How long it takes for the police to arrive after you dial 911

PDA

gtmerkley
July 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
They tell us that a gun is not necessary for self defense that we should dial 911. What I would like to know is how meany of you have had to call 911 for the police and how long did it take for them to get there. I called two times the first time it took 45 minutes the second time 22 minutes. They came as soon as they could but they were swamped could most people hold out that long?

If you enjoyed reading about "How long it takes for the police to arrive after you dial 911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nj.piney
July 13, 2008, 01:59 PM
when i lived in the pine barrens in n.j. it took 45 min. for state police to arrive. local police closed shop at midnight. im in tn. now and response time should be about 20 min or three mags whichever comes first.

Guy B. Meredith
July 13, 2008, 02:45 PM
Are we counting the redial after the busy signal and the hold time or just from the time a conversation with the operator begins?

Rustynuts
July 13, 2008, 04:18 PM
Just in time for the pics and body bag. You have to chose whose it will be, yours or the BG's!

As proven in a D.C. case, even if the LEO get the 911 in time, they have NO DUTY to protect any individual citizen. I'm sure most will actually help if they arrive in time and see something, but in the D.C. case they left without fully investigating and the woman was murdered.

RickH
July 13, 2008, 04:22 PM
About two minutes. You can walk to the police station in 5 minutes though.

CWL
July 13, 2008, 04:58 PM
The central police station is about 1 mile from my home. They'd probably respond pretty quickly.

I would dial "911" right after I grab my gun.

rainbowbob
July 13, 2008, 05:42 PM
...could most people hold out that long?

Maybe...if they were properly armed.

RNB65
July 13, 2008, 05:46 PM
I've called 911 a few times to report incidents in the neighborhood. Response time has usually been 3-5 minutes.

Unisaw
July 13, 2008, 05:49 PM
In the patrol district in which I live, the average response time to a top priority call is supposedly about 4-1/2 minutes (according to the Sheriff's Office website).

whitebb
July 13, 2008, 06:02 PM
I love it when you dial, and then the city dispatcher transfers to the county dispatcher and then both dispatchers start arguing over whose territory it is. I gave them S*** and hung up.(Situation was a single vehicle accident while raining. Fortunately the driver was fine w/o injury) At least the county police came to the accident. I am happy I live in the unincorporated area as the police come from farther away but are faster than the city.

armoredman
July 13, 2008, 06:14 PM

balin
July 13, 2008, 06:22 PM
If I remember correctly, I saw a statement from the US DOJ that the average violent crime lasted about 20 seconds and the average police responce time was 7 minutes. It didn't take me long to do the math on that one.

Zoogster
July 13, 2008, 06:55 PM
If I remember correctly, I saw a statement from the US DOJ that the average violent crime lasted about 20 seconds and the average police responce time was 7 minutes.

That sounds about right.

Most violent crime is very fast. A robbery where the perp either tries to grab something like cash, valuable items, a purse etc Or they demand such things be given to them, take them and run.
Some of those times involve a stabbing or a shooting, but still take close to the same amount of time from start to finish.

Placing a 911 call requires you to be in a safe position for 10-20 seconds to make the call, get through and report the incident. Grabbing a firearm or unholstering one takes anywhere from a split second to a couple seconds.

Once the 911 call is made it requires a good 3 minutes minimum in places near a station and 15-20 minutes in some rural locations (even 45min-1 hour in some.)

In the wilderness or remote locations a signal can not even exist, and police may not actualy figure out or be able to reach where the call came from if it does get through for hours or days.

5-10 minutes would be a good average. Several minutes after most crimes are over, and they can try to pick up a trail and bring them to justice, after the fact.

Of course that requires the person to make the call to begin with. If someone only has a few seconds, that much time would be better spent actualy stopping the crime by retrieving a firearm than insuring someone arrives soon to get a victim/witness statement if you are still alive.
Obviously doing both is even better if you have time for both.

Retrieve firearm, then call 911 if there is still time.
You are responsible for you. You have nobody else you can rely on to protect you or family besides yourself. Police protect society not individuals.
If you are unable to protect yourself or family you have nobody else to blame except yourself, or those who imposed laws that prevented you from doing so.

