Sig 1911s

PDA

kwelz
July 16, 2008, 11:15 PM
What do people think about these? I would like first hand knowledge not friend of a friend type information.

I want another 1911 but would like something slightly different and these seem to fir the bill.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig 1911s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Moccw
July 16, 2008, 11:22 PM
I just bought a week or so ago a gsr 1911, took it out last saturday, I could not believe the groups i was shooting with it, I LOVE IT!!!! Cant wait for the weekend.. I have a buddy who has had one for about 6 months, he has a few thousand rounds through his with no probs... Good luck

rellascout
July 16, 2008, 11:25 PM
I like my gen 1 GSR. Great gun and its a real tack driver.

The only negative I can say is that I do not like the contour of the beavertail. It digs into my hand after about 100 rounds.

Other than that mine is a winner.

The Lone Haranguer
July 16, 2008, 11:39 PM
I purchased a Revolution Carry (similar in size to a Combat Commander) in 2007 and it was dreadful, with malfunctions and parts breakages, including a broken extractor and shedding firing pin safety parts on the range floor. Sigarms (to their credit) paid for shipping and replaced the gun after the third breakage. Unfortunately, the replacement gun broke, this time the thumb safety engagement and the front night sight winking out. After it was repaired it actually performed quite satisfactorily, but it had too much "baggage" and I lost interest, so I sold it. .45 ACP was $11 a box then, too.

Another thing to consider is that, due to its squared-off slide contours, it is a difficult gun to find holsters for. A standard 1911 holster may or may not work. It can be forced into some leather ones and they will eventually break in, but forget about more rigid materials like Kydex or horsehide unless specifically molded for it.

Polish_Pounder
July 16, 2008, 11:50 PM
I did a lot of research before buying mine and decided to give it a try. I have the 5" GSR Stainless (no rail), and I love it. I have shot Colts, Kimbers, and Springers, and the GSR is the most accurate and has the best trigger. Not just in my hands, either. My friend offered me his Kimber plus cash after he put 2 mags through it. I know there has been a ton of bad press and a few lemons, but Sig makes a good gun and stands by them. I certainly got a great one, but I would buy another in a heart beat. I got mine for $875 out the door 2 years ago. For the performance and features, that's a heck of a value. As for holsters, every Gov't model holster I have tried works fine. I have tried 2 leather ones and a Kydex one made for Colt Gov't 5" with no problems.

-Polish

kwelz
July 16, 2008, 11:50 PM
I know that the holsters won't fit. But like I said. I am looking for something a little different. Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.

rellascout
July 16, 2008, 11:54 PM
I personally like the Gen 1 guns the best. If you get one that runs well it is a winner.

Caspian frame, Storm lake barrel and other premium parts hand picked by Sig. After the first Gen Sig started to make the parts in house. They are not the same quality IMHO. There were definately issues with some of the first Gen guns due to what I believe to be assembly errors but if you were lucky enough to get a good one they out shoot most other production 1911s.

Just as a frame of reference I am not a 1911 expert but I do own 4 Colts, A Dan Wesson CBOB, A Real Gunsite pistol built by Ted Yost on an SA milspec and the GSR.

The GSR runs will all of them.

Storm
July 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
I just acquired a used Gen 1 gun but haven't had time to shoot it yet. As to build quality I'm thrilled with it (same with my SW1911) My understanding is that it was the earliest Gen 1 guns that had some issues and that guns with later serial numbers under the low 7000's are quite desirable. The gun at that point, at rellascout pointed out, was still more of a "custom" gun made up of subcontracted parts as opposed to later guns where Sig produces more of those parts. You can read about the build history of the gun at the 1911 Forum under the Sig section.

GunDoctor
July 17, 2008, 12:10 PM
Sig 1911's are great. Can't go wrong there.

rduckwor
July 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
Late model SIG 1911 - Fine gun.

RMD

phantomak47
July 17, 2008, 01:15 PM
My question has always been about Sig 1911s, why is there zero buzz in the gun world about them, its almost as they dont exist. Thoughts?

rellascout
July 17, 2008, 01:21 PM
They were not great right out of the gate and the 1911 market is crowded. If you stumble you loose a lot of ground which may never be made up.

GunDoctor
July 17, 2008, 02:27 PM
Thats true they did have a couple issues (that have been resolved) when they first hit the market. I think it cast a bad first impression. With everything worked out they are great 1911's.

Storm
July 17, 2008, 02:49 PM
They took care of the initial problems rather quickly, but the market is flooded and the competition great. For a guy like me who shoots Sigs and wanted something different from the usual the Sig offered a unique opportunity. The slide looks Sig all the way and the whole gun is unmistakenly Sig. I think if I was looking for another used Sig I'd be looking in the 5000 to high 6000 serial range stamped "Revolution", still first Gen but far enough along that the teething problems were well behind it. I have heard that you're most likely safe if your first Gen gun is stamped "Revolution".

rellascout
July 17, 2008, 03:13 PM
Storm,

I do not think that all the teething issues were gone by those numbers. In fact there are those who report issues with the current guns.

