Shooting music

PDA

Kalashnikov
July 12, 2008, 07:36 PM
Does anyone else enjoy some tunes while they shoot? One range is kind enough to play music over their loudspeaker the day. Usually it's country or soft rock, but if it's a slow day and just me and my friends. I can convince them to play some Rage Against the Machine.

Anyone else listen to music while they shoot? What kind?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting music" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hk91-762mm
July 12, 2008, 07:54 PM
Rage against the machine --Whats that??
NO-I never listen to music at the range and rarely in the car.[Ask about the young girl who pulled out in front of me at deaths intersection with her sterio blasting and windows up. ]
Why- Back ground noise covers up sounds I want to hear -we all wear ear protection at the range -and I want to be able to hear that squib load going off and I want to be able to hear a warning shout from someone else.
My buddie and I have a lawn service -we mow and trim graveyards Buddie has those head phones with radio If I need to get his attention I have to throw something at him :cuss:
Better to have no extra noise at the range where your trying to concentrate on range safety and shooting skill.
Besides Im too old to get a good sight picture when Im head banging to rage against the machine----I keep hitting my forehead against the scope !:)

CBS220
July 12, 2008, 08:29 PM
I want to be able to hear what's going on at the range. Aside from the booms, that is.

If there were some drastic need to stop shooting, I would like to be able to notice as quickly as possible.

kingpin008
July 12, 2008, 08:31 PM
I have to agree - I'll listen to music in my car, and pretty much anywhere else, but at the range I'd prefer to be able to pay attention to the sounds of the gunfire and the commands from the RSO.

How are you able to listen to it anyway, with proper hearing protection on?

armoredman
July 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
I agree with the others, unneccesary distraction, unless you are mentally replaying your favorite movie with you as the hero, and the target stunt doubling for the bad guys. In that case, get a good video game. otherwise, seriously, bad idea. If someone came to the range and started blasting music, I'd leave. Happened once at the free range we have here, a car load of young individuals who left the car doors open to blast mariachi music at club sound levels, while unlimbering thier AK clones. I left.

Vicious-Peanut
July 12, 2008, 09:38 PM
I'm with kingpin. I listen music in my truck, at home, anywhere, but I would not want it at the range. When I have my ear muffs on all I can here is the thump thump of bass anyways.

Joey_the_Wolf
July 12, 2008, 09:55 PM
To me, the gunfire is the sweetest music, lol.

KiltedClaymore
July 12, 2008, 10:33 PM
i started a thread like this awhile back. one poster said it best "when the fecal matter hits the occilating ceiling-mounted turbine, it aint gonna be dead quiet. there is going to be lots of very loud and distracting noise. music while shooting trains you for this."

CBS220
July 12, 2008, 10:47 PM
That's not a very smart tact to take. When you are at a range, the music isn't preparing you for SHTF.

The music may be distracting you from important safety commands and instructions.

I'm referring mainly to people who use MP3 players while shooting, not so much those who use a loudspeaker system, unless the loudspeakers are REALLY loud.

bakert
July 12, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'm another No Music or Horse Play while shooting type. I don't want any distractions. I do listen to both classical and bluegrass music while visiting THR though.:)

Bwana John
July 12, 2008, 11:00 PM
I find attacking with bagpipes, Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries , and "Guns and Roses" as loud as possible scares the crap out of the enemy.:what:

Might as well train as you intend to fight.;)

KiltedClaymore
July 12, 2008, 11:03 PM
attacking with bagpipes

RUN!!!!!!!!!!! WILLIAM WALLACE IS COMING!!!!!!!!

neviander
July 12, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hoo, listening to Rage while shooting, that would at LEAST conjur images of Al Queda members on your target. DESTROYYY!! Rage tends to rile me up.

MaterDei
July 12, 2008, 11:11 PM
L v Beethoven and JS Bach are always in season. I also listen to Gregorian Chant when shooting, usually something from the liturgical season that is underway at the time. Generally I like the Easter and Advent seasons the best; the introit 'Ad te levavi' being a particular favorite.