Another thing to consider, even once they arrive they are not going to break into your home or location prior to assessing the situation and having backup. Nor would we want them to break into our homes and possibly kill us thinking they are defendin the good guy.
So the response time is not the same as the amount of time before they will actualy assist you if you are being victimized.

Psywarrior13
July 13, 2008, 06:59 PM
In any case.... too long

AK103K
July 13, 2008, 07:26 PM
Whats 911? :)

We dont have it, nor do we have cell service at our house. We also dont have "street" address's, main reason we dont have 911.

State Police response time varies. Last I saw 10-15 minutes was a good estimate. Depends on where they are in or out of the county when the call comes in.

The JPFO has it right...."Dial 911 and die".

They dont have to come at all, and you have no recourse against them if they dont. They have given themselves immunity.

Rustynuts
July 13, 2008, 07:33 PM
Just add a one and dial "1911" first!

Vern Humphrey
July 13, 2008, 08:42 PM
When I lived in the Detroit area about 10-12 years ago, a woman dialed 911 several times, the cops never came and she was killed.

The Chief of Police (McKenna, as I recall) was interviewed on the news and asked, "What is the average response time for a 911 call?"

His answer? "I don't know the average response time for a 911 call."

I expected a real cop to show up and arrest him for impersonating a Chief of Police, but no such luck.

chauncey
July 13, 2008, 08:49 PM
I lived for several years in a college town, in a Mid-Atlantic state, where no less than 4 police departments had jurisdiction - State, County, City and University. I called the police on 4 occasions, and on 3 of those occassions I had the perpetrator standing in front of me - and the police were informed of this.

average response time was 35-45 minutes. that's a long time to stand there and look at some thug, especially when I wasn't equipped with a firearm on any of these occasions.

they were always very appreciative and thankful for my help when they got there, but I never had the guts to ask them what the heck took so long.

Tacticaldude
July 13, 2008, 08:58 PM
Where I lived before they put you on "hold":mad:
+1 for Guy B. Meredith

redneckrepairs
July 13, 2008, 09:24 PM
I live in such a small county that we do not have any officer on duty 24/7 we have " on call " status for our officers . So response time can range anywhere from 2 or 3 minutes to 30 or 45 minutes depending on if anyone is actually dressed and out in a vehicle as well as where in the county i call from . For a lot of the places i work ( just our property ) i believe most likely we will have an officer to the nearest main crossroads ( one of the two east west highways which we run from 2.5 to 20 miles off of ) in inside 20 minutes if they hustle and run hard . Finding a lot of where i exist will take upwards of an hour to an hour and a half at best . But i dont blame the agencys , its a fact of life out here in the sticks .

Double Naught Spy
July 13, 2008, 10:14 PM
Dallas' average police response time for the most critical events such as shootings, stabbings, robberies in progress is 8.5 minutes.http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spe/2004/dallas/crime2.html

Iggy
July 13, 2008, 10:25 PM
45 minutes to the ranch house, if they have a map to find it.

:rolleyes:

MCgunner
July 13, 2008, 10:39 PM
Small town with a big police force. They get here in under 10 minutes. Seen it happen. :D Gun's for defending myself and the wife if he comes through the locked bedroom door. Phone's for defending my stereo in the living room.

ar10
July 13, 2008, 11:04 PM
Depends on the type of call and how much stress you're under. It may only take 5min but depending on you're level urgency it could seem like hours.

LTB15J
July 13, 2008, 11:24 PM
last time it took about 45 seconds. but that was only because the sub station was 2 blocks away

it was a good thing too. the incident stemmed around me and a friend nearly being assaulted by some unruly skinheads

MedWheeler
July 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
Depends on what I call 'em for. I've never had to report a true emergency from the home I'm currently living in, but I have called in domestic disturbances on the same block. Being as I live about an eight-minute walk (if that) from the main police HQ in my city, I have a pretty substantial amount of confidence in a rapid response to any emergency I call in. We have a good department here.
Doesn't mean that I'm not "the first police" on my property, though.

owlhoot
July 14, 2008, 01:03 AM
Ha, we just got 911 service in my county. I don't know how well its working. And I don't care. There is one deputy on duty at night and the county is 50 miles long. I guess it could take up to an hour or longer. But nobody expects a quick response, so that sort of mitigates the need for a quick response.

borntwice
July 14, 2008, 01:16 AM
Cheer up, folks! Big government has your back - "when seconds count, the Police are only minutes away!" ;)

weisse52
July 14, 2008, 01:44 AM
I guess my thought is what does it matter? If LEO quotes that it take 4.5 minutes to respond then I assume they are talking averages. I do not want my life to depend on which end of the average curve I happen to be at that moment.

