.45 LC Single Action for "defense" ?

PDA

wditto
July 13, 2008, 06:00 PM
just wondered, does anyone still use a single-action .45 LC (or even .44) for a home defense nitestand pal ?
I say still, as most everyone did a hundred years ago, when I was just a kid, so does anyone now ?
I may try it.....

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 LC Single Action for "defense" ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 13, 2008, 06:02 PM
No reason not too if you know how to use one well.

I can think of a lot worse guns to have on hand.

rcmodel

nalioth
July 13, 2008, 06:06 PM
...beats a sharp stick and harsh words. . .

Claude Clay
July 13, 2008, 06:12 PM
a dark, quiet house....a shottie being pumped, a SAA being cocked; both are very strong non-verbal statements to the intruder. and a 45LC is easier on the home owners ears than a 9 or 45 acp.

Taptaps
July 13, 2008, 06:22 PM
I'd echo the "beats a sharp stick" comment. Wouldn't be my choice, but certainly effective if you are proficient.

mtngunr
July 13, 2008, 06:26 PM
I carry one frequently, but carry a 1911 more just due to it being flatter....the .45 Colt shoots a heavier bullet at least as fast as an ACP round....the first shot is just as fast as anything out there...if you know what you're doing, the next four or five can be pretty fast, too, about as fast as you can recover from a .45 Colt round, anyhow....need to solve the problem with 5-6 shots, though....but, as Bill Jordan said, something along the lines of, "if you haven't solved your problem with six shots, what makes you think things are going to get better with another six?"

Coyote Hunter
July 13, 2008, 06:35 PM
I use Single actions a lot due to Western Reenacting and live shoots. I carried both revolvers and semi autos in my LEO career. I carry a Colt .45 SSA 5 1/2 every day on the farm and have a short barrel shopkeeper for concealed. Now, honestly I carry a 1911 when I go to the city, beacuse I'm dressed a little more civil than out here in my cartharts and boots and it hides easier under light clothes.

I have no problem being competent with both. I've even carried a uberti colt navy or remington .44 cap and ball in the woods for defense, only because I know what they can do in the right hands.

Marlin 45 carbine
July 13, 2008, 06:37 PM
some years back I fell on hard times (divorce) and the only guns I had were a Ruger Old Army .45 BP revolver, an H&R break-open 12ga mag and a Ruger MkII.
with my black lab sleeping outside near the window and the Ruger and others nearby I didn't lose any sleep.

mtngunr
July 13, 2008, 06:44 PM
I've carried an Old Army, too, just because....with a 147gr softball over as much FFFFg priming powder as could be fit in the chamber, it's like shooting a pre-expanded .357 mag bullet that just gets bigger....also, one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever owned. Most will do 1"/25yds with no problem.

BigBlock
July 13, 2008, 06:44 PM
My big, bad, SA Blackhawk in .44 is my "go to" gun. I sleep next to it and carry it openly when I can. I don't consider myself to be that good of a shot, I have bad vision, and my hands aren't very steady....but I can put six 240 grain slugs into a torso sized target just about as quick as a double action .38 special. And then I can yell "yeehaw" when I'm done. ;)

MCgunner
July 13, 2008, 06:47 PM
I carry one afield a lot. Nothing wrong with using a .45 single action for defense. I mean, I wouldn't carry one if I was a cop, but just for personal defense, it'd get the job done. I've never been a mall ninja, though I do own a few autos.

