Opinions on H&K's

PDA

Avalanche2082
July 12, 2008, 11:57 PM
I am looking to purchase an H&K handgun and was wondering which ones you guys like and why? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on H&K's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Princi
July 13, 2008, 12:25 AM
My favorite of the three that I own is the Expert, but it is in 45ACP. My Elite is in 9mm and seems to think there is a bullseye in the middle of my forehead. The P30 is neat because not just the backstrap is replaceable, but the sides as well.

My brother loves the P7, but I think it is the novelty factor, but perhaps it was because he shot it after shooting 2 rounds of 357 Magnum through my S&W Scandium J-frame. (He then handed the S&W to his son-in-law to shoot; and here I thought he liked his son-in-law). I just never shot the P7 well because of the squeeze not feeling right for the squeeze-cocker. What I do like is that after loading a new magazine, squeezing the cocker releases the slide.

The Expert has one of the finest DA triggers that I've ever shot in SA mode. I shoot the pistol as well as I do my best 1911's.

Sir Aardvark
July 13, 2008, 12:30 AM
I think that they are neat and reliable, but even more overpriced than the SIG's.

rcellis
July 13, 2008, 12:36 AM
I'm a compact fan - love my P2000SK in 40 S&W.

I've owned two HKs (the P2000SK and a USP) - both exhibited a very high level of build quality, and functioned accurately and reliably... Now, my P2000SK has failed to feed a few rounds of cheap ammo (the crimp wasn't accurate). Even so, I regularly put Winchester White Box target ammo through it with no problems. And I mean NO problems.

TIMC
July 13, 2008, 12:51 AM
I have 5 handguns in .45acp and by far my favorite is the USP. The USP feels good in my hand and has shown to be more accurate than the 1911's I have.

Jason_G
July 13, 2008, 01:00 AM
I have a USP45 and love it, but I would also love to have a P7M8 and an HK45.

Jason

30-06 lover
July 13, 2008, 01:22 AM
I have a USP 45.

Pros:
Extremely reliable

Extremely accurate

Well made

Great trigger

Cons:

Very little aftermarket (holsters are even hard to find)

Bulky gun. I have larger hands, but after a day at the range I am a little worn out.

My best advise is to try and find a range that will let you rent one and see if you like it. If you do, it's an HK, you won't be disappointed with it's reliability and accuracy.

MyTFAL
July 13, 2008, 01:33 AM
I LOVE my USP .40:)

valor1
July 13, 2008, 01:36 AM
Probably one of the best made and engineered guns in existence. Just the guns needed for the modern times. May be a bit pricier but total reliability has its price.

Boats
July 13, 2008, 01:37 AM
I had an HK USP 45c.

Avoid it as you would a STD. Bulky, sucktastic trigger, and overpriced. The charm wore off the first time at the range and left in its place a definite gnawing sensation of "what in the hell was I thinking?"

The P2000 seems to be the answer to that question, but I'm not buying.

gbelleh
July 13, 2008, 02:14 AM
My USP .45 Compact is my home defense and winter carry gun and has been 100% reliable (as have all my HKs). The P7 is one of my all time favorite pistol designs. HKs are rugged, extremely reliable and IMO worth the price.

thegoodfight
July 13, 2008, 02:57 AM
They are a basically a more expensive, less reliable, not as durable version of a GLOCK. But HKs are probably the second most reliable handgun I've ever shot.

That's my experience.

XavierBreath
July 13, 2008, 03:22 AM
I don't really consider them to be like a Glock at all, except for the polymer frame.

I'm familiar with the USP and the P7. I've found them to be accurate, durable, and reliable.

Which HK are you considering? There are quite a few, and they are not the same.

Princi
July 13, 2008, 08:07 AM
I was at Bass Pro Shops shooting one day and there were two large "African-Americans" (I'm so PC) shooting in the next two lanes. They were both shooting H&K's chambered in 40S&W.

I was scared looking at their targets. Who the heck are these guys? I'm ashamed to admit that the thought that they might drug dealers came to mind. I'd never seen anyone shoot as accurately as these two guys were shooting. They were also extremely polite and friendly.

When I left, I asked the range officer if he had noticed how good they were shooting. He said: they better be good - they are air marshals.