YMMV

KiltedClaymore
July 12, 2008, 11:13 PM
angy music+shooting= stress ball that doesnt make your hand tired.

oneshooter
July 12, 2008, 11:39 PM
1812 Overture anyone? :D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

neviander
July 12, 2008, 11:41 PM
1812 Overture anyone?
lol

Stevie-Ray
July 12, 2008, 11:48 PM
I'm another No Music or Horse Play while shooting type. I don't want any distractions. I do listen to both classical and bluegrass music while visiting THR though.Haven't you guys ever seen Iron Eagle?:D J/K Actually I'm of the no music while at the range crowd, as well.

benEzra
July 12, 2008, 11:53 PM
I sometimes listen to music to focus before a match. Sometimes it's U2's "Elevation," sometimes Vangelis or Emilie Simon or Evanescence, depending on my mood. Most recently it was "Eye of the Tiger," a favorite from waayy back.

I have no problem with people using mp3 players at the range. If a range provided music over loudspeakers, though, I'd leave, because the sound quality invariably sucks and it would probably be something I didn't like, per Murphy's law, played too loud..

I don't shop at gas stations with those annoying loudspeakers in the pumps, either.

esmith
July 13, 2008, 12:05 AM
No i don't listen to music while i shoot. But i do imagine making a symphony of gunfire. You know, have different guns shooting off at different times. You have your mosins, which are your low big booms. Your ARs, which are higher pitched. Your SKS, standard booms. And on and on.

Lostfantum
July 13, 2008, 12:13 AM
The only things I want to hear at a range is the range commands and gunfire. Music would be a distraction.

Mongrel
July 13, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'd be curious if this were an 'age' thing. And I mean that in the most objective way...

We've all heard, seen, and figured out on our own that having one's mind filled with all sorts of chatter...er...entertainment is pretty much the norm today especially amongst our younger brethren.

I don't care for it myself, in fact I rarely play music on the road. And it has nothing to do with whether I like music or not (one of my 'other' hobbies is playing drums in a band or two), I just get tired of having my head assaulted with noise all day long.

Believe it or not, I find the intermittent quiet of the range relaxing-hahah.

I know from talking with several '20' something vets from our latest conflict, they get seriously pumped on heavy metal and the like as much as possible. Not sure if that includes firefights or contact with the enemy but I'm sure they would if they could.

Maybe I'm just too nervous by nature to relax?

Anyway, the point is moot where I go because there is a range officer and it wouldn't fly if you couldn't hear his commands.

Nate C.
July 13, 2008, 04:52 AM
Hard to achieve 'zen' with music playing...

Peace and quiet helps me focus, relax and decompress. Visual or auditory distractions impede that.

Yosemite**Sam
July 13, 2008, 05:20 AM
I like tunes like Guns & Roses "Welcome to the jungle" just before I run a combat course of fire. Kinda gets me pumped up.

TonyB
July 13, 2008, 08:20 AM
does hearing the SWAT theme song in my head count?
Did any of you guys have "theme songs"when you would play as a kid?Mine was SWAT(from the old show)...I still catch myself humming it sometimes(I know....dork);)

TexasSkyhawk
July 13, 2008, 09:53 AM
there is going to be lots of very loud and distracting noise. music while shooting trains you for this."

Sorry, but whoever told you that has been reading too many comic books or playing too many arcade games . . .

Jeff

32winspl
July 13, 2008, 09:58 AM
For me, it Guns 'n Earplugs at the range. I played in several bands many years ago, and was into music in a serious way, but about 1990 or so, "current" music started p-ing me off. Been an AM talk-redio kinda guy since then.

warwagon
July 13, 2008, 10:18 AM
When going through SWAT basic many moons ago, one of the instructors played that through the speakers in the underground range to start the day(we really didn't see the humor in it at that time, tough course), incidentally, that's where I got the nick name I use here.