The single actions, other than my mini revolver which don't count, aren't very concealable. I tried to put the Blackhawk in an IWB once, nearly pulled my pants down to my ankles. LOL I'll stick to J frames and subcompact autos for carry.

mavracer
July 13, 2008, 07:03 PM
I did an experiment a couple weeks ago and locked up all the 1911,AR and the 870 and put my Cimmaron trio SAA,1873 winchester and coach gun.
and I slept like a baby

Jim March
July 13, 2008, 07:04 PM
My daily carry is a Ruger New Vaquero in 357.

wditto
July 13, 2008, 08:06 PM
thanks guys, great confirmation -
hey, MCgunner, PLEASE do not send PHOTOS of THAT !!! - ha - say, how's the heat out in Big Bend ? I spent 30 years in Texas, burnt lke a tater-tot , retired and moved to the Smokies , great weather !
thanks again
dit

MCgunner
July 13, 2008, 08:20 PM
Big Bend? Ask Art. That's about 500 mile and at 4 bucks a gallon, ah, even on a motorcycle I don't wanna spend it. LOL I'm on the coast up about 85 miles from Corpus Christi by the placid blue waters of Lavaca Bay. Right now, it's hotter'n HELL, then there's the humidity. 100 degrees is bad enough leavin' out the 80 percent humidity! The bend would be a relief! LOL Fishin's better here, though. Desert to plains to piney woods to coastal marsh. But, that's Texas, a whole 'nuther country.:D

rdrancher
July 13, 2008, 09:14 PM
My daily carry is a Ruger New Vaquero in 357.

Jim, I'd love to see a photo of your setup strapped on. I tried a Blackhawk in a Mernickle a few times but just couldn't get it to feel comfortable.

rd

Colt46
July 13, 2008, 09:38 PM
If you want to use it for that purpose you need to put in a lot of range time. Use a premium bullet and you probably won't need to hit your target more than once. Great thing about the .45 is it won't ever get smaller than, well, .45 when we're talking terminal ballistics.

redneckrepairs
July 13, 2008, 09:49 PM
If you have it and its the only pistol you can afford it will do fine ( using the hammer as the " safety " in an auto) . If you have other options tho it likely should not be your first choice, no more than it has been for gun handlers both LE and military since the close of the century before last .

LightningMan
July 13, 2008, 10:57 PM
If it were me and all I had was a SAA, I would NOT have the gun cocked but have my thumb on the hammer at all times so I could cock it in an instant. Lets say its late at night when there's noises that awake you, with your mind racing, your adrinline going, maybe even scared, and whatever else you may experance when things go bump in the night, you could by accident pull the trigger. Especially a SAA that's had an action job as some can be very light. My own SAA's have about a 1 1/2 pound trigger pull, and IMHO thats way to light for a tense setting. That's my opinion, but if you know how to handle a SAA, nothing wrong it as it can get the job done. LM

Catherine
July 13, 2008, 11:35 PM
Yes, I use a Ruger Blackhawk in 45Colt aka long colt for self defense.

I don't belong to SASS, nothing wrong with it though, and I don't consider my single actions ONLY for 'playing cowboy' as some people think of S/A Revolvers.

I am very good with my 45Colt, for self defense, as I am with my other single actions and 'other guns'.

I PREFER single actions in 45Colt and in 22LR.

I like them in 357Magnum/38Special Plus P but I do NOT own a single action in that caliber. Only in 45Colt and in 22LR. They are sweet in 44 caliber but I don't own a 44 in single action. We sold our D/A 44s in S&W Model 29-2 and 29-3. We don't own any 44s at this time.

Would I trust my 45Colt for self defense shooting? YES!

Catherine

calaverasslim
July 13, 2008, 11:47 PM
I own 4 Rugers, 2 USFAs, 44-40 Gunslinger, 5.5" and Rodeo, same cal with a 4.75" barrel. I have 4 Colts, 2 45's, 44-40, and a 44 special, all with 4.75" barrels. Shoot em all several times a week to maintain proficiency.