So, I figured if H&K were good enough for them, I had to have one. The next week I was shooting my own.

boomstik45
July 13, 2008, 08:16 AM
Gosh, I'd hate to be mistaken for a drug dealer. Does that happen to all large african-americans who can shoot decently?

Wait, I didn't say that right. I meant BLACK american, because my butt has never been to africa, wasn't born there, and isn't trying to go there either. Too many things that will come after you with spear and loin cloth, AK and machete....and everything else tries to eat you. No thanks.

Ok, back on topic. I guess I should shed a few of these 300 pounds and wear my badge on my belt. Oh, did I mention I'm law enforcement? Yeah, unfortunately some of us ARE drug dealers....and some of us can't shoot worth a crap.....:D:D

boomstik45
July 13, 2008, 08:20 AM
Forgot to add: the USP series is great. The Experts have better triggers. The new HK45 feels great....but it has a longer grip and lower capacity (try explaining that one, you crazy Germans).

And I'd rank them AHEAD of Glocks in the durability department. HK doesn't take a 9mm and then try to cram a .40 and .357 into it. Not only that, but they make their guns to fire + p ammo. Does glock? Don't think so. Better chamber support, too. Nothing wrong with glock, but not on the same level as HK. Except for one thing: the magazine springs. That would be HK's one serious downfall. I don't know how they missed that one.

Scratchshooter40
July 13, 2008, 09:34 AM
I'd vote for the H&K USP40, largely because I own and shoot one. Great recoil management, accuracy, and function. Dead reliable. Worth the money any time.

usp9
July 13, 2008, 09:36 AM
I am looking to purchase an H&K handgun and was wondering which ones you guys like and why? Thanks

I'm a HK fan primarily because the guns they produce work better, at a higher reliability rate than others. Call it price or value, but I think you get your moneys worth. The innovation HK brings is noteworthy too.

I have a P7, one of the great guns of the modern era. My CCW is a P2000sk, which I consider one of the best compact pistols made. It has no flaws. My USP Elite is by far my most accurate pistol. I didn't realize I could still shoot pretty well until I bought this gun (post aging eyes, bifocals and all that). My USPc is my range gun. Go ahead, shoot the hell out of it... it can take it. A rock solid pistol if ever there was one. On my short list of wants are the P30 and HK45. Some day soon.

And the final note, yes, I've called HK customer service. They responded, I paid, they sent my parts. Took three or four days total. I'm happy.

No pics in this whole thread...hmmmm,
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/hkfamilya.jpg

wingman
July 13, 2008, 09:47 AM
I think they are "the best" if your an operator but if your a collector-shooter
they simply don't have the personality (can't think of a better word) of
a 1911, Browning Hi Power,etc .

Onmilo
July 13, 2008, 09:49 AM
If H&K pistols are less reliable and less durable than Glock pistols, then how come H&K .40 caliber pistols don't blow up anywhere nears as often as Glock .40 caliber pistols?
They both have the polygonal rifling that coupled with lead bullet reloads, too deep bullet seating, and double charges of powder, cause the Glock pistols to discomboobulate,,,,,,

I shoot a bunch of Glocks and One H&K.
The H&K is way more accurate than any of the Glocks.
Is it because it is a target version of the USP or because it is in .45 acp and My Glocks are all 9mm?
Who Knows.

Hmmmm, two big black guys shooting .40 caliber H&K pistols,,,,somehow I can't picture drug dealer,,I picture LEOs checking out some new pistols.
Pic for USP9
http://www.fototime.com/5D4F7C7DFAE1E7D/standard.jpg

PX15
July 13, 2008, 10:07 AM
JMOFartO:

I'm new to the HK pistol owners family, but I've had over 50 years of firearms ownership in which to make an opinion on the HK P7 pistol, and that opinion is that it is the HK P7 is inherently most accurate pistol I've ever owned or shot.

I also have a 9mm Walther PPS and while the PPS is lighter than the HK P7 I "prefer" to cc the P7.

It seems the only folks who appreciate the HK P7 series of "squeezecockers" are those who have actually shot one..

Just personal opinion/YMMV

Best Wishes,

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8838-1.jpg

hags
July 13, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'm partial to the USP 9mm.

