WWB at Walmart up again....Is there an end?

PDA

cbrgator
July 12, 2008, 05:55 PM
9mm WWB at walmart has gone up again to 20 bucks from about 18.50. When will this crap subside? A box was 12.50 3 years ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "WWB at Walmart up again....Is there an end?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
July 12, 2008, 06:08 PM
Does anyone here buy gasoline???:cuss:;)

Yes, prices are going up. China is buying lots more petroleum -- and metals too, hence ammo pricers going up.
We're all of us hurting out here -- and it ain't just bullets costing too much.

Just Jim
July 12, 2008, 06:16 PM
You guys keep buying chinese products and your ammo will go out of sight. The Chinese are buying our raw materials (copper etc) and selling us back products. The prices are going to be what they want to charge cause we have given them manufacturing of our goods.

jj

Atla
July 12, 2008, 06:18 PM
My local walmart has been warning of a price increase ahead for a while now - reckon it finally caught up.

Gotta get to reloading.

cbrgator
July 12, 2008, 06:18 PM
It's so true. China is taking over....and we're letting 'em.

WhoUtink
July 12, 2008, 06:25 PM
I not sure if your talking 50 box or a 100 box, but I was at my walmart the other day and the were 10.98 a box for 50.

yongxingfreesty
July 12, 2008, 06:26 PM
10.98 which use to cost $4.93/50rnds. lol.

im glad i held onto a lot of 9mm/223

rondog
July 12, 2008, 06:28 PM
It's not just China, there's a lot of factors causing price increases in everything. Do the research, don't just blame a society you don't like.

The majority of Chinese and Indians have been peasants forever, you don't think they have the right to running water, toilets and refrigerators too?

Put the blame where it belongs, on our stupid government and politicians.

GingerGuy
July 12, 2008, 06:48 PM
The Democrats and their Congress are responsible. They have done nothing to stop the increases in oil prices and have blocked drilling for decades. The same is true for ammo and many other items. We are in deep do-do with guns and ammo if Nobamo wins this election.

TX1911fan
July 12, 2008, 06:56 PM
Reloading 9mm is getting more economical. I think I'm reloading for $5 or $6 a box of 50 now.

GerryM
July 12, 2008, 06:59 PM
Wally World in Ft Collins was at $!9.95 for WWB 9mm 100 count when I checked today

ken grant
July 12, 2008, 07:09 PM
One of the main reasons for the price increases in everything is the value of the dollar. It is sinking like a rock and our Government does not care,they just print and spend more which keeps the dollar sinking even farther.

22-rimfire
July 12, 2008, 07:12 PM
So what is $!9.95? 19.95?

Evenflo76
July 12, 2008, 07:20 PM
time to order 9mm dies I guess

novaDAK
July 12, 2008, 07:21 PM
at the local wally world, .38 special is now the same price as .45acp per hundred...29.99. .38 used to be on par with .40sw...now its more. I'm really looking into getting my reloader set up for .38 since its easy to keep brass (don't have to pick it off the floor) :)

Wheeler44
July 12, 2008, 07:23 PM
The Democrats and their Congress are responsible. Oh please....One of the main reasons for the price increases in everything is the value of the dollar. yep.. "stagflation is gonna be with us for a while, get used to it.

We are sending Billions of dollars in merchandise to Iraq and Afghanistan, that money will never come back. And we are borrowing to do so, so we pay interest as well. The wars are the biggest waste of money in most of the forum members lives. Too bad their grand children get stuck with the bill.

Zoogster
July 12, 2008, 07:29 PM
The majority of Chinese and Indians have been peasants forever, you don't think they have the right to running water, toilets and refrigerators too?

Actualy our government is not to blame to the extent you would like.

The truth is, just like you note, much of the world that used to just be a source for raw materials because the people in those places had little use for them themselves are now becoming major consumers.

For almost 100 years the United States has been the primary consumer of resources in the world with a little competition from Europe and Russia.

That is all changing now, and third and second world nations are mirroring our lifestyles and becoming major consumers themselves.
Places that once had little use for thier own resources and were major sources for us now want not only many of thier own resources but other resources as well.

Our local economic issues are only a minor part of it.
Things will continue in this direction and many of the current nations that have the best quality of life will find thier average quality of life decrease significantly as thier is a lot more demand for once cheap abundant resources taken for granted.
Good economic decisions can slow that, but they cannot stop it. Quality of life is going to drop, and continue to drop for years to come, while it raises for places it was once very low.
There will be periods of slower drop in quality of life (the ups) and periods of faster drop in the quality of life (the downs) in the roller coaster ride for decades to come, but the general direction will be down for us.

You are simply seeing more world equality :neener: the results of modernizing those poor third world nations.

countertop
July 12, 2008, 07:30 PM
One of the main reasons for the price increases in everything is the value of the dollar. It is sinking like a rock and our Government does not care,they just print and spend more which keeps the dollar sinking even farther.

Let me offer a counter perspective - the best thing this country has going for it right now is the value of the dollar. It means, notwithstanding the Democrats desire to send all our jobs overseas, we are actually able to compete in world markets.

