, 2008, 01:28 PM
If the title is to remain Red Dawn, I'd assume a comunist invasion. The original was Russia with help from the Cubans.

Then make it "Blue Dawn". A UN invasion complete with black helicopters...

:evil:

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 12, 2008, 01:37 PM
World of Warcraft has been made into a movie? :scrutiny:

Pilot
July 12, 2008, 01:37 PM
I just hope they don't put a love story in it and fake, forced roles for women to make them look stronger than the men. :banghead:

jerkface11
July 12, 2008, 01:47 PM
Red Dawn already had strong female roles though. As did RoboCop.

CypherNinja
July 12, 2008, 01:56 PM
World of Warcraft has been made into a movie?

LOL. He meant War of the Worlds. ;) :D

Just Jim
July 12, 2008, 02:01 PM
Yep the new wolverines will be all lesbians if hollywood has their way. No longer will they put weak willed women with hearthrob stories. It will be women butched out and knowing how to use guns better than any of you guys:D:D

Hey it's Hollywood, anything can happen.:scrutiny:

jj

Leanwolf
July 12, 2008, 02:05 PM
"And as mentioned, the US , if not the Wolverines,will come out looking like the bad guys for the most part, somehow."

Count on it.

L.W.

Pilot
July 12, 2008, 02:06 PM
Red Dawn already had strong female roles though. As did RoboCop.

Didn't see RoboCop, but I thought the depiction of "strong" females was reasonable and well done in Red Dawn. I mean roles like Demi Moore in "G.I. Jane". Totally ridiculous.

DoubleTapDrew
July 12, 2008, 02:25 PM
Red White and Green Dawn: Reconquista of the Southern States :p
Starring: Ted Nugent, as Jed

The thing I liked about the original was (given the circumstances) it seemed plausible, albeit very optimistic, about how a small group of locals used what they had and knew to carry out guerilla strikes. One of the few movies where they actually used weapons and equipment taken from their foes to become equally armed instead of a muscled action hero taking out a group of AK toting rebels armed only with a pistol and his fists of steel.

I like the concept of doing a modern day version of the movie but it will be a miracle if they don't screw it up with today's over-the-top styles and crazy CGI action.

FourNineFoxtrot
July 12, 2008, 04:05 PM
Too early to know for sure what they're going to do with it. I'll reserve opinion until we know more, although I have suspicions.

It would be nice to have a movie with the same basic theme as the original... and even better for it to have the impact of the original. Neither of those is likely, however.

I have to point out that the original Red Dawn only came about because it was John Milius' pet project, and Milius was always a bit of an odd duck in Hollywood, way to the political right for the establishment there. I very much doubt that he's going to be allowed to have a hand in the remake of his own movie, sad to say.

As such, I'm pretty much assuming that any remake will either be a travesty that consciously refutes the entire purpose of the original, or have a plot reminiscent of a Uwe Boll movie (which is to say, none), thus rendering incomprehensible any point it might have had to make.

In other words, I'm cautiously pessimistic... which describes my view of most things, actually.

Just Jim
July 12, 2008, 04:14 PM
The last Red Dawn was just a small town America show. I would like to see it start in NY with a nuke hitting and the survivors making it out to live in the countryside.

Whoever would set the nuke off wouldn't have to send in troops, we would kill each other in no time.

jj

kentucky bucky
July 12, 2008, 04:23 PM
What's it about? Is the country being invaded be Mexicans this time? Oh......my bad ,that wouldn't be anything new, we already are!

Just Jim
July 12, 2008, 04:31 PM
Knowing Hollywood, this will be Broke Back Red Dawn-Survival of the Sheepherders. Filmed in SanFrancisco with blow up sheep.

Come on guys you got to laugh a little.

jj

Atla
July 12, 2008, 04:51 PM
I dunno, if they do my Mexican Invasion idea they could refer to it as the 'Yellow Dawn'.

(sorry folks, that was the 'nicest' term I could come up with to use in place of Red)

paintballdude902
July 12, 2008, 05:01 PM
Starring Al Gore as himself.....Directing the Wolverines from his secret underground complex.. "Don't shoot at them, it will release Dangerous Co2.. Just throw rocks, Just throw rocks.!.!.!."

do u think the invaders will be man-bear-pigs?

Mr White
July 12, 2008, 05:07 PM
2 possibilities:

Blue Dawn, with the UN troops being the good guys, fighting the crazy, gun loving Americans

or

Red Dawn, with the US being invaded by the Chinese and a group of American kids harrassing the invaders with everything BUT guns. No Chinese troops will be killed, just knocked out and rendered useless for combat.

Ragnar Danneskjold
July 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
Unfortunately, I can totally see this remake being some eco-friendly high school students taking on a evil corporation/republican led coup of the United States.

selector67
July 12, 2008, 07:36 PM
The U.S. could have some devastating natural disaster, or a terrorist attack on major U.S. cities using nuclear weapons, there would be major kaos in the country, where as the U.S. government would call upon the U.N. to help restore law and order, and U.N. troops would come in, but instead of being peacekeepers, they would be invaders, destroying any resistance to their plan to finally take over the United States, but the armed American resistance movement fights back against U.N. occupation.

Zedicus
July 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
I'm Expecting the worst, but remaining hopeful, heck Jericho was produced in CA and it wasn't to bad at all.

neviander
July 12, 2008, 08:14 PM
The best survivalist/SHTF movie of all time is The Postman
Oh yeah, I loved that movie. Never trust movie critics.

steak-knife
July 12, 2008, 08:17 PM
Just a reality check, but the only way the U.S. is going to get invaded is if we give our country away. There's just no way we're going to loose in a stand-up fight. If there is a re-make of Red Dawn, I could see Europeon lead UN troops being "invited" into our country by a corrupt/weak U.S. government to "set things right."

