Kirst Konverters

PDA

mike101
July 15, 2008, 07:23 PM
Howdy guys. Some of you are probably already aware, but Kirst has started making conversion cylinders for the 1860 Army (.45 Schofield), and Dragoons/Walkers (.45 Schofield/Long Colt).

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/index.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Kirst Konverters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shane1858
July 16, 2008, 11:20 AM
Also FYI:
I was told by Walt Kirst himself that the Schofield, on a Pietta gun, will also take the .45 Long Colt, as long as the ammo is no longer than 1 6/8 inches total.
I have a .45 Schofield Kirst Konverter on my Pietta 1851 U.S. Marshal, and I shoot .45 LC. I love it.

Slán go foill,

Shane

sundance44s
July 16, 2008, 11:54 AM
I just started loading the 45 Schofield rounds for my conversion cylinder shooting ..These are good target rounds ..The 45 Colt was getting to be a bit more horse power than I wanted for target work ...I know I could have used fillers in the 45 Colt loads ..but it makes reloading much easyer to not use them ..

flibuste
July 17, 2008, 02:11 AM
Hello,

45 Colt and even 45 Schoffield are much more powerful than the usual percussion load, mainly due to the weight of bullet / ball ( 250gr versus 150gr).
The open frame is not so resistant so what about wear, notably the looseness of the cylinder pin in the frame and the smashing of the recoil ring by the cylinder (may be the last one should not happen due to the Kirst ring) ?

I know that Uberti Rem 1858 often have a fast barrel twist to stabilize bullet (but not Pietta) . Pietta Colt have a slow twist that would not stabilize bullet but what about Uberti Colt ?

Have fun

Voodoochile
July 17, 2008, 05:36 AM
.44 caliber Uberti is either 1:18 or 1:56 by Cimarrons sight.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/boregroovetwist/bore_groove_twist-Uberti.htm

Smokin_Gun
July 17, 2008, 06:11 AM
Uberti Rems are 1 in 18" in Dixie(DGW) specs also.

SG

If you enjoyed reading about "Kirst Konverters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!