I respect the police, but they are there to catch someone after the fact. They cannot be everywhere, and when I need them they may be no where to be found.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
July 14, 2008, 02:21 AM
How long? In a real emergency, my answer would have to be, "too long".

Before the cavalry arrives, a man's got to do what he gotta do:D

Zach S
July 14, 2008, 09:04 AM
I'm so far out in the sticks I'd hate to think about it.

Taking a slight drift off topic, I feel I should mention that a coworker cut a couple fingers off one night at work. A couple EMTs/FFs got there pretty quick, 5 to 10 minutes. They put him on oxygen and poured rubbing alcohol on his fingers while we waited 40 minutes for the ambulance.

AirForceShooter
July 14, 2008, 09:11 AM
Answering my call for "shots Fired" it took 15 minutes for the LEO to arrive.
No lights or sirens.

AFS

DMZ
July 14, 2008, 10:30 AM
The dispatcher will probably ask, "Well, how many shots were fired?"

LEO arrival time well be in 1-2 hours if a deputy is on duty. If not, next day.

ZeSpectre
July 14, 2008, 10:36 AM
Bit of irony in my reply. We used to live about a block over from the cop-shop. Response time the one time we had to call them was about 15 minutes (because they were all out on calls on the other side of town).

Now we live further away, but right in the "patrol belt", so the cops and fire/rescue showed up in about 2 minutes for an injured person who fell in front of our house on the 4'th of july.

Still it was a bit distressing to live right in the center of town and still have to describe to the dispatcher exactly how to locate our house.

Deanimator
July 14, 2008, 10:47 AM
Here in Ohio, observed response time has been all over the place.

I called Cleveland once to report a car on I-71(?) with a limb on top of it after a violent storm. They seemed angry that I'd bother them with the call. I don't know if they responded at all.

A friend called the Berea PD several times one night to report a woman screaming in the park. When no cops ever showed up, we drove to the station to find out what the deal was. Turns out the park was in the Cleveland Metroparks Rangers' jurisdiction. Berea PD called them several times. I'd calculate their response time at around fifteen YEARS, since I don't believe they EVER responded. A couple of Berea cops coming off shift volunteered to walk the river bank with us, just to make sure nobody was in trouble.

A couple of years ago, a sleazy looking guy rang all of the doorbells trying to "social engineer" his way into my apartment building. An hysterical (and not just in THAT case) woman in the hall started shrieking at me to call the police. After a couple of minutes of asking her why, I walked down to the lobby and saw the "meth-billy" who rang the bells. I called the Rocky River cops. They were there in between five and ten minutes. Certainly not quick enough to save somebody's life from a violent attack, but I don't consider that a reasonable expectation in the first place. They're as good as any other Cleveland suburb and probably better than most.

I'm from Chicago. We called the Chicago PD ONCE to report vandalism that I observed from my bedroom window. NEVER AGAIN. When they learned that the perpetrators were White, they just packed up and left. You don't want them around anyway. Better just to deal with the criminals on your own. Calling the Chicago PD just brings more criminals to the scene.

ZeSpectre
July 14, 2008, 11:00 AM
They seemed angry that I'd bother them with the call. I don't know if they responded at all.

In my old neighborhood we had a dispatcher who tried to get folks to understand the real nature of a 911 call. She would answer the phone with "XXX dept 911, Dispatcher Smith, is anyone bleeding?" One day she had this long pause and a very serious voice answered "not yet, but he's about to start".