My go to gun is the 5.5" Gunslinger. Sleeps with me and rides with me and is always handy. Answer your question? :D

Matt-J2
July 14, 2008, 01:21 AM
SA revolvers aren't much slower for me to cock and shoot than a pump shotgun is, so I reckon speed isn't really going to be be issue here.
Only worry I would have is remembering to cock it before the first shot, but I suppose that's what training is for, isn't it?

zxcvbob
July 14, 2008, 01:47 AM
The one gun I keep loaded in the house is a .38 Special with 158 grain SWCHP's. I have a .45 Colt ruger blackhawk, and I would actually be *more* comfortable using it for HD except it's too big to fit in the hidey-hole where I keep the gun stashed. If I had maybe a New Vaquero with a 4 5/8" barrel, you bet I'd use it (it would fit.) I shoot single-action by default -- I have to really concentrate to shoot a revolver double-action cuz my thumb wants to cock the hammer reflexively. One shot with a 250 grain soft lead bullet at 900 to 1000 fps should take the fight out of a BG quicker than 2 shots with a .38 or 9mm.

These bullets make a cute little daisy almost 2" in diameter when they hit a steel target. I pick 'em up after I finish shooting and melt 'em down to use again. They should do something similar (just not as much) if they hit a bone. If they only hit soft tissue, they should still make a half inch hole all the way through... from any angle.

foghornl
July 14, 2008, 12:13 PM
My "bedside table companion" is a Springfield 1911-A1 'GI-45' model, but yeah, for many years my revolvers were all single-actions...Bearcat, Single Six, Blackhawk, Vaquero, and some no-name knock-offs.

While probably not the best choice for fending off Atilla The Huns' Thundering Herd, the SA revolver will do its part if you do yours.

Z71
July 14, 2008, 03:46 PM
I have a higher grade Uberti 4 3/4" .45 Colt clone. Have been shooting it a lot and reloading for it too.

I carry it around in the truck quite a bit. Like John Wayne would say, "wouldn't be scared of no booger man with a big old pistol like that"!

Probably a lot better choices out there. But then the old .45 Colt has an excellent reputation as an effective manstopper.

I discovered that if you shoot my not so old Uberti clone enough, can achieve supurb accuracy.

jim147
July 14, 2008, 04:38 PM
MY XD45 has became my bedroom gun. But I stll carry my SAA 45 around when I'm out working and keep it on the other end of the house from the bedroom. You never know where you'll be when something goes bump.

Coyote Hunter
July 15, 2008, 10:12 PM
I love looking at all the folks from the western states talking about their old SA .45's. I'd hate to see a hoodie gang member with his "gangsta hold" on a $99.00 9mm against a good old SA user who had confidence in their ability. Ol' Wyatt said accuracy is everything, and we know we must be accurate!

CH

theotherwaldo
July 15, 2008, 10:51 PM
I don't have anything in .45 lc but the only time that I had to defend home and hearth with a handgun, the handgun in question was a Navy Arms '58 Remington.

It did the job.

vwfool
July 16, 2008, 09:59 AM
I am glad to know that I am not the only nut that has an IWB holster for my SA. My pants don't fall down; however, I am also use to carrying 6 or 7 pounds worth of wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. in my jean pockets every day at work.

On a side note, to further show my devotion:uhoh: to old west era firearms, I had to carry it the last time I went and saw a western in the theater. Nice warm day, 3:10 to Yuma, shorts, t-shirt, and a 45LC 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley IWB. I know, I know...it is a lot easier to conceal my Bond Arms 45LC, but where is the fun in that!

MCgunner
July 16, 2008, 12:05 PM
Well, I'll add this. If we EVER get open carry in this state and I have occasion to open carry, my .45 Blackhawk will get better leather and be one of my faves for such. I'm actually faster out of leather with a single action, and up close, it points better for me and any of my DAs due to grip shape. I don't know that we'll ever get open carry, though, and I wouldn't carry that way very often anyway. I believe in the value of surprise in combat situations, though a big .45 Colt is mighty intimidating to potential predators. :D

KBintheSLC
July 16, 2008, 07:36 PM
I see no problem with it... just roll up some hot hand loads and put the round in the right place. Easily a one shot stopper if you do your job.

wheelgunslinger
July 16, 2008, 07:47 PM
I carried an old model Bisley Vaquero in 45 lc for a long time.
Open Carry, HD, varmints, etc.