32winspl, talk radio is just another sign of aging, believe me:), now if they had the Liddy show on at the range, maybe:D

Camjr
July 13, 2008, 10:35 AM
Last year, I tried running the iPod earbuds up under my hearing protection while at the range, but came to the realization it probably wasn't the best idea for safety sake.

benEzra
July 13, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hard to achieve 'zen' with music playing...

Peace and quiet helps me focus, relax and decompress. Visual or auditory distractions impede that.
Exactly. I like music before shooting, but not while shooting, for precisely that reason.

Mr White
July 13, 2008, 12:43 PM
My favorite song to listen to while I shoot is "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats :evil:

jaholder1971
July 13, 2008, 12:51 PM
Shooting to Rage against the machine????

These clowns are hardcore leftists and borderline Marxists who support terrorist groups!

shevrock
July 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
I don't listen to music "on the range". mostly because i shoot in my backyard, and i don't have an mp3 player. I've get a really serious gun, so i just plink around. I do however want to record gunshot sounds, and put them together in a semi-combat like symphony.

Leif Runenritzer
July 13, 2008, 02:53 PM
If one can listen to music while driving, why not while shooting?

sig2022shooter
July 13, 2008, 03:24 PM
I've found pretty much any AC/DC goes great with the sound of gunfire.

neviander
July 13, 2008, 04:28 PM

These clowns are hardcore leftists and borderline Marxists who support terrorist groups!
Yeah, it's a shame, isn't it. They have an awesome sound. It figures though, most really good artists are whacked out of their gourd in one way or another.

bobbarker
July 13, 2008, 04:43 PM
I don't often listen to mUsic while shooting, I tend to sing in my head in between shots when I'm shooting for score, as it calms me down, takes my mind off the shot. When I DO listen to music at the range, it's only when I'm in the pits. Now, back home, shooting in my backyard, that's a different story.

Restorer
July 14, 2008, 12:10 AM
Are you nuts?

Music is powerful stuff. I lecture on the effects of music on the body and mind several times a month at substance abuse facilities. A fast song has as much punch as a cup of coffee, and occupies a huge chunk of your memory while you're listening. And no, you don't have to be actively concentrating on the music...the effect is visceral.

I love music, any genre as long as it's performed well. I've been a musician most of my life and have been in the music business. I've also been a shooter most of my life. I don't listen to music while I shoot. I need all of my brain paying attention around things that go boom. Knowing how much of your brain is occupied by music, are you sure you want to be entertained while you shoot?

Fleetwood_Captain
July 14, 2008, 12:16 AM
How about "Happiness is a Warm Gun" by The Beatles?

Or possibly something by .38 Special, or Guns n' Roses, or Velvet Revolver...

Oh hey, I know.

How about "Bikini Girls With Machine Guns" by The Cramps?

The list just goes on...

KiltedClaymore
July 14, 2008, 12:25 AM
My favorite song to listen to while I shoot is "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats

thats sick...bad BAD joke. but i give you props for listening to the "Rats"

PotatoJudge
July 14, 2008, 12:50 AM
I listen to Sony Fonotopias, a closed system earbud with really comfortable silicone that is almost like wearing plugs and fits really well under muffs. They sound great to me, though I'm no audiophile. With those under Howard Leight L3s I hear a slight pop and feel the recoil, but that's about it. I have a couple of shooting playlists, one slower and the other a bit more energetic. I shoot on private property and usually alone, so I don't have to worry about anyone else. If there's good music going I tend to be more patient and wait for the good shots instead of rushing them.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX51LP-Fontopia-Headphones/dp/B000095SB6/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216007258&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/1010924-HOWARD-LEIGHT-LEIGHTNING-EARMUFF/dp/B00141S128/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1216007287&sr=8-1

WayneConrad
July 14, 2008, 01:02 AM
No. Not everything needs a soundtrack. Truth be told, very few things in life need a soundtrack. Movies, mostly. And most modern movies only need as overbearing a soundtrack as they have because the MTV generation is addicted to the constant racket and falls asleep without it.