MadMercS55
July 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
I had someone break into my vehicle parked in my driveway a couple years back. The car alarm woke me, grabbed my .45 and keys and went outside. The alarm had a tendency to go off when the weather got very cold, and this was winter time. So, I was a little complacent. It took a second before I realized there was a guy dressed in black standing in the shadows beside my storage shed and my trunk was open with contents strewn about. I ordered the actor to the ground at gunpoint, he jumped the fence and fled into the woods behind my house. My wife had called the police at this point and I went back inside and secured the house, got dressed and waited for the police. About 15 minutes later, they arrive. I had hoped for an active break in, with an actor on foot in the area, they would have been a little faster. 15 minutes, and one officer response. We have a large dept here, so this struck me as odd. Guy was never caught, and I could have seen this situation going bad fast. It's one of many that make me try to handle my own problems as best possible with police response being a last resort. The safety of my family being paramount.

sarge83
July 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
The only time we have had the police respond to my neighborhood was when my MIL's security system has gone off a couple of times due to a malfunction.

First time the response time was 45 mins. The second time 20 mins.

Zoogster
July 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
The only time we have had the police respond to my neighborhood was when my MIL's security system has gone off a couple of times due to a malfunction.
In most of my state of CA policy is that officers cannot even respond to house alarms and security systems unless a call is placed to the home, and is answered by someone that says they do in fact need help.

Appearantly a massive portion of police time was spent responding to security alarms, dramaticly increasing the response time to other offenses and taking up a lot of officer time. Less than 2% of responses were valid alarm activations.
So the solution they came up with is the one I described above.
Of course that makes home security systems close to pointless here.

About the only thing they accomplish now is a deterent if they are the loud wake up the entire neighborhood type. If those go off on accident though the owner can be fined fairly heavily, or even be charged with disturbing the peace and noise violations.
As far as actual emergency response, it is no more effective than actualy having to dial 911 yourself, less in fact as it is relayed through an operator IF you answer the phone, and takes a few more seconds to actualy reach the police dispatch than if you dialed yourself.

Similar policies are appearing around the nation.

AirForceShooter
July 14, 2008, 01:02 PM
The dispatcher will probably ask, "Well, how many shots were fired?"

LEO arrival time well be in 1-2 hours if a deputy is on duty. If not, next day.

Dispatcher was shall we say doubtful until she heard the shots over the phone.

AFS

DMZ
July 14, 2008, 01:23 PM
Dispatcher was shall we say doubtful until she heard the shots over the phone.

AFS

I was living in central OR in a forested neighborhood where most lots were 3-5 acres in size and small hobby farms were numerous. A mixed bag demographically.

Anyway, there was a crazy drunk/drugged that lived adjacent to me. He was known to the Sheriff for mostly stuff like disorderly conduct. So he gets high and decided to do some shooting out in his back yard.

My kids were out playing when I heard the first shots. I ran outside and saw him with a semi-auto .22 rifle, plinking away randomly (there were houses about 300 yards down range from him). I got the kids in the house and called 911.

He had fired about 12 shots and as I talked to the dispatcher, he reloaded. The dispatcher asked me if I was sure it was gunfire. I walked outside and held the phone out as he began to blaze away some more. I asked her what that sounded like to her.

10 minutes later, about 3 cop cars show up (by my count he had fired off an entire box of .22 ammo by then and must have went back inside to take another hit or something) and arrested him for discharging a firearm in a residential area and reckless endangerment. Turns out he had plunked a couple of bullets through the window of a house with a young women and baby, nearly striking the women.

Pilot
July 14, 2008, 01:29 PM
Just add a one and dial "1911" first!

LOL!

trashpickinman
July 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
I've got a couple of stories, a little background first, I live right on the corner of an intersection that just happens to be on the dividing line of two cities, the East-bound lane is one city and the West-bound lane is another city. If I call to report a vehicle accident, I'm forced to tell them EXACTLY where the accident is, then I get transferred to appropriate city to tell them every detail again. Police response time can range from 2 or 3 minutes for an injury accident to about 30 minutes for a non injury, though we do have a fire station less than a mile up to road which can respond to injuries in about 2 or 3 minutes.

My parents had a car accident on the state line road between Kansas and Missouri, they waited for almost 4 hours for the Kansas City police to show up, but as they were on the Missouri side of the road they had to watch as several police cars from the city in Kansas drove by unable to do anything.

