S & W 627 .357 8-times

PDA

jackslayer
July 17, 2008, 02:19 AM
I'm new to revolvers and this one caught my attention. I live in Califonia and so I'm limited to ten rounds with an automatic so even if i chamer a round i'm only loosing three. Looking for a gun for occasional range shooting and home defense. That said i would like to get into reloading and it seems to me a .357 without having to pick up the casings would be a great start. I also don't anticipate getting a second revolver any time soon and so splurging a bit seems fitting to me:D. Could i get some reviews and additional info?

Are they hard to find used/gun show?

Worth the money?

Available in other than 4 and 5 inch barrels?

How does it shoot etc?

If you enjoyed reading about "S & W 627 .357 8-times" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shade00
July 17, 2008, 02:48 AM
IMHO a 627 is a fine choice. You will also have the option of shooting .38 specials in a .357 if you need cheaper practice ammo and are not reloading yet. The 627 was offered in 6" and I believe special order 6 1/2" barrels through Lew Horton. The ideal model for you would be either the 627-2 or 627-3, as these are pre-lock models and are also 8-shot. The 627 and 627-1 are 6-shot revolvers. Anything after the 627-3 has an internal lock.

pps
July 17, 2008, 03:15 AM
Stellar gun. This has become my favorite to shoot.

Very accurate.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/pps_2006/target.jpg

ArchAngelCD
July 17, 2008, 03:55 AM
Too bad there is a lock on the new Pro model or I would buy it. I like the idea of 8 rounds of .357 Magnum on full moon clips!!

pps
July 17, 2008, 03:58 AM
The lock is easily remedied. Now I just need to get some stainless steel rod, have it lathed to size and interference fit it to plug the Klinton Hole.

Stainz
July 17, 2008, 05:57 AM
I was very fortunate to trade into a LNIB Miculek PC627 V-Comp several years ago. It's a great range gun - super trigger. I am even more elated over the new 627 Pro I bought a month or so back for $719 + s/t. It's 4" non-compensated barrel is perfect for me. The spring loaded front sight got an orange HiViz sight. The rubber Hogues made way for a myriad of Ahrends and Miculek grips, with me settling for the rounded non finger-grooved cocobolo stocks. Great grab.

I rate it as one of the best buys from S&W - right up there with the 625JM at the same price. Say what you will about new the Infernal Lock, but, other than it's eye-sore notice when I am cleaning my so-equipped newbies, I'd never know it was there. Folks who write-off new production S&Ws are missing some fine revolvers.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_0544.jpg

Stainz

crebralfix
July 17, 2008, 11:30 AM
Lew Horton has the "new" registered magnum:

http://longrangeinternational.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=259

Evyl Robot
July 17, 2008, 11:34 AM
Great Gun! If I could justify trying to conceal an N-frame, I would have probably gone that route rather than the 586 that I bought. For range use and HD, you can't get a better revolver, IMO.

--Michael

Technosavant
July 17, 2008, 11:36 AM
They're fine guns, as are their 327 Scandium framed brethren.

Right now, the 627 Pro series is probably the best value in the 8 round .357 segment. They have a regular production 627, but it isn't cut for moon clips, and the Pro series isn't too much more. If you can swing it, the Performance Center ones are quite nicely done, but they do command a fair premium.

Guy B. Meredith
July 17, 2008, 09:58 PM
Nah, they're no fun. No challenge. I'm not a real marksman, but when my 686+ stays in the black, the 627 stays within the 10 ring tightly clustering the X. Just too boring. ;)

mc_coy
July 19, 2008, 02:07 PM
Worth the money?

Definitely

How it shoots?

I refer to my 5" barrrel 627 PC.
Trigger is superb, right out of the box, just as advertised. People get awed when they try it out. Very good for double action, as a matter of fact I forgot how to shoot single action. Superlative for staging.

I'm no marksman yet. Once I gave it to an instructor to try with my reloads.

He shot 3 rounds offhand in single action, at 15 yards, the grouping was one single hole
Groupings are a funtion of my day: good day, good groupings, bad day, more scattered
As far as self defense goes, I'm trying some FMJ reloads, my intention is to keep 3 moonclips loaded, keep the gun somewhere at hand unloaded (I have a small kid). It amounts to having 24 rounds at disposal in a very short time, more than you really need in an emergency situation.
Revolver meets semiauto...

ClemY
July 19, 2008, 05:57 PM
I love my 627PC. It is currently my favorite centerfire revolver. It has the best double action trigger of any of my revolvers.

Elvishead
July 20, 2008, 09:26 AM
$1100= 627 V-Comp.

Shooting it? Priceless!

$990= 327 M&P R8.

Shooting it? Priceless!

8 shot's? Life saving!

Ric
July 20, 2008, 03:04 PM
I've got the 627PC and it's a great gun.
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9428/dscf1653ks8.jpg

bukijin
July 21, 2008, 04:01 AM
For range and HD there's no better revolver in my opinion. Mine is accurate, fun and just an awesome piece of machinery. And 8 rounds of .357 is serious firepower.

GrandmasterB
July 21, 2008, 03:22 PM
627's are great! Mine has a fabulous trigger and is accurate as all get out. I really like shooting .38 specials as the recoil is very mild in such a big/heavy gun.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/bungib/PublicFolder/Guns/627robar1.jpg

19-3Ben
July 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
I lust for one.

