War Movies You Would Like To See Made

PDA

Harve Curry
July 12, 2008, 01:16 PM
I was watching Saving Private Ryan last night and another thread provoked me to ask what films topics others would like to see made?

I'd like to see two made, both WWII.
I had a friend in the 2nd Rangers who joined the horse cavalry prior to WWII. He was in the beach landings of N.Africa, Italy, and D-Day up the Point du Hoc cliffs. His daughter wrote a script called The Last Horse Soldier.

The other is the story of Ed Ramsey based on his book Lt. Ramsey's War. Lt. Ramsey led the last horse cavalry charge (succesfully) of U.S. soldiers against the Japanese in 1942. Then he led the resistance on the Phillipines and survives to this day.

Both great men.

If you enjoyed reading about "War Movies You Would Like To See Made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maelstrom
July 12, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'd like to see an alternate-timeline type.

Sort of a "What-If" the bombs hadn't been dropped on Japan. I think if people were shown what kind of carnage the alternative would have brought it would eliminate a lot of the guilt that japan occasionally tries to push on us (always conveniently omitting the part where they were trying to conquer the world.)

Shung
July 12, 2008, 01:36 PM
. I think if people were shown what kind of carnage the alternative would have brought it would eliminate a lot of the guilt that japan occasionally tries to push on us

Can't agree more !!!

often I hear people talking about hiroshima and nagasaki, and how bad the nuclear bombing has been in WWII...

Most of the times, those fools have no idea of how terrible were conventional bombing (such as Dresde, hamburg etc etc) ... and made nearly the same causalties..

those 2 bombs (we can argue about the fact that if the 2nd was really necessary, but I personnally think that facing the Japanese culture and mentality, it was (not to speak about the message sent to Stalin..) ) put an end to a 5 years war, AVOIDING the allies to take Japan island by island, with maybe millions of causalties among civilian japanese (see how the acted at Guadalcanal, Guam Saipan and Tinian.. not to mention Okinawa) and GI's..

Often, people who are ashamed about the nuclear bombing of Japan, have NO history clues, about how many hundred thousand lifes it spared..

X-Rap
July 12, 2008, 01:53 PM
I would like to see some made about the current war on terror. A couple good books to make screen plays from would be House to House, Not a Good Day to Die, Lone Surviver. I would also like to see a movie about todays modern Cavalry, this is a bias toward my own son who is a Scout in a Light Infantry Div.
Hollywood probably can't make a decent modern war movie with any objectivity if it happened in the era of GWB. Their hatred blinds them of the duty and sacrifice that has been poured out by todays soldiers, I hope they are stories that will someday be told with some honesty.

The Tourist
July 12, 2008, 02:09 PM
As you know, I believe that Sonny Barger is one of the most misunderstood men in America. The people skills, the charisma and the tenacity he proved on the street--and got him tossed into prison--would be the very elements that could have surpassed Trump or Turner in the boardroom.

During the mid 1960's, Sonny wrote a letter to the President spurred by his disgust for protests against the war. He volunteered the Hells Angels for combat duty. Obviously, the club never went. I don't even believe his letter was answered.

Suppose the letter had made it to the President. In using the Angels for a positive spin, imagine the photo ops of the club reporting to Fort Bragg.

A few years before, the movie "The Dirty Dozen" became a cult favorite. What if the real boys had served in Vietnam. By their nature, one of them would have been awarded at least a Bronze Star.

A movie of that nature might have changed the opinons held by the public.

Avenger
July 12, 2008, 02:15 PM
Some of the actions of the various European Resistance units would certainly make for a good movie. As would the campaign up through Italy, the landings in the south of France, the final push into Berlin. A better version of "Midway" springs to mind. The Ploesti raid. Attu and Kiska. Leyte Gulf, with an emphasis on the battle off Samar.

Cosmoline
July 12, 2008, 02:24 PM
Some of the actions of the various European Resistance units would certainly make for a good movie.

You're right on the money there, and one has been made for release later this year. No idea if it will be any good, but it's a pretty poorly known chapter of the war. It promises some Mosin goodness at any rate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIO8OI0JP50

Attu and Kiska

That was going to be my suggestion. Of all the American battles of the war, this one is probably the least well known. The entire matter was buried and brushed over during the war for propaganda reasons. They didn't want it advertised that Japanese troops had taken US soil. Attu was an intense battle, IIRC second only to Iwo in percentage of US troops wounded or killed.

Aaryq
July 12, 2008, 02:32 PM
Some movies I would like to see is a movie about the US Cavalry and the Indian Wars, the battles of Tripoli, Chipultapec, the Spanish-American War, and the "Banana Wars."

FLoppyTOE
July 12, 2008, 02:35 PM
I want to see one on John Paul Jones. Taking it to the British during the American Revolution. Also never seen anything on the War of 1812. Would be interesting.

svtruth
July 12, 2008, 02:37 PM
resistance in WWII.
The Russian-Finnish War, get to see those Lahitis in action.

Pilot
July 12, 2008, 02:40 PM
A movie about the Luftwaffe towards the end of the war, especially the ME 262 squadrons. Those guys had been fighting almost continously since the Spanish Civil War, knew the war was lost but kept on fighting to the end. Yes, they were on the wrong side, but showed extreme bravery in defending their homeland. Something along the lines of "Das Boot" but with planes.

Im283
July 12, 2008, 02:47 PM
I would love to see "Guns of the South" made into a movie. Nothing would beat seeing the Reb's beating down the Yankees with them AK47's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Guns_of_the_south.jpg

waverace
July 12, 2008, 02:49 PM
The world war 1 tank battles showing how the first tanks were developed in an historically and horrifically realistic way , I was in tanks and know some of the history but would love to see it as a movie . WW1 was a nasty , tough war , impossible to imagine what it was like to be there with the stench of death and the futility of the trenches .
My deepest respect to anyone who has served in ANY conflict .

AndyC
July 12, 2008, 02:51 PM
Russian-Finnish War, definitely - I don't believe most people even know that there was such a war and I'd like to know more myself.

Not very PC, but I'd like to see a film on bush-conflicts in Africa eg. Rhodesia.

waverace
July 12, 2008, 02:56 PM
War is not PC anyway it needs to be told as it was to respect those that were there . by this I mean that it needs to show the real horrors of war from both sides that is not always pc .
To add I hate pc its part of whats wrong with the world today , call a spade a spade not an implement for digging .
sorry if you were offended Andyc was not my intention , thank you for serving and risking your life for us all .

AndyC
July 12, 2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, thanks for that headsup - I've been through two of 'em meself so far and hadn't realised that.

Seeing that I apparently have to spell it out - what I meant was showing things from a non-PC persepctive such as the South Africans and Rhodesians - those nasty "white supremacist" types, you know?

Diver
July 12, 2008, 03:32 PM
I've always thought that Alexander Henry's account of the attack at Fort Michilimackinac would make a terrific movie.

http://www.uwo.ca/english/canadianpoetry/eng%20274e/henry.htm

Kalashnikov
July 12, 2008, 03:50 PM
Something with the Irish rebellion.

esq_stu
July 12, 2008, 03:53 PM
WWI

I'm particularly interested in Harry Truman and his experiences. There's a short passage about it in David McCullough's biography of him. The reason I'm interested is that Truman, an artillary officer, reportedly violated orders by opening up on German artillery before they opened up Pennsylvania's Keystone division, of whom my Grandfather was a part. Without that act, I would not be here today.

I'd also like to see a realistic depiction of Alvin York's famed exploits.

Cosmoline
July 12, 2008, 03:59 PM
The Russian-Finnish War, get to see those Lahitis in action

Have you checked out Talvisota, Tuntematon Sotilas or Rukajärven tie? There's a new one out called Tali-Ihantala 1944. Check youtube for clips. Rukajärven tie ("Ambush") is easy to find stateside. Talvisota is not so easy but the full film is often posted on line. I haven't seen the new one yet or Unknown Soldier other than segments, but they look interesting from the clips. Talvisota remains the best of them though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ELfMprEbrI

igor
July 12, 2008, 04:03 PM
Russia vs. Finland - Winter War, the movie: http://www.beyondhollywood.com/winter-war-1989-movie-review/

Väinö Linna's novel "The unknown soldier", original 1955 movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048752/

and a 1985 remake:
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109187

The book is truly something. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unknown_Soldier_(novel)

FourNineFoxtrot
July 12, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'd like to see a movie about pre-Napoleonic gunpowder warfare that doesn't treat the action as a throw away scene.

Particularly, I would love to see a movie about Gustavus Adolphus. I don't think it's ever been done. The Thirty Years' War has nearly endless possibilities for movie-making. Nobody's ever touched it, presumably because most people have difficulty pinning down which century it happened in, and care less than nothing about "why". Still... can you imagine what a cinematic spectacle a huge set-piece battle like Breitenfeld would be? And the historical cast is enormous: There's plenty of drama there, lots of good guys, bad guys, and real characters to show however one wanted. Wallenstein would make an awesome villain... he practically helped invent the concept of villainy.

Failing that, how about a movie about the Spanish Reconquista that has nothing to do with El Cid? Or how about a new movie about El Cid?

Has anyone ever made a movie about Lepanto?

Or the fall of Constantinople?
Now that would be one hell of a movie.

What's Ridley Scott doing these days? He seems to be the only director willing to tackle historical spectacles anymore. Say what you will about the historical accuracy of Gladiator or Kingdom of Heaven (and there's certainly enough to say), at least he made them. I'll take one of Ridley's epics over most of the crap Hollywood churns out, any day.

Shung
July 12, 2008, 04:47 PM
Some movies I would like to see is a movie about the US Cavalry and the Indian Wars

Yes. I'd love that too. A history of Little Big Horn, or even Fetterman massacre with historic accuracy and lots of money to make it.

Imagine, the parallel life a US cavalry men and the one of a Cheyenne warrior from their youth to their end, fighting their last battle one against the other.

The atmosphere of the great plains should be a thrill to see again !

