Worst injuries\days at the range?

PDA

Aren't we all
July 13, 2008, 04:53 PM
Tell the world about your worst range injuries/ worst days,ect.

Why do i want to know? Because maybe I won't be the most idiotic/ accident prone person on the board.:)

Marsh

If you enjoyed reading about "Worst injuries\days at the range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
July 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
No horror stories here. I've been shooting for 35 years and I've never suffered any injury worst than a small cut or skin abrasion. Golf has proven to be a far more hazardous hobby than shooting. I'm always nursing golf injuries.

Claude Clay
July 13, 2008, 05:02 PM
was swept by peoples more intent on taking pictures than on safety.....kinda ruined my mood. when they did it again a group of us walked over to them and they were keen on telling us 'not to worry'. they left and we didn't

can New Yoeker's vote in the fall election?:uhoh:

Aren't we all
July 13, 2008, 05:13 PM
You guys have both been lucky, I've caught 12g rounds .22s and one of those 7.62x54r short range plastic bullets. I was not happy with the owner because he put steel plate in the backstop and that was why. :banghead:

marsh

Eric F
July 13, 2008, 05:31 PM
I droped my car keys at the range under the concrete table bent over grabed them and stood up only to hit the top of my head on the bench.......no scrape or lumps-n-bumps but its the worst thing I have ever suffered.

Crow1108
July 13, 2008, 05:41 PM
Picking up the steel frames that hold the cardboard target boards at the outdoor range I go to. They're pretty shot up, so they have a decent amount of jagged edges. Dragging them forward or dragging them back to change distances proves to be pretty hairy. Ripped up my hands and a favorite pair of jeans.

Shooting steel knockdown targets. Got sprayed by some bullet fragments (about 20' away).

That's the extent of it.

cambeul41
July 13, 2008, 05:43 PM
I wrapped the thumb of my support hand around behind slide of the semi-auto that I was shooting. Ouch!

July 13, 2008, 08:51 PM
I used to own a mini-30. I had a friend who really wanted to shoot it so I took him to a local public range. He was familiar with firearms so.....Here is the rifle, here is a mag and there is the target. All was well until his first shot. You see, this range used sandbags as a rifle rest and my friend was all good with lining up the irons, he just forgot about muzzle placement and blew out this sandbag all over his face and eyes. It is a very surreal moment when you get sandblasted by a mini-30. After making sure that he was alright (Luckily so, he was not wearing any shooting glasses.) we just stared at each other with disbelief. The range had at least 5 other shooters around, funny thing, nobody else saw a thing. I grabbed the brass broom and swept the sand into the grass, while my buddy swapped the bag with one from another table and we continued on. I have never been back to that range again.

Psywarrior13
July 13, 2008, 08:53 PM
Do near heart-attacks from watching unsafe shooters count??

ColinthePilot
July 13, 2008, 09:03 PM
My pistol got really hot yesterday from sitting on the table in the sun...

mister dize
July 13, 2008, 09:04 PM
.22lr brass down the inside of my eyeglasses.

MarshallDodge
July 13, 2008, 09:08 PM
At indoor ranges I have been hit by bullet jacketing a couple times and on one occasion it was enough to cut my arm open. When I went up to the front to get a bandage the guy at the counter said "That happens all the time" but he didn't have anything in the first aid kit. He gave me a Kleenex and some scotch tape.

You really have to be aware at the range. I have had way too many muzzles pointed at me.

AZ_Rebel
July 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
Massive paper cut from edge of target!:eek:

bgeddes
July 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
When I was in the Army, as soon as I made SGT, they sent to off to be a range safety on M-16 qualifying day. Not a big deal, good folks in our company, I expected nothing but a typically range day.

As a range safety, my 'job' was to make sure all weapons were aimed in a safe direction, make sure everyone in my area was ready to shoot before the qualifying started, and assist with weapons problems (jams etc, pretty rare 99% of the people knew as much as I did).

So this day, I hear someone saying they have a jam, they are in a 'foxhole' shooting position, basically and open topped hole in the ground. I start to walk down to help and here comes the muzzle, aimed what seemed to be RIGHT AT ME. I was thinking run like a rabbit, and started a zigzag path to the shooter. It seemed to take forever to get there, I was screaming 'cease fire' and 'point the weapon down range'. The shooter was screaming, 'It's jammed'.

When I got to the shooter, the other 49 people on the firing line finally convinced this idiot to put the weapon down on the stand and wait for assistance.

I got there and kicked the back of his helmet as hard as I could, bouncing the front of it off the front edge of the hole. I took the 1.5 seconds for a routine FTE clear, and went ballistic in my explanation of range safety practice.

