22 diamondback

PDA

russ45
July 13, 2008, 10:34 AM
I just started shooting this 22 diamondback, and am experiencing light primer strikes on 1 or 2 out of 6 cartridges in double action, using 5 different brands of high velocity ammunition. Cartridges usually fire on the second strike. Single action is just fine. My semiauto shoots the same cartridges without any failures. The revolver is new, and I can't see anything wrong. Action is smooth, and I don't think heavier springs are available for this model. I am thinking there may be cartridges available with softer primers. Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "22 diamondback" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
July 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
1. Thoroughly clean the gun. Gummy old grease, grit, dirt, etc can hamper the action.

2. If that doesn't do it, someone may have monkeyed with the hammer spring in a Home-brewed action job and it may need replacing.

22-rimfire
July 13, 2008, 11:30 AM
I would give it a very good cleaning. If you are not comfortable with doing it, take it to a gunsmith. The gunsmith may also have some thoughts on the light hits on the primers. Be careful choosing who works on the gun beyond cleaning it. The gun is worth fixing.

russ45
July 13, 2008, 11:39 AM
I know the history of this gun, and it is the original action. I already tried the thorough cleaning. I suppose the spring could be removed and bent out some more in an attempt to make the hammer strike heavier. I have a 38 Agent carry gun that probably has had an action job, and it won't fire anything reliably in double action except with a Federal primer, so I thought maybe softer primered 22 cartridges may be available, maybe is target loads or something. I have fired less than 100 rounds in this. Maybe a few hundred more will help. Thanks for the reply.

dispatch
July 13, 2008, 03:03 PM
Trade it for a S&W Model 18.

SaxonPig
July 13, 2008, 03:11 PM
Well, if cleaning didn't help then it's ruined.

Give ya $50 for it... You said it fires 5 out of 6 times and that's good enough for me.

9mmepiphany
July 13, 2008, 07:58 PM
5 out of 6 is good enough for me too...i'll give you $100

dfariswheel
July 13, 2008, 08:19 PM
On revolvers, especially the older Colt type action, when the revolver fires 100% in single action, but mis-fires in double action, the "usual" is an altered or weak mainspring.

The "best" fix is to have a new factory spring installed.
Note: All the later Colt "D" frame revolvers used the same mainspring. A spring from a Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, or Diamondback will work.
Factory part number is 56090,
You can buy new "D" frame springs here:

Jack First.
Probably the best place to check first, but you have to actually CALL:
http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

http://www.parts4guns.com/
Click on COLT, and WAIT, it's slow.

http://armattweb.com/colt/

Standing Wolf
July 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
Give ya $50 for it... You said it fires 5 out of 6 times and that's good enough for me.

Must be a Colt revolver: we're in a bidding war already.

harmonic
July 13, 2008, 10:19 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Ok. Ok. I'll go $200.

SaxonPig
July 14, 2008, 10:40 AM
I'm out...

Pilot
July 14, 2008, 10:45 AM
On revolvers, especially the older Colt type action, when the revolver fires 100% in single action, but mis-fires in double action, the "usual" is an altered or weak mainspring.

X2. I had a Python that did this. Found out the previous owner had the mainspring lightened. I put a new mainspring in and the problem was solved.

russ45
July 14, 2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks dfariswheel and pilot. I will try the new spring. That must be the problem because there the firing pin goes all the way in, it just doesn't seem to have enough force. Some Colt parts are getting hard to find, and I thank you for the links.

Shade00
July 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
I'll trade ya a real, working Diamondback .38 for that Diamondback .22. Beat that. :p

If you are planning on changing the mainspring yourself, I would highly suggest you order a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Vol. I. In fact, I doubt you would even be able to do it without the manual.

9mmepiphany
July 14, 2008, 06:17 PM
In fact, I doubt you would even be able to do it without the manual.

why?...does it require more than a pair of needlenosed pliers

Shade00
July 14, 2008, 08:15 PM
I would be hesitant to do ANYTHING inside a classic Colt without the shop manual at my side. Not to say some can't or won't, but to suggest otherwise for an inexperienced individual, even for a relatively minor operation, is folly in my opinion.

9mmepiphany
July 14, 2008, 10:10 PM
i'm being slightly tongue in cheek. i actually recommend taking any old colt to have it checked by an experienced Colt Pistolsmith

JNewell
July 14, 2008, 10:12 PM
You can do anything with a Dremel! =8-0

The thing about Colts like this is, if you foul it up or even scratch the sideplate, you've got a $250-350 scratch. Break something inside and there are very few smiths left who can competently fix it. So, yes, it's worth buying Kuhnhausen, imho.

Shade00
July 14, 2008, 10:28 PM
Sorry 9mmepiphany, just misread. You're right, the best option is to take it to a gunsmith, but it may be quite costly to find one that can do proper work. That said, if you are going to do smaller repairs (not a lot of what qualifies a smaller on these old guns) then JNewell is correct, things can turn bad AND costly quickly.

Standing Wolf
July 14, 2008, 10:41 PM

The bigger the hammer, the faster you'll get the gun apart.

Brian Dale
July 16, 2008, 01:27 AM

{...almost four hours...}

i'm being slightly tongue in cheek. i actually recommend taking any old colt to have it checked by an experienced Colt PistolsmithI'm guessing that three...no, four heart attacks occurred during that time, in scattered locations anywhere from the Kenai to Miami. :D

dizzydetective
August 12, 2008, 03:58 AM
FWIW, I have
4 inch blue 22LR x2
6 inch blue 22LR x2
6 inch nickle 22LR (haven't shot this one)
2.5 inch blue 38 Spec
4 inch blue 38 Spec

All 4 of the 22LR blues were NIB from a retailer when I picked them up many years ago. Haven't fired them in a while, but at least one of the 6 inchers FTF'ed one cartridge per loading, and I seem to remember a 4 inch doing it as well. Always fired the second time around. No aftermarket or dirty issues here, just the nature of the gun. I'm not carrying 22LR for SD, so don't really care as it doesn't affect my enjoyment of it.
No problems with the 38's, however.

CajunBass
August 12, 2008, 08:08 AM
People actually SHOOT Colt revolvers? :eek: :what:

Who knew? :confused:

russ45
September 23, 2008, 01:04 PM
I purchased a Bullseye spring kit that included a new mainspring and a bolt spring. I installed the mainspring and it fixed the problem, but trigger pull was still a little hard. I then installed the bolt spring and what a difference. Trigger is now smooth as silk. Gun is repaired. And yes, I own several Colts and shoot them all, except for one rare Python. Rich gun collectors drive up the prices on Colts, but they were made to shoot.

22-rimfire
September 23, 2008, 02:27 PM
Russ, really glad to hear your problem is fixed.

I wouldn't even know if I had a problem on most of my Diamondbacks as I have never shot them. :)

bflobill_69
September 23, 2008, 06:06 PM
Quote:"Rich gun collectors drive up the prices on Colts, but they were made to shoot."

Amen Brother,

Bflobill_69

If you enjoyed reading about "22 diamondback" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!