Ragnar Danneskjold
July 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
There are more than enough WWII or Vietnam movies. What I would like to see is a factual recount of something from Iraq or Afghanistan, without all of the touchy feely cheese, political commentary, and with a high degree of technical accuracy. Basically a Blackhawk Down of Iraq. No frosting, overdone emotional content, or social/political nonsense. There are far too few modern war movies, and the few there are, are either leftist tripe, or too cheesy.

RLsnow
July 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
a movie about Roman warfare, i wan`t to see the tactics of the legions and how they were implemented against varius enemies, how commanders planned out their battles, etc.

Deanimator
July 12, 2008, 05:06 PM
Sort of a "What-If" the bombs hadn't been dropped on Japan.
There are several good novels about the invasion of Japan, including "Light as a Feather" and "The Burning Mountain". As I recall, "The Burning Mountain" begins with the gassing of Kyushu by the United States.

Three movies I'd like to see are:

A large budget movie about the Battle of Nomonhan in Mongolia between Japan and the Soviet Union in 1939. It was a huge and protracted battle in which the maps were so bad and the terrain so featureless that the Japanese never really knew where they were, even in the middle of attacks. The Japanese violated virtually every elementary principle of modern warfare, and were stomped into the ground by the Soviets like an angry Cape Buffalo. It was where Zhukov first made a name for himself. Every basic ROTC text should have what the Japanese did bullet-pointed, with the explanation "Do EXACTLY the OPPOSITE of this and you'll NEVER lose." I'd use a surreal approach like in "Apocalypse Now" to capture the sheer incompetence and irrationality of the Japanese approach to the battle, the first in history in which significant numbers of Japanese troops threw down their weapons and surrendered.

A movie about Black troops who served under French command in WWI. The US wouldn't deploy Black combat units, but sent Black troops to French units after Pershing couldn't take their badgering for replacements any more. Black units served with distinction under French command. An interesting postscript would be the 1919 Chicago race riot. Black doughboys armed themselves from the National Guard armories and defended their neighborhoods with armed force.

A movie about Black troops in Italy in WWII. They were horribly ill-led and often tasked to perform Japanese style suicidal attacks which accomplished little. Instead of whining about how Clint Eastwood didn't invent Black combat units on Iwo Jima, Spike Lee should make THIS movie... if he thinks he's up to it.

Deanimator
July 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
Two more:

I'm a Boxer Rebellion buff, so I'd like to see a REALISTIC movie about the defense of the Legations and the International Relief Expedition, which included US, British, French, [many] Japanese and many other troops.

The Battle of Adowa, where the Ethiopian Army crushed an Italian invasion before WWI. I think that either "Military History Quarterly" or "Strategy & Tactics" had an exellent article on the battle a few years ago.

David904
July 12, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'd like to see "Gates of Fire."

300 was great if you were willing to settle for a graphic novel cinematized. I enjoyed it. However I would like to see a real story of the defense of Thermopylae.

Nagant
July 12, 2008, 05:48 PM
I know someone has already mentioned the russian-Finnish war, but I would like to see a well-done movie made about Simo Hayha, the Finnish Sniper...

Tommygunn
July 12, 2008, 05:58 PM
Yes. I'd love that too. A history of Little Big Horn, or even Fetterman massacre with historic accuracy and lots of money to make it.

Imagine, the parallel life a US cavalry men and the one of a Cheyenne warrior from their youth to their end, fighting their last battle one against the other.

The atmosphere of the great plains should be a thrill to see again !

"Son of the Morning Star" made in 1991 starred Gary Cole as Brevet Major General G. A. Custer covered those event pretty well for a TV movie.
There was a 1912 film by Thomas Ince, rereleased in 1925 title "Custer's Last Fight" which was a pretty accurate recounting of the Little Bighorn.
It is interesting you remark about "the parallel life a US cavalry men and the one of a Cheyenne warrior from their youth to their end, fighting their last battle one against the other" since historian/author Stephen Ambrose wrote Crazy Horse and Custer, the Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors maybe twenty years ago. If you like history books I highly recomend it.

larry starling
July 12, 2008, 06:18 PM
I would like to see "Team Yankee"

makarovnik
July 12, 2008, 06:22 PM
More WWI, Korean War and how about something new like the Spanish American War or the Philippine insurrection?

308win
July 12, 2008, 06:31 PM
A series about the Pacific Theater using the Band of Brothers theme. I thought I read three or so years ago that Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg were doing to do such a project but nothing ever happened.

Remake of Dogs of War. A movie based on The Five Fingers. Team Yankee would be a good one as someone noted previously. I don't remember his name but there was an Army Artillery officer who used beehive rounds on his own position when it was overran; that would be a good one along the lines of We Were Soldiers Once.

Mil-Spec45
July 12, 2008, 06:40 PM
I really liked the book "With the Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge. I also always enjoy the "Medal of Honor" video games.

I'd like to see a movie based on either or both of these.

Cosmoline
July 12, 2008, 06:49 PM
I would like to see a well-done movie made about Simo Hayha, the Finnish Sniper...

I just don't want it done by Sillywood. They'd cast Ben Affleck as Hayha. [shudder] But it would be nice to see a foreign-produced film about him and the ski troopers along the forest front.

Nagant
July 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
Cosmoline, it's hilarious you say that... I nearly said the exact same thing in my post. I'm also afraid they'd add some kind of fake love-interest that would detract from the sniper-ish aspect of the story...

lazyeye
July 12, 2008, 06:56 PM
Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness remade in modern Afghanistan.

Speer
July 12, 2008, 07:15 PM
Something revolving around John Hunyadi's battle against the Turks. A WWI film with the realism and production of Saving Private Ryan is long overdo. And perhaps a film about Boadicea's war against the Romans.

Landlocked Pirate
July 12, 2008, 07:17 PM
For years I've wished a quality and FACTUAL movie would be made about the WWII commando raid on the Norsk Hydro plant in Norway to disrupt it's heavy water producing capabilities, when the US and Nazi Germany were racing to build the first atomic bomb. And nothing that Hollywood might do to try to "sex up" the story could possibly be as thrilling as the actual events as detailed in the book "Blood and Water".

selector67
July 12, 2008, 07:20 PM
I would like to see a movie about the WW1 battle of Belleau Wood, or the WW2 D Day assault by the 2nd and 5th Ranger batallions on the cliffs of Pointe du Hoc, or the defense of Bastone during the Battle of the Bulge by the 101st Airborne division, just to name a few.

steak-knife
July 12, 2008, 09:26 PM
Would like to see a movie about CMDR. Ernest Evans and the USS Johnston during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Sorta like David vs. Goliath, but with tin cans and japanese capital ships.

Golden Hound
July 12, 2008, 09:59 PM
They should make a movie about Rhodesia and the men who fought bravely to defend it against the Communists who would turn the nation from a prosperous and peaceful place into the nightmare that is now "Zimbabwe" under Mugabe. The Rhodesian Grey's Scouts were a horse-mounted cavalry unit - that alone, in the mid-1970s, is remarkable enough for a movie to be made of it. As someone said before - no chance of that ever happening though.

Vegaslaith
July 12, 2008, 10:11 PM
A movie about a second American revolution would be interesting.

Mike OTDP
July 12, 2008, 10:17 PM
I could see doing a movie about the cruise of CSS Alabama...or CSS Shenandoah. The former is a "Confederate Flying Dutchman" story, the latter a LONG effort to escape & evade.

Another would be the battle of Marathon.

And just about anything from the Age of Sail makes for a good yarn.

Army
July 12, 2008, 10:21 PM
Lord Nelson at Trafalgar. With up-to-date CG, and the current crop of newly built ships, the heroics and battle scenes would be awe inspiring.

Or maybe a movie about my Dad. 32 missions over Europe as a bombardier on a B17. Shot down twice. Escaped from France on the first shoot down, and barely made it over the cliffs of Dover on the 2nd. Entire crew came home in early '45.

Well, he's my hero :)

aomagrat
July 12, 2008, 11:12 PM
I would like to see a movie made about the Battle of Jutland.

KiltedClaymore
July 12, 2008, 11:17 PM
i wanna see a movie about the Lincoln County War. crazy kids and your fancy foreign wars....

and +1 on the CSS Shenandoah.
read a book about it sometime. the book is called "last flag down" and its rather good.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
July 12, 2008, 11:19 PM
The Rhodesian Bush War.

The Rhodies as the inwardly conflicted White Fathers fighting together with freedom-loving blacks, and Mugabe as a blood-thirsty tyrant to be.

And liberal use of the Rhodesian army slogan:

BE A MAN AMONG MEN: JOIN THE RHODESIAN ARMY

edit: goldenhound beat me to it...

Stevie-Ray
July 12, 2008, 11:24 PM
I'd love to see a movie about the air war in Desert Storm. Flight of the Intruder is one of my favorites, especially when the Spads are called in. Also the "broken arrow" scene from We Were Soldiers is one of the best. Desert Storm's air war would be the ultimate kick, everything from CAS's choppers and Warthogs, to the Strike Eagles and Nighthawks. And for God's sake, make the DVD in 7.1 surround, please.

Another would be Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, though it would be excessively long and thus bastardized into a mini-series.:mad:

Another would be the real story of the sinking of the Yamato. In Harm's Way was a great story, but it was just that, a story, and they missed, though it was a victory of sorts. In reality, the Yamato group suffered approximately 400 aircraft, 5 waves of attacking planes before she sank. In this day of CGI, it would probably be easier to depict than it was when Otto Preminger used models in Harm's Way.

woerm
July 12, 2008, 11:35 PM
motorcycle gang in SE asia's been done

IIRC it was Born loosers and a sequel.

woerm
July 12, 2008, 11:38 PM

IIRC it was Born loosers and a sequel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Born_Losers

made by the crew that made Billy Jack

r

woerm
July 12, 2008, 11:53 PM
snip
A movie about Black troops who served under French command in WWI. The US wouldn't deploy Black combat units, but sent Black troops to French units after Pershing couldn't take their badgering for replacements any more. Black units served with distinction under French command. An interesting postscript would be the 1919 Chicago race riot. Black doughboys armed themselves from the National Guard armories and defended their neighborhoods with armed force.

