Are you sick of accessory rails?

PDA

SureThing
July 14, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'm getting sick of all these guns coming out with accessory rails. Talking about Beretta 92's, 1911, SP 01, Sigs....etc....

It seems that everyone has jumped onto the rail bandwagon. I'm getting tired of them.

Do I stand alone?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you sick of accessory rails?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tdyoung58
July 14, 2008, 07:50 PM
nope, hate the damned things, waste of $$$$

Wolfman_556
July 14, 2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah but not as much as I'm sick of the proliferation of polymer and alloy frames.

There is a market and niche for them, but dagnabbit I'd much rather have STEEL and that's becoming more and more rare in new production pistols.

legion3
July 14, 2008, 07:58 PM
Yes very few guns look good with them.

Compare these two CZ's Physically Identical but...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x49/roman3/guns/main037.png

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x49/roman3/guns/main028.png

Glock's is fairly less intrusive on the guns overall apperance but then they added the finger grips...

Some rails look ridiculous and why is there a rail on the KT PF9? or Walther PPS. I guess I should be grateful ruger didn't put it on the LCP.

CountGlockula
July 14, 2008, 07:59 PM
No, because I'm so tactical. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=377739)

legion3
July 14, 2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah but as so much as I'm sick of the proliferation of polymer and alloy frames.

There is a market and niche for them, but dagnabbit I'd much rather have STEEL and that's becoming more and more rare in new production pistols.

I wouldn't be surprised to see no new steel pistols in the future, at least from the major manufacturers. 20 years or so, new production steel pistols may be long gone.

bannockburn
July 14, 2008, 08:14 PM
SureThing

I was looking at a KT PF-9 last week, only this particular model even came with its own laser and mounting kit. I asked if I could buy it without the laser for a discounted price, and the salesman said no, that was how this shipment of pistols were ordered. So I have to wonder why would I want to mount this rather cumbersome laser on a gun that is obviously designed to be a very compact and unobtrusive CCW piece? I mean the whole reason for me even looking at the gun in the first place was because it really is small and trim enough to be carried inside my pants pocket. But I sure wouldn't be attempting that if it had that laser stuck on the front of it.

CallMeIshmael
July 14, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'm waiting for Smith&Wesson to introduce a model 340 variant in 44 mag. (3 shot?) with full underlug 1 7/8 in. barrel and accessory rails for flashlights, high power lasers and rocket launchers.

Lonestar49
July 14, 2008, 08:25 PM

Kinda a loaded question.. LMAO

I just bought my second non-railed SIG P229 40cal and lovin it/them, and have no use for rail mounted lasers, as the CT grips work great and holster in any already made holsters. And using a gun for a flashlight in my book, for civil-patrol, is an accident waiting to happen.. So, NO rails, the better.

Ls

AK103K
July 14, 2008, 08:27 PM
I got sick of trying to hold a 130 pound Rottie and a flashlight in one hand and my shooter in the other out in the yard at night. Now the light and gun are one, and all is well. Works real well without the dog too. :)

I didnt like them at first, but now that I've actually used them, I'll take the rail.

Wolfman_556
July 14, 2008, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see no new steel pistols in the future, at least from the major manufacturers. 20 years or so, new production steel pistols may be long gone.

Sadly I agree.

No one will ever persuade me that alloy or polymer is better than steel.

Yes it's heavier. But I don't mind the weight. If fact that little bit of extra heft feels better to me.

Do I have an alloy framed pistol? Yes (Beretta 92FS). Do I like it? Yes. Would I like it even more if was all steel? Absolutely yes.

Do I have a "plastic pistol"? Yes (Ruger P97DC) Do I like it? Yes. Would I sell it in a heartbeat if Ruger made one exactly like it but with a steel frame? You bet I would.

I know some folks prefer them for the lighter weight and lower maintenance, and other reasons, and that's fine.

But IMO the main reason most of the manufacturers are going to alloy and plastic is to cut costs while following the Tactical Trend.

And 20 years from now, we can only hope that we can still own guns of any kind. The Supreme Court recently helped us but it would be naive to declare victory over the Civilian Disarmament Agenda at this point.

Mad Magyar
July 14, 2008, 08:31 PM
Damn, if you eliminated these type of accessories, who's going to foot the bill for GUNS & AMMO TV & PERSONAL DEFENSE TV? From gun rag to TV, they don't miss a trick...:uhoh:
Off the same path, the latest gizmo: mag-well funnels, in plastic & aluminum...Bill Wilson made a mint on his Shok-Buffs & now markets this also: A solution to a "non-existent problem"...:)

Disaster
July 14, 2008, 08:47 PM
I like how you made the no choice an insult to limit the people who would pick it.

No, I don't enjoy pretending I'm in SWAT, but yes, I do like accessory rails.

I'm not a fan of weapon lights...at least not on a pistol but a rail mounted laser is a great training tool and beats night sights by a wide margin.

So, I voted NO, despite your insult.

By the way, when did you stop beating your wife?

SureThing
July 14, 2008, 08:53 PM
Disaster,

It is called Humor...you should try it some time.

What do you mean by "when did you stop beating your wife?"

Disaster
July 14, 2008, 08:55 PM
Disaster,

It's called humor...goes both ways. P.S. The answer is "I never started."

http://powerpresentations.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/05/when_did_you_st.html

SureThing
July 14, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the "beating my wife" statment.

steelyblue
July 14, 2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, wife beating? I had to reread the openning post twice, and I have no idea where that came from. I think rails suck, but I might think different if I was an LEO. For my purposes, I don't find them necessary.

R.W.Dale
July 14, 2008, 09:00 PM
In my mind griping about rails on a handgun is akin to griping about rifle receivers being drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Or trucks coming from the factory with trailer hitches.

Don't like them! then don't use them. It's really as simple as that

I prefer then myself and I don't own anything made from ballistic nylon. I just happen to think their great for the versatility of being able to use universal accessories.

Wow bout wording the poll differently

I'm afraid of anything new, My TV still uses vacuum tubes

Progress and standardization is great

jetrecbn
July 14, 2008, 09:09 PM
I don't like them. I do think that they are OK on full size weapons; size doesn't matter as much since you are making the weapon bulkier. On midsize or ccw pieces I don't like them. Look at the CZ PCR vs the PO1. Same gun but the P01 got bulky with the addition of the rail.

Why on earth does the Walther PPS have a rail? I thought its major selling point was concealability.

SureThing
July 14, 2008, 09:11 PM
Especially on small pocket pistols. Like the PF-9

steelyblue
July 14, 2008, 09:15 PM
The light would almost double the size of a pf9.

Disaster
July 14, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the "beating my wife" statment.

Really? You can't understand the reference with your Poll question, which insinuates someone who likes accessory rails must like pretending they are in SWAT to the infamous question "When did you stop beating your wife" which insinuates, of course, that the person did once beat their wife?