I rolled my own back in those days and made some HOT loads for it. I was a devotee of Seyfried and his ilk (gun writers) and didn't stop hotrodding it until I was out of things to tweak.

Practice with it, and make sure you can do the draw-and-cock with your eyes closed.

6 rounds of 45lc will ruin just about anyone's day.

RugerSAFan
July 16, 2008, 07:56 PM
My first cc firearm was a Ruger 3 3/4" Birdshead Vaquero .45lc. I loved shooting it, but have to be selective with clothing if carrying concealed, especially in liberal Fairfax County, Virginia. It did work pretty well on the motorbike tucked into chaps.

A joy to shoot. Supposedly Freedom Arms made a shortened barrell 45lc. Always wanted a Freedom Arms revolver...

wheelgunslinger
July 16, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'd like a Freedom Arms revolver too. Particularly the stubby little one that Jeff reviews on Gunblast. Big$$$ but big quality too.

Some great reading:

http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom-Options.htm

http://www.sixguns.com/range/Fattpp.htm

Sistema1927
July 16, 2008, 08:22 PM
If all that I had at hand was my 3.75" Birdshead Vaquero in .45 Colt, I would not feel undergunned.

kmrcstintn
July 16, 2008, 11:29 PM
here's a few eye openers for ya: back in 2002, I took a CCW prep class in TN with a coworker who used a Ruger Super Blackhawk SA w/ 7 1/2" barrel loaded with PMC 240gr .44 SPL LSWC's; the rest of us had a mixed bag of varied DA revolvers, SA semiautos, DA/SA semiautos, and DAO semiautos... we had holes in the target with a discernible pattern developing toward the center & he had one large ragged hole in the center

one of my hunting buddies inherited his grandfathers stainless Ruger SBH SA w/ 7 1/2" barrel & MagnaPorts; his only other change was to replace the custom wood stocks with Hogue Rubber Monogrips (WOW what a difference); he is a damned good shot & that is his primary sidearm for the hunting camp...which includes .44 spl 240gr LSWC's for loading while inside the house

I just bought myself a 1976 vintage Ruger SBH w/ 7 1/2" barrel; I will follow suit (changing stocks), but use Hornady 180gr .44 SPL XTP jhp's

common theme...Single Action Revolvers shooting ammo similar to .45 Colt

Mat, not doormat
July 17, 2008, 09:15 PM
I've shot both SASS and IHMSA with various single actions. I can hit, and hit fast with one. How often do I use one for defense? Once. Through a strange combination of circumstances, I once found myself with several guns to choose from, and several kinds of ammo to choose from. Only trouble was, the only ammo in said selection that matched up with any gun in said selection was a half box of .44 Spl, LRNs at about 900 fps, which matched one of my .44 Mag Super Blackhawks, with 7.5" bbl. That was my carry gun that day, until I got the ammo situation straightened out.

IMO, an SA is "good enough." Other guns are better for the job, however. See my sig line for details.

LeonCarr
July 17, 2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah I guess a 255 grain bullet at 800-900 fps would work pretty good for home defense :).

I have a buddy whose only handgun is a 7.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk (more of a pure hunter guy than a shooter I guess). It is brutally accurate, and it is on his person everytime he goes to the woods.

It'll work :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

mavracer
July 18, 2008, 12:16 AM
found this in midways cust. review it's talking about using the 250 speer gold dot which is much like a 135+p 38 special on steroids.
I've also taken 10 deer with this bullet combination and the results on game are devastating. These bullets will literally rip a 2-3" diameter wound channel through any deer-sized game and to date, I have never had to track a single animal. All shots have also been complete pass-throughs and they leave baseball sized exit wounds. I would also imagine that they stay together because even though I've never recovered one, I've never found any copper or metal in any of the animals upon field dressing.

Bezoar
July 18, 2008, 12:33 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with this fine combination. Nothing at all wrong with it.