The guy climbs out of the hole and he's a brand new officer that arrived at the unit a few weeks before. He tried to get me Court Marshalled for kicking him, but it never made it past the Colonel's office. Not long after he was sent on his way from the Division.

A bad day at the range for sure.

TexasRifleman
July 13, 2008, 09:23 PM
I over charged a batch of 10mm reload rounds once. About 100 rounds.

I touched off the first one at the range in my Delta Elite.

Blew the mag into pieces and all the parts flew out the bottom. Blew the grip panels off and shoved wood splinters into my hand and a chunk of brass caught me in the forehead.

Got my attention that's for sure......

No permanent damage luckily.

jagugator
July 13, 2008, 09:25 PM
Not really a range injury but I really tweaked my back moving my gun rsc the other day. Now I am on muscle relaxers and haven't been to the range in a week. I am going tomorrow though, nothing is going to stop me. :D

Master Blaster
July 13, 2008, 09:27 PM
I was hit in the leg by a piece of a .45 acp bullet that had bounced back once at a comercial range years ago. It made a small bruise on my calf.

I once cut my finger on something while putting my shotgun together for trap.

The most dangerous thing I do on a day of shooting IMHO is driving to and from the range.

Last time I went Ice skating at the local rink, two people left in an ambulance durring a 1 hour skating period. One had a knee injury, the other a broken arm. Its not uncommon to see injuries ice skating.

TheReeves
July 13, 2008, 09:29 PM
I used my shin to knock one of those rotating benches to the other side of the table.

Okiecruffler
July 13, 2008, 09:37 PM
Had a Davis 380 that hurt me twice. It was my first compact auto so of course on our first outing it sliced the web of my hand. Three sutures worth on that one. About 1500rds later a chunk of the slide came off and put a cut in my cheek. But that wasn't the worst.
Was hunting with a guy who I'd never hunted with before. Wasn't having much luck so we went to shoot some sparrows at the landfill. He was shooting a 10-22 and took a shot at one that was sitting on an old bathtub. Bullet whizzed along the inside came back and smacked me in the, well let's just say it hurt ALOT. But that wasn't the worst.
Worst was when I was shooting by myself at a rural range. I was busting clays thrown with my Hoppes spring thrower. Had it all loaded up, trip string in my left hand and closed the action on my 311, right on the web of my right hand. So now my right hand is stuck between the barrels and the frame and it stings a mite. So I start kinda dancing as I try to open the action with my left hand. Well I dance in front of the thrower and manage to pull the string at the same time. The arm smacks into my right shin. At least that took my mind off my hand for a bit. Glad no one saw that one, but if I could have had it on tape I'd be a you-tube hero now.

Jdude
July 13, 2008, 09:56 PM
I missed once. Worst day ever.

Here is another story.
As a child, an adult took me shooting in an area that did not allow it. I didn't know, hell i was young. The owners of the property notified the police. The one I remember (because he was pointing his gun at me) approached from the side and said "hey there! you aren't supposed to be shooting here!"
Although everyone was armed, it was resolved peacefully and quickly. I'll never forget the cop apologising to me. He said "I am sorry I had to point my gun at you, but you were all shooting and I had to be safe". I do not remember what was said to the adult, but I remember him saying "I am just trying to teach gun safety to the kids". He probably got away with it because of us.
P.S. this was in Arizona. Couldn't have happened in a better place.

I was shooting at the thumbtacks holding up my target at 7 yards. Being a THR member, I of course never miss. I hit one and feel a sudden pain in my leg. I look down, small drop of blood no big deal. I start to fiddle with it, to make sure there was nothing in there. What do I find? The entire pin from the thumbtack, bent and mangled under my flesh. After removing it the blood started to flow nicely. A band-aid later, I was back to shooting targets. No thumbtacks though. They shoot back.

Samgotit
July 13, 2008, 10:09 PM
Stapled my finger through the back side of the target; learned not to do that again. I'm smart.

davepool
July 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
I had a S&W 22A fire out of battery once,broke the pistol but no harm to me.
The worst day was being stung in the ear by one of these big nasty Yellow Jackets that live in the desert around here. I took my hearing protection off and laid them on the bench while i checked my targets,he was in the ear cup and when i put them back on he got me twice right at the entry to my ear canal before i could get them off....I check them every time now.

Bartkowski
July 13, 2008, 10:45 PM
I was shooting my AR and my not to bright friend decided to catch the brass...and while getting burned he just fumbled with it instead of dropping it.

Harry Paget Flashman
July 13, 2008, 10:49 PM
Garand thumb first time up to bat. I didn't know it was possible to bleed that much. I completed the day with a masking tape bandage. It has given me an even bigger respect for my Hakim, which hasn't bit me yet.