A cheap US dollar means foreigners can afford to buy our goods and services . . . and dare I say, without customers most of us would be without jobs (which would make this forthcoming recession really scary).

Sort of tough to blame Democrats for this one. Sure, the roots of it clearly date back to the shenanigans Clinton allowed to happen during his adminsitration (to get the economy rocking) but then, of course, the Republicans are the ones who have flitered away all of our prosperity. Democratic majority isn't real keen and doing anything to fix the situation, but its the result of complete Republican rule for 8 years that things are as bad as they are.

We need to concentrate on throwing out every single Republican (or getting the current ones to step down and allow new uncorrupted blood to run) so that in 2 years we can return with a clean slate of Republican candidates who actually believe in what they are campaigning on.

Hk91-762mm
July 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
======>>>>
GREAT POST-!!!
The Democrats and their Congress are responsible. They have done nothing to stop the increases in oil prices and have blocked drilling for decades. The same is true for ammo and many other items. We are in deep do-do with guns and ammo if Nobamo wins this election.

I agree-IF we had drilled for oil years ago and passed laws against exporting it and other raw materials --AND hammered the enviro NUTS into the ground .WE the USA would be king of the hill as to living standards -
We should Open -Or RE-open all our Metals Mines , Dig all the coal we can get Rebuild our stel industriy [sans Overpaid unions] and Put this country back on the road to economic recovery!
As a kid growing up in the 60s I can remember all kinds of manufacturing Jobs Almost all of them driven out By enviro protection Laws[try opening a crome plating or Magnesiun casting plant in the USA-Hint ---It aing gonna happen ever again !
Soon you will not be able to buy American Made ammo anymore =!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CBS220
July 12, 2008, 08:23 PM
I see a sizable portion of THR flunked freshman econ :rolleyes:

ranger335v
July 12, 2008, 08:35 PM
"WWB at Walmart up again....Is there an end?"

Don't really know about that. I'm 67, been buying ammo since about '54 and it's been going up ever since then.

Maybe the prices on things are going to level off when Obammy takes over with an increased Demmy control of both houses in DC and they can increase taxes. Only on the "rich", of course, just as they always promise. And then redistribute all that wealth properly. Maybe THEN we'll have plenty of everything and someone else will pay for it all. Maybe. ???

Well, yeah, Pelosi "promised" to lower gasoline prices last election, when it was running about $3 a gallon. But I guess those silly ol' Republicans spoiled her plan. Just can't seem to remember what her plan was, but surely she had one and simply couldn't get "by-partisan" support or things would be great now. But just wait until they get full control of all elements of political power, then things will surely get set straight, and pretty quickly too!

Meanwhile, who can really afford ammo after paying for the fuel to go to mean ol' WallyWorld, the working man's enemy store?

Just Jim
July 12, 2008, 08:37 PM
It's not just China, there's a lot of factors causing price increases in everything. Do the research, don't just blame a society you don't like.

Sooner or later you will figure out that you have to support your own borders, language and culture to survive. The other countries may seek material wealth but their ideas of freedom are different than those in America. Take care of your own or it will soon dissapear.

How many Chinese or Indian peasants own a gun?? By buying their goods you give their government more power to inflict more gun control around the world. Buy foriegn goods and you give up your gun rights at the same time, even if you don't realize it.

jj

Buckshot Bill
July 12, 2008, 08:53 PM
HK91-762mm, I couldn't have put it better myself! You nailed it right on the head. I'd like to know when "we the people" are gonna finally say- "HEY, DEMOCRAT ENVIRO-WACKOS, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!-Drill for our resources and do It NOW!

Wheeler44
July 12, 2008, 08:58 PM
"HEY, DEMOCRAT ENVIRO-WACKOS, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!-Drill for our resources and do It NOW!Oh heck ya just run some heavy metal right down the river, the heck with the place where we live.I couldn't have put it better myself! You nailed it right on the head. snort snort hahaha rotflmao, well really crying.

cornman
July 12, 2008, 09:08 PM
Good God, are people ever going to stop being brainwashed by the GOP? Yeah, the democrats are responcible for 8 years of oil men bankrupting this nation and making the world laugh at our ignorance. Greed and arrogance of conservitives is bleeding every last dime of the middle and lower class so the greeding can keep using the FED as an ATM. Wake up. There is not a enough oil in all of the US to have any effect on the current oil situation. Saddly Reagan gutted the Carter plan for energy independence by the year 2000. Every forward looking Idea to better this nation is attacked by conservitives for short term greed and foolish ideology.

camslam
July 12, 2008, 09:19 PM
Let's leave politics out of this, even though it DOES play a part. I don't care if you are a Democrat or a Republican, they both suck and are doing their level best to screw our country.

I do have to say invoking the name of Jimmy Carter is probably one of the funnier things I have read in some time.

Saddly Reagan gutted the Carter plan for energy independence by the year 2000.

Yeah, old Jimmy had the country headed in the right direction. :):barf::rolleyes:

Sadly the realities are ammo is headed up and it isn't going to stop. That is why I just grabbed another 5k rounds today.