Diamondback6
July 14, 2008, 01:07 AM
Nothing during, but for several days before I'll put my "arsekicking mix" on auto-loop and continuous run. It includes:

*Soundtracks from war and action movies
*"Heavier" classical
*Basically, lots of metal and bass

In this role, bass is good, as there's a link between heavy-bass and aggression that might help you in a "combat" match. (Will Smith's a clueless idiot on most things, but Black Suits Comin' from the MIB II score seems to work very well as part of my "pump up" mix.)

Of course, then ya gotta have some mellowing "cooldown" music too...

Jwebb
July 14, 2008, 07:41 AM
I would say I would rather hear whats going on at the gun range safety first is always the key, yet if it wasnt then i would have to say system of a down- chop suey!

jaholder1971
July 28, 2008, 03:38 AM
When I shoot, KFTI's "Radio Ranch" 1070 AM out of Wichita is usually on in the truck. That station plays all classic Country, Western and Cowboy music all day and evening.

Western Swing in the Morning, Johnny Western from 10-3 and plenty of cowboy music on the weekends in afternoon.

moojpg2
July 28, 2008, 03:53 AM
i shoot at a private range, if i have the line to myself i might leave my windows down and blast whatever i have in the cd player, lately it's been disturbed or shinedown, but i'll promptly turn it off if someone else shows up

jaholder1971
July 28, 2008, 12:55 PM
Disturbed is pretty appropriate. Wasn't "Sickness" part of the soundtrack to a Zombie movie?:D

FourNineFoxtrot
July 28, 2008, 01:42 PM
I don't listen to music while shooting, but I wouldn't object to it, either, as long as range commands, etc., could still be heard. I mostly shoot on BLM land, not ranges. Like I said, I don't play music, but I could.

Music may take up a significant portion of your attention, as Restorer said, but I would think that's actually a point in favor of music-as-training aid. Not just external distraction, but the internal distraction. Operating a firearm and learning to either quell the internal monologue+external noise or have good, safe technique despite it, and maintaining accurate fire even with a bit of adrenaline amping you up from a song.

I imagine that if I had to use a gun in a life and death situation, there's a good chance that kind of a lot of stuff will be running through my mind: "What's going on?", "Where's he at?", "Can I shoot?", "Cover?", "Did I leave the oven on?", "I could really go for a scotch and a smoke", "Firefly was a great show." Who the hell knows.

My mind, and I suspect all minds, work in strange ways. In stressful (not really life or death) situations I've been in before, sometimes my mind wanders down some strange corridors. One that sticks in my mind was when an old man threatened me for trespassing on his land (I was 12 or so). Part of me was listening to him threaten to shoot me (gun wasn't with him). Part of me noticed that he was shaking, trembling kind of. Rage? Parkinson's? Just old? Did he live there alone? Did he have family? That's just the kind of odd turn my mind can take, even as another part of it was trying like hell to get me out of the situation.

I guess a lot of it depends on the person. If you're the kind of person who drowns out distractions with music, it can make you focus better. If you're the kind of person who focuses on the music, or for whom music+thoughts+physical activity clashes badly, maybe it's not such a great idea.

Restorer
July 28, 2008, 03:45 PM
FourNineFoxtrot;
Music is indeed a great tool to aid learning, but it is situational. State dependent learning is a description of a condition in which physical or mental activity is tied to neurotransmitter and other body chemical levels. Music stimulates most of the body's pleasure receptors simultaneously at some level or other. It also dumps adrenaline and endorphins into the blood.

When that nervous system activity is present again it provides easier access to the memories associated with the prior event. In other words if you do all of your shooting training while listening to "Saturday Night Special" it is easier to recall earlier training and muscle memory while listening.

I see your point about training while you have elevated adrenaline levels. It may well make it easy to handle a stressful situation but I think the chemical levels involved are way different. In music your pleasure centers are being stimulated. In life or death situations your fight-or-flight syndrome kicks in. Way different.