However......

I have a USP 45.

Pros:
Extremely reliable

Extremely accurate

Well made

Great trigger

Which part of the trigger did you like? The overly long pull or all the mush?

Probably one of the best made and engineered guns in existence. Just the guns needed for the modern times. May be a bit pricier but total reliability has its price.

Yes, total reliability has it's price, it's called "Glock", and for about $300 less.

And I'd rank them AHEAD of Glocks in the durability department. HK doesn't take a 9mm and then try to cram a .40 and .357 into it. Not only that, but they make their guns to fire + p ammo. Does glock? Don't think so.

Are you sure about your facts, you can in fact fire +P ammo from a Glock.

I also dislike the barrel O-ring on some models and the dual recoil spring, more things to go wrong and replace, if you can.

The USP was built for/around the .40 S&W, the USP40 s that I've shot have some of the worst muzzle flip and recovery from shot to shot that I've experienced. The triggers, at least on the USPs are horrible, long, mushy and "where's the break point" bad.

Water-Man
July 13, 2008, 10:47 AM
Over-rated & over-priced.

jetrecbn
July 13, 2008, 11:24 AM
I would be comfortable with outfitting an Army with the HK USP line. I have full faith in them. The only reason I don't own a USP is because the grip does not fit me. I use a G19 as my primary and the grip fits me fine. Could never get use to the USPs feel. The G19 is the only Glock I like. The HK line is superior. Even more superior than Sig Sauer (1st love). Just my opinion.

My favorite pistol is the HK P7. Got a B grade right after I recieved my custom 1911. The custom 1911 takes a back seat to the P7. I need more magazines. Anyone know where I can get some PSP magazines? Bueller?

hags
July 13, 2008, 11:28 AM
The HK line is superior. Even more superior than Sig Sauer (1st love). Just my opinion.

How is HK superior to Glock? The Entire line?

basicblur
July 13, 2008, 11:47 AM
Got a USPC40 and itís one of my favorites, as well as the softest shooting 40 S&W Iíve got.
No complaints, although a picatinny rail instead of the proprietary one would be nice.

One thing I really like is I got it in Variant 1, which if you carry one in the pipe allows about the safest carry possible (de-cocked, safety on). I also like the size/location/function of the safety-darn near identical to a 1911-easy to knock off with your thumb.

Unfortunately, it may be the only HK Iíll own since HKs seem to have such large grips (the USPC is one of the few that fits my hand).

Caipirinha
July 13, 2008, 11:52 AM
I have a USPc. It's a nice gun but it is overpriced. I can't say I really care for the company either.

Onmilo
July 13, 2008, 12:43 PM
H&K pistols do have large grips, not a problem if, like me, you have large hands.
Get an Expert or Elite and try one out, you won't think all H&K have mushy triggers.
Since I normally carry the gun condition one, cocked and locked, I don't see the mushy trigger issue.
I don't like ANY double action only trigger action on ANY semi-auto handgun, they all suck.

H&K is overpriced, I agree, there are other handguns out there that will do the job for less money.
My biggest complaint is the cost of spare magazines for H&K pistols.
Fifty bucks a magazine is ridiculous in my opinion.

Still, if you are going to buy an H&K, an Expert, Elite, or Tactical Model would be and was my choice.
.45acp would be the caliber I would choose also, there are many, many 9mm pistols that are just as good and less expensive.
I feel the .45 acp USP is the gun to beat.

PhillyGlocker
July 13, 2008, 01:36 PM
I think HK's are nice, but for the price, I'll pass. I believe Glock has more to offer at a lesser price. Parts are everywhere, easier to maintain, probably more reliable, and just as accurate. Why not buy a Glock 19? You won't regret it.

mr.trooper
July 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
You SUCK, and they HATE you.

thatguy123
July 13, 2008, 02:25 PM
I have a Sig 226 and a USP9f and they are both great, but I trust my Sig more. I've run them both pretty dirty and the HK has had a couple FTE whereas I can't make the Sig hiccup. I thought the Sig would give me more trouble due to tighter tollerances, but it has not (don't believe everything you hear on the net) That said, I trust my life with both guns, and I think the FTE was a growing pain/break-in period anomaly, still, in a zombie attack I'd probably grab my AK first. :D