IIRC this crew
http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/wwi/infantry/369thInf/369thInfMain.htm

was the one that turned the German flank and reenforced one flank of the Second Battle of the Marne.

They issued the fleeing French their rifles and picked up their usual stuff

(12 ga riot guns) it was their usual stuff that ticked of the German High command. They then 'corsetted' the Fr units with their NCO's and held the other flank that helped the other movie I'd love to see made

the one one about the 'rock of the Marne (Third Infantry Division) whose commander said in effect 'run? why? we have the high ground.'

When the Germans got tired of getting shot gunned in the woods they tried to run the 3rd ID off it's little hill. Operative word here is 'tried'.

I'm not sure but that had to be one of the best .mil stands of WWI for the US Army. the Guard on one flank kicking tail w/ riot guns and the Regulars on the other flank in full wack and stack mode. (full wack and stack being they had all their artillery along for the ride.

r

4v50 Gary
July 13, 2008, 12:05 AM
Anabasis by Xenophon. If 300 pissed off the Iranians, Anabasis will really raise their blood pressure. It's the story of a Greek mercenary army that fought for a Persian prince who was fighting his brother for control of the Empire. While the Greeks defeated those whom they fought, their patron prince was killed in battle. The Greek generals were lured to a talk and were treacherously slain. The Persians believed the 10,000 were now leaderless and would capitulate. Instead, they elected new generals and then fought they way out of the Persian Empire, smashing through every obstacle the Persians placed in their path. When they reached the Black Sea, they were severely reduced in numbers (6,000). However, they were able to contact their city-states and get transportation (via ship) home. Their march led Alexander to believe that with a larger army he could conquer the Persian Empire and punish it for Darius's and later, Xerxes's invasion of the Greek motherland.

Treo
July 13, 2008, 12:15 AM
's the story of a Greek mercenary army that fought for a Persian prince who was fighting his brother for control of the Empire.

It's been done , they called it " The Warriors"

I wouldn't mind seeing Harold Coyle's "Team Yankee" made into a movie.

PeteRR
July 13, 2008, 12:25 AM
Fiction:

Red Storm Rising

Non-fiction:

German East Africa in WWI. Von Lettow-Vorbeck led the first integrated army in african history. He invaded 5 countries and only found out about the Armistice by capturing a British dispatch rider days after the war ended.

Grey_Mana
July 13, 2008, 12:40 AM
+1 for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Warren
July 13, 2008, 12:47 AM
The Siege of Fort St. Elmo, Malta. June 1565. Tactically a loss, strategically a HUGE win.

I second the notion of a movie depicting the fight of the Tin Can Sailors vs. the Imp Japanese Navy.

A good movie to make would be on Col. Mike Hoare's campaign in the Congo.

Sunray
July 13, 2008, 01:10 AM
"...a movie about the US Cavalry and the Indian Wars..." There have been lots of 'em. Not necessarily historically accurate, but John Ford made many of 'em using John Wayne. 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon' is one of a trilogy, as I recall. Didn't portray the Natives as 'murdering savages' either. 'Fort Apache', the first and 'Rio Grande', the 3rd were the other two. Great movies.
"...about the Lincoln County War..." 'Young Guns'.
"...the WWII commando raid on the Norsk Hydro plant in Norway..." 'Heroes of Telemark'. Sort of. If they didn't feel the need for the love story.
"...the Finnish Sniper..." Won't happen in the U.S. He wasn't an American.
I'd like to see a re-make of 'Zulu' and 'Zulu Dawn', but I don't know why. I seriously doubt either would be PC now.
There needs to be several movies about the Canadian participation in both 20th Century World Wars too. Stories about the PPCLI in W.W. I, W. W. II and Korea. The held the line against overwhelming odds in each war.

RNB65
July 13, 2008, 01:25 AM
Robert's Ridge

BigEric
July 13, 2008, 01:58 AM
We die alone
http://www.amazon.com/We-Die-Alone-Escape-Endurance/dp/1558219730

Norwegian resistance during WWII...

Nate C.
July 13, 2008, 05:32 AM
I would like to see a collaboration between Michael Mann and John Milius. They seem to be the only Hollywood types with any concern regarding technical accuracy.

I echo the previous posts in support of any films about alternative history, but how about:

A realistic depiction of the American "Indian Wars" of the nineteenth century? (Sure to be decidedly unsettling, but it needs to be addressed);

A remake of any of the "Zulu" movies;

A film about Guadalcanal;

A film accurately depicting the horrors of WW1;

+1 on the previous post about The Five Fingers. Man that was a good read!

A 'what-if' film describing the potential escalation following a total SHTF melt-down in the Middle East.

Red Dawn II, starring Communist China.

leadcounsel
July 13, 2008, 08:40 AM
Pearl Harbor is a movie with a lot of potential ruined by the cast and love story.

Any movie worth doing is worth doing right. Keep the love story out or to a minimum.

I'd like to see a historically accurate WWI or Korean War movie akin to Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers realism. I think that would be fantastic.

I would also like to see a "what if" movie exploring if we had done nothing after 9/11 like many of the liberals had wanted. What if we just sat on our butts and waited until Saddam had built nukes and sold them to terrorists. Terrorists have no problem killing, so what if they smuggled a nuke into NYC and detonated it. Bush would have been impeached for not doing anything after 9/11 and the nation would be in a state of shambles as the Middle East laughs at our weakness. Well, I guess we may not have to wait for the movie because Iran is building nukes and will likely threaten attacks on the United States if we do nothing about it.

Shung
July 13, 2008, 08:40 AM
"Son of the Morning Star" made in 1991 starred Gary Coleman as Brevet Major General G. A. Custer covered those event pretty well for a TV movie.

I have seen this movie many times (Rosanna Arquette is playing Custer wife, right ? ), and it is quite accurate. However, it lack, according to me, the atmosphere of the plains that I could find in Dances With Wolves (which also has is bad parts.. like good indians, evil whites..).. And I think, mostly because it was done with less money. I would like it remake, with lots of more money and possibilities.

There was a 1912 film by Thomas Ince, rereleased in 1925 title "Custer's Last Fight" which was a pretty accurate recounting of the Little Bighorn.

This one I didnt see, but I am affraid that being that old, it's wouldnt be very realistic.. I mean, the battle scene, wounds etc.. too clean for me, I guess.

In little Big Men, the battle of Little Big Horn, is well rendered, and I even think it was filmed there.. the only bad part is that army mens and Custers are fools in this movie.. which wasnt the case..
Little Big Men is a nice movie, but is a hippie movie.. where all indians are good people camping out there and hurting nobody, and white men are evil as the devil himself..

It is interesting you remark about "the parallel life a US cavalry men and the one of a Cheyenne warrior from their youth to their end, fighting their last battle one against the other" since historian/author Stephen Ambrose wrote Crazy Horse and Custer, the Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors maybe twenty years ago. If you like history books I highly recomend it.

I'll try to find it on the internet, hoping that my poor english knowledge will allow me to get through it !

Thx for the tips !

Deanimator
July 13, 2008, 09:07 AM
I second the notion of a movie depicting the fight of the Tin Can Sailors vs. the Imp Japanese Navy.
+10,000!

I recently finished reading the book "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" and it was simply riveting. I read a lot of it while I was in the hospital in January and I sat up and read it, despite being in considerable pain, it was so good.

Another great sea/air movie would be one about the Battle of the Bismarck Sea where a Japanese invasion convoy was absolutely SLAUGHTERED at sea, and completely by air. There were so many US and Australian aircraft attacking the convoy, they had to be organized in layers. The ONLY Japanese troops who made land either swam there or were picked up by one of the surviving destroyers, most of which were also bombed and shot to pieces.

John George's "Shots Fired in Anger" (frequently sold at discount by the NRA) is an excellent account of his service in the National Guard in New Guinea and later with Merrill's Marauders. The scene where a Japanese-American interpreter goes out alone at night to screw with the Japanese would make classic cinema. At one point, he hides in the bushes listening to Japanese officers and NCOs trying to organize a bunch of poorly trained privates into order for a banzai charge. Just as they get the troops straightened out, the GI screams "Susume!" (charge), sending the Japanese enlisted men tearing off into the pitch darkness, their NCOs in hot pursuit! After they round up the gaggle of privates, he does it AGAIN!

Eric F
July 13, 2008, 09:13 AM
I would like to see a mivie accurately depicted about the war of 1812.

I would then like to see the same about the missisippi Iron clads.

Tommygunn
July 13, 2008, 01:57 PM
Quote:

This one I didnt see, but I am affraid that being that old, it's wouldnt be very realistic.. I mean, the battle scene, wounds etc.. too clean for me, I guess.

The Ince film is said to be one of the more accurate films with regards to tactics as was ever made about the Little Bighorn fight. It's true that it isn't "bloody" in the sense of "Saving Private Ryan", but sensibilities were quite different back then.
The only film I know of that was actually shot on location was a 1908 film which, unfortunatly, has been lost and no one knows if it's still around.
"Little BigMan" was a clever farcical look at Custer's career ... made IIRC as a sort of parallel to the Viet Nam War, which was being fought at the time. I thought it was OK for what it was, but as you say it portrayed the military as fools, and I don't take it seriously. It also had one of the worst rendition of "Garry Owen" I've heard. Custer's band was a 16 piece (IIRC) brass band, not a fife & drum corps ... and if the band had played that poorly, Custer would have attacked it, not the indians.:neener::D

"Dancing With Wolves"was good and had atmosphere. It was a little "polictically correct" for my tastes overall, but still a good film portrayal of those times.