Reloading is on the schedule as soon as I can get the time and money to learn how to do it right.

Just Jim
July 12, 2008, 09:25 PM
Every forward looking Idea to better this nation is attacked by conservitives for short term greed and foolish ideology.

Yep that damn conservative Clinton vetoed a bill to allow drilling for oil in Anwar about 12 years ago. We don't need no damn oil just raise the prices higher so people will quit useing it.:banghead:

Hell we don't need no jobs or energy to run this country, we can just outsource our lives all together.:cuss: We don't need any borders and language or culture because we have democrat ideology to lead us, you know, the same ones that have been trying to steal our guns for ever.:scrutiny:

The country is run by thieves on one side and insane fools on the other and look around you and you will see what they have brought upon us.

jj

CBS220
July 12, 2008, 09:47 PM
Good God, are people ever going to stop being brainwashed by the GOP? Yeah, the democrats are responcible for 8 years of oil men bankrupting this nation and making the world laugh at our ignorance. Greed and arrogance of conservitives is bleeding every last dime of the middle and lower class so the greeding can keep using the FED as an ATM. Wake up. There is not a enough oil in all of the US to have any effect on the current oil situation. Saddly Reagan gutted the Carter plan for energy independence by the year 2000. Every forward looking Idea to better this nation is attacked by conservitives for short term greed and foolish ideology.

You appear to have left out your /sarcasm tag.

And your spell check.

Green Lantern
July 12, 2008, 09:56 PM
Yep that damn conservative Clinton vetoed a bill to allow drilling for oil in Anwar about 12 years ago.

Beat me to it! Well, that was a dumb plan anyway - you know it would have taken 10 years to have an affect on our gas supplies?

...oh wait...;)

SSN Vet
July 12, 2008, 10:07 PM
Yup! that's almost exactly double what it was 18 months ago.

When will this crap subside?

I don't see any reason to think that it will.

Just wait untill gas hits $10 bucks a gallon.

Welcome to the new world order

bogie
July 12, 2008, 10:09 PM
Can we PUHLEEZE just have one giant wally-world thread?

NeveraVictimAgain
July 12, 2008, 10:13 PM
I wish my local Wal Mart would stock 9mm WWB HOLLOW POINTS like they used to. Then I'd have the luxury of bitching about the price.

Aguila Blanca
July 12, 2008, 10:19 PM
The price hike was yesterday (Friday). I bought WWB .45 ACP today. Price was $29.88. The young lady who rang me up in Sporting Goods told me the price went up yesterday. It was $28.48 last week. That's a 5% jump.

Ouch.

Tommygunn
July 13, 2008, 12:16 AM
There is not a enough oil in all of the US to have any effect on the current oil situation.

Between Anwar, offshore resources, and the Dakotas we have more oil in America than Saudia Arabia.
The problem isn't we lack oil, it's we haven't built a refinery in a generation, offshore drilling has been limited by kongress and it would take a long time to get those rigs built to do it if it was opened up, and the envirowhackos have taken over Washington DC's "groupthink."
We are limiting ourselves.
One of the reasons (it is said) that the Saudis aren't really trying to boost their production to help us (as Shrubbie the younger implored) was they don't believe we have a serious oil problem, and they think that because they don't see us doing any drilling for it.

Prince Yamato
July 13, 2008, 12:45 AM
And if we allowed importation of Chinese firearms and ammo, we could have cheap Norinco ammo again... but then these same people who complain about ammo prices would start saying how they're only going to "buy American" because "they'll never support a commie country". They'll mention incidents from 1989 as if it's still the same China. They'll mention the Falun Gong. They pity all these things, but if you offered political asylum to ANY of those people who needed it, these same "patriots" would bitch that somehow [foreigner de jour] was suddenly a threat to our economy.

My budget doesn't care about country of origin. Some of you also have a veiled racism/bigotry when it comes to foreigners and it's rather disgusting. It usually appears in threads like this or threads about border security. Somehow, threads about border security, or imported goods turn from civilized discussion into paranoid, "the Mexicans are taking over, The Chinese are coming to get us, the world is falling apart due to non-Americans" threads.

Now back to the topic at hand.

Wolf ammo costs less online. Buy Wolf. Buy Russian. Buy from the lowest bidder. Paying more isn't "patriotism", it's stupidity.

Just Jim
July 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
Wolf ammo costs less online. Buy Wolf. Buy Russian. Buy from the lowest bidder. Paying more isn't "patriotism", it's stupidity.

Stupidity is sending money to your enemies by buying their products. If you have noticed the change in your budget from higher prices it is from the stupidity of buying foriegn manufactured goods.

