The Clunker Photo

PDA

kBob
July 14, 2008, 11:10 AM
If everything worked there should be an attached photo of The Clunker.

Finally found an ancient battery that would take a charge this am and dashed out to get the morning light.

I did some fence work over the week end and it gave me the idea for this layout. I call it, "Gone Swimming at the Stock Pond"

The staples and posts are some products from the fence chores, the knife was made by a friend as one of his earlist kit attempts, the figs came off one of my trees close to the picture site and the hankies out of my hip pocket and glove box of the truck......and of course, The Clunker.

Man, am I going to be embarrassed if this doesn't work!

-Bob Hollingsworth

If you enjoyed reading about "The Clunker Photo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Voodoochile
July 14, 2008, 11:20 AM
A fine looking piece you have there.

shevrock
July 14, 2008, 11:38 AM
That's a really nice looking gun.

mykeal
July 14, 2008, 01:41 PM
Nice gun and picture both.

The staples are a bit lost on the red cloth; I'd have put them on the wood plank above the gun so they'd stand out better.

But, excellent idea about composition and very nice execution with lighting.

kBob
July 14, 2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys, complamients are always welcome....

....as are constructive critisisms of my photography.:)

Thanks mykeal. I considered using some of the new staples but thought the rusty ones may look more rustic as well as rusty. I have galvanized staples and also was concerned that they might be a bright annoyance and distract attention from the subject. Almost did that with the fence tool. Somewhere I have a fence tool that is smaller and age browned but gosh if I know where!

Photo was best of five as I was in a hurry to get the shots.

Here are the next bests, including a shot from an angle.

-Bob Hollingsworth

arcticap
July 14, 2008, 05:29 PM
And here's the photo that kBob didn't want to show us of him cooling off down at the stock pond.
Now kBob, how do you call that swimming? :neener:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/380449659_0925b6f964.jpg?v=0

scrat
July 14, 2008, 09:53 PM
you know that really is not that bad

arcticap
July 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
BTW, I like the pictures too, especially the knife being in the background.
Could you show us the rest of the knife? :)

shevrock
July 14, 2008, 11:04 PM
That's a good way to get leeches. o.0

Packman
July 14, 2008, 11:23 PM
Nice pics, but just a thought...I know it's a knife, because a) you said so, and b) I look at a lot of knives, but you sort of lose the point (no pun intended) by not showing the whole knife. I'd say back out a bit next time. Or maybe move the knife down to an angle instead of vertical. Diagonals are dynamic, after all. (Oh, if only my photo teacher could hear me now.)

kBob
July 14, 2008, 11:48 PM
Well like I said it was one of Bill's earlist metal projects, like when he was in college....he recently retired from the USAF and is a manufacture oth things requiring federal tax stamps today and does much better work. The grip does not look as nice regaurding how it is attached as one might hope. I have considered camaflauging his efforts with shortened cutlery rivets glued (epoxied)over his screws.

If I get another chance to play with the camera this week, I will try to post a picture or two featuring it.

-Bob Hollingsworth

kBob
July 15, 2008, 11:50 AM
Since folks asked here is a shot of the knife from the earlier photos.

I believe the knife was a "kit" or "parts" from Jantz Supply. He originally cold blued the blade, but appearently did only one coat on a cold or room temperature balde. I have used it to dig in the garden with, cut weeds with, cut a couple of pieces of fence wire, and split kindling. The grips are smooth and very broomstick feeling and slick. He appearently used epoxy of some sort to fill the holes the bolt and nuts used to hold the thing together required. The wood is pretty and I think he said they are actually rosewood. The knife usually stays near the fireplace for last minute slitting for fire starting. The sheath is not shown as it is a crude nylon affair. I have been "gonna" cutt up some old boots in the shop for about fifteen years and cobble up some sort of leather holder for it. Been playing with a stitching awl of late repairing some horse stuff and belts.

To keep it Black Powder and prevent folks from yelling "Knife! Take it to Non Firearms Weapons!" I have included a black powder cartridge revolver. It is a pinfire 9mm of Euro make that at some point wsa perverted.....um, converted to .38 SW. It was of course carried by a confederate officer of high reguard.:D Actually the story indicated the person that gave it to me ( as in here you might like this) had been told it was used by some ones great great in the War of Northern Aggression, then Great gave it to the field boss to reduce elmloyees fear of Rattlers and Cotton Mouths, that feild boss gave it to son, son could not find ammernition for it and had it locally converted, his son got drunk and grand pa took it away from him, removed the firing pin and gave it to the kids as a toy. If a word of it beyound that last phrase is true I would be amazed. Grip looks awful so its out of the shot.

The other stuff in the shot are pecans from my tree, a hoof pick for the horse and the wood plank "paving" infront of my polebarn. Light is natural morning and back lighting/fill was provided by hanging a white towel over a set of mounting block steps ( Susan needed steps to get up on the horse when expecting) just out of the picture. I continue to use the older Sony Cyber shot 1.3meg because I like it.

-Bob Hollingsworth

kBob
July 15, 2008, 11:54 AM
Blast during my longwinded post THR timed out and I dropped the attachment when resigning in.