Most of the better options in 45 colt for self defense work also make for decent use for deer hunting. And that kind of multi purpose ammunition should be a good selling point in my opinion.

foghornl
July 18, 2008, 12:40 PM
And just to be sort of a contrary guy, many years back, I carried a CVA reproduction of the 1858 "Army Remington"...yeah a blackpowder cap-n-ball revolver. Bought it as a finish-it-yourself-kit-gun for $40.

A very soft pure lead ball driven by 30-Gr of Pistol Pyrodex from a 7-1/2" barrel....would put a serious hurtin' on whatever got hit. Only drew it once..but you shoulda seen the miscreants face after I finally got it pointed his way...

Cocked & Locked
July 18, 2008, 09:09 PM
Probably not optimum for the job, but not bad :scrutiny:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/317263137.jpg

Rexster
July 20, 2008, 12:13 AM
For a while, when dealing with some wrist/hand issues, I wore braces on both wrists while sleeping. These braces made it impossible to get a firing grip on a double-stack duty pistol, but I could lock right onto an SAA with no problems, so the nightstand gun for a while was a USFA China Camp.

There was one occasion when I had my duty pistol broken down for detail cleaning, when I suddenly remembered an appointment to meet a friend at a local steakhouse. Rather than be late, I quickly washed my hands, got dressed, and stuck the China Camp SAA in my waistband, while wearing a sturdy belt. I dropped five spare cartridges into my pocket.

Well, wouldn't y'all know, two gang-banger-looking young males drive into the parking lot, giving us looks that indicated we were being sized up for upcoming festivities. Did I worry about the inadequacy of my weapon? No, I knew I could shoot it well enough. I was thinking that my chief was going to drop me into the grease for using an unauthorized (but legal) weapon, but that was a fleeting thought. Fortunately, predators recognized predators, and they drove away. My friend is also a police officer, and was armed, but I did not feel any need to "let him handle it" just because I was carrying a 19th-Century weapon. I was ready to put rounds where necessary, if necessary.

KiltedClaymore
July 20, 2008, 12:18 AM
man, the .45lc killed alot of people in the 19th century, it can and will do the same in the 21st century. people haven't gotten tougher or harder to kill since then.

ragtopdog
July 20, 2008, 01:31 AM
.45 LC
use a 255grn. keith type bullet with about 7grn. unique but a soft casting and a gas check

ragtopdog
July 20, 2008, 01:34 AM
.45LC ? 255GRN Kieth type of soft lead with 7 GRN unique with a gas check. Makes a mess of deer at 25 yards.

ragtopdog
July 20, 2008, 01:39 AM
.45 LC
use a 255grn. keith type bullet with about 7grn. unique but a soft casting and a gas check

zxcvbob
July 20, 2008, 02:40 AM
Why would you use a gas check? 7grn of Unique is a pretty mild load (it'll get the job done) so it shouldn't lead much even with dead soft bullets.

TallPine
July 20, 2008, 12:40 PM
I've been "shooting" single actions since I was a wee little tyke (cap guns). Thumbing back a hammer is as natural for me as breathing.

My .45 (old) Vaquero load is 250g hardcast over 10g Unique (exactly twice what I load in my .38/.357 practice loads ;) ). I don't carry the Vaquero every day (hardly at all, actually) just because of the weight.

I'm really thinking about going the "Jim March" route and getting a (new) Vaquero in .357 for my daily carry. Nothing at all wrong with my old Security Six, but I just prefer the look and feel of single actions.

I do most of my practicing with a Single Six (.22) so the Vaquero would make more sense as a carry gun.

ragtopdog
July 20, 2008, 02:36 PM
when using a soft lead you need a gas check so that the powder gasses do not "cut" bye the base, and it keeps the base also from expanding too much before going into the forcing cone. This is only a defense round that is good for plinking too. I hunt with 300grn xtp's and 25grn 2400 or lil' gun. Gets of job done every time.

zxcvbob
July 20, 2008, 03:23 PM
I'm really thinking about going the "Jim March" route and getting a (new) Vaquero in .357 for my daily carry. Nothing at all wrong with my old Security Six, but I just prefer the look and feel of single actions.