TOGGLELOCK
July 25, 2008, 07:49 PM
I do also, without the lock. TOGGLELOCK (no pun intended)

docmagnum357
July 25, 2008, 08:48 PM
the 627 may be my next purchase. I love n and k frame revolvers. I have been flamed on another online forum for carrying a 629 classic with a 6.5 inch barrel. I am a really big guy, and I can carry inside the waistband with a Sourdough holster from simply rugged. I also do a lot of handgum hunting, and I distrust "service" calibers for any real manstopping work. Believe it or not, Caliber is not as important to me as the handgun it's self. That big n frame is mighty steady when you put the sights on something, and it is easy for me to shoot well. I have really thought that one of the 627s cut for moon clips would be a hard handgun to beat for a one gun set up.

Stainz
July 26, 2008, 12:18 AM
The difference in handling between my older JM PC627 V-Comp and my new 627 Pro is unreal. Of course, there is a weight difference, 47 vs 41 oz, and the barrel lengths: 5" + comp or blank vs 4", as well as the different grips I use. With the JM grip on the V-Comp, it, too, is a fast grab, like the 627 Pro with the smallish non-f.g. Ahrends rounded grip. But - the V-Comp still feels a lot bigger, while the Pro seems a more responsive pointer. Both shoot mainly wimpy loads here, as they are 'fun' revolvers. Both have shot the +P 158gr LHPSWCs with little felt recoil - they are big & heavy revolvers and would make great .357 Magnum launchers. Both came moonclip-ready, as all 627s appear to, and with eased charge holes, actually the ejector star, for faster 'clipped round loading. If you've ever enjoyed the 'fall in place' reloading of 'clipped .45 ACP RN in a 25/625/1917, the 627 is a lot slower - eight spindly legs to align.

It took me years to collect the firearms I had. I had to sell a few Rugers to finance the 627 Pro - no regrets there - it's a keeper, IL and all. The V-Comp cost me a nib Heritage 24 - I feel it was a steal, too. I am indeed a fortunate man. I endorse the 627 Pro as a best buy from S&W.

Stainz

jackslayer
July 26, 2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the responses. It looks like the 627 will be my next purchase:cool: i can't wait. now i just have to save up about a grand for myself. Married....two jobs....two kids.....it'll be a while. Screw it the American way of buy now pay later never hurt anyone:evil:....oh wait.....can't....bring my...self..to fall...for that....again. Me want 627 NOW

63rdOVI
July 26, 2008, 01:40 AM
Today I bought two new Smith & Wesson .357s: a Performance Center Registered Magnum with 3 1/2" barrel in blue, and a Pro Series Model 627-5 with 4" barrel. I am really looking forward to shooting these revolvers. I'm a big fan of the Model 27 (and the .38-44!) but could never find one in the new condition I wanted until I saw this one at Collector's Firearms here in Houston. I decided to buy the 627 to go with it.

I was always fascinated by the size and quality of the .38-44 and Model 27 revolvers and the high-performance .38 Special ammo that was developed over the last century. Loaded with some good .38 +P or mid-power .357 ammo, this brace of Smiths will give me 16 rounds of stopping power...and peace of mind.

Stainz
July 26, 2008, 08:31 AM
Jackslayer,

I put my 627 Pro 'on the card'... went home, put a couple of classified ads up and within weeks, I had traded my SBH for a week old unshot .32 Seecamp, ammo, leather pocket holster and, a C-note. I also had sold a trio, BHG .45 Vaq & .32M SSM, and a .32M SP101, for $1200. Paid the card off when the bill came - and had money in my pocket when I saw a LNIB (shot case 5/05 - the gun was unshot!) 4" 64 for $327 inc s/t. Four Rugers = 1 Seecamp & 2 new S&Ws. I am elated - and my wife has something she'll carry! I guess it all works out. Those kids are tough... beans are good for them. House/car payments... when there is an S&W you need?

Okay, all kidding aside, I am afraid our glee over the Heller victory may just be short lived in a few months. If you 'need' a firearm, not a collection, it might just be prudent to obtain it - and a cache of ammo - sooner, rather than later. Not a prophet of gloom - just a realist. The ammo part is realistic, too - prices keep climbing.

Stainz

cornman
July 26, 2008, 10:40 AM
Is there a reason for that hidious barrel on the 627? I would get on but I cannot get over that weird barrel.

Brasso
July 26, 2008, 10:57 AM
I bought the "standard" looking 627. By standard looking, It looks just like a 4" 629 would. Normal, half lug barrel, bright stainless. This model isn't cut for moon clips. At the time, I thought I would just pick up some speed loaders for it. Unfortunately, no one makes them. This really pisses me off. If I had know that no one made moon clips for it I wouldn't have bought it. I would have just gotten a 629. Otherwise, it's a really good shooter and great in all respects. But HKS sucks.:neener:

rbmcmjr
July 26, 2008, 01:15 PM
Is there a reason for that hidious barrel on the 627? I would get on but I cannot get over that weird barrel.

To which contour are you referring? I like this one:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b240/rbmcmjr/629pccloseright.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b240/rbmcmjr/629pccloseleft.jpg

It is a modern rendition of the classic Model 27 profile:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b240/rbmcmjr/27sgalore-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "S & W 627 .357 8-times" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!