Some people might really be offended if someone were to accuse them of liking to pretend they are an LEO...especially since this is an age old anti-gun type argument/insult. Like, "Why would you carry a gun around with you. Do you like playing cop?"

By the way, I wasn't trying to insult you...just trying to show an analogy with a little levity...which is tough sometimes to do on the web.

nwilliams
July 14, 2008, 09:17 PM
I have accessories rails on a couple of my guns, I could get by just as well without them. I've never been interested in accessorizing my handguns with lights and laser and whatnot, just not my thing. They don't bother me all that much although sometimes I feel they take away from the character of the gun. Some guns look great with rails and others just look ridiculous with them, it depends on the gun.

Frog48
July 14, 2008, 09:17 PM
I dont own any handguns with accessory rails, if thats any indication.

Technosavant
July 14, 2008, 09:19 PM
On some guns I don't see the point in them (like the officer's size 1911s or little pocket guns), but on midsized to large guns, I don't really care. I like them for house guns.

What I'm mainly sick of is people whining about market direction. Some folks whine about proliferation of calibers, others moan and groan about rails, others complain about X or Y type/brand of gun. Does it really bother you that much what is on somebody else's gun? You might try deep breaths or learning to live and let live.

possum
July 14, 2008, 09:21 PM
i like em, and i think they are a great addition. does every gun need one no but they are great for weapon mounted lights and i happen to use one and am very comfortable with one.

i don't pretend like i am swat i am much cooller than a swat cop, and alot more highspeed than that!

briansp82593
July 14, 2008, 09:23 PM
I have 2 pistols with rails, both full size, duty-ish guns (hd, etc..) my glock 35 and cz sp-01
Rails should only be put on guns that lets say a cop would carry
anything smaller than a glock 19 shouldnt have one, waste of space, and just retarded.
The pps for example, you can fit one brand of light on it, its that crappy little one with batteries stolen from a womens watch, aka it lasts 20 mins. Pointless imo

Heres my little rule when shopping, if it fits in a pocket, it doesnt need a rail.

Kahr and the subcompact glocks* got it down (*excludes 29-30 as they are bigger)

ceadermtnboy
July 14, 2008, 09:35 PM
I think the jist of the thread was that accessory rails make a nice looking gun ugly. I agree with that. I am also scratching my head about someone being offended about sure things opinion enough to accuse a man sarcastically or not of beating his wife. I have two pistols with rails, and it did not piss me off that someone strongly dislikes them.

Rembrandt
July 14, 2008, 09:55 PM
"Have you stopped beating your wife lately?"......originally came from Groucho Marx. It was a question to which a yes or no would imply you beat your wife or had beat your wife.

Most will see the analogy.....for those that don't get it, give it a day or two to soak in.

The concept of a universal mount that transcends all manufacturers has been long overdue. A practical application we can thank the Military for. Unfortunately it's not the most aesthetically pleasing design and has been tastelessly overdone in some cases. This photo best illustrates the absurd extremes it can be taken to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/swissarmygun1.jpg

Disaster
July 14, 2008, 10:04 PM
....originally came from Groucho Marx.

Ahhh...thanks. I thought it was from a comedian.

Perhaps I should have learned from John McCain....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/27/mccain-makes-awkard-wife_n_109576.html?page=5

In an interview with the Las Vegas Sun, columnist Jon Ralston asked McCain why he didn't choose Gov. Jim Gibbons (in the middle of a messy divorce) to chair his Nevada campaign:

McCain: I appreciate his support. As you know, the lieutenant governor is our chairman.

Q: Why snub the governor?

McCain: I didn't mean to snub him. I've known the lieutenant governor for 15 years and we've been good friends....I didn't intend to snub him. There are other states where the governor is not the chairman.

Q: Maybe it's the governor's approval rating and you are running from him like you are from the president?

McCain: (Chuckling) And I stopped beating my wife just a couple of weeks ago . . .

Don357
July 14, 2008, 11:38 PM
I agree that rails can be and are quite useful for mounting lights and lasers on tactical weapons, but I don't want anything to let the BG know where I am. I also believe that rails detract from the appearance of an otherwise beautiful gun. With Glocks it really doesn't matter because they're "UUUUGGGGLLLLYYYY" anyway. But with guns such as 1911's, Sig's, CZ's and Witness', 4900,5900,6900 S&W's, and pocket pistols, as well as other pistols and revolvers that I did not mention for the sake of time, rail are a plague and are not needed on home defence or hunting handguns. By the way, this is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of this board or it's other members.:neener:

jlh26oo
July 15, 2008, 01:13 AM
Dislike rails, but really surprised to see as many agree here. Maybe the loaded poll question actually had an effect (answering it acknowledges the accusation L.O.L.)!

mljdeckard
July 15, 2008, 01:21 AM
I remember in the early 90s, in a lot of movies, there were Berettas and 1911s with barrels sticking 1" out past the muzzle. I don't see those anymore. Compensators too.

I think when most shooters realize they don't want to spend $ for quality accessories, practice in low/no light conditions with a rail light, or replace all their holsters with models that can accomodate accessories, rails will fade out of fashion.

Eightball
July 15, 2008, 01:37 AM
They make a gun balance too forward for my likings. That, and the only "good" stuff to use with them is too expensive, bulky, and for the most part, not worth the hassle; I'll use the money I don't spend on the crap for rails on ammo & shooting time.

PhysicsGuy
July 15, 2008, 01:39 AM
You guys have it all wrong, you have to look at it for the tacticool way.

This is the real reason that they put rails on handguns;

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/images/uploads/gunpics/CZ_75_SP01.jpg

...so that you can fix bayonets!

Theres no way that you could be more special forces than if you have a laser, light, AND a blade on your gun.

ugaarguy
July 15, 2008, 01:57 AM
First the cavalry started shootin' them newfangled black powder revolving pistols. Then they went and made those revolvers to shoot rimfire cased ammunition. Next, they stuck the primer in the middle of the case for more reliable ignition. Then the military went and adopted that semi-auto 1911 thing. After that things stayed the same for about 70 years until they went to that Euro-weenie 9mm cartridge in that Beretta pistol with its fat magazine that holds 15 cartridges. Next thing you know they started stickin' these sights on the guns with tritium capsules so you could see 'em at night. Then all the police started carryin' those new fangled fat magazine semi-autos, but they were made outta plastic! Now they wanna stick rails on the pistols so they can hang a light off it and make sure of their target at night! What's the world coming to?

I'll just be over here holdin' down the fort with my old match lock. Y'all can have all them new fangled toys.