I'm not sure, but I think the .45 new Vaquero is a few ounces lighter than the .357. Just something you might wanna check out.

TallPine
July 20, 2008, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure, but I think the .45 new Vaquero is a few ounces lighter than the .357. Just something you might wanna check out.

Yeah, probably is - bigger holes in the same size cylinder.

Edit: but the .45 would weigh more loaded, correct ?

But a .357 is plenty adequate and a lot cheaper to practice with and stockpile ammo for.

That, and the "new" .45 Vaquero can't handle the high pressure loads. I don't really want to run the risk of ever mixing up the .45 ammo that I have on hand :uhoh:

thunder173
July 21, 2008, 10:53 AM
I own a few Ruger SA's,...and consider myself quite capable of using them all in a defensive role, though I mostly use them for field carry and hunting. I occasionally strap one of them on and open carry for a defensive carry role in other situations as well. As far as a home defense role,...yes,...my short barrel .44 Super Blackhawk stays loaded with Speer 200 Grain Gold Dot's in .44 Special,....something about that big hole in the end of a short barrel that allows the BG to be able to SEE the bullet.......

FEG
July 21, 2008, 12:56 PM
As I said in the parallel thread in General Handguns, gateloading makes this a really bad idea. It is as slow as molasses.

Additionally, an older SAA may have to be carried on an empty chamber, which means you are limited to five cartridges before trying to eject and load via the gate.

An SAA beats nothing, but I'd take virtually any other firearm chambered in a legitimate service cartridge over one.

Zip7
July 21, 2008, 01:46 PM
As I said in the parallel thread in General Handguns, gateloading makes this a really bad idea. It is as slow as molasses.

Additionally, an older SAA may have to be carried on an empty chamber, which means you are limited to five cartridges before trying to eject and load via the gate.

An SAA beats nothing, but I'd take virtually any other firearm chambered in a legitimate service cartridge over one.

That's why back in the day they had one on each hip, and a lever gun full too!

Matt-J2
July 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
For home defense, the ability to reload quickly is the least of my concerns. My apt is so small that if I can see you to shoot you, then you can get to me faster than I can reload if my first set of rounds didn't get the job done.
I'm not even sure I'd have a reload on my person after being wrenched awake by home invader noises, most likely just be underpants and weapon.

It certainly depends, of course, but know the space you're working with and plan accordingly.

jjohnson
July 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
Well, I have a fondness for the big "horse pistols." I'm fairly good with my 7 1/2 Ruger Convertible 45ACP & 45 Colt, but it doesn't stay on the nightstand. That's usually occupied by a 1911.

That being said, if I didn't have any sort of centerfire handgun or shotgun to put under the bed, I'd certainly leave the 45 Colt cylinder in the Ruger stuffed with proper hunting loads - either JHP factory or Keith style SWCs. Just because there are "more modern" irons out there does not mean the big wheelgun is any less effective than back in the days of the "Old West.":what:

wheelgunslinger
July 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
For home defense, the ability to reload quickly is the least of my concerns.
Well, sure. The buck and thunder of a big bore wheelgun being fired at night inside is really pretty impressive. And, so is the fact that you can see those big bullets inside the cylinder, if you're looking down the business end (if you have enough light).

But try to remember that people used the SAA way back when because it was really the best choice possible. Like the CZ85 of its day. :neener:

Jim March
July 21, 2008, 03:14 PM
That, and the "new" .45 Vaquero can't handle the high pressure loads. I don't really want to run the risk of ever mixing up the .45 ammo that I have on hand

There's a LOT of merit to this approach.

I went with 357 because, well, I'm often on a budget and it's cheaper to feed. I can also get what I need done, done in 357 just fine. Partial ammo compatibility with my 38 snubbie was also a factor.