At least the WWB at wally world is made in America.

jj

DRYHUMOR
July 13, 2008, 10:56 AM
Wallyworld still seems to be the lower priced ammo dealer, though not in everything. And the choices are pretty limited. Bought a box of 7mm Rem mag yesterday, $17 and change. Federal 150's. They were $22 and change at the Sportsmans Warehouse.
However, the SW had .223 Black Hills reloads for $26 a box a few weeks back, yesterday they were $31

Hk91-762mm
July 13, 2008, 11:18 AM
There is a scrap yard around the corrner from where I work.
Every day hundreds of trucks go around the corneer loaded with anything metal.
Even old ladies will fill the trunk of there mini cars with bags of small metal things to turn in .
NOW-Where is all this Metal going>?????????
I dont see any smelting going on in the USA. Just where is this RAW material going to be mented down??? YEP-You got it Someplace besides here in the ol USA. and its worth more outside this country.
Remember when we sent all that scrap to JAPAN in the 20s and 30s?? They were kind enough to return it to us in the 40S!!!!!!!!!!!!
The best thing this country could do is BAN THE EXPORT OF RAW MATERIALS This would force the USA to Start manufacturing the basic materials for manufacturing again. No need to export your brass and lead to country XYZ to be made into ammo we could do it here .
I lived in Montana -Gods country Great place to make a small fortune -JUST start with a BIG fortune soon it will shrink -There is no industry AT ALL But there used to be --Mining and smelting Lead and gold mining --Guess why they dont do that anymore -:fire: -- HINT the women wear combat boots .Prarrie skirts and carry kids in ther backs when they work the garden:cuss:

22-rimfire
July 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
The June price increases are hitting. After stock was depleted, the price goes up.

I have to give a thumbs up to Walmart in this aspect of pricing. They must buy huge quantities of ammunition at discounted prices from the manufactures. They consistantly sell the ammunition they carry for less than most other retailers and tend to not increase prices until they run out of their stock versus the way gasoline retailers do.

There will likely be more price increases.

cubfarm1
July 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
Try really liking to shot .44 at todays price. Made me buy a 9mm and now I have another gun in the collection.

Old School
July 13, 2008, 11:37 AM
Remember how the US economy changed when the Japanese invaded the auto industry? That was just a small island and even they had an strong impact on metal and materials. Look at the size of China. Then consider India & Russia. Then consider the other smaller Asian nations and South America.

There is no way around it. These poor country's citizens are now competing with you directly for resources and jobs. That is the new world order and it is not going away. We would love to blame this politician or that political party, but it was just destiny for wealthy business men in prosperous countries like the USA to exploit the opportunities offered by cheaper labor and global commerce. It is just how the world has always worked.

Oil, metals and industrial supplies are going to keep going up too. The US is not THE big dog consumer anymore. We are just ONE of the big dog consumers. While ammo prices are a good micro examination of the effects, we are gonna see it in everything.

La Pistoletta
July 13, 2008, 11:51 AM
According to estimations, there are many billions of barrels of oil in the Alaskan reserves alone. Deregulation would allow for initial prospecting of that area which could possible lower oil prices even now. Yet the government keeps their prohibitions.

Restrictions have also made sure the last oil refinery construction in the US was in the 1970's.

The government can't lower the real price of oil. It can only get out of the way by removing taxes and regulations.

Just Jim
July 13, 2008, 11:54 AM
Oil, metals and industrial supplies are going to keep going up too. The US is not THE big dog consumer anymore. We are just ONE of the big dog consumers. While ammo prices are a good micro examination of the effects, we are gonna see it in everything.

That is why you shouldn't buy foriegn goods, it just gives them money to compete with us on the market and drives the prices up.

What happens when oil reaches $200 bucks a barrel and WWB is $50 a box?? Keep buying that foriegn manufactured stuff and you will soon see.

jj

Just Jim
July 13, 2008, 12:03 PM
There are alot of stupid people in this world that think only with their wallet. A quick example is those who hire illegals to do labor. The cheap cost of labor is far offset by the cost of the illegals being here. It drives the prices up on everything here and adds 30% to our crime rates along with them bringing 90% of the drugs with them as they cross the border. It cost you money to hire illegals but people are too stupid to understand it.

Same with buying cheap goods from foriegn countries. The money you send them competes with you for oil, you cut your own throat. Plus as they grow it is going to be worse.

If you want cheaper ammo at Wally world then don't support those who comepete against you for goods, especialy if they don't have the same culture of freedom that America has.

jj

Checkman
July 13, 2008, 12:03 PM
Yep the times they are a changing. Better get busy adjusting to the brave new world. Bitching about it isn't going to change it.

As for me. Well I talked to my grandfather about growing up during the Depression, WW 2 and the years immediately following the war.

Ammo was expensive and not real plentiful back in the day. It wasn't uncommon for a box of fifty rounds to last for months even a year or more. Grandpa told me it was a big deal to go out and shoot twelve even eighteen rounds through a revolver.

Those who could purchased a 22 handgun and/or rifle and did most of their shooting with 22's.

The bigger calibers were hoarded and taken out for hunting or real world confrontations.

Those who were serious about shooting did alot of dry-firing. Even Elmer Keith was an advocate of dry-firing. As was Col. Townsend Whelan, Phil Sharpe, Bill Jordan and so on.

Shooting was about quality not quantity.

Me? Well I've purchased Snap Caps for all my calibers. For my revolvers I've purchased a couple dozen of each caliber, so I can practice working with my speed loaders.

Hey the snap caps are made in the U.S.A. so you're helping out the country if nothing else.

