Quick Blackhawk Convertible Question

PDA

MikePGS
July 16, 2008, 08:07 PM
Hello. Since I really want a .45 a.c.p. and the cheapest option seems to be a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (also i want a S.A.) I was curious as to whether or not a convertible would be as structurally sound as a revolver merely chambered in one caliber. I know its probably a stupid question, but is there any difference? I imagine that it would be quite solid since ruger overengineers to begin with, and the .45 a.c.p. is relatively low pressure, but thought i'd check with you good people just to make certain. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick Blackhawk Convertible Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
July 16, 2008, 09:20 PM
There is no change in structure. There are just 2 different cylinders for the different cartridges.

BigBlock
July 16, 2008, 09:29 PM
Yep. The blackhawk frame is solid, very solid, with just a hole in it for the cylinder. No crane or anything like that. The cylinders pop out real easy and I could still probably hammer nails with the gun and not damage it. :D

foghornl
July 17, 2008, 12:36 PM
Ruger "Convertibles" have been around for years. I'll wager that your great-grandkids can't wear that thing out. Slightly different dimensions on the .45Colt vs. .45ACP ammo makes the cylinder switch necessary. Same with the Single-Six Convertible .22LR & .22Mag and the .357Mag 9MM Para convertibles.

unspellable
July 17, 2008, 09:16 PM
The Blackhawk will take substantially heavier loads in either caliber than you can buy across the counter, and do so without turning a hair. It's a common practice to load the 45 Colt to heavier than factory specs when used in the Blackhawk. I have not heard of this being done with the 45 ACP, but it's probably a case of nobody thought it worth the bother since you would use the roomier 45 Colt case for heavy loads.

Dienekes
July 17, 2008, 11:43 PM
Got a 10 year old 4 5/8" one sitting on my desk as I speak. It's a tank with either cylinder. It won't break.

Have put very few, if any jacketed .45 ACPs through it, however. It's very accurate with my .452 cast bullet loads but insists on leading more than I like. No doubt jacketed would shoot cleanly. I find that .454 cast bullets in .45 Colt shoot very, very well and do not lead much at all--so I shoot it with those most of the time. There used to be some issues with cylinder throat size variance, and it was common to have them reamed to a proper .4525. I suspect that new ones do not have this problem anymore; at least my New Vaquero .45 is an extremely uniform .4525 out of the box.

I like this gun a LOT. It is very light for the caliber, well balanced, and big enough to absorb recoil. The sights are of course very good and easy to see. I have a 2 1/2 pound trigger pull on it, and it is a pleasure to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick Blackhawk Convertible Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!