Colt46
July 14, 2008, 03:51 PM
50% of calls must have an officer on scene within 5 minutes of the call. If they fail that mandate they squirm and talk about additional funding, and hold town hall meetings to address the problem.

If you need cops there in a hurry then five minutes is way to long. Anything more is just laughable.

Zoogster
July 14, 2008, 04:50 PM
If they fail that mandate they squirm and talk about additional funding, and hold town hall meetings to address the problem.
No government agency will ever have enough funding, period.

Government in general plays with the gullible public with emergency services to gain additional funds when necessary.
Budget gets tough? There is thousands of things to cut, many pet projects not needed, but that would not get attention, that would not get an increased budget, approval for local fees and fines to increase revenue etc.
Cutting police or fire services will.
'Oh no they won't be able to take care of you without more money, everyone is going to be in more danger'. :rolleyes:
It is often a bunch of political BS.

Government does not like to be forced to operate like an effecient business. They like to grow and grow, never cut the fat from the operations, and continue to grow. If you attempt to force them to shrink they respond by shrinking the things you will notice the most first to change society's mind.

In reality you only need so many police. Most crime is over in less than a minute, and much of the remainder before police arrive (and most of our history we made due with just a sheriff with maybe a couple deputies).
You can increase the size of the police 10x fold and they still won't arrive within those first couple minutes. You can save your local area a ton of money and have far less and they still won't arrive in those first few minutes.
Personaly I would rather add a few more helicopters to transport injured individuals than dozens more police.
The additional police won't change that much, the reduced time to reach the hospital just might.

Bottom line is the only people that are going to be present in most crimes are the people involved and maybe a couple passerbys. Well 95% of passerbys won't help. You can get beaten to death on the side of a busy road. Everyone knows someone else will deal with it.

Bottom line is people have to be able to defend themselves. Any law or restriction that interferes with that is creating half of the problem. A problem government insures you can be fixed by forking over increasingly large sums so it can grow.

Rmart30
July 14, 2008, 07:35 PM
Im out of the "city limits" ,live in the most populated co in the state and withen 20 miles of one of the top 3 populated cities.
As I was told we have no more than 2 state troopers working any given county at any time. The county sheriffs response time is usually 15 min + . Ive never called them in a 911 situation other than for auto crashes and thats what Im basing my time on.

makarovnik
July 15, 2008, 02:04 AM
I had an eight hour response one time and a couple of flat out no shows. I've had the 911 operator tell me they are "not coming" or "I won't even contact the officer because he's too busy". The least important call I've ever made was being threatened by a neighbor with a gun and a dog attack after Animal Control was closed (they keep banker's hours). Fact is the cops are afraid to respond to calls in my area. Lots of meth labs, crack heads, child prostitution, fist fights, domestic violence, gun shots etc. And I live in a "quiet" rural area north of Seattle.

Last fall no less than eight police vehicles showed up at my neighbor's house and he barricaded himself in and cops were in the yard with weapons drawn. The standoff lasted a couple of hours.

The cops are less than worthless in my area. You need to protect yourself. I find a shotgun is standard equipment on my street.

Deanimator
July 15, 2008, 10:06 AM
I had an eight hour response one time and a couple of flat out no shows. I've had the 911 operator tell me they are "not coming" or "I won't even contact the officer because he's too busy".
Unless it's specifically prohibited by state law, you need to tape those calls. Ohio is a one party consent state. If you're a party to the conversation, you can record to your heart's consent. I'll bet the local and maybe national news would have a great time with that kind of 911 call. It'd be a big hit on YouTube too.

Grandpa Shooter
July 15, 2008, 12:23 PM
When I lived in the Valley, the average response time was about 20 minutes. Once I moved, the vendor for gas heaters told me that there was no law enforcement in this rural mountain community and that people dealt with problems themselves. I didn't know how serious he was until I had to call 911. They never came! Luckily there were no drastic negative outcomes, but it sure wised me up.

chris in va
July 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
It was what...6 minutes at the Omaha mall shooting? And they touted as being 'fast'. A lot can happen in 6 minutes. Plus it takes a while longer for the police to figger out what to do.

doc2rn
July 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
I called them once on 911, took about 1 hour 45 mins. The dude being held at gunpoint the entire time was thanking them when they got there.
Told him I could bury him then cover him up with the maneur pile and no one would ever know.
Doubt he will ever shoot at my house again.

romma
July 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
About 25 minutes from the old house.