My GSR is G5029** and is not stamped Revolution. I am not sure where they changed the rollmark.

phantomak47
July 17, 2008, 03:40 PM
I have a feeling that the 250 and the Sig 1911s will go the way of the Sig pro, this is coming from a Sig guy, I think that Sig lost too much time with problems and they just never caught on unlike other 1911s. Some things work, some things dont.

No matter what Sig does, they will be known for their classic P series, specifically the 226, 229 and the 220.

Storm
July 17, 2008, 06:48 PM
Storm,

I do not think that all the teething issues were gone by those numbers. In fact there are those who report issues with the current guns.

My GSR is G5029** and is not stamped Revolution. I am not sure where they changed the rollmark.

I think that most of it was handled by the revolution stamp, but I may be wrong. The 1911 Forum has pretty good info on that.

BTW, my gun is G5058** and it's stamped "Revolution" so we have the change pretty well narrowed down...although...I do recall that there was quite bit of overlap around the transition with slides, frames and other parts being used for some guns and not for others and vice versa. A good 1st Gen gun seems to be fairly desirable, or so it seems.

kwelz
July 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
I went in to look at them today. They were nice. Handled well, seemed very well made, etc. But I just could not bring myself to spend that much money on them≥ 900-1K is just a bit to much. I think I may just pick up another XD instead!

rellascout
July 17, 2008, 08:19 PM
PM me no need to spend that much. Do you have a good transfer dealer?

R12GS
July 17, 2008, 08:29 PM
I carry mine as my duty weapon. I know of several other officers who carry theirs as well. Have not had a single malfunction and it is an absolute tack driver. Buds gunshop have them at $799 NIB. Hard to beat that deal for std Novak nightsights, match grade barrel, front and rear stipiling on frame, and no MIM parts. I sure hope SIG continues producing them, they are a fantastic buy.

Mainsail
July 18, 2008, 12:02 AM
Hands down the best 1911 I've ever owned.
http://img.geocaching.com/user/295f8b55-3485-4657-b542-3b7af3c8cfd9.jpg

kwelz
July 18, 2008, 07:29 PM
Complete change of direction. I ended up getting a full sized Dark earth M&P in .45

Storm
July 18, 2008, 09:03 PM
I shot my stainless full size for the first time today. I couldn't be more pleased. The solid build quality translates to great performance. Function was flawless. I was shooting more to check out function, but the gun shot just a hair high of POA and was a great start to what I think will be a very, very accurate pistol. Putting the gun through it's paces I was only shooting at 15 yards, but the bullets (230gr WWB) were all going into one jagged hole. I fully anticipate that the size of that jagged hole will get smaller with time.

The pistol cost me $649 and is in pristine condition. Knowing what I now know I would pay far more for it.

KyJim
July 18, 2008, 10:56 PM
I have a Revolution C3 and like it very much. I use it as my cold weather carry gun of choice.

bl4ckd0g
July 19, 2008, 12:42 AM
You're all convincing me to trade my USP in for a C3. Has anyone converted their Sigarms 1911 to another caliber, say .38 Super?

I'd love to get a compact 1911 that I can shoot in a different caliber.

Storm
July 19, 2008, 11:19 AM
Ooops, I wrote about my SW1911 and this is the Sig thread. Sorry about that. I'll be shooting my Sig next.

BTW, question. The thumb safety on my Sig GSR Revolution is a good bit more stiff than on my SW1911. It is a much more postive click and I'd imagine less prone to accidental engage/disengage. The Smith safety is much smoother, almost a velvety, with almost no positive "click". Is the more firm and positive click safety of my Sig typical for the Sig? Is it more typical for 1911's in general? I could see the SW1911 thumb saftey being unintentionally engaged or disengaged, but not the Sig's.

The Lone Haranguer
July 19, 2008, 11:51 AM
Is the more firm and positive click safety of my Sig typical for the Sig? Is it more typical for 1911's in general?
My SIG, as well as a Colt Combat Commander I also owned, were both "firm and positive." I think I would prefer this to being too easy.

Storm
July 19, 2008, 12:24 PM
My SIG, as well as a Colt Combat Commander I also owned, were both "firm and positive." I think I would prefer this to being too easy.

Thanks Haranguer. I thought that might be the case. I will say that the Smith alone without comparison doesn't concern me, but when you compare it to the SIG the SIG is so much more firm and positive with a "snap" to it.

When I compared the SIG, Smith and Taurus, the Taurus was right in the middle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig 1911s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!