Wolfman_556
July 15, 2008, 02:04 AM
What I'm mainly sick of is people whining about market direction. Some folks whine about proliferation of calibers, others moan and groan about rails, others complain about X or Y type/brand of gun. Does it really bother you that much what is on somebody else's gun? You might try deep breaths or learning to live and let live.

Actually I have absolutely no problem at all with someone who prefers rails, and I have no problem with the major manufacturers making pistols with rails.

I just hope the industry remembers some of us don't prefer rails and other features, and maintains some diversity for us all.

That's all.

loop
July 15, 2008, 05:37 AM
Don't own a handgun with an accessory rail and will not own one.

Ford's will remove yours for $50 and refinishing.

I'm wondering if they qualify as full-length dust covers and as such, are disqualified from IDPA competition. Of course there is an exemption for plastic guns in minor calibers in IDPA.

I carry a SureFire flashlight in my mag pouch (custom made) and have never felt a need for more. I've shot a lot of critters holding the flashlight in the left hand, including a skunk (right up the ass about five yards in front of me with his tail raised to spray), and never missed the mark or had any sort of issue.

I really, really do not want added bulk to any of my firearms unless it is truly useful. I do have one AK that has so many gadgets it really isn't practical for anything.

My night shotgun has a SureFire in a scope mount with a pressure switch on the foregrip. It hits where the center of the beam hits.

My question is: What are you going to mount on a rail that isn't more trouble than it is worth?

Leaving a flashlight or even the mount on the gun just makes it bulkier and harder to handle. A laser won't hold true.

The big disadvantage I see is that it gives the BG a POA, shoot the light you get a head shot.

They just aren't a real good idea on handguns. Handguns are primary response, emergency reaction weapons. They should be used to buy you time to get to an appropriate weapon.

I want a quad rail on my shotgun!

mbott
July 15, 2008, 07:29 AM
Kinda biased in the original question, but the existence of or lack of an accessory rail does not enter into me buying or not buying a particular handgun. If it has one, that's fine. If not, that's OK, too.

--
Mike

Double Naught Spy
July 15, 2008, 07:50 AM
Disaster,

See, and I thought he was implying that setting up a biased poll reflects certain unhealthy personal insecurities (technical bigotry) about equipment diversity.

LOL

Ltlabner
July 15, 2008, 07:52 AM
Wasn't there another thread about this just a week or so ago?

Storm
July 15, 2008, 08:18 AM
I hate the doggone things and will often look for an older gun from when before the firearms industry jumped on that bandwagon. If it's the only way that gun comes I'll look past it, but a rail on a 1911 is just plain wrong. And for crying out loud, why would I want a light on a gun made to be concealed?

Pilot
July 15, 2008, 08:24 AM
Now they wanna stick rails on the pistols so they can hang a light off it and make sure of their target at night! What's the world coming to?

A light rail on a pistol especially one for CCW is just plain DUMB. Aren't pistols supposed to be relatively compact so one can easily carry it? Light rails are a step backwards in pistol design.

Eric F
July 15, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'm wondering if they qualify as full-length dust covers and as such, are disqualified from IDPA competition. Of course there is an exemption for plastic guns in minor calibers in IDPA.

Guns that come with light rails straight from the factory may be
used in IDPA competition AS LONG AS the gun still meets all
division criteria. However the rule book says Steal fullength dust covers are not legal. Aparently if they are poly ot some sort of alloy then you are fine.

As far as tac rails on pistols..........well do you use them or not?
If you buy a gun and use them then your "Tacticool"
if you buy a gun and have no reason to use them then your a "Tactifool"

Double Naught Spy
July 15, 2008, 09:03 AM
A light rail on a pistol especially one for CCW is just plain DUMB. Aren't pistols supposed to be relatively compact so one can easily carry it? Light rails are a step backwards in pistol design.

Aren't they supposed to be compact? Not necessarily. Compact pistols may be easier to carry concealed, but if compactness was a deciding factor, then double stack guns would be pretty dumb as well. So would full size guns.

Gibbles
July 15, 2008, 09:10 AM
I took a low light course and I tried it with and with out a mounted light. And I found the mounted light was way easier.
I also shot a 3gun match at night and I decided that a mounted light is the only way to go. Nice to have a hand held light available though.
CCW is a different story though.

For the 3gun match, the mounted light kept everything very simple.

IkenI
July 15, 2008, 09:43 AM
They don't bother me. You all can make your handguns as ugly as you want. I just avoid them.

Pat-inCO
July 15, 2008, 10:30 AM
With that myopic a set of poll options, I'll pass. :barf:

redneckrepairs
July 15, 2008, 10:46 AM
I cant really say i am sick of them , but then i dont own a single firearm with a tac rail . If someone wants them fine , if not fine . I just dont have any reason to get a firearm with them be it rifle or pistol .

dadof3
July 15, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have a rail on my duty gun, a Sig P229R .40 cal and yes I do like it. But that being said none of my personal guns have one, except for my "EBR".

ugaarguy
July 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
Are we talking a concealed carry gun, or a service pistol? Light rail on a Glock 26 - yes, stupid idea. On a Glock 17 - no, it's a good feature. On a 19 - push, are you carrying it as a duty gun, or a concealed gun? Of course if light rails are such a step backwards I wonder what the DoD was thinking with the M9A1, and the USMC with their Kimber Warriors.

Onesiphorus
July 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hey Krochus! Read your thread and then read your signature. Which world do you want to live in?

makarovnik
July 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
Judging by the way you worded the two choices it is obvious you are biased towards not liking rails. How about next time you just give these two choices:

Yes

OR

No

... and leave out the wise crack about "pretending to be S.W.A.T." so as to try and sway the poll.

Deanimator
July 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
I ABSOLUTELY will not put a light of any kind on a handgun. I make a good enough target as it is without throwing in a light source as an aiming point. There's nothing else I want to hang off of a handgun, especially a bayonet.

HGUNHNTR
July 15, 2008, 04:15 PM
I love the option of adding a light, why not it makes the tool more useful

R.W.Dale
July 15, 2008, 06:18 PM
Hey Krochus! Read your thread and then read your signature. Which world do you want to live in?

It's called humor.......You should try it sometime!

jhco
July 15, 2008, 06:19 PM
yes!

Chortdraw
July 15, 2008, 06:57 PM
I got a new Bersa Thunder-9 and It has the rail and a few added fetchers. I think I like the looks of the none rail better but you never know what works best until you try one out. Never fired a gun with a laser before. Maybe these old tired eyes would do well with a laser as help

XavierBreath
July 15, 2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=81452&stc=1&d=1216170093

If you like them, and train to use them intelligently, I guess they can be rather useful at times. I'm not sick of them. I don't think that people who like them are wannabe SWAT ninjas. I figure they just want to hang a light on their gun.