Now where I live I would estimate it might take 3 minutes. But by then in my neighborhood it would be too late.

I live in a bad neighborhood. Especially after dark.

sh0rtyg1rL
July 15, 2008, 04:12 PM
I live in the country.. we have a police station down road but if its after 9 they close or something i dunno.... but for the scranton police to come damn id say a good 30-45mins. i dont own any guns right now so i'd be screwed if it was a bad situation.

Elza
July 15, 2008, 04:25 PM
The one time I called one was there in right at three minutes. At about four minutes two others were on the scene. This is a great response time but a lot can happen in three minutes.

As an aside, the cop at the door was a good guy as well. When he came to the door I unloaded and cleared my AR. I left it on the kitchen table and opened the door. After I told him what was going on (the other two went in search of the clowns nosing around my windows) he looked at the AR. “20 round mag?” I answered “30.” He smiled and nodded his head. My kind of cop!

ilbob
July 15, 2008, 04:32 PM
A local agency (I don't recall which) actually sent a guy out to investigate a robbery in progress call several days after the fact. The official explanation was that somehow the call slip got lost at the 911 center while the computers were down so they went to some kind of paper based backup system. Somehow the piece of paper relating to the robbery got lost and was found several days later when a cop was finally dispatched to the incident.

One of my favorites though is the park district cops being repeatedly sent to the wrong park. I don't recall why it happened but for some reason anytime a call came in concerning an incident at a certain park, the cops were being dispatched to a different park. IIRC, it took several years to clear that one up.

arflattop
July 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
We have one LEO in our county. At night the nearest town (16 miles) takes over. Fortunately I've never had to call, so I don't know the response time. I'd say I'm own my own...............

LostinJersey
July 15, 2008, 04:47 PM
Local PD takes five minutes for emergency calls and ten minutes to an hour for the non-emergency calls. The town I live in is maybe 15 square miles with a population of about 15 thousand people. The PD has about 40 officers, but at one time there are maybe 5 officers and one or two detectives on duty.

Old Grump
July 15, 2008, 07:08 PM
I live on the north side of a large county and it is fairly sparely populated but I am between 2 small police departments, One is a village the other a small town. The sheriff is patrolling the southern part of the county where the larger towns and college campuses are. A non-emergency can be 35 minutes, (average) to 4 hours. Shots fired calls will draw units from neighboring departments within 10 minutes and state and sheriff will be there in less than 20 minutes. They are good about backing each other up but this is a spread out area lightly patrolled by small departments. Not to many in this area are without guns for hunting and some of us are veterans who shoot for fun and and or competition and in 10 years there have only been '2 shots fired' calls.

AlaskaErik
July 15, 2008, 07:14 PM
Of course that makes home security systems close to pointless here.

I agree. Had the neighbor's go off several times within an hour and nobody ever showed up. I live in a borough that's larger than 10 of the states and we might have four or five troopers on duty at any one time. I suspect many people would have to wait for an hour or more even if they were a priority call. And it could be days if you're off the road system.

woodsja
July 15, 2008, 07:26 PM
I found this (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cvus/current/cv05107.pdf). on the Department of Justice's website.

This (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=SeD&q=site%3A.gov+police+response+times&btnG=Search) gives you some more if you want.

We should probably disregard the 10 or fewer cases that the officer responded in a time period greater than a day but if included then officers respond to 33.6% of robbery, aggravated, and simple assault between 11 minutes and 1 hour

never_retreat
July 15, 2008, 07:32 PM
Depends if you tell the cops if you started shooting or not.
My house I'm going to guess 15 minuets, thats what it took when I called in a accident in front of my house. The volunteer emt's showed up faster from 4 miles away.

Or as my sig says
911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

JWarren
July 15, 2008, 07:37 PM
To my home, the police can get here in 25-35 minutes-- and that is GOOD. I am not faulting them at ALL.