AmishFury
July 13, 2008, 03:04 PM
more ww1 and not just western front... i'd like to see some WW1 russian front

i'd like to see some winter war or continuation war films get a stateside release that doesn't go unnoticed... have the film made in finland but have a major studio here release it in theaters and later dvd/bluray

i'm tired of great films being handled by some random generic distributor who releases a painfully barebones dvd with video quality so poor it makes youtube videos look like high def

Gladius
July 13, 2008, 03:52 PM
"a film about Boadicea's war against the Romans."
I'd like to see this too. But a good version; there are like two or three crappy versions of this story out there, from the old Hammer films Viking Queen (Viking? Has nothing to do with Vikings!) to the latest version Warrior Queen with Alex Kingston, and I think there are a couple others. There are a couple good documentaries about Boudicca that are far better than the fictionalized versions!

And some other Roman-era military movies would be nice, too. I'd like to see a movie on the Teutoberg massacre.

I would also like to see more Winter War/Continuation War films as well...

"a movie about the Lincoln County War". Well, as mentioned, there's Young Guns. The John Wayne classic Chisum as well. But I'd like to see an accurate version of the "war" and Billy the Kid's life. So much legend and hype have developed around this character, I'd like to see something a little different....

Cosmoline
July 13, 2008, 04:00 PM
Korean War movie akin to Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers

Have you seen Taegukgi? It's quite good though pretty much just from the Korean point of view.

The Tourist
July 13, 2008, 04:10 PM

I'm not talking about musical comedies or other flights of fantasy written, produced and directed by citizens who can't tell a motorcycle from a motorized vegetable peeler.

I'm referring to actual bikers who wrote a letter to a sitting President to go to a real war.

BTW, Sonny Barger had already been in the Armed Forces and served his country. He offered to enlist for service he was not required to fulfil.

This is the real reason I suggested something that would be more of a documentary. I don't think one person in a hundred can relate to the lifestyle nor discern our thinking.

One mod in another forum told everyone that it is "impossible" for me to be a real biker because I could write well, had a college education and claimed to hold a white-collar job.

This is the common belief. In fact, it is your belief. You actually think "Born Losers" is a parallel to my life.

bobbarker
July 13, 2008, 04:36 PM
I would LOVE To see a good movie about The Haditha "Massacre" in Iraq. That's my Unit 3/1 Kilo CO, and if they made a movie actually talking to the Marines who were there, instead of reading News Reports, I think it would do a LOT to make the general public understand the split second decisions you have to make, rather than attacking Marines, Soldiers, etc. for protecting their lives and the lives of their comrades, at the cost of a few civilian lives. If the movie was well made, that is.

hamourkiller
July 13, 2008, 04:40 PM
A movie about two WWII destroyer actions,
The shallow water runs made by the D-Day destroyers off Omaha Beach and the Charge of the Little Boys against the Jab Battlewagons in the Leyte Gulf Battle.

rodregier
July 13, 2008, 05:00 PM
Secrets Of Inchon: The Untold Story Of The Most Daring Covert Mission Of The Korean War

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Inchon-Untold-Daring-Mission/dp/0756773202/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215979067&sr=8-5

If Korea is America's forgotten war, Eugene Franklin Clark is certainly one of that war's least-known heroes. The Secrets of Inchon is his first-person account--written in 1953 and long forgotten in a safety deposit box--of his terrifying fortnight on a small island in North Korean-occupied Inchon harbor. Douglas MacArthur's planned invasion was as fraught with peril as it was daring. The port, with 29-foot tides, was, at their ebb, protected by a mud-flat moat 6,000 yards wide in places. Without elaborate, accurate, first-hand information--which Clark was ordered to supply--about mines, fortifications, sea floor gradients, troop distribution, and other matters large and small, the operation (Clark likens it to a "fly deliberately planning to invade a spider's web") could easily have become "an American Dunkerque." Clark's reconnaissance included hand-to-hand gunfights, rugged interrogations, night forays in small junks, constant vigilance, exhaustingly long hours, and the cooperation of anti-Communist Koreans.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
July 13, 2008, 05:32 PM
A film accurately depicting the horrors of WW1;

Paths of Glory (Kirk Douglas) is for you.

Sebastian the Ibis
July 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
1. A biography of Alvin York.

2. Biographies of all of the German Ace's during the second world war: Adolph Galand, Gunther Rall, Otto Skorzeny, Jochen Piper etc.

3. The story of the German Far East Fleet in the Falklands during the first world war.

4. +1 Von Lettow-Vorbeck

5. +1 Rhodesia

6. Ghengis Khan

7. Shooting down Admiral Yamamoto

8. The story of the Ludlow massacre- And make Antis watch it so that they understand why we have a second amendment.

Nolo
July 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
A good ancient Celt movie.
One about Vercingetorix would be awesome.
I'd like to see movies made along the Timeline 191 storyline (with none of that time traveling AK crap, possibly starting with How Few Remain), as well as a movie with a slightly different plot but based around the same concept as The Disunited States of America (Ohio and Virginia on the brink of nuclear war! :what:).
There are so many conflicts that have been overlooked by the movie industry.
I'd really go for a lot of alternate history and straight-up fiction. Good, realistic fiction and sci-fi. Stuff that looks like it could have actually happened, but didn't.
By the way, a Ghengis Khan movie is coming out soon.

Aren't we all
July 13, 2008, 06:16 PM
i would want a Korean war movie and an alternate history of what if the Germans killed hitler with that suitcase bomb and stopped the genocide and was just imperialistic.

Marsh

loneviking
July 13, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'd like to see the book 'Sing a song to Jenny Next' put into movie form. The book is allegedly the true story of a top secret mission of a squad of Marines in China in the 50's. They were there to destroy a secret nuclear reactor, and wound up destroying a second reactor that no one knew existed. There is lots of info on what the CIA was doing in China during the 50's along with accounts of American POW's in Beijing. It's a great read and would make a fantastic movie.

barman
July 13, 2008, 07:35 PM
-An epic movie about the battle of Verdun.

-Films about the Franco-Prussian war of 1870, the starter of both WW1 and WW2.

Zedicus
July 13, 2008, 08:29 PM
One I would like to see a movie made about .

WWII ish

USMC General Smedley Butler - The Business Plot

Read about it here.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/Coup.htm

TO Many have no idea that this happened.

Yankee
July 13, 2008, 09:10 PM
A series about the Pacific Theater using the Band of Brothers theme. I thought I read three or so years ago that Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg were doing to do such a project but nothing ever happened.

Is being done as we speak. Filming started in Australia last August and it is in post-production now. Should be out by the end of the year if we're lucky.

roger505
July 14, 2008, 01:57 AM
A good accurate one on irregular forces in WWll. Guerrillas of Mindanao, Popskies Private Army, the Cassock groups who fought both the Germans and the Russians, Greek irregulars. And stick to the truth!

Cosmoline
July 14, 2008, 03:51 AM
A biography of Alvin York.

You mean other than the one Gary Cooper did?

Waitone
July 14, 2008, 08:29 AM
1>a movie about the exploits of SOG units during the Vietnam war A la John Plaster's book.

2>A movie about the exploits of the CIA's actions in Afghanistan after 911 but before the arrival of Special Forces.

3>A movie about the takedown of the Taliban by Special Forces and the Air Force.

4>Buffalo soldiers.

Wang
July 14, 2008, 08:59 AM
I would like to see a Movie made about Marine Sniper Carlos Hathcock. He had 93 confirmed Kills. One Shot One Kill. He was one hell of an American.

Deanimator
July 14, 2008, 09:54 AM
4>Buffalo soldiers.
I think there was one mady by Turner, starring Danny Glover. I saw parts of it here and there. What I saw of it at least wasn't offensive. Can't say much more than that.

A factual movie about the 10th Cavalry in Texas would be interesting.

Harve Curry
July 14, 2008, 10:03 AM
+ 1 for Marine Corp Gen. Smedley Butler's life story. 30+ years in the Marines, all over the globe fighting, 3 Medals of Honor and he concluded that war was a racket.

+1 for the 9th Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers in New Mexico during the Apache Wars. Several of them are buried close to where they fell in graves lost to time.

qdemn7
July 14, 2008, 10:43 AM
An accurate biography of Chesty Puller.

Husker1911
July 14, 2008, 11:17 AM
USS Johnston DD-557
Would like to see a movie about CMDR. Ernest Evans and the USS Johnston during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Sorta like David vs. Goliath, but with tin cans and Japanese capital ships.
Agreed entirely! From Wiki:

"In the battle, the very powerful force of Japanese battleships, cruisers, and destroyers commanded by Admiral Kurita engaged a U.S. task group of three escort aircraft carrier units. The Americans were taken entirely by surprise because the U.S. Seventh Fleet, of which it was a part, had firmly believed that its northern flank was being protected by Admiral Halsey's immensely powerful Third Fleet. However, Halsey and the Third Fleet had been lured away from their covering mission by a Japanese decoy force commanded by Admiral Ozawa.

The brunt of the Japanese attack fell on the northernmost of the escort carrier units, Rear Admiral Clifton Sprague's Task Unit 77.4.3 (usually referred to by its radio call-sign "Taffy 3"). Ill-equipped to fight a battle with large-gunned warships, Taffy 3's escort carriers attempted to escape from the Japanese force, while its destroyers, destroyer escorts, and aircraft made sustained attacks on Kurita's ships. The ordnance for the escort carriers' aircraft consisted mostly of small high-explosive bombs used in ground support missions, and depth charges used in anti-submarine work, rather than the armor-piercing bombs and torpedoes which would been more effective against heavily armored warships. Nevertheless, even when they were out of ammunition, the American aircraft continued to harass the enemy ships, making repeated mock attacks, which distracted them and disrupted their formations.

In all, two U.S. destroyers, a destroyer escort, and an escort carrier were sunk by Japanese gunfire, and another U.S. escort carrier was hit and sunk by a Kamikaze aircraft during the battle. Kurita's battleships were driven away from the engagement by torpedo attacks by American destroyers; they were unable to regroup in the chaos, while three cruisers were lost due to air attack and several other cruisers were damaged. Due to the ferocity of the defense, Kurita was convinced that he was facing a far superior force and withdrew from the battle, ending the threat to the troop transports and supply ships.