I'm still not sold on the usefulness of a gun mounted light in contrast to the potential detriments. Yes, they allow you to identify your target. Yes, they do have a momentary blinding effect. I guess I'm just a unenlightened Neanderthal, I prefer my carry guns without light rails, and without lights.

dwave
July 15, 2008, 09:16 PM
From the first paragraph of his link:

Sooner or later every human being on the face of this planet is confronted with tough questions. One of the toughest and most common is the infamous loaded question, "When did you stop beating your wife?" The question implies that you have indeed been beating your wife. How do you answer without agreeing with the implication? How do you not answer without appearing evasive?

That is where it came from.

kcshooter
July 15, 2008, 09:23 PM
I don't want one on my carry guns. If it's there, like on my p250, fine, but I don't plan on using it.

On my HD 1911, I have a light rail and a light. I also have a surefire handheld. I like options. Since the chances of me having to use my HD gun at night are much more likely than using it during the day, why wouldn't I want the option of a light? My light does have a switch, doesn't yours?

So if by your definition I'm playing swat, so be it. Other people's opinions never meant all that much to me anyway.

(By the way, your wife told me you had indeed stopped beating her.)

Armueller2001
July 15, 2008, 10:50 PM
I've got a streamlight light/laser on my full size M&P and I love it. Depending on the situation, I can have light, laser, or both pointed at the threat that needs identified.

I can't carry in this great state, but if I could, my CCW piece would not have a rail on it.

gcrookston
July 15, 2008, 10:57 PM
Pretty much for the most part I wonder what people are thinking by stacking up all the useless (and be honest--unused), crap on a gun. However, I make one important concession. Everyone of my guns will be getting the beverage holder mount...

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/gcrookston/Tactical20Rifle20ACIS20stock20beer2.jpg

FEG
July 15, 2008, 10:59 PM
I'm risking a ban for this, but O.K.

If you don't get the "when did you stop beating your wife" joke, then you need to study your U.S. pop culture.

Bluntly, I don't think someone should be held responsible for the fact that other people don't know their own culture and history.

"When did you stop beating your wife?" is THE classic example of a Catch-22 (long before the Heller novel of the same name). It is often used as an example of modern rhetoric in Aristotelian logic and symbolic logic classes.

I have seen this false dilemma used as an example in countless movies and television shows, for that matter.

FEG
July 15, 2008, 11:02 PM
Accessory rails will be useful some day when they invent something worth mounting there. I say, go for it!

Seriously, people may hate how they look, but I suppose it beats trying to mount accessories on a model without the rail.

I find it easier to focus on the front sight without a light. This is why I don't think lasers are that valuable, either.

dhoomonyou
July 15, 2008, 11:12 PM
waste of plastic.

JeepGeek
July 16, 2008, 04:30 AM
needs to be another selection:
"No, they don't bother me"

too much of the OP's bias inherent in the selections.

Pilot
July 16, 2008, 07:17 AM
Aren't they supposed to be compact? Not necessarily. Compact pistols may be easier to carry concealed, but if compactness was a deciding factor, then double stack guns would be pretty dumb as well. So would full size guns.

Handguns are made to be carried. Anything that reduces this ability and doesn't increase effectiveness is a detriment. Double stack mags increase capacity, what do light rails do? They entice mall ninjas into buying them. Its pure marketing.

My BHP and CZ PCR are slim compact and double stack.

kcshooter
July 16, 2008, 10:26 AM
I wonder what people are thinking by stacking up all the useless crap on a gunSooo, you consider target identification useless? Odd.

Nobody said anything about a bunch of stuff, just a light.

Defensory
July 16, 2008, 02:29 PM
Biased poll.

If you don't want one, don't get one. Stop worrying about what other people choose to use.

Personally, I don't have a light on any of my weapons.

However, Mas Ayoob has one on both his personal carry weapon and his "night stand" gun.

Clint Smith has lights on a number of the weapons he uses at Thunder Ranch.

Nobody in their right mind would consider Ayoob and Smith to be "mall ninjas".

ugaarguy
July 17, 2008, 02:35 PM
what do light rails do? They entice mall ninjas into buying them. Its pure marketing.
So you're saying LAPD SWAT(Kimber TLE/RL II), LAPD SIS (Kimber SIS), FBI HRT (Springfield TRP), and USMC MEU (Kimber Desert Warrior) are mall ninjas? I just wanted to get that straight.

Correia
July 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
Wow. I'm an ignorant wannabe...

I'm willing to bet that I could probably outshoot 99% of the people posting to this thread, but all this time I've just been deluding myself with my silly guns, and my silly little flashlights (that I've also been well trained how to use in a dynamic environment, but once again, I must bow before the superior knowledge of Teh Interwebs).

Thanks Everybody! I'm going to go throw my $1,800 customized STI Tactical away and start carrying my S&W 1917, that I don't shoot nearly as well, but that way ya'll can appreciate the classic lines and styling. (except wait, it takes those Moon Clips, and I'm sure that'll offend the hell out of somebody here).

At least that way when I get killed in the dark, I can have the satisfaction of knowing that I wasn't a "wannabe".

:p

wulfbyte
July 17, 2008, 04:08 PM
Wow, I am surprised at the level of vehemence raised on this thread.

Personally I don't like accessory rails on my personal carry guns. I might make an exception for a specific night stand gun, but generally I don't want them. I would like to see rails available as an option or alternatively, no rails as an option. I don't like that pretty much everything being newly manufactured now has them on without an option to not have them. I understand that not offering the option makes it easier for tooling, but just that same that's my preference.

As for the tactical usefulness of lights, I have made my statement in other threads and don't need to repeat it here. I do think however that there is a lot of self consciousness and rationalization going on else there wouldn't be so much heat in these discussions. I could be and likely am wrong, but that is the impression that it makes. If your logic, reason and experience tells you that a light is right, great, and you may even decide to convince me of their importance, but if we differ, then we differ, and a grand conversation was had. I just don't see a need for such emphasis on making one bunch of guys "right" and the other "wrong".

sinistr
July 17, 2008, 04:39 PM
rails don't take anything away or usually cost extra,but they do add versatility.so...whats the problem?

Disaster
July 17, 2008, 04:56 PM
I am surprised at the level of vehemence raised on this thread.

The backlash was because of the "No" poll question which insinuated a person who liked accessory rails was a Mall Ninja/SWAT wannabe. I wasn't offended so much as I wanted to point out the bias in his poll, and suggest it might offend others. Apparently it did.

One comment. I read several people mention that a laser didn't make sense on a small concealed carry pistol. I used to think the same thing but since using one have changed my mind. I think it would be real handy with a small gun that has even smaller sights as long as it didn't add much bulk. The models I've seen that mount in front of the Keltec trigger guard are good examples. They don't add much bulk and might even help disguise the outline. I have a Crimson Trace grip on my M&P compact...no bulk...instant on...just grip and point the dot.