Let's try again.

-Bob Hollingsworth

arcticap
July 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
You really know how to take a beautiful picture, especially by making it look like you used the knife to crack open that pecan.
Mmmmm, it looks mighty tasty too! :)

Maybe you shot those pecans right out of the tree with your revolver? Naw! That would be a waste of bullets. You must be hanging around that nut tree just to see if you can shoot a few pecan pilfering squirrels. :D

kBob
November 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
@#&**@#!!!!

Or words to that effect.

The new cylinder bolt stop dropped right in.

Worked with the gun broke down to the frame with other parts.

new trigger/bolt stop spring was too long to allow trigger to function.

trigger spring screw fit perfect.

Filed off a hair or two width of the trigger leg of the too long spring.

Worked by hand using thumb to put pressure on the hammer.

Assembled gun.

Hammer over rides trigger (but timing seems great, if all I want to do is slip shoot or fan and I don't do either)

Might I have ruined the temper on the trigger/ bolt spring with a few minutes of filing with a fine file?

Dixie Charged $7.50 P&H for those three parts. The billing folded to the same ssize as the parts envelope was thicker. The two specials news prints were MUCH larger and everything came in a 6x3x2 inch box

Over a quarter of the cost was shipping and handling.

-Bob Hollingsworth

mykeal
November 6, 2008, 08:52 PM
Might I have ruined the temper on the trigger/ bolt spring with a few minutes of filing with a fine file?

Nope.

kBob
April 4, 2009, 04:36 PM
Had a few minutes to drag out the clunker yesterday.

It appears that the bolt spring is to long on the bolt side as well in that it presses on the bolt very near the axis of the screw. I tried bending it but the hump in the spring still bares very close to the axis of the pin.

On closer examoination the bottom of the grip frame is shorter than the Cabela's 1851 brass .44, the frame is shorter, the cylinder is shorter.

As stated before other than italian proofs for year XXX the only unique marking is "COM" in a rectangle under the loading leaver on the lower barrel flat.

Possibly this is something I am not going to find parts for.......

I am considering cutting of the bolt spring hump and bending the dickens out of the resultant stub to place tension near the nose of the bolt directly under the bolt slot.

Suggestions?

-Bob Hollingsworth

NobleSniper
April 4, 2009, 04:47 PM
Is that a Breveat Lefachuex in the background with the knife??

whosyrdaddy
April 4, 2009, 05:22 PM
It appears that the bolt spring is to long on the bolt side as well in that it presses on the bolt very near the axis of the screw. I tried bending it but the hump in the spring still bares very close to the axis of the pin.

Based on this description, it sounds like you could have the spring installed upside down.

kBob
April 4, 2009, 08:08 PM
NobleSniper,

Its a 9mm and a Sybil Wurl Vet!

The LeFrog (that's what I call it) has seen better days. It naturally came with a no detail story of having been used in the War Between the States which is absolutly not provable.

The wood grips are con and replaced with what appears to be some sort of plastic, some one suggested it was melted clorox bottles poured into slugs and then filed down to more or less fit.

At some point it was "convereted to .38 S&W ( not Special the old top break favorite) and a hole drilled through the breech face which has since been wallowed out. The nose of the hammer was cut off and the hammer reshaped to appearently take a S&W type firing pin wna retaining screw ( missing) and the main spring is broken. Oddly the timing still seemed dead on when a sliver of popsicle stick was duct taped to the tewo halves of the spring to allow the gun to "function"

I keep meaning to whittle some better grips but have been discoraged with ever finding a workable replacement hammer and spring.

Oh and it is missing its lanyard ring.

The price was right. SOme one gave it too me.

If there is interst I might beable to do some photos in the future (comming week is spring break for the kids so I will be busy)

-Bob Hollingsworth

kBob
April 4, 2009, 08:14 PM
whosyrdaddy,

While I was born in Indiana my family quickly moved back to Florida.

Nope, the long flat side of the spring goes on the trigger side and the short side with the hump goes on the bolt side. Unless my other 1851 repro-not works with the spring backwards.

But I may try it backwards at this point......

-Bob Hollingsworth

Big Daddy Grim
April 4, 2009, 08:21 PM
looks real nice to me.

mykeal
April 4, 2009, 09:16 PM
Try replacing the trigger/bolt spring with this one:
Heinie SAA Trigger/Bolt Spring (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6875&title=SINGLE%20ACTION%20TRIGGER/BOLT%20SPRING)

bigbadgun
April 4, 2009, 09:33 PM
kBob glad to know im not the only one here in the swamp. I like that pistol and I really like that knife. Been looking for something like that for a while now for a rig I am building for myself.

fordlover35
April 4, 2009, 10:18 PM
WOW those are beautiful!

kBob
April 4, 2009, 11:33 PM
mykeal,

Thanks for the link. I actualy considered such a spring in the first place and then could not remember who made it or if it would work in most '51 clones.

While breakage of the spring of the original design is a major Colt problem ( high on the list of things that will fail in use) I had read somewhere that the wire model is near enough unbreakable to not worry about a spare, so it was appealing.

That makes me think I might post another question under a new heading, if not tonight then in the near future.