Everytime one of these threads gets started I bang the dry firing drum, but nobody ever responds. Guess it isn't as satisfying as complaining.

DRYHUMOR
July 13, 2008, 01:09 PM
Checkman I agree.

I learned about dry firing in the service. It was the best way to learn how to call your shots. Most usefull with a scoped rifle, but I still dry fire handguns a lot. When I end up at the range, I mentally call all my shots. I know all too well when my shot was off

Just Jim
July 13, 2008, 01:29 PM
The problem is with the American Dollar.

The value of the American dollar will skyrocket if we quit spending it on foriegn manufactured goods. Supply and demand.

Ammo would go down and so would oil.

jj

22-rimfire
July 13, 2008, 02:05 PM
We live in a new world here in the USA. Global trade. After WWII, we set the price of products such as steel and so forth. It is just not the case any more.

The dollar will strengthen. We need to spend our money smarter. Europeans have lived under this umbrella for a long time. There will be growing pains as with most adjustments in lifestyle.

Buy American as much as you can. That includes firearms and the dealers that sell them. Support your local FFL dealer with your purchases. It is nice to have choices and internet auctions are a wonderful new thing. They just don't support local dealers. I would charge a premium for the service. You can't stay in business just doing transfers and the ATF has made it difficult for private FFL's working out of their homes mostly doing transfers or ordering for friends and family. The amount of money just doesn't pay the light bill or the rent unless it is a hobby.

DRYHUMOR
July 13, 2008, 02:16 PM
Just Jim,

There's a lot of people out there who can't afford to buy anything but the "cheap foreign goods". Take a close look at the folks in those Walmarts. I buy ammo there mostly because it's a couple of bucks cheaper than anywhere else. I go mail order for increased selection.

Unfortunately, our schools in this country do not do a very good job of teaching basic economics or even sound principles such as cause and effect.

I knew 15 years ago working out in the Pacific rim that oil was becomming a tremendous issue. China was even then flexing it's muscle to claim disputed fields in the Philippenes.

Outsourcing has given the shareholders their dividend checks, but at what cost to America. Don't forget the other countries that have outsourced as well. The world's richest have raised the world's poorest. Now the world's poorest have a greater say. They are saying it with their money.

I'm 47, I remember as a kid in the midwest seeing gas sell for 10-11 cents a gallon during price wars. I'm not that old.

There is no trickle down economics. Ammo will continue to rise in cost, as will everything else. It may be best to stock up on ammo, powder, bullets, etc, while it is relatively cheap.

Checkman
July 13, 2008, 02:29 PM
DRYHUMOR,

You hit the nail on the head. I'm 40 and I remember the seventies. Product shortages thanks to Nixon's ill-advised wage and price control acts. The two oil embargos, odd-even days for getting gas etc. Not to mention the Iran hostage fiasco, truly skyrocketing inflation, gold costs setting new records etc. The country's infrastructure was decaying, the Arabs were sitting pretty, houses were being foreclosed and gas hit a dollar a gallon in 1979. It was a mess. Sound familar?

Americans got smart then, but forgot everything they had learned thanks to the economic upturns in the eighties and nineties. Well the good times have ended - again. So here we go - again.

Do we really need to shoot up three hundred rounds everytime we go to the range? Is it necessary to expend a 1,000 rounds per month?. According to somefolks on this forum it is. You aren't even a okay shooter if you don't go through at least five hundred rounds every month. Ridiculous.

Time to go back to the basics.

Wild Deuce
July 13, 2008, 02:33 PM

Uhm ... no, they don't have a right. (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/what-is-a-right/) Please note that I didn't say they couldn't have those things. Read the link ... it's more eloquent than I could ever be. Hopefully it might shed some light for those that think we have a right to cheap ammunition.

Big45
July 13, 2008, 02:34 PM
We are in deep do-do with guns and ammo if Nobamo wins this election.

How so? How so EXACTLY? What is going to happen specifically to the business?

DRYHUMOR
July 13, 2008, 02:43 PM
I think the supreme court just answered the gun question. There are currently more important issues facing a new administration, then the guns and ammo.
Of course never underestimate an anti with deep pockets who has an ear to whisper into.
Have we ventured off track?

ColinthePilot
July 13, 2008, 02:44 PM
when I went over yesterday, Blazer Brass was cheaper than WWB, so my shootin buddy and I cleaned em out of Blazer entirely.

Fleetwood_Captain
July 13, 2008, 02:45 PM
This thread makes me love my .22's more and more by the minute.

Just Jim
July 13, 2008, 02:54 PM
There's a lot of people out there who can't afford to buy anything but the "cheap foreign goods".

The real cost of those goods isn't "cheap", you will pay at the pumps for what you didn't pay at the store

I knew 15 years ago working out in the Pacific rim that oil was becomming a tremendous issue.

We had a fuel crisis back in the Carter years (over 30 years ago). He did nothing about it and none of the presidents after him has. However they did opened up trade and caused the price of everything to go up with more competition for oil.

There is no trickle down economics.

Our buying foriegn goods has allowed them to compete so trickle down does work, but it is working against us.

jj

Just Jim
July 13, 2008, 02:59 PM
How so? How so EXACTLY? What is going to happen specifically to the business?