Defensory
July 17, 2008, 05:10 PM
Posted by Correia:
Thanks Everybody! I'm going to go throw my $1,800 customized STI Tactical away and start carrying my S&W 1917, that I don't shoot nearly as well, but that way ya'll can appreciate the classic lines and styling. (except wait, it takes those Moon Clips, and I'm sure that'll offend the hell out of somebody here).

Them there accessory rails, lights and moon clips are for SISSIES, son! :evil: Don't you know that you have to carry a separate flashlight in one hand, and load your bullets one at a time, in order to be a real MA-YUN?! :p

In all seriousness, a tactical light makes perfect sense when clearing a house, building etc.---because it leaves one hand free. If you're facing multiple assailants in a dark home, it's common sense to want one hand free to open doors, pick up a baby to carry it to safety, parry blows etc.

basicblur
July 17, 2008, 05:16 PM
rails don't take anything away or usually cost extra,but they do add versatility.so...whats the problem?

Because “we” say they are!

Put me in the category of those that would have voted on the poll, only to find how biased it was-like I need another biased opinion in my life!
Being a pragmatist (which immediately puts me at odds with the majority) I want a rail on every gun I own. I see no downside, since I don't think the fact that a gun has a rail makes any difference in concealability (doesn't in any of mine).

Hmmmm….I smell a poll coming on!
“Are you sick of opinionated people”?
1. Yes
2. Yes

Choose wisely! :D

BTW...I'm glad to see that whoever it was in here is no longer beating his wife (according to her)!

Valkman
July 17, 2008, 08:41 PM
No rails on my 1911's but I've come to like them on my 2 XD's. They are in my garage and shop and it is convenient to also have a light on such a gun. I guess I should add that there are no street lights here and it gets dark - you can't see someone standing in the road. So my answer is like the diapers - "Depends". :)

IMTHDUKE
July 17, 2008, 09:10 PM
I thought that they put those rails on to beat your wife with, I know someone posted that for sure...

basicblur
July 17, 2008, 09:14 PM
I thought that they put those rails on to beat your wife with...

Now THAT ought to completely change the poll results!
I'm a bettin' there's a lot of folks slappin' themselves 'bout now for voting before they found that out! :banghead:

EdLaver
July 17, 2008, 10:52 PM
I actually like having a rail on a pistol. To me, it makes the gun look better and makes in more versitale for different situations if needed. I figure if I can get as many options on a gun as possible, I am getting my moneys worth.

conw
July 17, 2008, 11:04 PM
First the cavalry started shootin' them newfangled black powder revolving pistols. Then they went and made those revolvers to shoot rimfire cased ammunition. Next, they stuck the primer in the middle of the case for more reliable ignition. Then the military went and adopted that semi-auto 1911 thing.

You forgot about one thing...it really pisses me off that they invented that gimmicky "double action" revolver. THAT'S what's to blame for our current situation.

Bartkowski
July 17, 2008, 11:16 PM
I like the versatility, but hate the way they look on handguns.

jlh26oo
July 18, 2008, 05:35 AM
I have pistols with rails, so they are not a deal-breaker by any means. They obviously don't hurt anything anyways. But considering it's a feature I don't use, and don't particularly care for the looks of, can you really blame me for not wanting it there- (well I read the thread so I know that you can L.O.L.)!

I just prefer a more svelte overall feel to the design, all else being equal. And if one doesn't ever use an accessory, all else is equal (for them). Y.M.M.V. but I don't personally hate anyone for liking rails. :confused:

I can't believe how lopsided the vote is though. I'm thinking the loaded poll question, in combination with the numbers seemingly validating it, is what got some people so angry. But understand just as those who voted pro-rail are NOT S.W.A.T.-wannabe's, those of us who don't care for rails are not necessarily calling you guys that either. Doesn't mean we all agree with how the poll is set up. :)

usp9
July 18, 2008, 08:57 AM

I pay them no mind. I'm more interested in function rather than form.

chriske
July 18, 2008, 09:39 AM
Oh no SureThing, youre not alone !

I for one have given UP on finding a decent 1911 WITHOUT :
- front slide serrations
- beavertail grip safety
- extended/ambidextrous levers/buttons of any kind (If I'm not ambidextrous, why should my gun be ?)
- rails & sundry attachments
- super expensive front gripframe checkering ( I'll stick some self adhesive skateboard tape on, thanks. Works just as well)
- squared/hooked trigger guard
and... what's wrong with straight up-and-down (= vertical) slide serrations ? Why are they all slanted nowadays ?

countryrebel
July 18, 2008, 04:53 PM
When I purchase a handgun I like to get one with the rail. And no I am not pretending I'm in SWAT. That is an unfair answer.

ceadermtnboy
July 18, 2008, 08:28 PM
I will specifically point to Sig Sauer for not offering the p226 or p220 without the rails. They could have sold one more pistol to me, if it were available as I was looking for a new p226 without rails, I am now looking for a used one.

SureThing
July 18, 2008, 08:54 PM
I'm amazed how many people here took offense to the way I worded the question. Honestly, I was just trying to be funny, nothing more. The motivation was because of so many guns that you can only get with rails these days, such as certain Sigs, and the Taurus PT92 I just bought.

Being that said, I'm also very annoyed at those who have whined about it. Give me a break....I know we live in the United States of the Offended these days, but I never thought that mentality would show up on THR.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

R&J
July 18, 2008, 09:14 PM
Their inclusion on a pistol has no impact on the gun's function and leaves accessory options open to the user.

And your poll is crass and insulting. Better to proceed with the notion that I'm about as smart as you are. :mad:

For the umpteenth time, a good weapon light can flash-light an entire room, by skipping the beam off of the ceiling. You need not--nor should you--saunter through the house with weapon light and laser blazing! :banghead:

Face it, most of us aren't stone-cold, killer commandos... :cool:

A quality inboard or outboard laser is an outstanding training tool and has proved to be about the best SHTF point & shoot sight you can have! Why sight down the barrel when you can project your front sight onto the perp? For some guns, the rail-mounted laser is the best solution. See Crimson Trace's free DVD, Shots In The Dark, before you respond with pet theories as to why lasers don't work. :rolleyes:

As with anything else regarding guns, lasers and lights require practice and intelligent use. ;)

Other Progress I Did Not Fight:

- Pneumatic Tires
- Flush Toilets
- Anesthesia
- Television
- Voice Mail
- The Internet

--Ray

basicblur
July 18, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm amazed how many people here took offense to the way I worded the question. Honestly, I was just trying to be funny
Just more proof that humor should be left to the professionals…

Being that said, I'm also very annoyed at those who have whined about it. Give me a break....I know we live in the United States of the Offended these days, but I never thought that mentality would show up on THR.