Storm
July 13, 2008, 02:40 PM
My experience owning and shooting HK pistols is with the HK4, VP70Z, P9S, PSP, USP full .40, USP Compact .40 (sold that one, I didn't like the grip feel), P2000, P2000SK and HK45. I also shoot Walther, Steyr, Glock, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Glock, FN, Ruger, Taurus, Magnum Research, Benelli, and a number of other brands. I count HK's as the overall finest regular production guns made. The price is high but the quality and reliability mitigates that factor. I refuse to judge a gun based on price. Whether I can afford it has nothing to do with its quality. Value shoppers may well be advised to look elsewhere, but if it's top notch quality in a regular production gun that you want you need look no further.

Joe Demko
July 13, 2008, 03:10 PM
I've had a USP 40 since 1999. In that time it has never malfunctioned once. After 1000's of rounds, it still looks new and prints nice, tight little groups.
The only criticisms I have are relatively trivial. The trigger reset is slightly longer than I prefer and the gun is a tad large for ccw. Even then, the reset is still shorter than that on other guns I've fired and the pistol was designed as a service pistol not a concealable piece.
When amortized over the life of the gun, the higher initial price compared to something like a Glock is trivial. I'm well satisfied with mine.

Princi
July 13, 2008, 03:20 PM
Fifty bucks a magazine is ridiculous in my opinion.
I guess you never bought a magazine for a Sig P210. Including shipping, it cost me $140, and that was 4 years ago. I'd hate to think what Sig gets for one now.

Broomstik45: you are my kind of guy. My limo driver called me a honky last month. I said: " Hey, sucker - you are from Bangledesh not Africa - you can't be calling me a honky. We were both laughing like crazy. He was picking on me because I'm white and my wife isn't.

I also agree with you concerning the H&K's, and like I said: I was ashamed at what I thought.

hags
July 13, 2008, 03:33 PM
My experience owning and shooting HK pistols is with the HK4, VP70Z, P9S, PSP, USP full .40, USP Compact .40 (sold that one, I didn't like the grip feel), P2000, P2000SK and HK45. I also shoot Walther, Steyr, Glock, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Glock, FN, Ruger, Taurus, Magnum Research, Benelli, and a number of other brands. I count HK's as the overall finest regular production guns made. The price is high but the quality and reliability mitigates that factor. I refuse to judge a gun based on price. Whether I can afford it has nothing to do with its quality. Value shoppers may well be advised to look elsewhere, but if it's top notch quality in a regular production gun that you want you need look no further.

Hey Storm, can I use this and change the word HK to Hi Point 995? Over 2300 rounds, no cleaning and many of those +P and +P+, not one FTF or FTE.

I mean you did say I refuse to judge a gun based on price.

but then Value shoppers may well be advised to look elsewhere,

Nah, hey, I'm just picking on ya....:D

But really, The price is high but the quality and reliability mitigates that factor. they're plastic!

Storm
July 13, 2008, 03:50 PM
Nah, hey, I'm just picking on ya....

All part of the fun! :)

they're plastic!

Ahem....polymer. (other than the HK4 and PSP)

Funny thing is that I really like steel and alloy framed guns as well.

Considering that I work extensively with plastics I got over the old fashioned notion of plastic equaling cheapness. To me plastics equals high tech.

hags
July 13, 2008, 06:59 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4448591&postcount=126

jetrecbn
July 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
hags,
IMO. I think that a lot of companies address a myriad of shooters a lot better than Glock. It seems as if other companies address what shooters want. Look, I use a G19 as my defensive side arm, but I don't think that Glock INC has the most versatile line. I like the HK USP modular capabilities, but I don't own one. I like flavors. Glock line to me is just a vanilla shake in different size servings.

hags
July 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hey, I like HKs, the triggers on the USPs could be better and I think they're overpriced.
Unless for some reason you have to have one (ergos., polymer, variants 1-67, or whatever else) I think most people (and their wallets) would be better served by something else.