X Who
July 13, 2008, 10:55 PM
I shot a 12ga. coach gun from the hip once with heavy loads. Lost some skin on the fingers of my right hand.

Stevie-Ray
July 13, 2008, 11:03 PM
As a kid, I pulled both triggers of a 12 ga shotgun; the person supervising me (who shall remain nameless) must have thought it funny.:rolleyes: Anyways, landed flat on my back, the gun about 10 feet over my shoulder, which hurt like hell, by the way.

Ill-timed .44 magnum forcing cone shaved half the jacket off a 240 gr JHP, sending it into my face, drawing blood. Gave it back to the guy suggesting a smithie.

10mm brass, over my head and down the back of my shirt. Did the beltline shuffle far more vigorously than with .22 or even .45 ACP. Got a burn from that one. It never ceases to amaze me how many people laugh/clap their hands/slap their thighs, when this happens.;)

RP88
July 13, 2008, 11:09 PM
first time I shot a 12 gauge...

I thought all you had to do was 'hold it tight and right'. I found out three things from the first shot:

-'hold it tight' means 'tight to your shoulder'
-'right' means 'lean into it a bit if you only weigh ~140 pounds
-don't put your cheek on the stock like its a cheek-weld or a light-caliber rifle without expecting it to feel bad

my collar bone didnt feel good for a minute, my cheek felt pretty stiff for about a day, and my shooter's pride was irreparably damaged for that session when I staggered back a step or so in front of about six experienced shooters like an idiot who didnt know anything about guns.

jard
July 13, 2008, 11:23 PM
Man Killed By Shotgun Blast At Shooting Range
Shooting An Accident, Police Say
http://www.kcra.com/news/16871050/detail.html

MODESTO, Calif. -- One man is dead after being hit by a shotgun blast during a tournament at a skeet shooting range, police said Sunday.

William Herrman, 70, was shot at about 9:30 a.m. at The Old Fisherman Club on the 10000 block of Maze Boulevard outside of Modesto.

Authorities said the firearm, belonging to one of the men in the group, accidentally discharged and struck the Herrman.

"I've been here almost five years and nothing like this has ever happened," said caretaker Mitch Boyle. "It made my stomach turn."

Herrman was transported to an area hospital where he died.

Skeet shooting has been going on at The Old Fisherman Club since the 1950s, officials said.

Police are currently investigating how the fatal shot was fired.

Len S
July 13, 2008, 11:39 PM
Years ago, doing malfunction drills with a smith 459. Darn those sights are sharp. Blood does not come out of blue jeans.

Len

evan price
July 13, 2008, 11:59 PM
I wear button-up short sleeve work shirts tucked into my jeans, leave the top two buttons open. Dropped a hot casing right down the neck of my shirt. It ran down to the belt line, as I tried to flail it away I jiggled enough that it dropped past my belt and into other areas that are much more sensitive to high temps. Left a nice little burn that scabbed over.

XD Fan
July 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
Stapled my finger through the back side of the target; learned not to do that again. I'm smart.

Me too. My wife and father just laughed at me.

Also I was dragging away the hood of an old car that someone had used as a target, and opened my finger up on the jagged bullet holes.

Hand slipped while loading a mag once and cut my finger open on it.

BReilley
July 14, 2008, 12:41 AM
Just wood splinters from target frames :)

Deus Machina
July 14, 2008, 06:53 AM
Closed the slide of a rental S&W 22A on my thumb once. The ledge the slide lock catches on had worn mirror-smooth, and it didn't lock back after that.

Found out that $11/550 Federal cheapies are so dirty that, not only do they leave the muzzle end of that same 22A dusty, some fill puff hot 'sand' back at you.

Clocked in the head with the primer end of .45 brass from the guy next to me. Went over the divider.

Saw my best friend fire his 16 gauge for the first time. Heavy 'high velocity' buckshot. Didn't hold the gun tight to his shoulder or overtly brace himself. Never saw the 6' 2" 300 pound guy stumble back before or since.

Shung
July 14, 2008, 07:13 AM
I wrapped the thumb of my support hand around behind slide of the semi-auto that I was shooting. Ouch!

+1 .. I took the bolt lever of a RPK in my thumb nail.. it hurts..

doc2rn
July 14, 2008, 07:42 AM
I had a G32 KB on me. Superglued the bleeding and them commenced to have an off day of shooting with .38 and .22.

ar10
July 14, 2008, 07:53 AM
A truly dumbass was taking pictures of his buddy during an IDPA match and got way too close. He was still behind the firing line when his buddy popped a steel plate with a .45APC round. The spent round bounce off the plate and nailed the guy right on his left nipple and he went down like a tree. I ran over to him thinking someone just shot a guy at the range. There were no holes in his shirt but he was in a lot of pain and kept complaining his left side was "killing" him. I then thought he had a heart attack and open his shirt that when the spent slug fell on the ground. That slug nailed him pretty bad, there was no bleeding but he had about a 3" bruise all around his left nipple. I got him off the range and into the main club house, asked him if he wanted an ambulance, he said no and waited for about 20 min than left the range.

