A better shovel.

PDA

The Tourist
July 14, 2008, 07:07 PM
I've always toyed with the idea of getting a little shovel.

When my truck gets stuck in snow, you really don't need to dig the whole thing out. If you remove the snow from under the tranny and the pumpkin, and free up the wheels as much as possible, Granny-Low usually gets you out. A kid's sandbox shovel can actually do the trick.

I saw these Cold Steel Spetnaz shovels. A good idea, not something to wear into a 30% of the restaurants where I eat.

And honestly, we also want them for contact weapons.

Then I saw this Tomahawk Brand Survival Shovel from Amazon.com

Finally, and about time. For one, it's small enough to actually be there when you need it. You can disassemble it, and then fit it into its own little pouch, which fits easily into the glove box of a small car or inside my leather jacket!

It's a pick and a shovel, one side of the scoop is even serrated.

Perhaps not the best steel, but it is all steel except for the rubber grips.

It's light enough to swing as a contact weapon.

And for fifteen bucks it's disposable, or better yet, if a friend admires it, well then Happy Birthday.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/TheTourist_bucket/DSC00327.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "A better shovel." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
July 14, 2008, 08:19 PM
Looks like a useful size for a compact impact tool.

bikerdoc
July 14, 2008, 08:19 PM
we dont have much snow in so. va. but I want one for the console of the truck, my old G.I. entrenching tool is way too big

vicdotcom
July 14, 2008, 09:41 PM
It looks like a great and handy tool. I might even get one for my camping set to replace my folding spade. Do you know how much it weighs?

Vic

Joe Demko
July 14, 2008, 11:00 PM
Does Tomahawk actually make anything that will hold together when you need it? Everything I've ever seen from them was sub-flea market quality.

hso
July 14, 2008, 11:06 PM
Looks a bit like the Walther Folding Shovel that Kim Breed reviewed for Blade a couple of years ago.

kBob
July 14, 2008, 11:16 PM
Whether it fits the glove box or not I'll just hang onto my old Ames 1945 E-Tool.

One just like it was why I always laughed when as an Infantryman I was told to turn my sheath knife into the unit armory. We kept the nose and left side sharp on those things and they seemed to make great little battle axes. I even used one to convince on of my units dopers that he was not going to stick his bowie knife into a newbee who he claimed to be a rat. Actually it turned out the doper himself was the unit cheese eater and CID would turn him loose everytime he got caught so he could rat out someone else. What a jewel. At least he was smart enough to drop that knife and run rather than being hacked to goblets.

-Bob Hollingsworth

The Tourist
July 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
Do you know how much it weighs?

One of my ankle-high bike boots weighs about the same.

I do know this, when the petite little box came from Amazon, and I picked it off of the porch, I didn't know what was in it. I expected knives or books, but I never expected a shovel until I slit open the box.

If you were wilderness camping, one guy toting a camp axe, one guy toting the shovel, you guys would not be burdened down, at all.

Another point, equipment is only functional if you have it with you, we all know that. A guy buys a 1911 and winds up carrying a .380 ACP because he can have it handy. I feel the same way about knives and tools.

Let's say you buy this shovel. In the garden or lawn, it will last a lifetime. My wife saw mine and bought her own.

But let say you're out in the boonies. You smack this thing around, your buddy borrows it, or you use it for self defense. Part of it gets bent of the paint scratches off.

If I had a nice vacation, the shovel had been handy but now destroyed, is that really an important factor?

A sharpening friend of mine got trapped under a car and pinned to a ballistic nylon strap, and damaged his arm quite severly. He cut himself free with a 150 dollar custom neck knife--which he then lost.

We figure it was money well spent. I feel the same thing here. It's the perfect tool for my problems.

Fred Fuller
July 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
<OT Interlude>

A crate inside a cage? (Your picture gives you away... :D)

We're using the crate bungied onto the open door at the end of the cage- biggest cage they make, biggest crate they make too. Right now the puppy is only 70 pounds at six months old- but she's growing. She'll probably top out at about 110 or so in another few months. But she's not quiiiiite ready to be loose in the house full time yet, so she spends the night in the crate/cage.

lpl/nc (use enough dawg)

</OT Interlude>

CWL
July 15, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hey Tourist,

E-Tools are scary HTH weapons. Before you rely on the one you just bought, I'd suggest that you run it thru a bit of dirt and branches just to make sure everything holds together. Cheap metal fails just when you most need it.

TimboKhan
July 15, 2008, 04:43 PM
I saw these Cold Steel Spetnaz shovels. A good idea, not something to wear into a 30% of the restaurants where I eat

My friend, this strikes me as an odd thing to say. Why would you need to worry about hauling a small shovel into a restaurant? Is it because it's easier to store upon your person when riding your scooter?

The Tourist
July 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
Why would you need to worry about hauling a small shovel into a restaurant?

It was a joke.

Most uninformed citizens believe all bikers eat in dives an dangerous saloons, in other words where a guy would carry a shovel or a crowbar.

It's just my sense of humor. For example, my wife and I had dinner out this weekend, and all I carried was a trowel.

Brian Dale
July 16, 2008, 12:10 AM
...my wife and I had dinner out this weekend, and all I carried was a trowel.They let you bring the dog into the restaurant?

Does the locking collar on the shovel seem strong?

The Tourist
July 16, 2008, 12:35 AM
Does the locking collar on the shovel seem strong?

Mine does, but I'm real good at opening pickle jars.:D

If I was to speculate on minature shovels in general, I would say they break into two categories, that is, lightness vs. strength.

However to my way of thinking, brute strength for this tool means unwanted weight. You're not going to be digging a hole to China, you're going to be getting your truck's tranny off a snow bank. You're going to be digging a small pit for a campfire--then shoveling dirt on it the next morning as you break camp.

Worst case scenario, you're going to be convincing a few townies that surrounding your truck was not a good idea for Friday night fun.

In those cases, this shovel (and to be fair, lots of others on Amazon and other outlets) is just perfect for the things needed to be done if space is at a premium. Unlike the CS version, this model folds.

I've been looking, and I like this one. YMMV.

Brian Dale
July 16, 2008, 12:44 AM
I had icy road shoulder crust in mind. Cool; thanks.

cracked butt
July 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
I have a surplus German entrenching shovels squirrelled away in all of my vehicles. They look about the same as the CS shovel except these have much heavier steel contruction, a hickory handle, and a leather sheath. I keep one on the front seat of my old beater pickup truck when I have to commute through 'da hood.'

The Swiss surplus shovels are even better- they have a square blade (much more usefull if you need to dig out of snow) have a heavier non folding blade, and don't have the pick making them a bit lighter yet even more srongly made.

Best of all, these shovels don't have a name like 'Spetznaz ninja death touch shovel' which might help you out in court a bit if you ever need it for anything other than digging your way out of a snowbank.

The Tourist
July 17, 2008, 02:22 PM
I agree, but my guess is that I will need a smaller shovel for minor jobs before I need it as a major weapon.

It also sounds like you've found examples that you can carry easily for your needs, and that's the point of this thread. I couldn't find something I liked.

This tiny little guy solved the problem.

cracked butt
July 18, 2008, 11:14 PM
At least yours probably doesn't smell like it sat in the bottom of a german latrine for 20 years.:barf: That's the only complaint about my surplus shovels with their scabbards- the leather tends to pick up very bad smells.:p

If you enjoyed reading about "A better shovel." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!