X-Rap
July 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
The H&K is a well made gun but not worth the extra $ if buying retail. If you plan to have extra high caps it will cost at least twice the price of Glocks per mag. plus less capacity, the rails are proprietory = + $. Parts and service at least in my part of the country and most cataloges lean strongly away from the H&K and more toward Glock. Given all these factors I like the Glocks, Must have bought the USPc at a weak moment.:confused:

Guns and more
July 14, 2008, 12:03 AM
I have the P-30 in 9-mm and it is the most reliable handgun I own. Everything is smooth and just works. Feels great in my hand. That's why it won out over the sig and I wanted to like the sig, but it didn't feel right in my hand. The P-30 felt like it was made for me.

IMTHDUKE
July 14, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'm new to the HK pistol owners family, but I've had over 50 years of firearms ownership in which to make an opinion on the HK P7 pistol, and that opinion is that it is the HK P7 is inherently most accurate pistol I've ever owned or shot.

I second that.

Here are the ones I own....I want an HK P2000SK....would recommend any of the below....HK is a quality weapon.
http://photos.gafana.com/photos/1036252320996557824066.share.jpg
http://photos.gafana.com/photos/1406252790996537230558.share.jpg
http://photos.gafana.com/photos/0466252220996574788417.share.jpg
http://photos.gafana.com/photos/0406252000996532122737.share.jpg

poet
July 14, 2008, 12:27 AM
do you have a preferred caliber that you want the pistol to come in?

bwavec
July 14, 2008, 12:36 AM
I have put a lot of rounds through my HK pistols, and they have served me well in a variety of situations in a bunch of different places. Reliable, durable and accurate out of the box.

Race guns they are not (and lack the ability to effectively be turned into one). Combat handguns they are: reliable, easy to maintain, but with a long stiff trigger (it gets better with use...and the match trigger kit is a great upgrade).

You have find which one feels best in your hands. Find a range that has some for rent and try them out.

SeanMTX
July 14, 2008, 01:04 AM
I'd recommend searching for deals on used HKs, especially on this site.

My only experience comes from a USPc .40 that I own. I bought it 'used', but I honestly couldn't tell it had been fired other than the 1 case that came from the factory.

Used, Variant 1, I got it for $550. At that price, it was cheaper than a G27 (with a few mods...night sights and Lone Wolf barrel) that I got here!

I have never had to deal with their customer service, so I cannot speak to that, but I will say that it feels, shoots and takes down like a tank. Nothing about it seems cheap, rushed or a cut corner. Now I don't shoot Les Baer or Rorbach (or whatever the hell THOSE overpriced things are called), so I might not be qualified to sound off on this. What I can say is that it's about as accurate as my G27 (stock vs trigger job, Meprolight sights, competition barrel etc), cycles like a dream with minimal muzzle flip and eats anything I toss at it. I would trust it with my life...which in all fairness I would the Glock as well..and I think that's the best compliment I can give it.

All that said, the Glock is my primary carry. Only because it's smaller, lighter and has outstanding ergonomics. I'd love to get a Crossbreed Supertuck for the HK to compare side to side...but I haven't done that yet.

Storm
July 14, 2008, 08:49 AM
I'd recommend searching for deals on used HKs,

That is good advice. Although they do hold their value well, deals can be had. Only one of my HK's was bought new as I have not seen any used HK45 yet in my area.

The only time that I buy a new gun is when I can't find one used.

Onmilo
July 14, 2008, 09:45 AM
Princi, I have owned two Sig 210 pistols.
At $140.00 a mag you got hosed, but I did pay something like $80.00 each for four spares, brand new in the packaging, so I guess I did too, but you can still find spares for $80.00 if you look hard enough..

I never should have sold both those 210s, at least I should have kept one.
Most accurate and sweetest shooting 9mm pistols I have ever owned.

boomstik45
July 14, 2008, 09:46 AM
Hags,

Never said the Glock couldn't fire +p rounds. Lord knows I've fired plenty myself. I was just saying that the USP line was designed to shoot the hotter/hottest loads (usually +p), whereas Glock is not, or at least they don't say so. So...that gives HK the durability edge in my mind with certain calibers. Since HK designed the USP .40 around the .40 and not the 9mm: durability edge. Same goes for the .357. I have no problems with Glocks in these calibers. They just weren't designed around them frame and slide-wise. So, enhancements have to be made. That is always less reliably durable than building from the ground up. But....that's just my opinion. I agree that HK triggers leave something to be desired. It's not a problem for me though. And HK's mag springs suck worse. That IS a problem, considering the price of the mags. Glock, HK...go with what works, is preferred, and is affordable. Best case scenario is to get both!:D