MikeB
July 14, 2008, 08:20 AM
Other than the ubiquitous brass burns most shooters will experience, I've only had one real gun injury. It actually happened just last week. I had a Carbon 15 AR pistol come apart on me after firing a round. The round part of the lower that holds the buffer tube decided to split and the buffer tube came straight back at me and smacked me right on the chin. A bit of bruising, it's still a little painful and a small cut was the only result.

Hot brass
July 14, 2008, 09:34 AM
Slide from a 45acp ripped apart my thumb. Caught a .22 lr case and got burned. LOL.

lance22
July 14, 2008, 09:58 AM
After peppering a very large 28 oz tin can with .40 holes, I picked it up to examine my fine handiwork. When I tossed the tin can towards the trash a jagged corner caught my finger tip, giving me a one inch cut. This was just a couple days ago.

If tin / aluminum cans were against the law, this injury would never have happened. Why did the government fail to protect me? [sacrasm]

OOOXOOO
July 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
My friend and I were shooting clays in the desert. He was new to shooting clays so I talked him through it and let him shoot first. Everything went well for him so we traded the shotgun for the clay thrower. He was standing about 40 feet to the right of me and when he tried to throw the clay it did not get out of the thrower. We stopped and I let him toss a couple for practise. He was having a hard time but got to where he could throw them down range. We set back up and I yell pull, I'm looking for the clay and don't see it, then it hits me right in the bottom lip. It busted half in my mouth. My lip was bleeding and I was spitting out pieces of broken clay. I really thought it busted my tooth but it did not. I came back home and my lip is swollen twice the normal size and I can see pices of the clay stuck under the skin. Half an hour later after some cursing and bleeding I pulled a clay sliver out of my lip. My wife was rolling on the floor laughing.

Old Grump
July 14, 2008, 01:50 PM
Brass on the eyelid or down behind the collar, M1 thumb patched with masking tape, thats standard. Everybody who fires a pistol 2 handed will eventually get twin grooves, not a biggy. Worst one was the first last and only time I ever fired a double barreled 10 gauge shotgun. 22 cal and BB guns were my shooting experience up to that point. Recoil from an easy hold on the shoulder triggered the next barrel. Thumb went back into my nose and blinded me for a few seconds. When I could see again my friend is on the ground, face contorted, holding himself tightly across the middle, making no sounds and his feet waving in the air and kicking the ground. Nearly panicked because I thought I had some how shot him. The little Potlicker was laughing so hard he couldn't make a sound. Don't know what hurt worse, thinking I had shot him, my busted nose or him laughing at me.

mikebnem
July 14, 2008, 03:09 PM
I knocked a steel plate on my foot while I was helping reset them.

CountGlockula
July 14, 2008, 03:14 PM
Getting the meaty part of my palm stuck between a 1911A1 magazine bottom plate and the gun's frame.

SteelyNirvana
July 14, 2008, 03:23 PM
Worst thing I've done was Friday. I was shooting at my buddys house, had fired about 20 rounds from my 30-30. I switched to my .357 and fired about 15 rounds or so from it. Went to pick up the 30-30 again and grabed it from the barrel:fire:. Very bad mistake, burned the crap out of my left hand but one that I'll never make again.

weisse52
July 14, 2008, 04:05 PM
Usual stuff. Hot brass where should not be, lead / brass shaving, 12 guage learning curve.
I agree with early post, I have seen far more blood and carnage at a golf driving range than at any shooting range!
Maybe we should outlaw golf clubs?

Floppy_D
July 14, 2008, 04:39 PM
One of my mags bit me today. Not sure which one. I looked down and my index finger was dripping on my shoes. I got it pretty good. That's the worst so far.

3KillerBs
July 14, 2008, 04:40 PM
About 15 years ago I was learning to shoot pistols at an indoor range and didn't know any female pistol shooters. The retired military guy who owned the range and gave the newbies their safety training wasn't too familiar with teaching women.

I had to find out why one does not wear a low-cut, v-necked shirt while shooting the hard way. Fortunately, since I'd been working as a short-order cook I was accustomed to being burned and didn't panic and start waving my gun around.

CountGlockula
July 14, 2008, 04:52 PM
Reading these stories made my face twinge.