Annoyed are you? Well welcome to the party!
I’m sure many were as annoyed as I that we clicked on the subject to participate in a “poll”, only to be confronted with a complete waste of time!

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?
Would you like some screwed up results to go with your “poll”?
I prefer rails on all my guns, but I did vote “Yes, I’m sick of them” just to screw your poll up.

I know…screwing this poll up is a bit redundant, ain’t it?

R&J
July 19, 2008, 01:02 AM
I prefer rails on all my guns, but I did vote “Yes, I’m sick of them” just to screw your poll up.

I just did the same, as a reciprocal lack of respect.

--Ray

ugaarguy
July 19, 2008, 02:02 AM
I'm amazed how many people here took offense to the way I worded the question. Honestly, I was just trying to be funny, nothing more.
There are things called emoticons - those little faces over over on the right of the text body when you type a post - used to show emotion, sarcasm, or the voice tone inflection lost in typed communication. If you click one of the emoticons the html code is inserted in the text. So, even if you can't insert one in the poll choice text, you can insert one in the body of the post, cut the html code text, and paste it into the poll choice.

Even with an emoticon I'd still not like your poll choices. If you want to be funny word both choices interestingly. For example:

"Are you sick of accessory rails?

- No, I like pretending I'm in SWAT.

-Yes, I'm a Neanderthal. How do you mount a rail on a rock or a club anyway?"

Or with emoticons:

"Are you sick of accessory rails?

- No, I like pretending I'm in SWAT. :p

-Yes, I'm a Neanderthal. How do you mount a rail on a rock or a club anyway?" :evil:

Wording one choice in a plain Jane manner and the other in an abrasive manner, without clarification, will upset people. As it sits your poll is quite poorly worded, and really not funny. As it's worded you're insinuating that folks who don't like rails on handguns are normal; while those who do like rails on handguns are poseurs.

Darthbauer
July 19, 2008, 02:26 AM
I like them and the only gun that I had that didnt have one I bought one for and put it on it.

357wheelgunner
July 19, 2008, 11:57 AM
I think that they have their place, but only on a full size gun sitting on a nightstand. Why anyone would snap a light to a Glock 26, or similar small gun, boggles my mind. I think that gun makers need to think about which guns need rails, and which don't. I'll never buy a P229, G26, etc. with a rail. Hell, I won't even buy a full sized gun with a rail unless it's destined for nightstand duty.

I'd never carry a gun with a light rail, because I don't need added bulk in my waistband. I will, however, be getting a railed P220 and surefire light as soon as my wife gets out of school and I have money to blow on such things.

Right now I keep a surefire 6P and a S&W Model 65 on the nightstand and feel just fine.

ugaarguy
July 19, 2008, 12:48 PM
I think that they have their place, but only on a full size gun sitting on a nightstand. Why anyone would snap a light to a Glock 26, or similar small gun, boggles my mind. I think that gun makers need to think about which guns need rails, and which don't. I'll never buy a P229, G26, etc. with a rail. Hell, I won't even buy a full sized gun with a rail unless it's destined for nightstand duty.
Lets say you only have $300 to spend on the gun, and have scrapped up another $100 to get a rail mounted light as well. The gun must be a small carry gun, and perform night stand duty. A Kel-Tec PF9 carried IWB, and put on the night stand with the little Insight X2 snapped to the rail would work well in both roles. It's not ideal, but it's a reason some folks might want a rail on a small gun.
Right now I keep a surefire 6P and a S&W Model 65 on the nightstand and feel just fine.
I've used a similar setup myself. I think you're perfectly well armed.

R&J
July 19, 2008, 01:24 PM
Why anyone would snap a light to a Glock 26...

The G26 and most of the sub-compacts are not equipped with an accessory rail, but I get your point! :)

My bedside gun is a G21 with Meprolight sights, SureFire X200B and LaserMax.

When I'm away, Judy's bedside gun is a G19 with Trijicon sights, SureFire X200B, LaserMax and 33-round magazine loaded with Double Tap +p JHPs.

You see, my G21's a bit too big for her little girly hands! ;)

--Ray

MICHAEL T
July 19, 2008, 01:32 PM
I want a rail and scope mount on my O&U Davis 32 derringer Can't be to mall ninja in todays socity .

Seriously I won't buy a pistol with a rail.

SAWBONES
July 19, 2008, 06:50 PM
Can't stand 'em on sidearms for personal non-LEO use except in the case of a dedicated home defense gun.
They make guns and holsters bulkier and holsters harder to find.

I hate "gun fashion".
Light rails on teensy compact handguns, squared triggerguards, screwy multi-hue color schemes, front slide serrations, on and on...

AK103K
July 19, 2008, 07:00 PM
How's it go..."form follows fashion" or is it "fashion follows form"?

Oh, Jeez! I'm feeling some "Vinnie" Barbarino confusion coming on. :)

M249MachineGun
July 19, 2008, 09:16 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2432742651_b9a4dc999c.jpg?v=0

Looks like there's a lot of opposition to them in Hawaii.

PS. I love my CZ P01 just the way she is, and shame on you for encouraging a negative body image on her! You can keep your anorexic single-stacked railless models, and I'll be dressing my baby up for a night on the town! "no honey, that TLR-1 doesn't make you look fat at all!"

RobO9mm
October 8, 2009, 04:15 PM
25+ years ago, after 10 to 12 hrs on shift , my back would kill me from the weight of a K frame 357, 2 pairs of handcuffs, 24 rounds of ammo, etc, etc. I would have loved to reduce the weight with a polymer auto like a Glock or Sig, or even a Ruger like the P95 I have now. My P95 is a "house" gun, so the rail works ok for my light/laser. If I were still a street cop, I would not like the rail , I think it might be hard to find and use a holster with a light/laser like I have now. I think I would prefer a Crimson Trace laser grip set, which are not available for poly pistols? My ccw gun is a K/T PF9, which I bought because of the size and for the rail, even though the C/T laser doesn't require the rail. I like having options...

Billy Shears
October 8, 2009, 04:34 PM
Yes mainly, though I admit they do have their purpose. A rail mounted light can be a very good, very practical accessory, as long as one has a handheld light also. As a cop who occasionally has to clear buildings, a tactical light on a firearm is a definite advantage for this.

Having said that, however, most people don't need them. I don't have and don't want one on my off duty gun. They are ugly, and add a little extra bulk to the gun.

But they are all the rage these days, so much so, I noticed, that in the movie "Watchmen", the Comedian's longslide 1911s had both accessory rails, and forward cocking serration, which I don't think anybody had back in '85 when the movie was set.

mljdeckard
October 8, 2009, 04:41 PM
I agree. There are enough guns with rails and a big enough market for accessories that they aren't going away.

I remember in the early 90s, you saw a lot of compensators and 1" extended barrels in the movies and at the gun shows. You don't see them nearly as much anymore. I think rails will continue to be available, but they will be bought and used by people who know why they need them, people who buy them because they look cool will get bored.