Obama is a Marxist Socialist in his leanings and that has never been good for gun owners. The Clintons who brought us the AWB were of the same breed. Obama won't be good for America or the price of ammo at wally world.

jj

Selfdfenz
July 13, 2008, 03:08 PM
Back on topic...a few yrs back when 100 round boxes of WW was $10.86 at Wal-Mart it was an outstanding buy. I once caught a deal on 9mm S&B for $4.98 per 50 rnds and I was very happy with the product and the price. Neither was match ammo but, considering my handgun shooting skills, match quality ammo is not applicable.

Those prices are gone for the time being. I'm not willing to say those prices are gone forever but prices on 9mm have to un-double to get back to the good old days and I don't see anything like that happening near term or long term.

For folks that still what to shoot econonically in large amounts reloading offers some options. If you want to shoot 9mm in 2008 at 1998 prices the only way it's going to happen is with a reloading setup. Fortunately the price increases that have hit the shooting sports in so any ways haven't yet found their way into reloading, except on the components. If you watch you can still find some deals on components occassionally. Presses, dies, scales etc have remained pretty static price-wise.

If ammo prices are digging into your time-over-target and you don't reload you should give it some serious thought. Actually with the price increases in 9/45/38 ammo over just the past 12 months if you shoot more than 100 rounds a week you should already be reloading or well on your way. There are other justifications but I won't go into that on this thread.

S-

DRYHUMOR
July 13, 2008, 03:31 PM
Yep, back on topic.

Kmart sells ammo, fair price, but hit and miss.

XD Fan
July 13, 2008, 03:56 PM
This thread has fallen apart.

What is more, CBS220 is right.

Alex45ACP
July 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
Look, the cause of this problem is very simple, although no one wants to admit it. The root problem is overpopulation. Too many people, not enough resources. We can complain about speculation and Democrats and OPEC and environmentalists all day long, but that's the bottom line. If you want prices to go down, stop having children and tell everyone you know to stop having children. Otherwise, stop whining.

Checkman
July 13, 2008, 04:56 PM
Well perhaps a superbug like Captain Trips will come along and wipe out 99.9 % of the Human race. Poof no shortage.

This thread is in a shambles. It should be locked and put out of it's misery.

Rugerlvr
July 13, 2008, 11:41 PM
ibtl

asknight
July 14, 2008, 03:06 AM
Just Jim said:
At least the WWB at wally world is made in America.

Not to poke a hole in an otherwise decent arguement... quite a bit of WWB is loaded by Sellier & Bellot in the Czech Republic and by IMI in Israel. ;)

I recently noticed on a box of WWB "USA" ammo with a clear disclaimer reading:
"USA" is a brand name and does not denote the country of manufacture of this product.

Fraudulent advertising, if you ask me.

sublimaze41
July 14, 2008, 04:19 AM
I just love how some people think shooting 400+ rounds is excessive. Hey, I would shoot 3 times that each range session if I could. Personally I enjoy shooting .22 a little bit, but I love shooting centerfire and that is my focus.

If you don't like the high price of ammo from Wally World then don't buy it. Your only other option is reloading, and it's a good one for many reasons.

Last 2 range sessions I shot the following:

9mm FMJ----200
.357 JHP----150
.40 CP-----75
.30-06 FMJ----100
.223 FMJ/ballistic tip ----250
.22-250 ballistic tip----25
.243 HP----25

If you were to buy the same commercial bullets it would cost a mint.

You do have some control over the price of ammo.

FWIW, I chew up .223 ammo made exactly for my Colts for 14.5 cents per round.....FMJ

Prince Yamato
July 14, 2008, 05:13 AM
---never mind---

XDKingslayer
July 14, 2008, 11:50 AM
Sure it's going up at Walmart, but it's still cheaper than just about everywhere else.

The 250 rnd boxes at my local Wally World were $82, Bass-Pro is charging $89 and is 45 minutes away.

The funny part was they were selling 100 round boxes of WWB in .45 for $29.00. The 50 count box of the same was $28?

Rugerlvr
July 14, 2008, 01:19 PM
I generally don't shop at Walmart. But they have suckered me in lately with the ammo. I've bought 400 rds of WWB .45ACP recently. Their prices on .357mag are not so good. (The other caliber I shoot.)

jlangton
July 16, 2008, 07:48 PM
Not to poke a hole in an otherwise decent arguement... quite a bit of WWB is loaded by Sellier & Bellot in the Czech Republic and by IMI in Israel.