The battle was one of the last major naval engagements between U.S. and Japanese surface forces in World War II. After this, the Imperial Japanese Navy never again sailed to battle in such force, but returned to its bases to remain largely inactive for the rest of the war.

This battle is often depicted as one of the major "what-ifs" in World War II. If Kurita had continued the attack instead of withdrawing, it is thought possible that the U.S. could have suffered heavy losses in troops and supplies, which would have delayed their capture of the Philippines. It is also likely that had Kurita's and Halsey's forces met, that would have set the stage for the long awaited "decisive battle" where both sides would have finally been able to pit their largest battleships against each other."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taffy_3

I urge you to take the time to read the article. It's truly riveting, and the bravery of the Tin Can Sailors is astounding.

I became aware of this battle from History Channel's "Dogfights."

To portray the Johnston's CO, Lieutenant Commander Ernest E. Evans, I'd suggest Tommy Lee Jones.

USMC - Retired
July 14, 2008, 11:28 AM
The life story of Carlos Hathcock II if done accurately and respectfully.

Afy
July 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
A non animated version of When the Wind Bows...

If you havent seen it... well worth it. It will really accelerate your disaster preperations.

woerm
July 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm aware of Sonny Barger's letter,

It was one of several from, shall we say 'unconventional' sources volunteering their services.

Bikers have excellent, for lack of a better word 'unit cohesion'. See the video of a knife and gun fight at a casino some years back. It takes major mojo/insane to take a knife to a gun fight.

I heard some years ago Barger's was one of several offers, none that I know of were accepted.

It would have been a unique operation to say the least.

Now days the bikers I see are generally ex .mil or Dr/Lawyer types.

It doesn't help that the bikes seem to run more than I paid for my first house.

But they are really nice rides.

r

back to the movies,

I actually thought Born Loosers was pretty good for an antiwar flick.(as in how not to run a war)

jad0110
July 14, 2008, 01:30 PM
USS Johnston DD-557
Would like to see a movie about CMDR. Ernest Evans and the USS Johnston during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Sorta like David vs. Goliath, but with tin cans and Japanese capital ships.

Yet another vote for a move about the Battle off Samar. I would just hope it wouldn't turn into a hollow "CGI Spectacular", and instead focus on the bravery and courage of the men who fought in that desperate engagement.

For fiction, I always thought Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising would be pretty good. I am looking forward to seeing Without Remorse, which is suppposed to be released sometime in '08.

Gladius
July 14, 2008, 01:45 PM
"A good ancient Celt movie.
One about Vercingetorix would be awesome."

Yes, again I agree -- a good movie about Vercingetorix and the siege of Alesia would be great... not like that hideous Christopher Lambert film Druids from a couple years back....

"a Ghengis Khan movie is coming out soon."
Actually, there's one out now, called Mongol: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416044/

Apparently, it's pretty good.... almost certainly better than The Conqueror, but that's not saying much.... :uhoh:

The Tourist
July 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm aware of Sonny Barger's letter

And I'm glad we had an additional chance to exchange ideas. I do think I've been here long enough for people to know where I stand on issues, coupled with my bizarre sense of humor.

Sonny is a brilliant man. He would have succeeded in anything. And I believe a movie would have helped people with the stereotype.

Let me proffer this. I am a member of several forums, although that's changing along with my age. I like it here and in forums related to my job.

In that regard, I correspond with many co-members, privately and on the telephone.

In many cases, when that person simply believes me to be a retired credit manager (very true), I get a certain tone in their responses.

I am also open on being bipolar and a club member. After all these decades, I still get the old townie insult, "You guys think you're so tough..."

As a credit manager I get a polite debate. As a biker I get derision. Same guy.

Now, imagine life for Sonny Barger. No matter what other things he has done (which include inventing the high-mileage little car called "The Sparrow") he will always be known as the president of one of the toughest clubs in history. That's not fair.

He's also ex-military, an inventor and an author. But you will hear the epithets long before you hear the rest of the truth.

In many ways I became an aggressive, tenacious credit manager, saving several companies and re-couping tens of millions of dollars for clients, because as a boy I read about the exploits of Sonny Barger. I learned that if a 5' 7" brawler could galvanize an important life it was foolish for me to hide under my bed.

I think it's a good plot for a movie, if they could tell it honestly.

buck00
July 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
There are more than enough WWII or Vietnam movies. What I would like to see is a factual recount of something from Iraq or Afghanistan, without all of the touchy feely cheese, political commentary, and with a high degree of technical accuracy.

On a side note, apparently "Generation Kill" is supposed to be pretty good (about Iraq). It is going to be a 7 part HBO mini-series. The only reason I am giving it credit is apparently they relied heavily on a USMC combat veteran advisor, who repeatedly had to over-turn and correct stuff the writers made up, to make it more accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Kill_%28TV_series%29

Other than that:

1. I agree, way too many WWII movies. There are especially too many cheesy WWII movies from the 50's and 60's, bad acting, Peter Pan plots, and unrealistic combat. Veterans laughed at the "The Longest Day" because guys were running around the beach like it was Bull Run- when in reality if you weren't crawling you were mowed down. However, directors were also heavily censored back then.

2. Rhodesian Bush War would be interesting, but I would imagine the filming and "theme" portrayed would get political. :scrutiny:

3. On that note, a movie about the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale (Dec 1987, largest battle in post-WWII African history) would be interesting- but again, how would Hollywood portray the theme? Both sides claim they won. On one end, you have South Africa kicking some Cuban commie a--, on the other end, the propaganda version is the "racist whites" got beat by Castro and this helped destroy Apartheid, etc etc. So in reality, it might be a tough movie to make. :uhoh:

4. This is a very little known battle that would make a good HBO movie- the Mayagüez incident from May 1975. It is actually a pretty sad story- the USMC invaded a Khmer Rogue held island to free captured U.S. sailors (who already had been released prior to the attack on the island). The Marines got chewed up landing on the island (it was heavily defended and the USMC was outnumbered) and tragically, some Marines were left behind only to face capture and summary execution. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayag%C3%BCez_incident

JohnL2
July 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah, the fact that "Pork Chop Hill" and "MASH" are pretty much the only movies of the Korean War is a source of consternation for me.
I don't think people realize just how desperate the fighting was over there. As anywhere I suppose.

Cosmoline
July 14, 2008, 03:13 PM
JohnL2, get Taegukgi if you want a modern treatment of the Korean War as a brutal civil war. Here's a clip of the first engagement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxdMAt7uAlc&feature=related

Here's the scene where the South Korean forces are back on their heels and starving, before the US landings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5_VahwJrJ0

One about Vercingetorix would be awesome."

I was really disappointed in HBO's Rome for skipping over the great battle. But I guess they were on a budget and wanted to concentrate on the politics.

RancidSumo
July 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
Pressfield's new book, Killing Rommel. Actually, any of Steven Pressfield's books.

Pevey
July 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
I like the idea of the Winter War of the Finns against the soviets but I would like to see the air war portrayed. Take the Finnish pilot, Ilmari Juutilainen, ( try and pronounce that twice), he had 94 confirmed kills and lived to a ripe old age after the war. More impressive is the fact that he never lost a wingman and he was never hit by an enemy bullet. (He was forced down once by friendly fire). The Finns flew cast off airplanes that no one else wanted, like the Brewster Buffalo. Obsolete when it was designed, the Finns got their hands on 50 or so and ripped up the Soviet planes that had been battle tested in the Spanish Civil War. Later in the Continuation War, when the Russians had more advanced warplanes coming into production, the Finns persuaded German to sell them some Me-109G's. Again, a plane outclassed and past it's prime, developed a fantastic kill rate when used by the Finns. Other Finnish pilots were almost as successful with scores in the two brief wars that would embarrass Allied pilots.

As for remakes, I normally detest what Hollywood does with them, for example: Pearl Harbor. If done right, I would love to see No Man is an Island, The Battle of Britain, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Away all Boats, The Enemy Below, The Hunters and some things that have never been filmed like The Mexican-American War.

Not very firearm related but I had fun.

CountGlockula
July 14, 2008, 03:50 PM
Authenticity.

JohnL2
July 14, 2008, 04:17 PM
JohnL2, get Taegukgi if you want a modern treatment of the Korean War as a brutal civil war

Good grief Cosmoline. I thought I had my fill of war gore, but I am going to have to check it out.
I guess I have to keep my ear on the rail for foreign cinema. They have come a long way.

ebd10
July 14, 2008, 04:21 PM
I'd like to see a movie about Billy Dixon at Adobe Walls, a decent portrayal of the Korean War, preferably a remake of Porkchop Hill (My father was there), and something about the RAF Eagle Squadrons.

Cosmoline
July 14, 2008, 04:22 PM
In my experience the recent foreign films are far BETTER than the war movies Sillywood cranks out. They're not burdened with idiot superstars or that airhead Michael Bay. Plus foreign productions aren't burdened by the huge insurance costs and union/guild troubles. They can set off squibs next to the star's face without causing an underwriter to have a heart attack. That Korean flick cost a few million to make and grossed something like fifty times that worldwide, so there's a real potential for the genre. Foreign productions can also still put together a real cast of thousands instead of relying on junk CGI. The last US made war movie to ACTUALLY field an army was probably the great "Rough Riders" by our man Milius back in the mid 90's. In the commentary he mentioned the production would be completely impossible today due to the shift to digital, and of course we know what digital armies look like--junk.

KiltedClaymore
July 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
maybe a movie about the Troubles in Ireland. from the point of the opressed irish, not the brits. or maybe the easter revolution.

Deanimator
July 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
maybe a movie about the Troubles in Ireland
"Michael Collins" with Liam Neeson. The best part is when the IRA decides to "take the gloves off" when dealing with the "Black & Tans". At the time, I said that somebody ought to send a copy to the BATF.

