Stupid forum software question

PDA

bogie
July 12, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm going to have a choice between smf and phpbb for setting up a forum - unfortunately can't use vbulletin... Which would you guys who actually know stuff about that sorta thing go with?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid forum software question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
July 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
PHPBB has excellent support and is more widely used than SMF.

PHPBB also gives you more options.

Derek Zeanah
July 12, 2008, 02:06 PM
The problem with phpBB is that it's got a shoddy record with security. But, it's nice to use and has reasonable features. SMF isn't bad at all, but it's a bit spartan in comparison.

IIRC Tyme likes punBB, but it's very spartan.

I'd probably pick SMF, but then you probably knew that. :)

nalioth
July 12, 2008, 02:34 PM
The problem with phpBB is that it's got a shoddy record with security. I think the problem with phpbb 'security' is the same problem as the "WASRs are all crap with bent sights and crap triggers" - the numbers involved.

I think the "security issues" are caused by 'weekend warriors' who don't know beans about *nix or data security trying to run a public forum. PHPBB is one of the more widely used ones, and when "Joe Weekend-Data-Admin" sets the wrong permissions or doesn't keep up on the updates, "security issues" happen.

shadowalker
July 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
phpBB is a good choice for most applications and one of the best free ones, however as Derek mentioned it has had a good number of security problems.

It is possible to make software insecure by improperly installing / configuring it. phpBB is a pretty large target but a good many of them were the result of poor engineering.

It seems like in the past few years phpBB has focused more on security but it takes a while to find all the errors and for the reputation to fade.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid forum software question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!