The brain has enormous processing ability so I'm sure it can multi-task music and shooting. I guess it's a matter of preference and common sense. If I'm shooting in a lane next to a guy juicing on his iPod, I have to take extra care to see that he's paying attention to me and other shooters.

Sorry for the rambling post.

XDKingslayer
July 28, 2008, 04:02 PM
I watched a guy at the range with an Ipod headset under his muffs. It didn't take too long before the range officer told him to take it off or leave the range.

He was either not hearing, or was to absorbed in the music to hear "Cold Range" being called.

High Planes Drifter
July 28, 2008, 04:03 PM
I dont think the range I go to allows the use of headphone's. I would think it would affect your ability to hear the RSO call hot/cold. ?

If I could, I'd bring Hall & Oats, Fleetwood Mac, J.Geils, etc. What can I say, Im into cheesy 80's rock. :D

FourNineFoxtrot
July 28, 2008, 04:06 PM
I think I can understand your point, Restorer. There is a danger in distraction, which shooters (especially inexperienced or younger shooters) probably could do without. And the associative nature of shooting w/ music can probably hinder by its absence as much as help by its presence; i.e., you get used to doing things somewhat rhythmically when doing them to music. I've even caught myself walking in time to it. So the motions might not be as smooth when it isn't there, or at least the benefit could be lost.

In music your pleasure centers are being stimulated. In life or death situations your fight-or-flight syndrome kicks in. Way different.

That's a really good point. Although... some forms of rap have been known to kick in my "fight-or-flight" responses. That stuff can grate on my ears, sometimes.

This thread makes me wonder... what exactly is the psychological effect of going into a fight accompanied by music? Be it bagpipes or metal, I'm sure the effect is powerful, but it would be interesting to know just what it does.

Texpatriate
July 28, 2008, 04:14 PM
Flight of the Valkyries :evil:

"Do you smell that? It's napalm, son. Nothing else on the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Hot brass
July 28, 2008, 04:17 PM
Not with ear protection on.

chaim
July 28, 2008, 04:32 PM
I love music, I have it on most of the time in my life. However, I'd never listen while at the range. If you look at the brain research it is surprising how much brain activity music, TV, or anything in the background occupies. You can't study efficiently with it (even though most of my students think they can), you won't fully concentrate with it, I won't shoot with it. I do admit that I drive with music whenever I'm not listening to talk radio or books on tape, I probably shouldn't. However, I won't do it with shooting.

That said, if I would, I'd have to second Flight of the Valkyries as good shooting music, and add "Invincible" by Ok Go.

SJ1
July 28, 2008, 04:39 PM
No, never would. I like my peace and quiet. Shooting is a form of meditation and regeneration for me. I love it when I have one of the shooting rooms at the range to myself. I like to be with what I'm doing.

Restorer
July 28, 2008, 08:05 PM
The use of music to heighten aggression in battle would make an interesting study. Bagpipe music is a unifying factor...everybody is ready to fight if it'll shut the piper up. Rap would probably heighten my aggression...to make it stop. There was a school of thought that held that violent lyrics and aggressive, energetic music were cathartic...that has been debunked. Newer studies find that they actually provoke aggression...surprise, surprise.

Joseph Goebbels told Hitler that if he (Goebbels) was given control of what the people listened to, he would give Hitler control of the people. Wagner comes to mind.

Powerful stuff. Most of us have a soundtrack going in our heads at least part of the day. Just shoot your rhythm...bang, bang...bangity-bangity-bang.

texas_rebel_1980
July 28, 2008, 08:07 PM
the voices in my head sing to me while i shoot..............................:evil:

KiltedClaymore
July 28, 2008, 08:11 PM
everybody is ready to fight if it'll shut the piper up

some of us actually LIKE bagpipe music! heck, im learning to play it!

CountGlockula
July 28, 2008, 08:14 PM
My shooting music is the "bang" coming out of my guns.