K3
July 14, 2008, 05:09 PM
Other than one bout of 'scope eye' the only thing noteworthy was a near miss.

I was about to take a drink of my A&W Root Beer, and I felt something tickle on my tongue and lip.

A bee decided to find some shade in my ice cold beverage.

SN13
July 14, 2008, 05:26 PM
A .308 AR was blasting away rapid fire (1 shot every 1-2 secs) and after two or three mags, a round landed IN my hand as I walked by. For 1/100th of a second I thought "Wow, I caught it!" then the burning sensation hit me LOL :)

I got my middle finger caught between the barrel and slide of my XD when it slipped out of my grasp when I was locking it back to begin cleaning ><

hrm... Bee sting on my shooting hand.... still managed to shoot lots of .45ACP, 12ga and .308 regardless :)

KiltedClaymore
July 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
fired 40-60 rounds out of my mosin as rapidly as i could cycle and aim. then i managed to touch the barrel while fussing with a stubborn stripper clip. still can smell the stink of searing flesh and corrosive ammo when i remember that...

Bowman140
July 14, 2008, 06:22 PM
This wasn't at the range, but oh well. A friend and I were shooting turtles in a small pond a few years ago with .22s and a fer 12 gagues. We had been shooting for an hour or so when a .22 bullet bounced off the top of the water, hit an overturned boat on the other side and proceded to hit me in the abdomen. No bleeding but it left a pretty good bruise.

P.S. You have never had fun until you have shot a turtle with a 12 gague.

KiltedClaymore
July 14, 2008, 06:25 PM
that breaks several safty rules. instead of shooting them IN the water, catch them with a fishing pole baited with hot dogs, haul them out, shoot them on LAND, and make a dandy turtle soup!

justin 561
July 14, 2008, 06:33 PM
Kept getting gun powder in my eyes yesterday when I went shooting. Today I went and bought me some glasses.

Claude Clay
July 14, 2008, 06:36 PM
did you buy shot glasses?

weisse52
July 14, 2008, 06:36 PM
OK. Totally off the subject. I have killed lots of animals for good reasons. Some for food some as vermin/pests I have even killed to end suffering.
BUT I have never understood killing an animal just to watch it die. So, what column did the turtles fall under?
I feel comments like that just fuel anti-gun, anti-hunting fires.
And I do think they watch theses boards as well as we do.

KiltedClaymore
July 14, 2008, 06:43 PM
thats why i said he shoulda made turtle soup!

justin 561
July 14, 2008, 06:44 PM
did you buy shot glasses?

I bought these.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/ZWB-203.jpg

weisse52
July 14, 2008, 06:45 PM
I do love turtle soup!

And my comment was not directed at your post.

Bowman140
July 14, 2008, 07:00 PM
OK. Totally off the subject. I have killed lots of animals for good reasons. Some for food some as vermin/pests I have even killed to end suffering.
BUT I have never understood killing an animal just to watch it die. So, what column did the turtles fall under?
I feel comments like that just fuel anti-gun, anti-hunting fires.
And I do think they watch theses boards as well as we do.

The turtles would fall under the vermin/pest column. We were shooting the turtles because there were probably 200-300 in a one acre pond. There was a massive over population problem and this was the most effective way to bring down the population. Sorry for digressing.

weisse52
July 14, 2008, 07:42 PM
That I understand. If an area has no natural predators man has to step in to restore balance. But next time try turtle soup!

Bowman140
July 14, 2008, 08:04 PM
But next time try turtle soup!

Know of any good recipies?

weisse52
July 15, 2008, 12:08 AM
Well, my mother did....

bobbarker
July 15, 2008, 12:14 AM
Caught several pieces of brass down the neck of my shirt, caught one in between my eye pro and my temple, that one hurt REAL bad. One Beretta bite, never gonna happen again, that hurt like a son of a bitch. Worst ever thing though, was not to me, but a buddy of mine. Was trying out a Muzzleloader, and it blew up on him, lost a thumb. Report came back it wasn't weapon error, but improperly loaded. Damn shame, he was a good guy. That put a toe on his hand for him though...Made for quite a few "Foot Fungus Cream" jokes...

readr1
July 15, 2008, 03:12 AM
I was on the M-203 range back in '95 when the Marine next to me had an AD with HEDP right into the sand bag at my feet!!!!