I am still concerned that the problem is that this no name revolver does not use a standard sized spring.

-Bob Hollingsworth

kBob
April 4, 2009, 11:40 PM
bigbad,

I think the appeal of the knife is its used look. Bill did not do a high polish on the blade while it was in work and that added a certain roughness, Then the light duty blueing allowed the actual use of the blade for digging, brush triming, kindling making, hammering and wire cutting made it look much more used than it was.

I have wondered if a single application of browning soulution to such a blade might allow similar "work aging" at an excellerated rate.

-Bob Hollingsworth

NobleSniper
April 5, 2009, 12:03 AM
Hello Bob, thats a neat piece. If you ever decide to get rid of the Lefachuex give me a holler :D Thanks, Craig

.45Guy
April 5, 2009, 11:00 AM
I have wondered if a single application of browning soulution to such a blade might allow similar "work aging" at an excellerated rate.

Here's an interesting thing I noticed. Back when our family farm was big into black raspberries, I'd use an old Barlow pocketknife to trim the first year canes. Doing this resulted in the blade taking on a rather glossy almost blued finish.

DrLaw
April 5, 2009, 04:16 PM
For some reason, the first thought I had was, if he had gone swimming, he was either wearing his clothes, or running around naked otherwise except for hankerchiefs! :neener:

The gun picture is okay, but the mental picture that comes up is anything but pretty! :what:

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Afy
April 6, 2009, 04:02 AM
So how do the figs taste

kBob
April 6, 2009, 09:04 AM
Afy,

The Brown Turkey Figs STILL taste great, since the spousal unit made wonderous strawberry fig perserves from them. When we moved here the owner/builder told us he never got many figs. I did some triming, mulched, watered and we have plenty every year since. Told us the pear tree was to old to make edible fruit, cleaned out missltoe, watered, and they ARE "sand pears" (hard roundis pears that get gritty or "sandy" if left o the tree too long but they make great pies and jellies)

The non productive grapes he had produced well when , you guessed it trimmed , mulched and watered. They currently have something that is weaking then and we made no jelly this past year, though we have jelly left over from the year before.

Now to keep on topic. Way up stream some one mentioned the possibility that I had shot pecans from my tree with The Clunker.

Actually shortly after I got its brother from Cabela's I was playing with shot loads of #7 1/2 shot dryer lint and over and under wads of stiff paper.

Rapidly found that if you loaded more thanone cylinder that recoil could unseat the over shot card. It did work after a fashion. I was interested in something more anti snake than a .22LR pistol with rat shot.

Near the end of this madness I had loaded but not capped in the shop and when I stepped out Mr, Bushy Tail was happily tasting my figs (on the tree, not me, nasty guys) The darned tree rats will bite a fig with any brown on it and tear it open, eat it if it is rip or ruin it if it is still a bit green. Whipping out my capper with a single cap in it I capped and let fly. Scared the squirrel....and likely ruined more fruit that he did.

of course I haven't seen a snake on the property since so word must have gotten around..........

-Bob Hollingsworth

kBob
June 13, 2009, 09:35 AM
THE CLUNKER IDENTIFIED......

AT LAST!!!!!

bprevolver has stated that the COM marking under the loading lever was a marking on ASM revovlers from Sile.

So The Clunker appears to be an ASM if this is correct.

Now does anyone know if ASM bras framed 1851 colts in .44 use parts of unusual size or shape.

My dad has decided he wants a working gun now rather than just a wall hanger (I thought guys in their late 70's were supposed to be set in their ways, not changable, etc.) so getting The Clunker working has become more important, though if it gets working and I like the way it shoots he may get something else.

Currently I installed the new bolt , got it to fit the bolt cuts and then found that the hand engages before the bolt drops free locking that thing up tighter than Ft. Knox. I loath attemptiong to polish the hand as I have never had luck with that.

Armi San Marcos, imagine that.

-kBob

kBob
August 18, 2011, 02:48 PM
Well as there now seems to be soe question as to whether C.O.M. is an ASM marking or not i did some measuring and I will now post a copy of what I just posted on Dr. Davis' BPRC board in the hopes of gaining enlightenment as to where and what parts I might need.

I recently did some measurements on the Klunker in the hopes of helping to ID the maker

I did the most obvious difference to me first. Measuring across the bottom of the grip from front to rear on a Pietta of not so long ago gave a measuremnt of 2.333 inches, but the Klunker only measures 2.067 the same way. While the Pietta seems to have a recurve or lessening of the curve as the backstrap nears the butt making a visual flair, theKlunker is straight.

As the hammer from a Pietta would not even go in the hammer slot of the Klunker I measured finding the Pietta hammer to be .331 inches wide and the Klunker hammer to be .314 inches wide.

The rebated Pietta cylinder (Both are brass .44s) was 1.989 inches long and the Klunker 1.828 inches long. Width across the front was 1.595 on the pietta and 1.569 on the Klunker.

Oddly the klunker had a larger in diameter arbor coming in at .434 inches compared to .430 on the Pietta.

Any help identifying actual maker and a source of appropriate parts would be appreciated.

-kBob

If you enjoyed reading about "The Clunker Photo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!