Question For People Who CCW Bersa's

PDA

The_Sheriff
July 13, 2008, 03:06 AM
I was wandering how everyone keeps their gun, hammer down, cocked, unchambered ect. Please bersa thunder or like guns only.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question For People Who CCW Bersa's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skidmark
July 13, 2008, 09:52 AM
It's a double action/single action, so no need to carry cocked with the safety on. Carrying without one in the chamber wastes time I might not have. This works for me. YMMV.

stay safe.

skidmark

MedWheeler
July 13, 2008, 11:26 AM
I have one and when my CCF permit comes back, I will carry it chambered, hammer at rest, and safety off. That's how I carried my PPK/S when I was in LE and had a lawman's permit for off-duty carry.

da3394
July 13, 2008, 01:52 PM
I keep mine with one in the pipe, hammer down and "safety" off. It is Double Action on first shot which is like a revolver and I do not have any revolvers with safetys. It is just as safe as a revolver. keep your finger off the trigger until you have identified your target and what is behind the target.

gbelleh
July 13, 2008, 02:02 PM
When I've carried the Bersa it's been with a round chambered, hammer down, safety off. The same for any DA/SA with manual safety.

B yond
July 13, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hammer down, safety on for me. I flip the safety off as part of my draw, with practice it becomes second nature.

If you're going to carry with the safety off, be sure to use the half-cock position. Otherwise a sharp strike to the hammer MAY fire the weapon.

DougW
July 13, 2008, 03:34 PM
8 rounds in the Thunder 380, decocked and safety on. Flip safety when presenting. I have carried Bersa Thunder 380's for over 8 years now. One on my right hip in a Fobus Paddle right now (about to head out the door).

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 13, 2008, 04:53 PM
Never carried the Bersa (yet), but have one and if I did:

Carry: Unlocked (no safety on). Hammer down/DA first shot.

Home or Office: Safety engaged. Hammer down/DA first shot. I figure I'd have more warning at home.

gizamo
July 13, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hammer down / Safety off....

Been about a year of doing so, no issues. And if I had to draw, all I want to think about is the trigger pull on the first shot. If that fails to connect, were back to a SA gun...

Giz

bestseller92
July 13, 2008, 05:26 PM
I carry chamber loaded, safety on.

B yond
July 14, 2008, 12:42 AM
Let me just say this one more time, just in case someone missed it:

If you're going to carry with the safety off, be sure to use the half-cock position. Otherwise a sharp strike to the hammer MAY fire the weapon.

Half-cock doesn't affect the first shot at all. (Insert John Bobbit joke here)
Just a safety measure with no downside.

However you decide to carry, always carry the same way and practice, practice, practice. Not a good idea to keep the safety off sometimes and on others, you will get confused under stress and forget which condition your weapon is in.

Kindrox
July 14, 2008, 12:49 AM
Loaded, hammer down, safety off.

MICHAEL T
July 14, 2008, 01:47 AM
Chamber loaded Hammer down Decocker /safety off. Thats way ment to be carried They are drop safe also. If your clumsey .

http://bersatalk.com 3100 members and growing come for a vist and stay for the fun.

Disaster
July 14, 2008, 04:26 AM
One in pipe. Decocked. You can't carry it cocked and locked. It only has a combined decocker/safety.

benEzra
July 14, 2008, 12:02 PM
I assume you are speaking of the Bersa .380's and not the 9mm.

Bersa .380's are based on the Walther design and are NOT DROP-SAFE WITH THE SAFETY OFF, unless they have added a passive firing pin block since the early 1990's. My Bersa's manual explicitly spelled this out, and indicated that if the gun were carried with a round in the chamber, it must be carried with the safety on.

A Bersa Model 383 was my primary CCW pistol for years. I carried it chamber load, hammer down, safety on. The safety wasn't hard to flick off during the draw. And yes, I did have it fall on the hammer once; safety was on, so it didn't go off, as designed.

I now carry a S&W 3913LS, which is drop-safe with the safety off so I carry it that way. But I would not carry a PPK-style .380 (including the Bersa) with the safety off.

hoosier8
July 15, 2008, 12:59 AM
This if for my 380CC so I cannot speak about the others. One in the chamber, safety on. I have had mine drop out of my IWB holster onto the floor, luckily not around anyone. The safety blocks the hammer from touching the firing pin so the safety provides the function it is designed for. Don't ignore that fact!

MICHAEL T
July 15, 2008, 01:45 AM
unless they have added a passive firing pin block
Has been added on the Thunder a while back.

MisterJimmy
August 8, 2008, 12:19 AM
If you're going to carry with the safety off, be sure to use the half-cock position.
B yond, do you mind elaborating for this relative novice? Do you mean a literal half-cock of the hammer? How does this enhance safety?
Thanks

DWARREN123
August 8, 2008, 01:15 AM
When I had one it was one in the chamber and decocked in a IWB holster.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question For People Who CCW Bersa's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!