I live 25 miles from the nearest police station. The one time that I've had to call them, they were there in 25 minutes.

-- John

jakemccoy
July 15, 2008, 07:42 PM
For my house, it takes less than 10 minutes. Anything more than 5 seconds to my bedroom door is too long. The time it takes for the cops to arrive in your driveway is meaningless. Do you remember what happened in the Cheshire, Connecticut case? Once the cops finally arrived, they hunkered down outside for a long while. Gun owners commonly know that the "call 911" concept is not a reliable method of home defense. I hate to see people who are setting themselves up to find out the hard way.

The Tourist
July 15, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yesterday my wife and SIL were working in the garden which abuts the Green Space in our town. This space grows totally wild, plants and trees, and no one goes in there.

As my SIL dug along the edge of this space, she uncovered a bone--one the size and shape of human rib bone.

Our cops were there inside of three minutes.

Vern Humphrey
July 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
As my SIL dug along the edge of this space, she uncovered a bone--one the size and shape of human rib bone.

Our cops were there inside of three minutes.
A lifetime too late for the former ower of the rib bone.;)

jakemccoy
July 15, 2008, 07:51 PM
If I remember correctly, I saw a statement from the US DOJ that the average violent crime lasted about 20 seconds and the average police responce time was 7 minutes. It didn't take me long to do the math on that one.

20 seconds for a violent crime must seem like an eternity to the victim.

jakemccoy
July 15, 2008, 07:58 PM
Cops arrive sooner if you say you're armed, sooner still if shots are already fired, sooner still is someone is shot.

Clint C
July 15, 2008, 08:05 PM
My brother lives in a town of about 5000. He lives in some low rent apartments with all kinds of people. Once the man above him was beating his wife, and he said he could hear the kids saying "don't hurt my mommy". He called the cops and it took them twenty-five minutes to get there (the police station is two blocks away) and there are always two cops on duty.

A While later he was outside grilling and a woman came out of the building screaming and running past him. About five seconds later a mexican man came running out after her with a knife. He again called the cops. It took them three minutes to get there.

Moral of the story. You say Mexican with a knife and they are on it.:banghead:

ralphie98
July 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
I called 911 last summer for a suspiscious person/possible burgulary in progress and I had 2 cars show up in under 2 minutes. Could be partly due to the fact that there were a lot of burglaries last year around that time and they were trying to catch the dudes. I was still pretty impressed with this being a good sized city of 60-70,000 people.

ZombieHunter
July 15, 2008, 09:07 PM
I actually had a conversation with a ranking officer in Northern Anne Arundel county recently. He explained to me that violent crime 911 calls are typically responded to in under 5 minutes. While this is respectable it's still "When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away."

However, non-emergency calls he told me were something that they got to when they got to.

alsaqr
July 15, 2008, 09:27 PM
I live in an OK county that is larger than the state of Rhode Island. Better have a self help plan because it could take a long time for a deputy to get there.

scrat
July 15, 2008, 09:37 PM
about 4 years ago i was driving into los angeles on the 101 when i got sideswiped. The guy was in a minivan full of people and actually tried to outrun me. I was in my bmw. Needless to say i was totally pdddd off. i called 911 and they put me on hold. i could not friggen believe it. i must have called about 5 times for what seemed like eternity before i got through. then the guy pulled off freeway and tried to loose me on the streets i was hot on his rear end. Then the chp finally pulled around the corner when i was right behind him.

Thats the day i finally lost all respect for law enforcement and 911. When we stopped i got out and it took everything i had not to go and beat the bjesus out of the driver. CHP saw it. told them everything that happened they knew i was following this guy for a long time. they were pissed that he did not stop either then at first they were pissed i followed but then when they saw my car they understood. i wanted to press charges for hit and run. They refused made the driver stay in there car. i had to stand behind mine. they exchanged info then. got all my information and then went to go talk to the other driver then the other driver drove away. When i saw that this time it took all i had to not say anything bad and not kick the crap out of the chp.
the chp's response was " well he did pull over"

If you enjoyed reading about "How long it takes for the police to arrive after you dial 911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!