FEG
July 21, 2008, 03:30 PM
Just because there are "more modern" irons out there does not mean the big wheelgun is any less effective than back in the days of the "Old West."

Really big rocks dropped from a height are also just as effective today as they were 6,000 years ago. That doesn't mean that I plan to suspend really big rocks over all points of ingress to my home...

Realistically, you are better off with a SAA in .45 Colt than a "modern" pocket pistol in almost any situation. Obviously, an SAA is great for big critters that aren't going to return fire.

However, the SAA is outmoded for personal defense. Generally, the sights are crude and hard to see in the dark, and the gateloading is a major liability. When you start comparing a SAA to a DA revolver with a swing-out cylinder, then there's no comparison.

Could a SAA save your life? Heck, yes. As I said, I would take one over a .32 auto any day. Still, just because it works doesn't make it the best tool for the job.

As another poster mentioned, people used the SAA because it was the best tool available for the job at the time. Notice how many infamous gunfighters used S&Ws rather than the SAA as soon as DA became available (i.e. John Wesley Hardin).

Gary A
July 21, 2008, 04:17 PM
I dunno, just some thoughts on this. Seems like for many people, the primary use for handguns is for sport and pleasure. If one enjoys shooting single-action revolvers and spends most of their handgunning sessions shooting such guns, it makes sense to me to then rely on those guns if and when they are necessary to protect life and limb. If one spends most practice time with one sort of firearm, it seems counter-productive to then depend on another type of firearm for home defense. Of course, one could devote the lion's share of practice with a weapon purchased and fired solely for defensive purposes, but then resources of both time and money are spent doing something apart from the particular reason someone got into the pleasurable activity anyway. I used to buy and shoot guns with the idea that they were first and foremost defensive weapons. Over time, I gradually began to buy and shoot those "weapons" that most appealed to me. Ultimately, I began to reason that while a single-action revolver was not the optimum home defense weapon, it would, in fact, serve quite well in any realistic scenario I could envision short of invasion by the body snatchers or Geronimo leaving the reservation. I have single and double action revolvers and shoot them both passably well. For a "truck gun", clearly the double-action is superior because around here the weapon must be unloaded to be legal, meaning regular practice with a speedloader. But in the home, I feel any of my single-actions are more than adequate to give me a chance to get to my shotgun. My personal solution to the caliber issue is a convertible .45 taking advantage of the great selection and much better pricing of .45 acp ammunition. I like my .357s but a 230 grain bullet traveling subsonically at 800-900 fps is a comforting home defense cartridge, IMO. I am not aware of anyone who has a contract out on me, nor of anyone who wants my TV bad enough mount a ninja-style assault on my humble abode. Around here, those who do commit such crimes tend to be punks who don't press the attack when they meet serious resistance. Of course, I could be dead wrong. :uhoh:

ArmedBear
July 21, 2008, 04:23 PM
See this...

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1114191195&channel=527501406

Zip7
July 21, 2008, 04:55 PM
But in the home, I feel any of my single-actions are more than adequate to give me a chance to get to my shotgun.

That's a good point - I'm no gunslinger, but I've been shooting SA all my life, and I think I'm good enough with one to clear a path to the nearest shotgun. Once I get to that shotgun, the party's all but over... So reloading through the gate is not an issue for me - cause I will be loading the shotgun instead.

I'd add that if there is a problem in my home that five 45 colt rounds can't solve, then it's a bigger problem than I can even imagine - And I would consider retreating at that point anyway - shotgun in hand of course...

FEG
July 21, 2008, 11:40 PM
It sounds like we are just going in circles.

General Consensus: They will work.

Unspoken Qualifier: There may be better fighting handguns available.

Gary A
July 22, 2008, 12:40 AM
General Consensus: They will work.

Unspoken Qualifier: There may be better fighting handguns available.

Correct on both counts, I think.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 LC Single Action for "defense" ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!