KiltedClaymore
July 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
the irish dont play around when it comes to fighting

Shung
July 14, 2008, 06:40 PM
maybe a movie about the Troubles in Ireland

watch this !

The Wind That Shakes the Barley

steak-knife
July 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
Okay just for sh*ts and giggles, perhaps a movie about former presidential candidate John Kerry's exploits as a CMDR. of a Patrol Boat/River during Vietnam. We could have a ball figuring out how accurate the movie would be.:)

Tommygunn
July 14, 2008, 06:58 PM
Okay just for sh*ts and giggles, perhaps a movie about former presidential candidate John Kerry's exploits as a CMDR. of a Patrol Boat/River during Vietnam. We could have a ball figuring out how accurate the movie would be.

Been done.

F TROOP:p

KiltedClaymore
July 14, 2008, 07:05 PM
"...about the Lincoln County War..." 'Young Guns'.

just watched it, thanks for telling me about it! favorite quote: "DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT CHICKEN?!"

usp9
July 14, 2008, 07:10 PM
+1

WWII Pacific theater book With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. A very powerful story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_the_Old_Breed

usp9
July 14, 2008, 07:17 PM
I like to see The Day After by H.R. Clinton. A recounting of the action seen in the White House the day after the Lewinski Affair was reveiled. I hear it was a long bloody day.:cuss::fire:

JWF III
July 14, 2008, 07:20 PM
I can't agree more with Im283. Guns of the South was an amazing book, as are many other books by Turtledove. Great reading for anybody remotely interested in the War of Northern Aggression.

Also maybe the story of the CSS Hunley. The first successful use of a submarine in combat.

justin 561
July 14, 2008, 07:38 PM
A few (modern) movies about Korea would be nice. There was a lot of bravery and heroics in the war.

Cosmoline
July 14, 2008, 08:29 PM
justin 561, see post 99

Warren
July 14, 2008, 08:36 PM
Guns of the South was 90% okay. It finished stupidly though.

Overall, Turtledoves' stuff just does not grab me.

Golden Hound
July 15, 2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, the fact that "Pork Chop Hill" and "MASH" are pretty much the only movies of the Korean War is a source of consternation for me.

My Grandpa is a Korea vet and in his house he has a little corner of the room with all of his mementos and photos and stuff from the war, and on the wall, a giant newspaper headline that says "THE FORGOTTEN WAR." He says nobody ever thinks about it anymore...the public has forgotten all about it, apparently.

Tourist: I agree about Sonny Barger. I've read his book, he is quite a character. The Hells Angels get a bad rap because of the Altamont concert with the Rolling Stones. In every single historical account I've ever read about this, they make it seem like the Angels just randomly stabbed some poor, innocent guy to death, ruined the whole concert, and symbolized the "end of the 60s" and the replacement of peace and love with violence and brutality.

The truth is this: Meredith Hunter had pulled out a loaded gun and was pointing it at the stage. If the Hells Angels had not stopped him, he probably would have shot someone to death. There were methamphetamines in Hunter's system at the time of death. He was an uncontrollable psycho who posed a grave danger to all of the concert goers and the Rolling Stones themselves. The Hells Angels saved peoples' lives by taking him out. But that's not what history remembers, unfortunately.

Stevie-Ray
July 15, 2008, 01:59 AM
maybe a movie about the Troubles in Ireland I just watched The Boxer a couple days ago. Actually, it was pretty good.

Yeah, the fact that "Pork Chop Hill" and "MASH" are pretty much the only movies of the Korean War is a source of consternation for me.Don't forget The Bridges at Toko-Ri

dodging230grainers
July 15, 2008, 03:16 AM
Either the 1967 Israeli-Arab six-day war or the 1973 Israeli-Arab Yom Kippur War would be cool.

DRZinn
July 16, 2008, 03:40 PM
I seem to remember a dust-up in the south (Arkansas?) between some vets and their corrupt town's administration. I think it was also a Swagger book.

Colt46
July 16, 2008, 06:22 PM
Nothing to do with Bruce Willis and Terrorists.

The true story of the british 57th middlesex regiment during the battle of Albuera in 1811(Penninsular War). A well executed french cavalry charge had just broken many parts of the allied line(british, spanish-portuguese) and resulted in chaos. Col. Inglis of the 57th drew his regiment up into square and repulsed the french horse. Thre french brought up artillery and blasted them from the flank with short range cannister while french infantry battalions assaulted them from the front. As huge gaps were torn in their ranks Inglis exhorted his men by yelling "Die Hard, 57th. Die Hard!" He took a four pound chunk of metal through his shoulder and neck and propped himself up on the saddle of his horse to direct his men for the remainder of the action.
At the end of the day, the 57th's stand allowed allied reserves to be brought up and drive the french from the field. Inglis survived what was thought to be a mortal wound and three quarters of his men lay in heaps around his standard bearer. The allied commander commented that they lay like a stack of cards.
The term 'Die Hard' refers to the men who fought and bled that day. Somehow Bruce Willis doesn't quite stack up.

FenderTK421
June 19, 2010, 05:54 AM
Wow, my wishlist; hopefully w/ as much historical accuracy as possible:
-The Battle of Teutoburg Forest AD9
-Where Troy Once Stood, taking Iman Wilkens stance that Troy was a battle of bronze age continental proto-celts fighting for control of resources in modern day Britain
-Brian Boru, his attempt to unite Ireland and expel the Norseman
-William the Conqueror and the events of 1066
-Charles the Hammer, depicting the life of a great man (Charlemagnes Granddaddy to boot) who stopped the muslims from overrunning all of Europe at the battle of Poiters in 732AD using pioneering tacticool gear like the stirrup and the heavy cavalry charge
-Vae Victus- Detailing Brennus' famous sack of Rome in 387 BC
Burnt Njal- Icelandic saga of domestic/tribal/familial warfare in Iceland around 1000-1200 AD
-Anything with more accuracy than Pathfinder regarding the Viking settlements in the US around 1000AD
-The Winter War, skiing up and gunning down. Why hasn't anyone done this?
The Last Knight, a Michener type biography of Rommel. Something more personal than The Desert Fox
-A biography of Charles Hathcock in Vietnam
-A dog movie about the canines that served in WWI, WW2 or Vietnam. Satan of Verdun comes to mind.
-Something about the Celtic folk heroes like Cu Chulain and Finn MaCool, plenty of warfare there to be exploited for popcorn munching action aficionados and history geeks alike.

fiddleharp
June 19, 2010, 09:22 AM
I'd like to see a movie made about the attack on the USS Liberty. This was the greatest unpunished war crime and coverup in modern history.
My barber is a survivor of that terrible day when 34 of his crewmates were killed and many more wounded by our so-called "friends".
He told me that the Liberty was buzzed for hours before the attack by Israeli aircraft of all types and there was no way that the later attack was a mistake.
More info here: http://www.natvan.com/free-speech/fs977a.html

killchain
June 19, 2010, 09:53 AM
A war movie depicting the battles of Riva Ridge and Mt. Belvedere during WW2.

I would love to see 1/87, 10th Mountain climb that cliff and surprise den NAT-ZEES.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
I'd like to see a movie made about the attack on the USS Liberty. This was the greatest unpunished war crime and coverup in modern history.
The site which was linked (which I won't repeat) is the neo-Nazi site of the sniveling cowards of the National Alliance. That should be all you need to know to draw the appropriate conclusions.

To call the attack on the U.S.S. Liberty (which I believe was intentional) "the greatest unpunished war crime and coverup in modern history", is just one more in an endless series of object lessons in just how mind numbingly stupid neo-Nazis are. 34 Americans were killed in that attack. That means in order for the number killed to equal the victims of the Nazis at the massacre at Oradour sur Glaine, the Israelis would have had to have attacked a ship like the Liberty every day for 19 days. Of course since virtually all of the victims at Oradour sur Glaine were civilians (including 205 children), the Israelis would have had to have attacked nothing but cruise liners.

Of course to equal the number of civilians murdered by the Nazis at Babi Yar, the Israelis would have to bomb a passenger liner a day for 993 days.

No doubt, most people here have never heard of Oradour sur Glaine... obviously a "coverup"...

wvshooter
June 19, 2010, 11:41 AM
More than a movie, maybe a TV series centering on RE Lee from the time he assumed command of the Army of Virginia. The most interesting aspect in my view would be the interaction between Lee and the politicians and Lee and his Generals.

Fighting scenes would be kept to a minimum with emphasis placed on the impossible and insurmountable challenges confronting Lee. He has to be one of the most tragic figures in history. Unable to forsake Virginia, Christlike in character, and swimming in a corrupt and self destructive social order.

ejbrush
June 19, 2010, 12:14 PM
The U.S. doughboys that went into Russia to prop up the White Russians against the Bolshiviks. About 5000 went in to assist the British and the French reopen the eastern front in 1918. They were not withdrawn until June of 1919, eight months after the armistice in France.
The were issued Remington and Westinghouse built Mosins instead of the regular issue Springfields and Enfields, to take advantage of the large stocks of ammunition already in place.
More than 200 died in Russia, almost half from disease and exposure.

Hawthorne2k
June 19, 2010, 12:15 PM
I'd like two movies:

The charge of the Rhorrim in the final Lord of the Rings movie showed that CGI is to the point where Hollywood can finally show why a cavalry charge was so feared, so I'd like another movie about the battle of Balaclava (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Balaclava), complete with the charge of the Heavy Brigade, the Light Brigade and The Thin Red Line.

I'd like to see someone do a Canadian verison of "Band Of Brothers", from Juno Beach (scene of some of the heaviest fighting on the beaches of Normandy) to the defense of Caen (can you say "meat-grinder"?) to the clearing of the Scheldt and on into Holland. There's a lot of history out there that most Canadians don't know about, much less the rest of the world.