Princi,

No sweat. I have a good sense of humor. And while I am black, my wife is not. Only thing is....I don't tend to joke around with those names. I'm glad you and your limo driver can joke around like that, but not everybody can. So I prefer to err on the side of caution. It also helps avoid certain double standards....:uhoh:

skywarp_
July 14, 2008, 10:09 AM
Get a p7 be a connoisseur not a fanboy.

Princi
July 14, 2008, 11:41 AM
Onmilo, yes, I agree - I got hosed on the magazine. I bought directly from Sigarms - should have known better.

Broomstik45: you may have it worse than I do since you live in the deep south. I'm 8 years older than my wife, but she looks 20 years younger than I. A couple of years ago we were in a restaurant in Shanghai. A young Chinese girl, elegantly dressed, came in with a 60'ish white male. They walked by our table, she looked at my wife, smiled, and gave a nod with her head. Good thing I was on blood pressure medicine - I was fit to be tied.

The good news: sales people and waiters remember us.

Onmilo, have you shot or at least looked at the EAA Witness Elite Match? http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-elite-match-description.html

I have the cheapest one of the series, but I'm extremely impressed with it, especially when you consider the cost. It isn't a P210, but it sure is accurate and a great value.

basicblur
July 14, 2008, 03:04 PM
Iím on Botach Tacticalís e-mail list and bought my HK magazines when he had Ďem on sale (donít remember how much they were-around $30?).
I just checked his site and he shows HK USPC 40 S&W for $45 ($10 more than other HK mags).
Managed to pick up a few new SIG mags at Gunbroker.com.

Botachís showing SIG factory 14-round P229 40 S&W/.357 SIG for $49.95, 3/$135, 6/$240. I wasnít aware they made 14-rounders, and SIGís site shows only 12-round for the P229 (SIG shows $42 for 12-round 40/357 SIG mags).
Apparently due to a glitch in his site?, if you select just the SIG Sauer Magazines (Instead of SIG Sauer Max Cap Magazines) and then select the pull-down box for the P229 14-round mags they are $35 instead of $49.95! Donít know if you can get away with that price or not, but I tossed a few in the cart from each to see what showed up and the prices stuck (same mag for $49.95 and $35)?
ĎCourse at those prices theyíre still too damn high!

As others have stated, HK/SIG stuff is overpriced, but being the cheap bastard that I am I managed to buy both of mine when my local gun shop was given a deal by his distributor.

Unless the OP has some compelling need for the features offered by the HK (I liked the Variant 1 option), there are other guns just as dependable (Iím thinking XD!) for much less money unless you can find a deal on Ďem.

Bentonville
July 14, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hks are worth every penny to me. I own several. I have purchased a couple from CDNN and the price was significantly lower than from any gunshop in the State, afaik.
I really like the USP series but the grip is slightly too large for comfort, including the grip on the Compacts. I have the P30 and it's amazingly comfortable. I have the P2000 and I just won't part with it though I thought about selling it at one time. I have the HK45C and it is as smooth a shooting .45 as any I have shot. I would like the P7 PSP or the P7M8 when I can afford them. The PSPs are very reasonable right now if you get a police trade-in from CDNN. Good Luck.

thatguy123
July 14, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hk are worth every penny to me

You know, that's how I feel about the whole "over-priced" thing. Some people yammer on about Sigs and HKs being over-priced, and while they may demand a premium price, it's all about what each individual shooter is willing to pay for what they really want. If an over-priced Sig or HK is what really makes you happy and allows you to shoot and enjoy shooting without comprimises, then I also feel they're worth every penny regardless of what others may say.

At the end of the day; it's about what makes you happy and in the long run, what's a couple hundred more bucks when you're getting what you really want?

usp9
July 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Hk are worth every penny to me.

Amen!

Disaster
July 14, 2008, 10:44 PM
At the end of the day; it's about what makes you happy and in the long run, what's a couple hundred more bucks when you're getting what you really want?