I didn't get a chance to read through the entire D.C. vs. Heller decision, but so far, it does not mention once that RKBA is also for the individual to defend against the citizen's own corrupt government, let alone for self defense.

I don't recall the name of the politician from Texas, but she had the great idea of inviting the UN to do the recount on one of our presidential elections. Unfortunately, I'm not kidding. Also, I was surprised that she was from Texas.

armoredman
July 12, 2008, 08:23 PM
The Wolverines will be renamed the PuffBalls and armed with tasers and pillows.

Stevie-Ray
July 12, 2008, 11:02 PM
Could be Dread Dawn where we are attacked by the Chi-coms, but Jimmy Carter and Nancy Pelosi go out to negotiate. The Chi-coms turn tail and flee back to their own country out of sheer boredom.

bthest86
July 12, 2008, 11:04 PM
If they stick to the story I'd look for a Chinese invasion with the Chi-Coms getting assistance from the middle east or 1MM+ Muslim middle easterners that are already in this country.

Yes! A modern day Birth of a Nation!

nerfsrule2
July 13, 2008, 03:37 AM
do u think the invaders will be man-bear-pigs? Yes I Do!! South Park all the way!!!!!:D

Ian Sean
July 13, 2008, 04:10 AM
So...which current day left wing actor do we want to see play the Mayor's kid.:D

Pilot
July 13, 2008, 02:02 PM
Maybe it will be named "Brokeback Dawn"?

strangelittleman
July 13, 2008, 02:27 PM
I like "The Family Guy" Peter Griffin's Musical Red Dawn.....

GEM
July 13, 2008, 09:52 PM
All the WalMarts turn into giant robots and stomp on Targets for the first wave of the Chinese conquest.

Dravur
July 14, 2008, 12:49 PM
the Movie Event of 2010....

CHARTREUSE DAWN!

<cue announcer voice>

in a small midwestern town, life is about to change.

<cue music>

Life was peaceful for the evil bankers and businessmen stealing the wealth from the lowly townspeople. When over the horizon comes planes carrying Chinese troops, there to liberate the hapless workers from their fate!.

A small group of terrorists band together, taking on the moniker of the local sports team, and the "Politically Correct Evil White Men" are born!

This band of Terrorists, PCEWM take on the communist liberators in epic battles and in the final scene are massacred by the townspeople as they cry out to their great god Capitalism.

Of course, they don't burn the bodies, as they could cause Global Warming.

In the end, the whole town is composted, Al Gore throws the final clump of dirt on the town, flies off in his rented jumbo jet..

See it today in a Theatre near you!

Don't forget to bring a can of food for the homeless....

<end Music?

mountainpharm
August 4, 2009, 09:17 AM
Several folks called this one earlier. Looks like we'll be invaded by the Chi-Coms with a little help from the Russians in the remake. Full story here (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1855311/red_dawn_remake_casting_proceeds_apace.html).

Red Dawn is very high on my list of all-time favorites and I have trouble believing a remake will live up to the original. You can't recreate the cast and you certainly can't recreate the Cold War atmosphere of the mid-80s that permeated the entire country. I would much rather see this "remake" completed as a stand-alone project with separate title and no reference to the 1984 version. That being said, I will go see it, if nothing more than curiosity. Can Hollywood produce a movie that doesn't have a blatant leftist slant to it? Likewise, I'm curious to see the film adaptation of Atlas Shrugged.

Interestingly enough, IMDB indicates that Milius is one of the screenwriters of the remake is John Milius, the director and co-writer of the original. That certainly raises my interest level, as Milius is one of the few pro-gun folks in Hollywood. By the way, the release date is scheduled for 9/24/10.

highorder
August 4, 2009, 10:12 AM
The U.S. could have some devastating natural disaster, or a terrorist attack on major U.S. cities using nuclear weapons, there would be major kaos in the country, where as the U.S. government would call upon the U.N. to help restore law and order, and U.N. troops would come in, but instead of being peacekeepers, they would be invaders, destroying any resistance to their plan to finally take over the United States, but the armed American resistance movement fights back against U.N. occupation.

Plausable.

starkadder
August 4, 2009, 12:18 PM
I saw Red Dawn when I was in high school, and have never been in a theater since then where people reacted so strongly, and loudly to what was on the screen, but I grew up in a time when "the Russians were the enemy and were just waiting to attack" being an army brat we lived this nightmare every day. I remember my Mother sitting up all night smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee when Dad would get that ALERT ONE call at 2:00am, and it actually started me on the path to financial ruin that is gun collecting and preparing for when the SHTF.:D I almost hate to admit that a movie affected me so strongly but if you were a teenager when it was released you probably "know what I mean".

I can't imagine a full on invasion of the U.S. by any foriegn nation or group of nations having much success, BUT we have "citizens" here who would jump at the chance to help some nations bring us around to thier way of thinking.:scrutiny:
I see that a few posters cited The Postman as one of thier favorite "post apocolyptic" movies, and it did have it's moments, although IMO too few for a movie that loooooong. I just felt cheated at the end because I have always invisioned what a mounted cavalry battle with automatic weapons would look like on film, :evil:not that I would ever involve myself in such suicidal lunacy.:what:
I just hope that they do it right, doubtfull but we can hope.

This is this! It's not something else, it's this!

Don't pull it if you don't plan to use it, and don't use it if you don't plan to kill! (get over it!)

ALWAYS REMEMBER OUR MEN AND WOMEN OVER THERE.

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 4, 2009, 12:21 PM
Despite the fact this somehow slipped through the cracks a year ago, The High Road is not a movie discussion forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "New version of RED DAWN." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!