Tim the student
June 19, 2010, 12:59 PM
I'd like to see a realistic movie made about Iraq.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
The U.S. doughboys that went into Russia to prop up the White Russians against the Bolshiviks.
In Korea in 1980-1981, I was in the 1/31 Infantry (Mechanized). It was part of the Russian Expeditionary Force. The U.S. was mostly there to keep an eye on the Japanese who sent a LOT of troops. The Japanese were hoping to peel off the Russian far east, including Siberia, but their Russian clients were too inept to pull it off.

You could do a movie just of the 1/31 Infantry.

Raised in the Philippines - 1916(?)
Sent to Russia - 1917(?)
Returned to the Philippines - 1919(?)
Went to Japan for earthquake relief - 1923
Returned to the Philippines - 1923
Wiped out by the Japanese - 1942
Reformed in Japan - 1945(?)
Went to Korea and almost wiped out by the North Koreans - 1950
In Korea as part of the 7th and the 2d Infantry Divisions until colors deactivated in the 1980s.

When I was there, they were a serious hard luck unit. We were featured in "Countermeasures", the Army safety magazine for drowning four guys by trying to swim the Han River in flood stage without drain plugs installed in their M113s.

It was called the "U.S. Foreign Legion" because it had NEVER been stationed in the continental United States. The unit greeting was "Pro Patria" after the French Foreign Legion.

After I PCSed, a guy from my company defected to North Korea.

Hawthorne2k
June 19, 2010, 01:06 PM
I'll settle for a movie that shows Stalin's Russia for what it really was. Something like "Total Eclipse" (http://reason.com/archives/2000/06/01/hollywoods-missing-movies), only a real movie.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 01:10 PM
A movie about the WWI German strategic bombing of the U.K. with Zeppelins and heavy bombers. There are several good books on the subject, including "The Sky on Fire" by Raymond Fredette.

There's an amazing anecdote of a German Goha bomber which struck a net hanging between two barrage balloons and stopped dead! The weight of the aircraft then slowly overcame the buoyancy of the balloons, gently lowering the bomber to the ground! CGI was invented for that kind of scene in a film.

FIVETWOSEVEN
June 19, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm still waiting for Lone Survivor to be finished.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
I'll settle for a movie that shows Stalin's Russia for what it really was. Something like "Total Eclipse", only a real movie.
Opposing movies based on "Stumbling Colossus" and "Ice Breaker".

The first would show how the Soviet military was massacred BEFORE the war by Stalin, and the disastrous consequences in the first days of the war. The second would present author Viktor Suvorov's claim that Hitler and Stalin were in a race to see who could attack the other first, with Hitler just beating out his rival.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 01:19 PM
A movie based on the "Luft '46" computer art collection, showing WWII as it might have been fought if the war had gone into 1946 and the Germans had been able to field more of their advanced weapons. There would be lots of footage of Me262s and He162s attacking U.S. B32s and B36s, as well as German attacks on New York and the Panama Canal with Horten flying wing bombers. It would be a race to see whether Berlin or New York was nuked first.

Zack
June 19, 2010, 01:46 PM
When Japan invaded the islands off Alaska you never hear about this, I saw it on History Channel.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 01:49 PM
When Japan invaded the islands off Alaska you never hear about this, I saw it on History Channel.
Lassie was in a movie about it. :D

Cosmoline
June 19, 2010, 02:39 PM
There was a good documentary about the Aleutians campaign a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-GA1dWta38

The Japanese were permitted to install a pretty hideous titanium "memorial" right on the spot where they massacred a bunch of our wounded. The vets featured in the film are not happy about it, but nobody remembers the battle or cares about the memory of the fallen. The invasion was pushed to the back pages to keep people from worrying, and the success at Midway overshadowed it. But it is pretty disgusting that so few Americans even know we were actually invaded by the Japanese during WWII--or that we had a devil of a time getting them out.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 02:59 PM
But it is pretty disgusting that so few Americans even know we were actually invaded by the Japanese during WWII--or that we had a devil of a time getting them out.
Or that it was one of those vanishingly rare occasions (along with Guadalcanal) where the Japanese didn't throw good after bad, sensibly evacuating Kiska when it became glaringly obvious that it was neither defensible, nor worth defending. The Japanese made a movie about it called "The Retreat from Kiska" (I remember the title as "Escape from Kiska"), starring Toshiro Mifune.

KodiakBeer
June 19, 2010, 03:19 PM
I spent a year on Attu Island in the 90's, along with 22 men and a dog. It was our regular practice to stop and take a leak on the Japanese memorial any time we 4-wheeled up the pass. There's also a smaller Japanese memorial in another spot for the Japanese Colonel who commanded. This one has his picture under glass which made a good target for taking a leak. This is the guy who executed the school teacher and shipped the villagers off to slave labor camps.

I think the greatest American battle of WWII was Mortain. About 2000 infantry troops stopped three SS Panzer Divisions and one Wehrmacht Panzer Division cold. The GI's suffered about 65% casualty rates. 12 hours after the battle started, one company that had started with 155 men, had 13 men left (almost all wounded) and they were still holding their ground and fighting. These few infantry troops crushed 4 German armored Divisions with little more than Garands, Mortars and a few light AT weapons. It's impossible, but it happened.

It would make a terrific film because it all took place in one tiny area.

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Mortain-Infantry-Division-Breakout/dp/0891416625

Tallinar
June 19, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'd like to see a comprehensive movie about The Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union.

KodiakBeer
June 19, 2010, 03:34 PM
A good Finland/USSR movie is "Ambush". It isn't the Winter War, but takes place when the fighting resumed in the summer of 41.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Ambush/60022399?strackid=67d98f04b4b44787_0_srl&strkid=1042824744_0_0&trkid=222336

bthest86
June 19, 2010, 03:49 PM
It was our regular practice to stop and take a leak on the Japanese memorial any time we 4-wheeled up the pass.

:barf: Urinating on a war dead memorial?

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 04:02 PM
Urinating on a war dead memorial?
What did those "war dead" do, before they GOT dead?

The Japanese still lionize convicted war criminals.

I suppose you'd be outraged if there were an SS "war dead memorial" at Babi Yar and somebody urinated on THAT...

KodiakBeer
June 19, 2010, 04:13 PM
What did those "war dead" do, before they GOT dead?

Invaded the US, murdered a schoolteacher and shipped an entire American village off as slave labor in the coal mines of northern Japan - less than half survived the war, dying of starvation and tuberculosis. Then (in the battle), they attacked a hospital, murdered the doctors and nurses and slaughtered the patients in their beds.

I only regret that I never needed to make a bowel movement.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 04:19 PM
Murdered a schoolteacher and shipped an entire American village off as slave labor in the coal mines of northern Japan. Less than half survived the war, dying of starvation and tuberculosis.
I'm sure that ultra-rightwing Japanese would say that the schoolteacher and the islanders VOLUNTEERED to be beheaded and worked to death as slave labor, respectively, you know, the way that thousands of Korean and Chinese girls (as young as twelve) VOLUNTEERED to be gang raped, infected with venereal diseases, and killed in various combat zones... kind of in the way in which 300,000 Chinese in Nanking VOLUNTEERED to be raped, mutilated and murdered.

bthest86
June 19, 2010, 04:28 PM
Ironically lots of Japanese and German grunts didn't volunteer to be fed through the massive WWII meat grinder either.

rbernie
June 19, 2010, 04:33 PM
Guys - this whole thread is dangerously close to off-topic; let's not make that fact so stunningly obvious that we're forced to lock it down.

Cosmoline
June 19, 2010, 05:03 PM
I'd like to see a comprehensive movie about The Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union.

There's a well known one called Talvisota, "The Winter War," and has recently (finally) been put out in mostly unedited form on DVD. It's from the late 80's, but presages much of what HBO did with "Band of Brothers, following a unit of men through the whole conflict in great detail:

http://www.amazon.com/Winter-War-TALVISOTA-Slip-Case-ALL-REGIONS/dp/B002QP145C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276977752&sr=8-2

Red Army Christmas Present:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUbV7VTiJ8s

KodiakBeer
June 19, 2010, 05:54 PM
Cosmo, thanks for the info on "Talvisota"!

I just did a little research and found that the version for sale on Amazon is the shortened and dumbed-down American two hour version, and a very poor video transfer to boot.

A 3 hour and 15 minute international version with a much better video transfer is out. I just found one on Ebay and there are quite a few more available.

The international version is a 2 disc set with 195 minutes, and the American version is one disc and 125 minutes.

WALKERs210
June 19, 2010, 06:02 PM
I would like to see one made where no one was hurt, killed or entire villages wiped out. Kinda wishful thinking. Maybe one day man can learn to live in peace.

Cosmoline
June 19, 2010, 07:19 PM
I just did a little research and found that the version for sale on Amazon is the shortened and dumbed-down American two hour version, and a very poor video transfer to boot.

Your info is in reference to THIS version, which I bought several years ago at great expense:

http://www.amazon.com/Winter-War-Talvisota-Pekka-Parikka/dp/B0000646UN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276985838&sr=1-1

The one I linked to in the earlier post is a NEW transfer via Korea (strange, I know), and is 70 minutes longer than the US release. It's also quite a bit cheaper. Both versions are available on Amazon, so exercise caution to make sure you're getting the new one.

There may still be more from the Finnish miniseries, but this is a big improvement. Much better transfer quality.

metalman8600
June 19, 2010, 07:32 PM
I would love to see a movie about a battle in which the Eastern Europeans repelled the Ottomans and other Turkic/Mongol invasions in a graphic novel movie kind of way. They leave out a lot of important history and facts in public school, so made a big time movie might get American society some real information.

This will sure get some negative marks from Hollywood and will most likely have to be independently funded, but what about an Israel vs Palestinian war film told from a Palestinian perspective.

Teutonic knights vs Slavic pagans.
North African Moors vs Spaniards
Qin Dynasty vs Mongols
Iran vs Iraq

KodiakBeer
June 19, 2010, 07:34 PM
The Korean version is the one I picked up on Ebay. I was thrown off by some of the Amazon comments which are talking about the short version. Apparently they are lumping the comments together. Can't wait to see it.