I recently noticed on a box of WWB "USA" ammo with a clear disclaimer reading:
Quote:
"USA" is a brand name and does not denote the country of manufacture of this product.
Fraudulent advertising, if you ask me.
I looked over the entire stock of WWB in every caliber in Gander Mtn today when I was there,and also looked over all of the WWB that Wal-Mart had last night,and every single box had "Made in USA" printed clearly on the box in several places. I'll make sure I look closely if I buy any of it to make sure it's the USA made ammo I'm buying-I usually get CCI Blazer Brass now due to cost.
JL

ufstuddmuffin
July 16, 2008, 09:12 PM
I see a sizable portion of THR flunked freshman econ

and english

Phydeaux642
July 16, 2008, 09:16 PM
A box was 12.50 3 years ago

I bought three thousand rounds at Bass Pro last summer at $12.99/100.:banghead:

trinydex
July 16, 2008, 10:49 PM
It's so true. China is taking over....and we're letting 'em.how do you suggest that happens?

and then in reality it's not so much that "we're letting them" so much as "that's the natural tendency within the system that the world operates."

Obama is a Marxist Socialist in his leanings and that has never been good for gun owners. The Clintons who brought us the AWB were of the same breed. Obama won't be good for America or the price of ammo at wally world.

jj
and this is exactly what i refer to. people want an IMPOSSIBLITY. you don't want other countries or socioeconomically downcast people to do well or even do your bidding and get paid, but YOU DO WANT to pay minimally for any product whether or not it's actually WORTH purchasing or consuming.

let me know how that one works out, cuz you're already seein' it.

You appear to have left out your /sarcasm tag.

And your spell check. so we shouldn't invest in the future of energy and lead the world into the next largest market ever in history... let's not do that and continue to suffer from shortsighted fail.

Halo
July 17, 2008, 12:00 AM
Look, the cause of this problem is very simple, although no one wants to admit it. The root problem is overpopulation. Too many people, not enough resources.

Bingo. We have more and more people clamoring for fewer and fewer resources. Technology will be able to mitigate it to a certain extent, but not completely and not always in a timely enough fashion. You're right that no one wants to really consider the role overpopulation plays in social and environmental problems, no doubt because of the repugnant ideologies that have historically been associated with ideas of "population control". However, if the global population continues growing at such a rampant pace it will make future wars and/or calamities a near certainty.

CBS220
July 17, 2008, 12:14 AM
so we shouldn't invest in the future of energy and lead the world into the next largest market ever in history... let's not do that and continue to suffer from shortsighted fail.

Don't believe I said that for a moment.

But your pollyticks smack of a young person who has been a little too influenced by the interwebs and a lack of realism.

Redtail
July 17, 2008, 02:01 AM
Prices aren't going up it's just that our money is worth less.

mr.72
July 17, 2008, 09:48 AM
There's a lot of people out there who can't afford to buy anything but the "cheap foreign goods".
The real cost of those goods isn't "cheap", you will pay at the pumps for what you didn't pay at the store

Uhh.. well you can't choose not to pay that price at the pump. This is a meaningless argument. The simple fact remains that the price of labor is lower in some countries than it is in the USA, and if people truly make judgments about what to buy with price as an important consideration, then they are naturally going to choose to buy goods made in countries with low labor costs.

And BTW, this is not Anti-American to do this. If Americans want to compete, they should seek to find a way to compete. Eventually labor costs will equalize all over the world either because the USA's labor costs are excessive (as in the case, say, of automobiles, or minimum-wage jobs), or other countries' labor costs increase due to rising standard of living. This cost differential is a transitory event in a per-geographic basis, but occurs repeatedly as new geographic areas become industrialized.

Many successful American companies have found a way to keep American workers employed at a high pay scale without overpaying for labor. This is known as "outsourcing". Let's face it. It's a good thing for American companies to use Indonesia and China for low-wage manufacturing labor and keep American workers on staff for high-wage jobs like engineering and management. The only people who complain about this practice are either those who completely misunderstand it, or those who happen to be overpaid low-wage workers and know full well they will lose their job rather than acquiring higher-value skills.

Zoogster
July 17, 2008, 01:12 PM
Let's face it. It's a good thing for American companies to use Indonesia and China for low-wage manufacturing labor and keep American workers on staff for high-wage jobs like engineering and management.
When you look at it just like that it can seem simple in the short term.

However we are responsible for much of the world's rapid modernization through exactly that process.
The companies creating the factories and infrastructure in those places to accomodate that is why many of those nations are now using or have used that infrastructure to rapidly modernize and understand how to do it.
Once they do that they become major consumers of resources they never were.
Demand for those resources goes up, supply remains relatively stable, or even goes down, and the result is everything costs more for us. The American dollar is worth less (actualy the foriegn currency is just worth more so it translates to less purchasing power in trade.) The quality of life for the average America goes down.
Your value as a nation is based on how much better you are economicly than other nations, and that gap is quickly closing. That outsourcing is one of the primary reasons, though it is too late to put the cork back in the bottle most places.

The faster other parts of the world modernize the faster the the quality of life in America goes down.

We have been the primary consumer with parts of Europe since industrialization started in the 17th and 18th centuries. That means the foriegn demand was limited in most of the world for numerous products.
We were also the only ones that really needed most natural resources.
That is changing very rapidly now.
The problem is the modernizing nations are emulating western life, but there is not really enough resources for the entire world to live that lifestyle.

Plus many corporations and businesses are international now, so they have no specific loyalty to America or its economy. In the past they were based in America, production was in America, and the target consumer was Americans, and they were the primary consumer in the world.
And businesses got thier foriegn natural resources cheap from third world nations that had very little use for it themselves (limited demand.)