Agreed. If it is someone else's money they can spend it on what they want.

Me, I have a hard time justifying the price of an HK when there are so many other really good guns out there.

Are they worth it? Is a 480hp $120,000 Porsche 911 $50,000 more car than a 480hp Nissan GT-R?

It is really an individual decision.

Skunkabilly
July 17, 2008, 01:42 PM
Gosh I hope they make an HK45 Elite!!

Storm
July 17, 2008, 02:51 PM

Give that man a cigar! The nail has been hit right on the head.

Onmilo
July 17, 2008, 07:07 PM
Gosh I hope they make the HK45 Elite

You may be on to something there.
I am aware the names H&K comes up with for their products can be downright pompous.
I would have preference for The USP Match Target Longslide because that is exactly what my USP Elite is.
Using 185 softball loads the gun wins matches.
The only 1911 that has come close to groupability is a Les Baer and they aren't near as reliable as the H&K.

Buy what you want, it is your money.
Me, I wouldn't own a Hi-Point or some Americanized version of a Croat wunderpistolen,,,,,,

rodinal220
July 17, 2008, 09:02 PM
HK P7.Now is the time to buy a P7(PSP) cause its like 1982 dollars in 2008.Lusted after a P7 for 26 years and now bought two from CDNN, A and B grade.A grade is a "tad" nicer but the B grade is a steal at $600.

Reasons I like the P7:Uber high quality,all steel,exceptionally accurate,unique "squeeze cocker" is very fast and I like the concept.Easy to field strip.Proprietary nature to the user.Very slim and proportioned for the 9mm platform.The Germans put alot of thought into this one.

It comes from the factory with stippled(sand blast) front rear straps,dovetailed front/rear high viz sights,serrated slide top,stippled high quality "plastic" stocks,squared front trigger guard,serrated trigger face,fixed barrel.

EdLaver
July 18, 2008, 12:01 AM
Severely over-priced is all I have to say about HK. Thats why I don't own one, never will. A Sig is much better.

Onmilo
July 18, 2008, 12:18 AM
Severely overpriced is all I have to say about H&K

Another poster has a thread going on his newly aquired Sig 210 9mm.
He paid $2350.00 in Canadian dollars.
I owned two P210 pistols, one cost me about $1600.00US,(P210-2) and the other was around $1800.00US,(P210-6).
How is that for overpriced?
When Sig pistols first came onto the US market they were Waaaaay overpriced compared to other guns available.
I still bit and bought a few.
These P210 pistols are the only Sig pistols that I had really good luck with and I have also owned two P220s, one European and one American magazine release,and a P226.
At the time I bought my Sig pistols, each and every one, they were priced ABOVE what the average market price of a comparable handgun was bringing.

I really should have kept one of those P210 pistols.
These I sold at profit, the other Sig models were sold at a loss.
Value is value no matter the original cost.

Storm
July 18, 2008, 11:03 AM
Value is value no matter the original cost.

How true.

I almost never consider the cost of a gun, at least solely in terms of being a deal-breaker. If I want the gun and can afford it, and have the money, I will buy it. Otherwise, I don't buy it and move on. But, regardless of price, the quality of the gun is what it is. That may seem obvious, but so often we see people attacking a gun merely based on price despite the fact that it's a fine weapon. And I understand that value is an issue, a function of both perceived quality and price, but the initial purchase price is only the ante to play that particular hand. The actual dollar value of the gun may shift numerous times over a lifetime, and just like a car driven off the lot, it drops appreciably the first time we send a round down range. Some guns hold their value well while others do not. Buying new or used affects this as well, not to mention getting a gun as a gift where for the shooter there was no purchase price. Is value still such a concern?

For me the perceived quality, and almost 25 years of experience with HK's, has shown me that these guns are of an extremely high quality. I have accepted the fact that to own them I will have to pay more for an HK than I would for many other guns. There have been times when I have been able to afford them, and other times when I have not. None of the affordability issues has anything to do with the quality of the weapons. I never begrudge someone who can afford them when I cannot. I won't try and diminish the reputation of a gun because I can't afford it as to me that seems to be rationalization smelling of sour grapes. If it's a fine weapon it's a fine weapon, and if not then it isn't, but I will not allow price to stand as the final arbiter.

twofourthree73
July 18, 2008, 01:10 PM
I've owned my USP compact 9mm since '97. It's a well made, quality weapon, simple, reliable, and accurate enough for my purposes.