HEDP = High Explosive Dual Purpose

We were VERY lucky, the 203 has a spin arm fuse.

jrfoxx
July 15, 2008, 07:12 AM
other than the common hot brass burn on the eye lid (mine was at an outdoor range, with no roof or dividers, while wearing a baseball cap, and safety glasses, with my 1911-so I'm still not sure of the odds involved in that having happened), I got slide bir by grandmas 1940's Galesi .25 acp tin mouse gun. Only got a tiny blood blister.In fact, I had no idea I had gotten bit at first. I fired, then notice the slide wasnt in battery, so I dropped the mag, and it wasnt until I racked the slide to see what was going on, that I realized it was the web of my hand that had jammed the slide. I was a little surprised. I have since learned to check my hand position often on that gun, even though it didnt hurt. I also ruled it out as a super deep concealment bBUG based on that, as in a SD situation, the odds of not having the greatest hand position are pretty good, and a jam after only 1 shot would not be a good thing.

still a fun little gun to shoot though.:D

LaVere
July 15, 2008, 08:01 AM
.40 SW brass down the inside of my eyeglasses. Burned just below right eye. Blistered up and hurt for a few days. I recommend wearing baseball type cap or other that blocks the top of the glasses.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 15, 2008, 09:09 AM
I am posting as a ghostly spirit here. I died from shooting a Glock 7 - the ceramic one that metal detectors cannot see. Bruce Willis must be one tough mutha, 'cause I couldn't survive one shot when the gun exploded.

DWARREN123
July 15, 2008, 09:39 AM
1982 as a Drill Sergeant at Ft. Dix, NJ. Caught 3 rounds of 5.56mm thru my shirt under my right arm. Young female soldier came up to be cleared from the range, had a mag in the rifle and the selector switch on auto. When I informed her on what to do to safe the rifle she pulled the trigger while trying to remove the mag. Burned my shirt and put three holes in it.
I took 3 days off to recover.:cuss:

lance22
July 15, 2008, 10:24 AM
I am posting as a ghostly spirit here. I died from shooting a Glock 7 - the ceramic one that metal detectors cannot see. Bruce Willis must be one tough mutha, 'cause I couldn't survive one shot when the gun exploded.

Premium Sauces - please tell us more about this horrid accident. The Brady Campaign has warned us about these ceramic glocks and .88 magnums that are flooding the streets. How did this happen to you?

apocryph
July 15, 2008, 10:50 AM
I was shooting my slugs in my 12 ga Winchester 1300, having just put a tacticool top-folding stock on it. Not content with the shoulder discomfort caused by the light and sparsely padded buttplate, I decided to fold the stock and fire with just the pistol grip. The range doesn't allow firing from the hip, so I brought the gun up to my face for a proper sight picture. I knew the recoil would be a handful, so I held the pistol grip about a foot from my face.

You can imagine what happened next. The recoil easily overcame the force with which I was holding the grip, and the back of the pistol grip came into violent contact with my upper lip. It split the lip all the way up to my nostril, and I have a scar to this day to prove it.

Embarrassing, yes, but I kept hold of the gun, kept the muzzle in a safe direction, cleared the weapon, put it down on the table, and calmly walked to the bathroom to mop up the blood. No one else at the range even noticed. Needless to say, the tacticool top-folding stock has since been replaced.

Joe Demko
July 15, 2008, 11:10 AM
When I was a kid about 10 years old, an older relative had my brother and I shooting his Savage .22 magnum/ 20 gauge. It had a scope on it. We were shooting .22 magnums at a paper target. He sent me down range to put up a new target. When I got back he handed me the gun and told me it was my turn to shoot.
As a joke, he'd loaded a 20 gauge slug and didn't tell me. You can imagine what happened: I got belted in the eye with the scope good and hard and was badly startled by the unexpected noise and recoil. Ha ha. Real funny. Until the black eye faded, I got to laugh about it some more every time I looked in the mirror.
The prankster died more than 10 years ago, and my dad inherited the gun. He gave it to me a couple years back. I've never fired it. Once in a while, I get it out and look at it. It reminds me how angry and betrayed I felt that somebody I trusted pulled such a s****y trick on me. Then I put it back on the rack.

If you ever get the idea to pull some jack-ass prank like that on a new shooter, a woman, or a kid, please don't.

XD_fan
July 15, 2008, 11:38 AM
I wear glasses so have had the brass under the eye treatment a time or two. As someone else said I can't figure out how this still happens while wearing a ball cap with the bill pulled down low. It has to make at least two right angle turns to do this yet still happens.

I walked into the aftermath of someone committing suicide at a range with a rental gun. I kind of saw it happen out of the corner of my eye. Very bad scene. They changed their rental policy as a result. Had to have a gun with you or someone with one. I remember coming in to shoot a few weeks after this. I was alone and didn't have a gun with me. The guy behind the counter asked me how my mental attitude was. At first I was :confused: and then I was :what:. Clerk knew me very well and went ahead and let me rent but I didn't really enjoy myself much that day.