I don't want to replace all of my holsters with new ones to accommodate rails.

Rex B
October 8, 2009, 04:42 PM
I recently got a good deal on a Taurus PT1911 AR.
Alloy frame with rail. It was a good shooter, accurate, no failures.
But I just could not warm up to a 1911 with rails. It just weren't kosher, and it looked all wrong.
And even the alloy frame was a bad. It mad the gun muzzle-heavy and destroyed the 1911 balance. I could see what Colt made only the short-slide models in alloy.

So it looked wrong, felt wrong. It found a new home.

But, on another pistol the rail is fine. I just made an offer on a G17 3rd gen with rail.

mljdeckard
October 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
Wow. I responded to this thread with an almost identical post over a year ago in #33.

wojownik
October 8, 2009, 04:49 PM
Got a Sig p220 Carry with a rail. Hate the rail, love everything else about the gun. None of the rest of my Sigs have rails. Or any other semiauto. For that matter, I don't even have accessory rails on my EBRs... Call me old fashioned...

John Parker
October 8, 2009, 05:02 PM
Well, your two choices kind of suck. I don't find them obtrusive at all and don't mind them, but that is hardly the same thing as pretending I'm SWAT. And anyway, I'm cooler than those choads. ;-)

Floppy_D
October 8, 2009, 05:05 PM
Way to present the illusion of choice. :D

Ignore the damn thing. You don't have to put anything on there. I've owned several handguns with the rail, and never felt compelled to a) put anything on there or b) get spun up enough to gripe about it. YMMV.

wditto
October 8, 2009, 05:18 PM
why not just remove them if they aren't wanted? get the old file out, take them of, refinish the frame (unless it's stainless, if it is, just polish up a little)

HardShell
October 8, 2009, 05:35 PM
I don't care for them on compacts nor on a firearm I will holster, but I wouldn't have a full-sized HD handgun without them. YMMV.

Hate them? Not in the least.

Agree completely, FWIW, with the prior comments about the asinine wording of the poll choices...

bigmike45
October 9, 2009, 02:25 PM
Some people live to belittle those that dont think the way that they do. I have used flashlights in my opposite hand carrying a gun without a rail and had a weaponlight with laser on my latest gun with a rail. I bought the gun specifically for home defense, as I already have a non railed carry weapon. Having a free hand to open doors, push the badguy away or for whatever reason, helps me justify the rail. That certainly does not make me a SWAT wannabe. I also have an arched mainspring housing and mag funnel on the same gun. It's not for competition but if I should have to change mags in the dark, I want the biggest lead-in I can find.

BillH
October 9, 2009, 02:29 PM
My idea of accessory rails is that a laser or a light just gives me something to aim at. General idea is that since most are right handed then my aiming point is slightly to to my right.

AK103K
October 9, 2009, 04:14 PM
You wouldnt get a chance to aim, you'd be wondering what that brilliant white blossom that just exploded in your face was, suddenly followed by a couple more from a different place than the first one. Of course, you probably woudnt hear the accompanying blasts, nor would you be having much of any thoughts after that. ;)

When used properly, the weapons mounted light is an effective weapon in its own right, and will steal the night from you (the BG) in both aspects of it. You wont know its there until its there, and it wont be where it was, even if you had time to respond and shoot where you thought it was. With night sights on the gun, the shooter really doesnt even need to flash it again. He knows where the target is at that point, even without the light.

basicblur
October 9, 2009, 04:27 PM
Not going to get into the argument over whether lights on guns are good/bad, but maybe an experiment is in order?

Hit somebody you know with the beam from a blinding flashlight and see what the normal reflex/reaction is.

Ain't got nobody handy? Heck, hit yourself with it and see what your first reaction is.

Now decide accordingly...

gc70
October 9, 2009, 05:29 PM
I don't care for rails for the most part. What I don't understand is why the manufacturers do not just drill and tap the dustcover to accept attachment of an accessory rail. Want a rail? Buy one and attach it. Don't want a rail? Carry on.

Bobo
October 9, 2009, 05:34 PM
Don't want to use the rail? DON'T!
Do want to use the rail? DO!

What's the big deal?

Bobo

ByAnyMeans
October 9, 2009, 05:54 PM
While I agree that you have a choice to use the rail or not and would not be bothered by one even though I do not use them, I do however fell like they are ugly and would not have one on a range gun.

mesinge2
October 9, 2009, 05:59 PM
The problem with rails is that finding a holster that takes your gun with the light/laser attached are few and far between. Finding one for your model gun in a shop is next to impossible. You have to special order one or get a quick detah light/laser and carry it seperately.

I have a Beretta M9A1 and I ordered laser for it, then I realized that I could not carry it in anything but a nylon or plastic holster. I eventually made a leather holster myself.

If holster options were more readily available then I think that more people would purchase after market attachments.

GojuBrian
October 9, 2009, 06:06 PM
Why do some people whine and complain when gun manufacturers start giving them more options? I don't get it.

I didn't want a rail on my pistol, so I bought a CZ 75B in satin nickel...wait1..who is tired of satin nickel?!!

:fire:

:D

DougDubya
October 9, 2009, 07:27 PM
Don't want to use the rail? DON'T!
Do want to use the rail? DO!

What's the big deal?

Bobo
I just wish more railed autos (and revolvers) came with those neat little rail hoods like the Beretta 90-Two.

wojownik
October 9, 2009, 09:59 PM
Why do some people whine and complain when gun manufacturers start giving them more options? I don't get it.

In the case of Sig Sauer, I think we're talking about keeping the options limited options. IIRC, the Sig P229 is only offered with rails now, along with other models.

p.s. contrary to my prior post, I'm giving serious consideration to picking up a CZ P-01. Though I would probably never attach anything to the rails, this is one pistol where the aesthetics with rails is very nice.

sigman
October 9, 2009, 10:16 PM
A 1911 with rails ?!?!?
John Browning has to be rolling in his grave !!!
They are soooo ugly and pretentious,SWAT wannabes LOL !!
The elegant rolling underlining curves of the barrel are destroyed just so you can put a " flaslight or laser beam " on it !?! :barf:
I have two Sigs with them and i hate them immensely !!

AK103K
October 9, 2009, 11:03 PM
I have two Sigs with them and i hate them immensely !!
Why did you bother buying them then?

sigman
October 9, 2009, 11:12 PM
not the pistols ! LOL !!

9MMare
October 10, 2009, 01:54 AM
My fullsize MP has a rail. I have no intention of adding a light and it has a CT laser grip.

But I like the rail...I think it makes my pistol look rugged and hawt......:cool:

RX-178
October 10, 2009, 04:53 AM
Just a note about the rail on a pocket pistol, like the PF-9.