The only thing I would change on it is the trigger pull.

It's also large for a compact and not the best for concealed carry. I don't carry so it's no big deal.

sinistr
July 18, 2008, 11:38 PM
i don' really have any first hand knowledge of the newer guns. my hk stuff is old ,i try to buy pre'82(rifles and pistols)i have three grade b psp's that got shot more in the first day i had them than they ever were before.when it comes to tupperware,i prefer glocks,one of the main reasons is i can do any mods/repairs myself.as far as price goes,your betting your life on this weapon...whats an extra 100 bux?if your worried about that,your not shooting enough imho.

PO2Hammer
July 19, 2008, 02:51 PM
I've owned five of them over the years in all the basic calibers and the one I stick with is the full size USP .45acp.

The grip doesn't fit me perfectly, but it shoots so well that I had to keep it. It's every bit as accurate at 50 yards as the Tactical model, but without the ugly sights and unneccesary extended barrel.

It feeds everything I stuff in to it including my handloads with jacketed semi wadcutters at softball velocities and hot factory hollowpoints.

The new HK45 looks promising, but my old USP .45 will always be the gold standard.

Dees
July 19, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm left-handed.

HK likes lefties.

I like HK!

PILMAN
July 20, 2008, 04:30 AM
I like my USP .45 fullsize a lot and pictures of mine of course ;)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/PILMAN/USP.jpg

I agree they are a little overpriced by 100-200 dollars. I paid $850 for mine at local gun shop and didn't even come with night sights.

mr.trooper
July 20, 2008, 12:21 PM
Are they worth it? Is a 480hp $120,000 Porsche 911 $50,000 more car than a 480hp Nissan GT-R?

it should be noted that the GT-R has been banned from many road racing circuits for being an "unfair advantage", while the 911 is still allowed to compete :D

La Pistoletta
July 20, 2008, 12:26 PM
Does the USP .40 have a slimmer grip than the 45?

Pilot
July 20, 2008, 12:29 PM
Your first HK should be a P7. All the hype about them is true and not because of any "novelty factor".

meef
July 20, 2008, 12:37 PM
Your first HK should be a P7. All the hype about them is true and not because of any "novelty factor".I could not agree more. Check this out, then talk to CDNN.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=375316

slzy
July 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
i have and carried a p7 for years. now it sits in the safe by my p88c. luv 'em both,but carry a hi cap mak.

jamesp2000
July 20, 2008, 03:35 PM
I have a few handguns and only one HK 40c I bought used for $400 and added the ambi safety. This gun is a tack driver! I can't discribe how good this gun feels when you pull the trigger so smooth the action cycles you can just feel the quality. http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/jamesp2000/HK2s.jpg

gtmtnbiker98
July 20, 2008, 04:15 PM
Over priced, just give me a Sig.

bodyarmorguy
July 20, 2008, 05:10 PM
I have 3 P7's, a Mark 23, and a USP45C.....sold a USP9F and a USP9C some time back when I was needing a few extra $'s....would love to have them back and plan on replacing at least the USP9C soon.

They are well made and fun to shoot.

PILMAN
July 20, 2008, 06:59 PM
I saw this on another thread on hkpro "justifying" the cost of the HK how it's milled

http://www.fwbairsoft.com/milled/HK-slide-1.jpg

http://www.fwbairsoft.com/milled/hk-barrel-1.jpg

http://www.fwbairsoft.com/milled/hk-slide-2.jpg

http://www.fwbairsoft.com/milled/hk-slide-3.jpg

http://www.fwbairsoft.com/milled/hk-slide-4.jpg

http://www.fwbairsoft.com/milled/hk-slide-5.jpg

That's a USP slide.

tinygnat219
July 20, 2008, 10:16 PM
Way overpriced for what you get.

markk
July 20, 2008, 11:14 PM
I love my USPc .45 and have never had a single problem with it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2558213998_71c336639c.jpg?v=0

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on H&K's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!