Why color case on certain firearms?

PDA

Colt46
July 16, 2008, 06:41 PM
I know what it is, and appreciate the fine contrast and colors associated with color case, but why would the 1873 Colt SAA have a color case frame and blue cylinder and barrel? Considering that the two finishes are so different and have different life expectancies I was just wondering.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Why color case on certain firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
July 16, 2008, 06:55 PM
Because it is, or at least was originally, color case hardening and was used to improve surface wear characteristics of mild steel or wrought iron parts.
The blotchy colors were originally a side effect of the process and were later developed for looks as they were accepted as a sign of quality or just thought attractive.

owlhoot
July 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
There is nothing to add to Jim's comment. However, for your info, the Colt SAA is available from the factory with an all blue finish if that's what you want. But traditionally the SAA has had the CCH finish, and I for one, wouldn't want it any other way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why color case on certain firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!