Blackhawk grips?

PDA

Bacardi151
July 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
Just shot my "new to me" Blackhawk 45 ACP/LC. Love it, but it seems too small in my hand. I wear large size gloves usually and have long fingers. My pinky ended up under the gun. Also seemed too narrow. Would the hogue monogrip be an improvement? This gun is a paper puncher only. Looks are not an issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blackhawk grips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
calaverasslim
July 14, 2008, 02:32 PM
IO have found that some after market grips do not increase the grips size. May I suggest that you call either Ajax grips or Eagle grips and talk to them? They can set you pretty well with eye appealing grips.

Ceemack
July 14, 2008, 04:12 PM
I've always had the same problem with the "traditional"-style grips on single-action revolvers. Apparently "traditional" is a code word for "puny".

The old Mustang company made very nice and very hand-filling grips for single-actions, and sometimes you can find them on eBay. Except for the size and the finger grooves, they kept a fairly traditional profile. I've still got an early-80s pair on my Single Six.

A Hogue monogrip would be a little thicker than the factory grip. It will definitely be longer.

Ajax and Eagle make grips that will be a little bigger than the Hogue.

Unlike the old Mustang grips, neither the Hogue, Ajax or Eagle target grips have profiles that are remotely traditional. You say that's not an issue, but you may change your mind after you see them. I find them not quite big enough, but I wear an XXL glove. You may find them adequate in terms of size.

Herrett's is another option. They'll make you a set of grips to measure--you actually send them a tracing of your hand. They're not cheap ($100 to $120) and it takes a couple of months to get them, but they might look a little more like they belonged on your gun. Sadly, their web site doesn't show any examples of their grips on SA revolvers.

bannockburn
July 14, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ceemak

I agree with you about the Mustang grips; I always thought they were the perfect size for my hand on a Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk frame. I would love to see some other manufacturer pick up that particular grip design and start making them again.

Bacardi151
July 15, 2008, 12:01 AM
These are sweet: http://www.herrett-stocks.com/tgtrevlr.htm couldn't find any mustangs tho...kept getting colt mustang.

bannockburn
July 15, 2008, 06:10 AM
Bacardi151

I know; I've been looking for Mustang grips for sometime now and still haven't seen any. A friend of mine has a pair on his Super Blackhawk and they truly make a world of difference when you're shooting.

ClemY
July 15, 2008, 12:19 PM
I have a number of NMBHs and use Eagle Gunfighter grips on all of them. Smooth for high recoil, checkered for low recoil.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blackhawk grips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!