Looking at .40 subcompacts for concealed carry, guide me.

PDA

Rugerlvr
July 16, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hi, I'm looking for something in .40 S&W with about a 3.5" barrel for concealed carry. So far, I've identified these choices, but I'm interested in others I should be looking at.

1. CZ RAMI (P)
2. Glock 27
3. SA XD 3"
4. S&W M&P Compact

EDIT: additions:

5. SIG P239
6. Walther PPS
7. Kahr PM40

Please give me your opinion on your favorite and why. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking at .40 subcompacts for concealed carry, guide me." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jlpskydive
July 16, 2008, 03:26 PM
I carry the SA SubComp .40 and love it!! Sorry, that's all I have.

Olympus
July 16, 2008, 03:39 PM
I don't own one, but I've shot the XD sub and love it. Looks like it would make a great ccw.

moga
July 16, 2008, 03:53 PM
+1 for the M&P Compact. Soft shooting, nice finish, easy to conceal, and natural pointer. Quite a slick little rig.

NG VI
July 16, 2008, 03:54 PM
I have a Glock 27, my first Glock, I love it. The trigger is really neat, it's got an incredibly light and short reset that feels like a good single action to me, and it is accurate and for me pretty easy to shoot well. the two-fingered grip is odd at first but I learned it pretty quickly, and it carries very well, being light, having a pretty short (top to bottom) slide and no extra stuff poking out of the sides. The RAMI would probably be my second pick for a subcompact.

cookekdjr
July 16, 2008, 04:24 PM
The Glock 27 is the industry standard, and is the best for the money. The M&P is a good alternative, and some folks prefer it. The XD is also good, but heavier. The RAMI is a quality gun, but I don't like a TDA with safety for this type gun.
I'd also look at the HK P2000sk, but its more money.

SDGlock23
July 16, 2008, 04:48 PM
I love my Glock 27. That being said, I've heard good things about the small M&P too. I don't care for XD's, but that's a personal thing.

M&PVolk
July 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
I looked at all of those choices for CCW as well, and finally settled on the M&P. My friend really tried to steer me to the Glock, but while a very reliable and well made gun, the ergonomics were terrible to me.

I think the CZ is a beautiful gun and I REALLY wanted it, but upon doing some web research, it became apparent that there were major issues with FTF in the .40 S&W RAMI. If those were/are fixed, I would definitely pick one up, although they are a little on the heavier side and accessories are a little harder to find.

It came down to a choice between the M&P and XD for me. They are both great guns, but I am not a fan of the trigger and grip safeties on the XD. The grip felt excellent on the M&P and with the rebate check and mags, it was a great deal. Both have great accessory markets and good quality, but the M&P just seems to be the better platform to me. The XD has more safety features, if that is a factor for you.

You might also consider a Walther P99. Awesome gun.

ArkansasHunter
July 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
Any of the ones you posted will serve you well.

Rugerlvr
July 16, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hmm, Maybe I should add the Walther PPS to the list.

BlindJustice
July 16, 2008, 05:47 PM
They speak of "leading edge" - I worked for an IT shop where we were a "Beta" site. We would get discounts on software because we would
identify bugs prior to general release. Our director called it living on
the "Bleeding edge." We finally got tired of it, and paid a bit more
for no surprizes. It's ok, with softwared but with new firearms I like to
see them come out and monitor forums for any problems. Indeed, the
Rami in .40 S&W has some issues.

Have you considered the CZ 75 .40 S&W Compact ? it has an
ambi safety. Perhaps there's feedback on the CZforum.

Did you look at the Sig P239 .40 S&W ? 3.3" Bbl. a single
stack may be an easier/slim profile for ccw. the standard
mag cap. is 7 but there's a 10 rd extended mag available with
a plastic extension to lengthen the grip for the pinky finger.

Randall

esol
July 16, 2008, 05:49 PM
I carry the SA SubComp .40 and love it!!

i concur

Rugerlvr
July 16, 2008, 05:50 PM
If only Ruger made something between a P-Series and the LCP. :(

briansmithwins
July 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
Kahr PM40?

I often pocket carry the PM9 when I don't want the bother of carrying a pistol. I've fired the PM40, the recoil is a bit stouter then the PM9, but not crazy bad (crazy bad is a Ruger SP101 with hot 158gr .357 loads) for me.

BSW

Defensory
July 16, 2008, 06:26 PM
Springfield XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S00CM-cQx-4&feature=related

FireArmFan
July 16, 2008, 06:33 PM
I carry an XD .40 subcompact and it works great for CCW. I also have an HK P2000 and that works great for me. The P2000sk would be a good option but a bit more expensive. The M&Pc is nice as well.

possum
July 16, 2008, 07:56 PM
i like my xd service model, but i love my xd sc it is a sweet shooter, accurate and reliabel and fun to shoot at the same time. i think you should get one. in keeping with the sc theme you could also check out the kahr line they are very nice too especially the steel framed models.