Restorer
July 28, 2008, 09:03 PM
Just kidding about the bagpipes, Kilt. I actually have a CD of bagpipe music. A guy I used to work with had a practice chanter that he would play during breaks and he almost drove me insane. In spite of that I like the pipes. Must be in my blood. (Scots-Irish)

SuperNaut
July 28, 2008, 09:16 PM

And a mighty fine rock band to boot. I really hope you don't limit your listening to only groups who align with your politics. Besides, Killing In The Name Of appeals to the anti-authoritarian in me and Wagner is trite, fascist, and heavy-handed

KiltedClaymore
July 28, 2008, 09:19 PM
and whats wrong with marx?

crackhead
July 28, 2008, 09:28 PM
I mostly listen to Cannibal Corpse and Slayer while shooting.

Funderb
July 28, 2008, 09:39 PM
simple, psyops. it works!

GeezerwithGuns
July 28, 2008, 11:55 PM
Jimi Hendrix ................. Machine Gun :cool:

SuperNaut
July 29, 2008, 12:31 AM
Jimi Hendrix ................. Machine Gun

Chukka-chukka-chuk!

What a great song.

Eleven Mike
July 29, 2008, 12:41 AM
Music at the range - bad idea. It's fine if you want to do it when you've got the range to yourself, or it's just your group.

But between the ear protection and the gun fire, it's hard enough to hear others' voices at the range. I hope none of the ranges I use decide to do that.

jaholder1971
July 29, 2008, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaholder1971

And a mighty fine rock band to boot. I really hope you don't limit your listening to only groups who align with your politics. Besides, Killing In The Name Of appeals to the anti-authoritarian in me and Wagner is trite, fascist, and heavy-handed

No, I don't support Marxists or those who support terror in other countries.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
July 29, 2008, 01:15 AM
Never when shooting, but when cleaning and reloading I frequently listen to the hard stuff before and after time behind the rifle (BLS, Zombie, and even a little Rage).

The only time I listen when concentrating is when I'm working out.

hso
July 29, 2008, 02:31 AM
Difficult to do wearing plugs and muffs.

SuperNaut
July 29, 2008, 10:19 AM
No, I don't support Marxists or those who support terror in other countries.

There is no political forum on THR.

July 29, 2008, 12:09 PM
Once or twice a year I will get with another Member of this forum and camp up at a far away shooting pit on top of a mountain in NW Washington. It is not uncommon for us to have a radio or CD player continuously playing in the background. We have done this for years so I imagine we already know the habits and moves the other shooter is making/going to make. However..... There is something to be said about playing .22 golf at 75 yrds., with Nugent's "Great White Buffalo" playing in the background.
I have been around nearly 40 years and I have never been to a formal range that would consider music on personal electronics or over a speaker sytem ok.

CBS220
July 29, 2008, 12:21 PM
There is no political forum on THR.

I'm sure your junior moderator badge is coming any day now.

.cheese.
July 29, 2008, 12:24 PM

Hey... wait.... can we apply for that? I like badges. :D

I don't listen to music while shooting, but if I listen to music before shooting it's usually classical music or something because I like to get nice and calm before I shoot. It seems to help my concentration.

SuperNaut
July 29, 2008, 12:41 PM

There was no way to answer the post within THR guidelines. But your little poke is noted.

KiltedClaymore
July 29, 2008, 01:52 PM
well, THR has never had a rule of "dont poke the bear"

just look at some of what happens when the Tourist gets involved and you'll see what i mean. no offence tourist.

John Fugate
July 29, 2008, 03:36 PM
What Do yall Think about it, ??

John Fugate
July 29, 2008, 03:41 PM
I like to kick up some Marshall Tucker and get out my Colt SAA's and blaze some lead up and down the steets of Durango and get my informal John Wayne Southern Rock tribute on "confederate style". Cook up some Porkchops and get my diamonds and denim on and pretend to be Waylon Jennings at the Ok Corral. Thats how we do it in Dixie,,,,

Then late at night we go out back and fire up some Kid Rock and talk about the old days when we used to drive around town in our jacked-up GTO's and our 396 Chevelle Big Blocks just doing our own thing being who we wanted to be and being free.