Now the production is elsewhere, the consumer is not limited to Americans and is all over the world and expanding, and they are much less tied to the American economy.
The foriegn natural resources are also no longer cheap because there is much greater demand for them.
America also has many taxes, restrictions, insurance requirements, wage requirements, people that bring fraud charges at the slightest upset etc and many businesses are as a result far less attached to America, it is no longer the ideal place to actualy conduct most of your business. It is just a consumer market now, not a good business home.

So there is changes going on that will make the factors governing the American quality of life change rapidly over the coming decades and it will be steadily down for our quality of life. It also means our voice in what values and rights are most important in the world will diminish over time. Not only abroad, but even in our own nation as growing foriegn powers gain a larger voice.
It will very likely effect things like small arms. Very few up and coming powers like mere peasant citizens to possess arms.
You will have to work more hours to purchase the same amount, and foriegn influences on various rights and privelidges will become greater.

The balances put in place in our nation value individuals over absolute effeciency. You won't see those values as present in the future world. How many other nations actualy encourage 'small arms proliferation' in thier borders in the hands of the people? That is an individual rights thing, a balance against those seeking power and efficiency at the expense of liberty and freedom...
Pressures will likely increase to restrict such things, expand who is prohibited, etc
If some American citizens have a problem with it, well the military, security contractors, and UN peacekeepers will be ready to help the American government deal with any situation that arises. To squash those 'terrorists'.

Seenterman
July 17, 2008, 02:01 PM
Not the fact that under the Bush administration we've entered two wars half way across the world, one of which is arguably unnecessary. And want to guess the amount of money spent fighting these two wars? 12.3 BILLION A MONTH.

Source: http://theiraqinsider.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-much-does-iraq-war-cost-per-month.html

But yes lets blame the democrats because when they want to reduce this astrological hemmorage of money they get accused of trying to hinder the troops by cutting the purse strings, not caring about the troops, so much so Democrats rather watch them die just so George Bush can lose the war. And dont tell me you havn't heard crap like that spewed before (not saying you belive it but right wingers such as Bill O Riely has said things along those lines).

Do you really think a country can basically throw money away at a rate or 147.6 BILLION a year and NOT suffer economically or do people think that we just have that laying around somewhere? (Not saying the wars are a total waste of money but realistically where not receiving any compensation for our troops lives, time, efforts, and money. No cheaper oil; nothing is being imported from Iraq or Afganistan to help defray the costs)

Its basically coming out of EVERYONES pockets through taxes, the surplus (our former tax dollars) we used to have now its the worst deficit in history, foreign lenders (who also charge the US gov interest) we have to pay back. This country is in trouble weather we want to admit it or not.

XDKingslayer
July 17, 2008, 02:11 PM
This country is in trouble weather we want to admit it or not.

This country deserves it. We elected that idiot again.

Fool me once kinda thing...

XD Fan
July 17, 2008, 02:17 PM
For whatever it is worth, WWB has not gone up yet in Southwest MO.

LiquidTension
July 17, 2008, 02:46 PM
I saw 9mm at 19.98/100 yesterday. Thankfully the BB .40 is still 12.47/50, otherwise my buddy might not have been able to shoot! .22 is still the same price that it's been for a while as well.

I finally got my reloading setup up and running again last week. Got about 900 .40, 900 9mm, 1k .223 projectiles sitting there waiting.

9mm:
$78/k bullets
$27/k primers
free brass
powder ~$14/1k rounds
=========
$119/1000 rounds vs. WWB $200/1k

That's a pretty substantial savings. If I had the money to buy more components right now I would. I'd also stock up on .22 at Walmart. Unfortunately I have to send off a tax stamp hehe.

10 Ring Tao
July 17, 2008, 04:45 PM
I gave up on walmart a long time ago. Especially when they stopped selling guns, and now, they don't even carry scope rings.

Old School
July 18, 2008, 04:35 PM
WWB 45acp = $29.88 at the wally world today

RPCVYemen
July 18, 2008, 06:38 PM
WWB 45acp = $29.88 at the wally world today

Reload and ignore ammo prices. I reload the real 45 (LC), and it's quite a bit less than $29.88.

Mike

XD-40 Shooter
July 18, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm reloading high quality 40 S&W ammo for just over $6/box. I haven't bought factory ammo in years.:neener:

jlangton
July 18, 2008, 08:25 PM
I'm reloading high quality 40 S&W ammo for just over $6/box. I haven't bought factory ammo in years.
Is that with new brass,or with fired brass that you already have?
JL

XD-40 Shooter
July 18, 2008, 09:28 PM
That's with once fired brass from my factory ammo, which I shot several years ago, plus I've been buying once fired brass at gun show's, average about $8/500 peices. Factor all that in, I'm still at about $7/box. Either way, it beats the hell out of factory ammo.

I used to shoot Fiocchi 40 S&W ammo, great stuff, but once it crossed the $200/case threshold, that was it for me. I started reloading and have never looked back.

If you enjoyed reading about "WWB at Walmart up again....Is there an end?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!