Check out "Ambush" for another Finn movie about WWII.

http://www.amazon.com/Ambush-Peter-Franz%C3%A9n/dp/B00005Y717/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276986795&sr=1-1

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 07:38 PM
I would love to see a movie about a battle in which the Eastern Europeans repelled the Ottomans and other Turkic/Mongol invasions in a graphic novel movie kind of way.
"The Adventures of Baron Munchausen"!

KodiakBeer
June 19, 2010, 07:40 PM
I would love to see a movie about a battle in which the Eastern Europeans repelled the Ottomans and other Turkic/Mongol invasions in a graphic novel movie kind of way.

Try With Fire and Sword: http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Sword-Ogniem-mieczem/dp/B0009WE3KW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276986985&sr=1-2

For other really terrific eastern European war movies, look for:

The Admiral (Russian)
Katyn (Polish)
Come and See (Russian)

Any one of these three films will leave you stunned.

leadcounsel
June 19, 2010, 07:46 PM
A moving and realistic PRO USA (or at least a realistic movie that isn't anti-American) movie about Iraq and or Afghanistan - maybe following a unit to both locations over a period of a couple years.

metalman8600
June 19, 2010, 08:32 PM
Try With Fire and Sword: http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Sword-Ogniem-mieczem/dp/B0009WE3KW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276986985&sr=1-2

For other really terrific eastern European war movies, look for:

The Admiral (Russian)
Katyn (Polish)
Come and See (Russian)

Any one of these three films will leave you stunned.
I've seen Katyn, it is a good movie. And Iv'e seen parts of The Admiral.
A good one is "An Ancient Tale: When the Sun Was a God". I wish I lived in those kind of times.

RhodesianRLI
June 19, 2010, 09:00 PM
Rhodesian war from the point of view of the Rhodesian, not the point of view of the Black Communist terrorists.

WW2 and the events leading up to it from the point of view of the Germans, not the point of view of the allies, not out to demonize the Germans or trying to teach any lessons on morality.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 09:35 PM
WW2 and the events leading up to it from the point of view of the Germans, not the point of view of the allies, not out to demonize the Germans or trying to teach any lessons on morality.
A dramatization of selected parts of Heinz Höhne's "Order of the Death's Head", in particular the sections on the Night of the Long Knives, the massacre at Babi Yar and the final collapse of the SS. German scholarship on the war and the Holocaust demonizes the Germans better than anyone else.

A dramatization of Christopher Browning's "Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland".

A dramatization of Charles Sydnor's "Soldiers of Destruction" about the rise, fall and crimes of the SS Totenkopf Division and it's commander Theodor Eicke.

A dramatization of the history of the Dirlewanger Brigade of the Waffen SS, led by a rapist and populated almost entirely by poachers, rapists, murderers and other criminals.

A tragicomedy about Himmler's double dealing at the end of the war, and his brief and pathetic, comic opera career as a "combat commander" from which he bailed by feigning a cold. Himmler would be played by Wallace Shawn, the voice of the T-Rex in the "Toy Story" movies.

jmr40
June 19, 2010, 09:56 PM
The story of Roy Benavidez http://www.psywarrior.com/benavidez.html would make a great movie. But as Ronald Reagan said when awarding the Medal of Honor, no one would make it because the story is just too unbelievable. Most people would dismiss the movie as fiction, like a Rambo movie.

jeffmack
June 19, 2010, 10:12 PM
Not a battle, and very, very difficult to pull off, but:
I always thought the period when Wild Bill was in Abilene would be a good story. He was past his prime and starting to lose his vision. A very young John Wesley Hardin showed up. Ben Thompson, a very dangerous man in his own right, tried to get them to kill each other.

Also, a war movie that could also make a very good horror movie would be the Battle of Ramree Island.
"...Of about 1,000 Japanese soldiers that entered the swamps of Ramree, only about 20 were found alive."

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 10:23 PM
Also, a war movie that could also make a very good horror movie would be the Battle of Ramree Island.
"...Of about 1,000 Japanese soldiers that entered the swamps of Ramree, only about 20 were found alive."
Is that where a Japanese force was pinned between Royal Navy ships and a swamp full of crocodiles?

jeffmack
June 19, 2010, 11:18 PM
Yes, Deanimator. That is correct. Obviously the details of the battle are debated, but still pretty creepy.

Deanimator
June 19, 2010, 11:41 PM
The exploits of Tsuji Masanobu, the "Randall Flagg" of the Imperial Japanese Army, culminating in his alleged disappearance and killing China after the war.

skoro
June 20, 2010, 12:00 AM
One that should be made:

A docu-drama on the Battle of the Kursk salient in July 1943. This was the biggest single battle of WWII (and the biggest ever tank battle anywhere) and it decided the outcome on the Russian Front, but little is known among the American public. This battle shifted the advantage decisively to the Russians and they never took a step back after Kursk, although the war dragged on for nearly two more years. This engagement dwarfs the Battle of the Bulge, which is the largest battle the US Army has ever participated in.

Way back when I was in the military (many moons ago) we new lieutenants were 'encouraged' to check out books from the base library that dealt with the Eastern Front in WWII, since it was assumed at that time that the Russians would be our likely opponents. The scale of combat in that theater was a real eye-opener.

Deanimator
June 20, 2010, 12:40 AM
A docu-drama on the Battle of the Kursk salient in July 1943.
And it should include newer information on Prokhorovka, which suggests that the Soviets made more mistakes than they admitted to, including running into their own tank ditch.

16in50calNavalRifle
June 20, 2010, 03:45 AM
I know small arms were not involved, but the Battle of Leyte Gulf, especially the wild action off Samar involving the massively out-gunned US forces of Taffy III, would make a spectacular movie. The associated actions at Surigao Strait and Halsey's dash after Ozawa's decoy formation would be interesting framing events, but the Battle off Samar was the only time US naval forces were in a significant action faced a superior enemy after Midway, and the performance by the outgunned units has rarely been matched in US history.

Without a bit of artistic license being used the story would make a hugely exciting, educational, and inspirational film.

metalman8600
June 20, 2010, 04:29 AM
Here's one:

A realistic yet surreal war film about a future war that only that only now seems unlikely, yet hits home hard enough to make people (and politicians) think a bit deeper about the world today and what's going on. Oh I can think of many scenarios for this type of film. A gritty semi-surreal eye opener of a movie. Oh, and it will be at least 3 hours long.

TexasBill
June 20, 2010, 04:32 AM
I think Hollywood could make a good movie about either Iraq or Afghanistan. It doesn't need to be conservative or liberal - just a good story about American troops and the incredibly difficult job they do.

Tim the student
June 20, 2010, 10:56 AM
I think Hollywood could make a good movie about either Iraq or Afghanistan.

I think they could too - too bad they haven't yet. So far, they are all crap, IMO - especially The Hurt Locker.

pikid89
June 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
a movie based on the book "lone survivor"

and

a movie about the exploits of Carlos Hathcock

kokop
June 20, 2010, 11:15 AM
resistance in WWII.

KodiakBeer
June 20, 2010, 11:55 AM
resistance in WWII.

Come and See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/ComeSee.jpg

SharpsDressedMan
June 20, 2010, 01:09 PM
I'll go with a less campy, gritty, realistic remake of "the Dirty Dozen". Something really believable with a slight rewrite, with well scripted characters, and realistic weapons and gunfights. Maybe have more things go wrong (like real life operations do), and have the Germans be a bit more cunning and dangerous (like they were). Now THAT would be a war movie! Maybe shoot it with less known actors so that there is no dues paid for big names or egos.

winchester '97
June 20, 2010, 01:37 PM
I Can't remember the title for the life of me but there is a good movie about the war in Iraq. It was very realistic and honestly i loved it, still searching for the title though. Jarhead was fairly accurate too, set in the gulf war but still good. I would like to see a movie realistically depict Simo Hoyha's actions in the winter war, as well as a realistic Korean war movie.

DammitBoy
June 20, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'd like to see, "The 2nd American Civil War"...

Humakavula
June 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
There was a book by a guy named Robert J. Lamphere "The Secret War"

Honduras and Nicaragua iirc

the book spoke of an American mans experiences helping fight a guerrilla war in central america. I believe it was fiction but it was a great read.

wishin
June 20, 2010, 02:16 PM
Something on the Bay Of Pigs debacle would interest me.

Devilfrog
June 20, 2010, 02:16 PM
a movie about the exploits of Carlos Hathcock

+1 That would be a good movie!

LeontheProfessional
June 20, 2010, 02:30 PM
I would like to see an accurate movie about the Marine battle at Fallujah. I have seen the Military channel special on it along with the special on the Marine Sniper and think that a really great movie could be made about it.

Deanimator
June 20, 2010, 02:40 PM
resistance in WWII.
"Defiance" with Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber.

Deanimator
June 20, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'll go with a less campy, gritty, realistic remake of "the Dirty Dozen".
A movie of the sequel, which was set in French Indo-China just before the end of the war. The book was really good.

woerm
June 21, 2010, 12:27 AM
Some time back I found the real book "American Gurrella in thePphilipines"

the movie sucked

Wish they would actually make a movie from the book which IIRC
was written by Ramesy

BLACKHAWKNJ
June 21, 2010, 12:57 AM
As long as movies are historically accurate I am happy. I have always considered The Longest Day as the model for a war movie- about 90% historically
accurate with only minimal hoking up, portraying real people, places and actions.

F-Body Demon
June 21, 2010, 07:30 AM
Al Nasiriyah

Tim the student
June 21, 2010, 10:47 AM
I would like to see an accurate movie about the Marine battle at Fallujah.

The Marines were not the only ones to fight in Fallujah. I don't know who else did, but I can guarantee you that elements of 3rd BDE 1ID fought there too. Just sayin.

Justin
June 21, 2010, 11:32 AM
This isn't really all that on-topic for THR.

If you enjoyed reading about "War Movies You Would Like To See Made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!