Sometimes we kick up Steve Earle and just listen to words,, and relate in our beloved southern atmosphere, where Luke the Drifter and Ronnie Van Vant rain as Judge and Jury in the courtroom of life. Because sometimes there aint no laywers and systems to save you. Aint that right counselor.

Johnny Jerry Jeff Walker "Pearl in a Can" Fugate

Jesco White for President :evil: Yea Haw,,,,,,,,,:neener:

Lets hear about your guns, music and muscle cars. Lets Hear about the good old days soldiers,,,,,,, Gimme three steps boys.

Post up Regulators

cmannie
July 29, 2008, 08:37 PM
Gimme one of them Smith and Wesson Magnum forty fours...
I like to blast My Performance Center 629's...Take em right out of the box...start shootin the hottest of handloads...32 grains of of H110 over a nice hard cast 180 grainer...(She ain't new no more!)
Then...I AM the third Revelation...:evil:
Music...
As for being a man who wants no music when shootin or doing ANYTHING ELSE in Life for that matter...I have 4 simple word for that:
I AIN'T THE ONE.

:cool:

John Fugate
July 29, 2008, 09:54 PM
I am here in my mind,,,,,,,,Hey man them aint high heel sneakers, and they sure dont look like cowboy boots,,,,

As Peter Frampton once said,, Do you feel like I do ?

Lets hear what you like to Rock to, when your capping off your Smith and Westerns and Colts,,,,, blazing your N frames with custom stags singing to yourself feeling famous and invinsable. You ever convince yourself your a real cowboy and you become as one with the Duke ? Try some Marty Robbins in that Ipod, with a big iron on your hip and see where it takes you. Top it Off with a little Kid Rock,, I'm a cowboy,,, That makes for a good day burning powder. Save Molly Hatchett for the dark ride alone and remember no matter where you may roam Bob Wills will always remain the king.

Johnny 4 3/4 Case Color Fugate

Colt First Generation 1902 45 LC All original 90% CC 80% Blue
Vintage Leather Holster
Tony Lamas 10.5 D
Sony Ipod 8 gig full of music mostley Skynyrd
Winchester 97 bayonet lug, 18.5 with notches in the stock
Winchester 1894 38-55 with brass tacks and a big loop
2008 Corvette Zo6 Red in and Out, Bose
Cooler in the back and a cold one in my lap
Stetson 500X Beaver,, 7.5 Black and Clean

time on my hands ,,,,,, and trails to blaze. :evil:

cmannie
July 29, 2008, 11:31 PM
I think Hank Jr,(Bocephus to those unfortunate enough to be un-Arkansas-educated) said it best...
There ain't no man gonna invade My territory
There ain't nobody out there gonna mess with Me
'Cause I'm big and hard and battle scarred and gettin long in the tooth
Desperate and hungry,and got nothin' to lose
Yeah,I'm a Lone Wolf,
I've been chased and I've been bit
Yeah,I'm a Lone Wolf,
They like to shoot at Me,but they MISS,
Yeah I'm a Lone Wolf,
And I NO LONGER run with the "pack".....
And GOD HELP THE PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY GOT ME CORNERED AND LAUGH.
Oh,and Let's not forget...
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE

doc2rn
July 29, 2008, 11:49 PM
Me and the fellas play Drowning Pool on the way to the range.

John Fugate
July 30, 2008, 12:04 AM
Doc,
Drowning pool,, thats killer. Want to really trip out, get your System of a Down on or some Tool. Fugate

scrat
July 30, 2008, 12:42 AM
my son does. he will where those little earplug things attached to his ipod. on top of that he will where the big mickey mouse ear protection covers.

John Fugate
July 30, 2008, 05:47 PM
quote by crackhead
"I mostly listen to Cannibal Corpse and Slayer while shooting".