Only time I've been hurt was while teaching a young woman to shoot. We'd done .22 pistol and rifle and she wanted to shoot a "real" gun. I had several pistols with me and she picked out my SP101 as one to shoot. Loaded some .38 wadcutters and handed her the pistol.

She held it with the fingers of her left hand along the side of the cylinder. Told her not to fire and take her finger off the trigger. She did and I reached up and repositioned her hands. Just as I started to move my hands away I said okay and she immediately pulled the trigger. The top of my left ring finger took the brunt of the damage. Ripped most of the skin off, imbedded powder grains, and generally burnt everything that wasn't shredded.

I pulled powder grains out for about a week. Still had some migrate out after six months. About a year before I managed to finally dig out the last couple of grains. I have a small keloid on the top of my ring finger and on occasion it will swell and hurt for a few days. Certainly got my attention.

I dramatically changed the way I teach people to shoot. Except with a .22 I have people hold and dry fire anything before they actually get to shoot a loaded gun. With the .22 I have them simulate a trigger pull on an unloaded gun by sliding their finger along the bottom of the trigger guard. No more flash flame burns for me! The cylinder gap on revolvers is not flesh friendly

I've also had an ND. Started to put a .22 rifle up to my shoulder with my finger on the trigger. About the time I got the muzzle a couple of feet in front of my feet, still pointed down, I pulled the trigger. I was about 10 and out by myself squirrel hunting. Scared me so bad I unloaded the gun and went home. It was a good month before I worked up the nerve to go out hunting again. Never told anyone, basically till now, and haven't had an ND since. I'm 52. I still think about how bad this could have been a second earlier or if the round had hit a rock in the ground.

Be safe out there. Accidents do happen. I worked with a old german cabinet maker in high school. He would put his hands down on the table saw and count his fingers before turning it on every time. I asked him one day why. He told me that if he didn't have the time or was too distracted to count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 fingers it was time to do something else. Its been a lesson that has stayed with me.

Rugerlvr
July 15, 2008, 11:43 AM
Got a rather nasty burn from hot .45 brass a couple of weeks ago. blistered a bit. The fool thing lodged right in the fold of my elbow. (short sleeved shirt.)

elChupacabra!
July 15, 2008, 12:25 PM
I had an AD at a range about 3 years ago with a Benelli Nova Special Purpose.

my buddy and I were blowing through some birdshot as fast as we could, dumping a tube of 7 rounds at IPSC targets. We didn't care about the accuracy as much as learning to control the gun when firing rapidly and reloading quickly.

I started to notice that I would get FTFs - I would cycle the action and press the trigger but nothing would happen until I let off, repositioned my finger and pressed again. (I was pretty new to shooting at the time - turns out that, firing so rapidly, I was allowing my hand to work around to the front of the grip so much that I was pressing ACROSS the trigger below the second joint of my hand, not actually pressing down on it with the pad, which is what was causing the trigger to not break).

We had 8 rounds left in the box of ammo so I loaded 7 into the tube and put one in my hoodie's marsupial pocket. I proceeded to blaze away and had a couple more problems with the trigger, so when I emptied the tube, I fed that last round into the breach, closed the action and put the gun on safe. I'm a southpaw, so at the time for me to put the gun on safe, I pushed across with my shooting (left) hand - to take it off safe (on fire), I had to wrap my fingers around the trigger guard to disengage it.

My buddy walked up to me and I told him about the problem I was having. I was holding the shotgun at about port arms, with the muzzle of the 18.5" barrel right by my right ear. I told him I was pressing the trigger and nothing would happen, and I wanted to show him - now at this point I KNEW that a round was in the breech and KNEW I didn't want the gun to fire, so I thought - PUT IT ON SAFE. Problem - it was already on safe. I pressed on the safety with my left index finger, but it didn't budge - so I figured "oh I guess it goes the other way" - reached around with my finger, took it OFF safe (unknowingly) and pressed the trigger.

Thank God my muffs were still on, but I dropped the shotgun to the deck and jumped about 3 yards back. Most scared I've ever been at a range. Nobody was hurt and the birdshot was only #8 so I don't think the AD into the air caused any serious harm, but I've gotta say that scared the mess out of me.

I took the gun home, cleaned it, called Benelli and requested they reverse the safety for me to be correct for a lefty. I shipped the gun out and got it back in about 2 weeks with a safety that now presses across from the left to FIRE, as it should (for my use).

I've never forgotten which way is which since, and I ALWAYS make sure the breach is clear, visually and by touch (if possible), 2 or 3 times before I press the trigger for any reason, even if I THINK the gun is on safe.

tuckerdog1
July 15, 2008, 02:14 PM
Was once paying too much attention to making a good shot, and not enough attention to controlling the recoil of a FA 454. Gun came back, and the hammer spur hit me right between the eyebrows. Had blood running down my face & broke my favorite pair of shooting glasses. Had a mark on my forehead that looked like the hammer for about a week.