Walkalong
July 16, 2008, 09:38 PM
I have an XD SC in .40 with a coversion barrel for 9MM and I love it, but I would be looking at the thinner Kahr pistols for carry.

gbelleh
July 16, 2008, 10:46 PM
For me, slimmer is always better for carry. I can highly recommend the Sig 239. The Walther PPS and Kahr would be great carry guns too.

GigaBuist
July 16, 2008, 10:50 PM
I think the CZ is a beautiful gun and I REALLY wanted it, but upon doing some web research, it became apparent that there were major issues with FTF in the .40 S&W RAMI.

Mine had 2 FTFs today while on the range. That was in about 30 rounds of ammo.

I have noticed that it only happens in the first few mags. I might be doing something wrong when I clean it, but I don't have any other pistols that are that picky.

FWIW I've made -zero- effort to actually fix the problem. Probably just needs a heavier recoil spring.

J Lambs
July 16, 2008, 11:02 PM
I saw that Bud's is listing the Springfield EMP in .40 now. I have the 9mm and it is perfect for carry.

AdamSean
July 16, 2008, 11:36 PM
I have owned and fired the top 2 choices. However, my CZ RAMI was an alloy frame. I prefer the Glock 27 though. It fits my hand well and offers me many different carry options.

Erik
July 17, 2008, 01:08 AM
S&W M&P Compact

Rugerlvr
July 17, 2008, 01:47 AM
I've made a spreadsheet with the features and price of all of these, and so far, I'm thinking the Springer and the S&W lead the pack as far as features & price go.

DWARREN123
July 17, 2008, 02:05 AM
I have a Glock 27 and think it is a great concealed carry handgun. I carry mine in a Don Hume IWB, cross draw. Good gun, butt ugly, accurate and reliable as all get out.

33-805
July 17, 2008, 02:24 AM
I have carried a Glock 27 for years as both a backup and as a primary CCH. The best thing for you as far as I can recommend is to try as many of the choices you list as possible and make your choice based on what works best for you. We all have our opinions but you have to carry the thing, so make sure you like it, trust it and can shoot and carry it. Best of luck in your search!

XDelicious
July 17, 2008, 02:26 AM
I carry a Kahr P40 and forget it's there....very comfortable. I don't think you could go wrong with the XD (I have the 4inch .40 and love it) or the M&P. With the Kahr you have the single stack which makes it extremely easy to conceal though.

BTW, this is my first post and my first two names we're already taken, ChuckB which is my name at most sites, then I tried KAHRma and that didn't work.... So without thinking it through I tried XDelicious and even though it's creative putting the XD in there I think it would be better suited for a lady:banghead: Anyone know off the top of yer head if we can change our screen names or do I have to go to the admins?

smirnoff a
July 17, 2008, 04:12 AM
I carry Kahr MK40. Springfield EMP has a nice model out as well. H&K P2000SK would be one of my choices.

Autolycus
July 17, 2008, 07:10 AM
I myself prefer the HK P2000sk. HK's are excellent for handling the recoil of the .40 S&W round.

71Commander
July 17, 2008, 07:30 AM
The Glock 27 is the industry standard, and is the best for the money.

**cough-cough** BS **cough-cough**

gladi8tr
July 17, 2008, 07:38 AM
buy the glock and never look back

Sylvan-Forge
July 17, 2008, 09:17 AM
FWIW .. The HK P2000 SK was the best subcompact .40 I've ever used (I've tried all the common commercial stuff) and the Walther PPS looks very promising (the 9mm had suprisingly very little felt recoil and was extremely accurate).

Rugerlvr
July 17, 2008, 11:36 AM
Why is the Kahr so much more expensive than the rest?

bltmonty
July 17, 2008, 11:48 AM
I carry the Kahr P40 with me on my road bike. It's a bit small for my hands, but it conceals nicely. It does have the 3.5 inch barrel, and when I can control my flinching, it is very accurate. It holds 6+1 and weighs about 23 oz loaded. It's very reliable. I think the Kahr PM40 is just too small to handle the 40. My favorite carry is the Kahr p45; bigger than the P40 and easier to control recoil and accurate.

SeanMTX
July 17, 2008, 03:23 PM
I'm a Glock hater who just recently got a Glock 27 and am rather enjoying the taste of my own foot.

With the Meprolight sights, Scherer pinky extension and a Crossbreed Supertuck, I'm rigged as well as I can expect. Comfortable, super concealable (I can tuck in my shirt over it IWB and you can't tell.), and damn accurate.

My current setup for the 27 is:
Lone Wolf Distributors barrel (Standard rifiling and better casing seat in the chamber)
Night sights
3.5lb trigger connector
Pinky extensions for mags

With those, it's a solid shooter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking at .40 subcompacts for concealed carry, guide me." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!