I put a light on the rail when I pocket carry my PF-9. The presence of the light makes it print 'cell phone' instead of 'gun'.

DougDubya
October 10, 2009, 02:57 PM
Just a note about the rail on a pocket pistol, like the PF-9.

I put a light on the rail when I pocket carry my PF-9. The presence of the light makes it print 'cell phone' instead of 'gun'.
He uses logic, imagination and intellect instead of staid and stale concepts! HE IS A WITCH! BURN HIM!

(That's a brilliant idea, RX.)

basicblur
October 10, 2009, 04:17 PM
He uses logic, imagination and intellect instead of staid and stale concepts!

Outdated concepts, ain't they?
The way some folks let their emotions run away over such a trivial matter is beyond me.

And all this time I though it was the anti-2nd Amendment folks whose emotions got the better of them? :scrutiny:

Erik
October 10, 2009, 05:03 PM
I like them on full sized guns. I do not like them on compact and sub-compact guns.

DougDubya
October 10, 2009, 10:00 PM
Outdated concepts, ain't they?
The way some folks let their emotions run away over such a trivial matter is beyond me.

And all this time I though it was the anti-2nd Amendment folks whose emotions got the better of them? :scrutiny:
Staid - somber and grim.
Stale - Overused.

There's a difference between Stale and Outdated.

Glocks are pretty darn stale. They're hardly outdated as they ARE the standard of modern (ie: post whenever you decided was the height of perfection) autoloaders.

And sorry - I didn't mean to make the compliment of another poster's creativity seem to be an insult to the "NOTHING NEW IS GOOD" crowd.

Of course, .45 ACP FMJ is completely useless when compared to a real caliber like a .58 caliber Hawken. You young bucks and your cartridges and puny, second-rate calibers.

RX-178
October 11, 2009, 01:44 AM
(That's a brilliant idea, RX.)

Unfortunately it's still using a $50-80 light for a purpose that a $5 chunk of rail mounted plastic would accomplish.

It just seems that nobody out there is making that particular chunk of plastic that I need.

DougDubya
October 11, 2009, 03:37 AM
Unfortunately it's still using a $50-80 light for a purpose that a $5 chunk of rail mounted plastic would accomplish.

It just seems that nobody out there is making that particular chunk of plastic that I need.
Check around a gun or hobby shop for either busted "beater" lights or Airsoft accessories.

I have a crummy cradle that used to hold a cheapo laser sight for a 'softy.

donato
October 11, 2009, 10:01 AM
This reply is for the OPer.

Sorry I don't have to read all the replies in this thread so maybe this has already been said: Who gives a crap! If the gun has rails and you don't want to use them, then don't - it's not mandatory. If you don't like rails don't buy that gun.

45crittergitter
October 11, 2009, 01:42 PM
Just today I was (mis-)reading a gunrag article about M1A "clutter rails." Guess that's my answer.

Crow1108
October 12, 2009, 02:51 AM
Yes I'm sick of them. They aren't so bad on Glocks, but they screw-up the looks on Sigs and Berettas. What's more, to get a good, non-railed, nib sig, you have to spring for the spendier SAS model, and they only make it in the P229 and 220 currently.

kwelz
October 12, 2009, 03:03 AM
Yes because looks are soooo much more important than function and expandability. In fact lets get rid of all this new fangled stuff. All we need is a pipe with a hole in it and a long burning match.

Irate Iguana
October 12, 2009, 04:58 AM
Yes because looks are soooo much more important than function and expandability.

There are hundreds of completely functional and reliable weapons out there. Past a certain point aesthetics certainly do come into play for each owner. You can't just dismiss the preference of people.

Gunfighter123
October 12, 2009, 10:05 AM
I voted No ---- I'm not sick of them as I doen't own a single handgun with a rail !!!!!

Would a rail stop me from buying a pistol I wanted ?? Nope ---- but I like my handguns mean and lean.

BTW --- I don't think it is a BAD idea to have a flashlight on a SD home gun BUT thats what shotguns are for.

walker944
October 13, 2009, 12:19 PM
double post

walker944
October 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
I have no use for them on handguns. But yes, on some rifles....Heck I'm not done mall ninja-ing out my Mini-14 yet. :D :neener:

Lakeshore
October 13, 2009, 03:50 PM
I voted yes.

Not sick of accessory railed guns per se, just doubt I'll buy another one anytime soon. Sometimes a rail can bolix up the aesthetics of an otherwise fine looking gun.

To me the ideal would be more guns available in both rail and no-rail versions so we could have that option.

hirundo82
October 13, 2009, 07:14 PM
I think manufacturers have gone overboard with adding accessory rails.

I'm not opposed to rails on all guns. Both the Glocks I own have rails. It's not like it hurts their appearance--they're Glocks, it is hard to make them any uglier. I have a light on the Glock 17, which is my bedside gun.

On the other hand, rails on a 1911 or Sig-Sauer just look wrong. I buy only used Sigs because I don't like how the rail looks, and there are indications that the rails actually make the frames more likely to fail.

Don't even get me started on rails on revolvers, like S&W is starting to do. That is an abomination.

donato
October 14, 2009, 08:04 PM
Azizza,

+1 I have a CZ P-01 (Accessory rail) and while it may not look as pretty as other CZs without the rail, that sucker sure is a sweet shooter and flawless in 2000 rounds and really feels good to hold and shoot. So what do I care that it has a rail that I don't use.? I don't own that gun for "pretty".

DanielW
October 14, 2009, 08:30 PM
My rail gun is a HD weapon. I have a flashlight mounted on it. I'm not going to shoot at shadows in a self defense situation. But thanks for your ignorant assumption.

HoosierQ
October 14, 2009, 08:31 PM
I have a nice neat little S&W M&P 9c...nice little CCW. And of course it has a rail. I think about how sleak it might look and I think what a shame. I love the little thing though so it hasn't ruined the experience or anything but really...a rail...on a compact CCW...come on people:eek:

So yeah, I am sick of accessory rails big time.

earlthegoat2
October 14, 2009, 09:37 PM
Im more annoyed that many companies are coming out with them as standard equipment. There really are no other options besides the ninja rail on Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, and many Sigs. I guess I will have to continue with buying only old stuff.

HardShell
October 15, 2009, 09:46 AM
... the ninja rail ...

:rolleyes:

earlthegoat2
October 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
I thought about not using that term as I hate it too but since I hate rails more....

jeepguy
October 19, 2009, 05:55 PM
i agree that i dont like them forced on me like sig does & yes it does ruin the look.

jocko
October 19, 2009, 06:28 PM
Have one on my G19 and wish I didn't. I guerss they think it is a selling point to most. I wanted a G19 and had to settle for this way. I'm ok with it, I just don't like it..

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you sick of accessory rails?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!