rate of twist on a HR huntsman 58

PDA

joyadecarolina
August 27, 2003, 08:30 PM
i have a huntsman in 58 cal. its 25 years old and has never been shot. i am going to use it this seson and was wondering if i should get conicals, roundballs or pinballs (just kidding). the thing looks like a sewer pipe w/ a handle.
thanks,
paul

If you enjoyed reading about "rate of twist on a HR huntsman 58" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JSR
August 28, 2003, 03:37 AM
I'm just guessing that they used a fast twist as they do now(1 in 28). I'd try the conicals.
Jeff

joyadecarolina
August 28, 2003, 05:13 PM
i found some 525 grain conicals. any idea what the max charge is?

SunBear
August 29, 2003, 04:17 PM
Here's the site you need.....Just click on it and scroll down to the H&R collectors page http://www.marlinfirearms.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

JSR
August 29, 2003, 04:35 PM
If nobody there can tell you, call H&R and ask what the MAX charge for that rifle is. I beleive the rule of thumb is(somebody stop me if I'm wrong) to match the starting weight by volume to the rifle caliber ie 58 cal start with 60 grs and work up not exceeding the max,whatever that should be. I wish centerfire was that easy.
Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "rate of twist on a HR huntsman 58" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!