Also, had to re-learn that you don't put any part of your hand up next to the front of a revolver cylinder. Lucky that was with a 357, and only had a nice burn. If it had been the 454, I might have one less digit.

Tuckerdog1

NotSoFast
July 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
My worst injury has been a skinned knuckle on my left hand from getting too high on the slide with it.

My worst day was cleaning my Mini-14 and having a patch hang up in the bore. Not having a rod available I had to pack up the Mini for the day. I still had my pistol though, so the say was not lost. When I got home it was a simple case of rodding the barrel to get the wedged patch out.

Rugerlvr
July 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
My worst day was cleaning my Mini-14 and having a patch hang up in the bore. Not having a rod available I had to pack up the Mini for the day.

How did you get a patch in the bore without a rod?

NotSoFast
July 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
"How did you get a patch in the bore without a rod?"

I was using the Otis kit with the pull through cable. The patch came off midway down the barrel even though I had secured it the way you're supposed to. :(

Old Fud
July 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
I was teaching my girl friend how to shoot, using a semi-auto pistol.
She crossed her thumbs behind the slide.
I stopped her before she could fire, and showed her how to hold her left hand with thumb forward of right thumb, both pointing at the target.

When she fired, the bottom edge of the slide slit her left thumb wide open.

I still feel badly about that.

Fud

P.S. She doesn't like semi-autos anyway. The way they fling brass around is just plain "rude".

SHavis
July 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
I have a few stories...
First: I was 11-12 years old at my uncle Red's farm. He had a problem with too many turtles in his pond and asked if I'd go down an erradicate them. SURE!! I said. He, my Dad, and I walked down to the pond, Uncle Red carrying what I thought was a really cool deer rifle. He chambered the round for me and said the turtles will peek up for air and a look around in s few minutes and handed me the rifle. A few minutes later, sure enough, there's a turtle. I line up the scope (it had a cool round circle in the recticle) and pull the trigger. I'm sure I got the turtle. Uncle Red though it would be neato (and funny...always the practicle joker!) to get a turtle with a .460 Weatherby Mag. I only got the one, though. I think I still have a bruse.

Second, and a little more serious: Dad and I were at the pistol range, again me being early teenager. We are shooting the Colt 1911 (I still have!) and a few misc revolvers all alone during the weekday. A guy wanders up to a lane taking what appears to be a brand new big (model 29?) revolver out of the box and a couple boxes of ammo. After he affixed his target and the range went live (no range master, just us) he pointed that big gun down range, lit one off and solidly whacked himself in the forehead with the rear site. He never looked over at us. Just packed up his gun and ammo and walked out. I'm just guessing here, but I bet he traded that back in.

KiltedClaymore
July 15, 2008, 06:01 PM
saw a dude (yuppy) try and impress his friends by one-hand firing a .50AE with a red dot. that red dot smacked into his skull, and he went down. lots of blood

Cosmoline
July 15, 2008, 08:53 PM
Not long after he was sent on his way from the Division.

Probably working for MSNBC as a combat expert now!

tn-dave
July 15, 2008, 09:23 PM
Stapled my finger through the back side of the target; learned not to do that again

Me too..The first thing I remembered when I read the title

Aren't we all
July 16, 2008, 08:48 PM
With the exception of Jard's linked article staplings, powder burns and hot cases:eek: and DWARREN123"s near miss you guys are luckier than me (I've had to dig shot out of my arm):neener:

murph50
July 16, 2008, 08:56 PM
When I got my P3at I had a slight mental lapse on the first shot and crossed my thumbs behind the slide.I had been shooting a revolver and forgot to change my grip. Nice little gash and it bled real good too. I won't do that again.
Other than that --I've gotten a sore trigger finger a few times when I shoot too much at the range

ufstuddmuffin
July 16, 2008, 08:57 PM
i've caught a few casings in the collar of my polo... a nice dance and jig later and everything is back to normal

KiltedClaymore
July 16, 2008, 09:17 PM
while working at a shooting range, my boss shot me with a staple gun in the hand. does that count? worse thing was, it was on purpous(spelling?)

BridgeWalker
July 16, 2008, 09:32 PM
All these stale and paper cut injuries! I've thus far been able to avoid the hazards of staple guns and paper targets.

I have gotten pretty dehydrated on a hot day.

But sadly, the past couple of months, powder fumes and cigarette smoke have given me a lot of asthma problems when shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Worst injuries\days at the range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!