What type of weapon do you like and do you like Ministry or Early Sabbath ? :fire:

Cliff47
July 30, 2008, 05:56 PM
I find that a bit of Wagner, either the "Ride of the Valkyries" or the overture to "Flying Dutchman" on the way to the range (got a bit of distance for me), and maybe some talk radio on the way home works just fine. At the range, it's all business.

gregormeister
July 30, 2008, 06:40 PM
In Iraq we would play AC/DC and Mettallica on the loud speakers and if I pleaded w/ the S.Sgt we'd listen to Slayer...We hardly saw anyone during Slayer songs......oorahhh

John Fugate
July 30, 2008, 07:15 PM
Slayers Rocks,, Play it Loud and Proud soldier. I don't know much about those overtures and that Mozart Stuff and nothin about those flying dutchman,, but I do know a little bout' a whole lotta Rosie ;). Shes a whole lotta women. Stack up those Marshalls real tall and lets hear some Angus.
John

KiltedClaymore
July 30, 2008, 07:21 PM
slayer's ok, but i still say for shooting Rammstein is tops. or maybe some Subhumans before i shoot trap and skeet. the speed of the music seems to help my brain comprihend fast moving objects a little better. or maybe im just, for lack of a better word, superstitious.

John Fugate
July 31, 2008, 01:07 AM
When I get out the Auto MAg, its a pre hour of Sepultura and W.A.S.P the I gently break it down with some Testament. Then its fire and blazes and wasting some powder and lead,,,, and then we go back to the dark room until the next parade of glory :banghead:. and there I sit and think about all the money I just wasted on tin cans and paper targets.
John

Working Man
July 31, 2008, 01:19 AM
1812 Overture anyone?

Nice....

How about "O Fortuna".... realy gets the blood going. :evil:

especially at "Sors salutis"

John Fugate
July 31, 2008, 01:31 AM
I will have to check that out, sounds heavy duty. Your quote is so true, same box they go.
John

John Fugate
August 4, 2008, 11:20 PM
I tried that stuff,, I had to turn it loose. It was just not my cup of tea. :uhoh: But if you like it,, turn it up. John

Dan Forrester
August 5, 2008, 12:45 AM
Another +1 for Slayer (Reign In Blood). I always thought Nile was good shooting music (machine gun shooting that is). Or maybe Morbid Angelís ďGateways to AnnihilationĒ album. I usually like my metal a little more varied these days. My consistently favorite band for probably the last 8 years or so would have to be Opeth.

Anyway I occasionally listen to my ipod when I shoot. I have a nice silencer collection however, do at least with the pistols donít need hearing protection. However this is only if Iím by myself which is rare. And since Iím usually on private property with no one around hot or cold and range officers donít mean a thing to me.

Dan

Defensory
August 5, 2008, 05:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbP-0dRnclA

BORN TO BE WILD

From the 1968 release "Steppenwolf"
Words and music by Mars Bonfire

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

http://www.steppenwolf.com/lyr/brntbwld.html

John Fugate
August 5, 2008, 10:18 AM
How about Snoop or Dre ? Dont forget about our boys from Compton.
:D

Funderb
August 5, 2008, 11:19 AM
I mean, that comes up from time to time on the ipod, I'm not too ashamed to admit I'm a little gangster. or "gangstah"

John Fugate
August 6, 2008, 02:05 PM
Ice Tee,, ? anyone

XD Fan
August 6, 2008, 02:10 PM
Sometimes I think about how nice it would be to have some great music playing while I shoot, but it seems less than prudent.

John Fugate
August 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
:o Just today I was getting my Mule Skinner Blues on by the father of Bluegrass Mr Bill Monroe himself while capping off a few rounds from Pre War 1911. What Miraculous day its been. I think I will top off the evening with some Jerry Reed and Kid Rock while plinking with my 5 screw K22 behind the outhouse. Probably some BullGod mixed in Amos Moses. Then it will be time to milk and lay down my weary head.
John

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting music" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!