College defense

PDA

conw
July 17, 2008, 02:39 AM
Being a college student I thought I'd make a list of my SD tools for next semester 'n' maybe get some feedback...being unable to carry, of course, in NC. Hence they are, in fact, non-firearm weapons. I do live off campus and have a car, so I will be well-armed at home and driving about town.

Better to have some tools than none, right?

Kimber Lifeact - preferable choice - for drunken heehaws and the like, or the homeless people that sometimes wander onto campus and accost people, etc

Shillelagh (don't have it yet, from lollysmith) - obvious choice. Pitbulls (:p), serious work ("stick beats knife," right?), etc

Screwdriver - last ditch - how long is the preferred length, sm?

Case sodbuster jr. - not really a weapon, but it is another tool.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "College defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
conw
July 17, 2008, 02:44 AM
Oh, cell phone obviously, and a 180 lumen Olight.

TimboKhan
July 17, 2008, 03:23 AM
I always packed a knife when I was in college, so there is that. Truth be told, I always had a "truck gun" too. I don't think that's allowed here in CO, and I was taking a big risk getting caught, but I have a good, quickly accessible hiding spot in my truck and my truck is pretty nondescript. In any event, I graduated in 07, so it's a non-issue now.

TAB
July 17, 2008, 03:34 AM
The only tool you really need is your brain...

j-easy
July 17, 2008, 03:36 AM
College defense? now that's an oxymoron if i ever heard one.

Cosmoline
July 17, 2008, 03:44 AM
Shillelagh or a good walking stick of some sort would be my number one suggestion. It gives you more leverage and impact force than any knife and is considerably easier to deploy and use effectively. It can also be carried openly without causing undue alarm, esp. if you fake a wee limp. One thing you might also consider is taking martial arts courses at your college if they're offered.

hso
July 17, 2008, 07:37 AM
Kimber Lifeact - preferable choice - for drunken heehaws and the like, or the homeless people that sometimes wander onto campus and accost people, etc

If you don't live on campus you can exercise good judgment and situational awareness and avoid "drunken heehaws". Homeless folks don't tend to be much of a threat (outside of those states/cities that tolerate aggressive panhandlers). Keep the Lifeact for going and coming out of the campus parking garages.

Shillelagh (don't have it yet, from lollysmith) - obvious choice. Pitbulls (), serious work ("stick beats knife," right?), etc

How are you going to encounter pitbulls on campus??? You may want to consider something that is less obvious than a short cudgel (you're not talking about a cane after all). Find some normal campus gear that serves the same purpose so that it can hide in plain sight in that environment.

Screwdriver - last ditch - how long is the preferred length, sm?

Add a couple of other tools to that and you might have a good explanation for why you're carrying them around in your bag, but you're going to tire of lugging them around. Remember that anything you use will have to be explained. I'd rather carry a socket wrench and explain that you got tired of people stealing your tools from the car.

Case sodbuster jr. - not really a weapon, but it is another tool. Any knife will do, if you will.

kBob
July 17, 2008, 10:12 AM
Not quite three decades ago I was a college student. WHen there started to be some serial assaults on campus the response of the campus and local police was to hammer folks they found carrying guns or sheath knives. Keep in mind there were not five thousand choices of quality folders available. There was no pepperspray. No pocket flashlights that qould burn the eyeballs out of a bad guy at half a mile.

Sure I liked my little 5 shot .38 Special snubbie and a flat but heavy Beretta M34 .380, but I felt I was far more likely to be stopped by a cop while walking the two miles from my of campus appartment to my girl buddy's appartment on the other side of campus than be assaulted.

Sure I had my Buck 112 in its little belt sheath, and a folder in my front left, but neither was as fast as might need be.

As it happened girlbuddy had an older MG that was frequently in need of repair. On those evening walks I there for carried the flat head and philips head screw drivers and cresent wrench I might need to work on her car with. As it turned out I needed them for the car on more than one occassion, ended up never stopped by LEOs and in the closest thing to an assault I suffered did not use them.

The four man gang that was doing the sexual assaults were caught and deported to their home land where sheria law was in force and large caucasian guys on campus breathed a sigh of releif.

What ever you do, stay with in the letter of the law and where possible the spirit of it as well.

Most importantly, take your brain along with you. Pay attention to what is going on. Don't feel you need to stand up to an annoying drunk redneck, move along, nothing to see or prove there.

-Bob Hollingsworth

wheelgunslinger
July 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
I attended App State and found the biggest danger by far was presented by the white collar gangs with Greek letters.
Most of the frat guys come from well to do families that can and will pay them out of trouble, or know how to work the system so that the charges don't go off campus and on their criminal record. And, once you tangle with one, you have to tangle with 50.

The drunken heehaw guys weren't ever really a major problem.

The rugby team was also another good group you could count on to start trouble, and they went either in pairs or groups. But, I played rugby and was friendly with them. And, they seemed to enjoy the challenge of taking on Football players instead of hippies and bony potheads.

In other words, you can likely handle any one on one conflict you may get into on campus by just putting up your dukes if you must and seeing who comes out on top. But, campus has a lot more pack mentality violence than you might believe.

So, you might consider spending time working on your core and cardio training to make sure that if you have to run for your life that you actually can, since you have to be disarmed on campus.

The hardened cane or walking stick might work. I wouldn't employ a hiking or trekking pole since they'll break or fold on the first whack.

conw
July 17, 2008, 02:57 PM
TAB, forgot to list that one.

j-easy, have you been reading Abby Hoffman or something? Maybe I should go back to working for $12/hr for the rest of my life...yeah...good idea. **** the system!

Cosmoline, thanks. I weight train a lot, and do sometimes hurt my ankles.......

hso, I do try to exercise good judgment. Drunken heehaws was a non-discriminatory way of saying frat boys. Aggressive panhandlers are tolerated, but not so much on campus - more like the exigent areas. The pitbull reference was a joke about Carl Levitian's recent account of using his shillelagh defensively...

kbob, thanks. I appreciate that input. My mindset is similar to the last paragraph; I think I have the S&T down pretty well, I'm working on my tool set. But reminders are good too.

wheelgunslinger, thanks. I train with the rugby team, and they're pretty nice guys...my conditioning is pretty good at the moment, I made a thread on it here (http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/17902/) if you're interested in weight training stuff.

Thanks for the advice everyone...keep it coming.

PS: hso, the lollysmith shillelaghs are about 3.2' long, so they are in the "plausibly a cane" realm.

Saba
July 17, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hey,

Well depending on what state you live in, there are several options available to you. As one post said, the primary weapon is your brains but when you support that with non lethal devices you will be in good shape.
Now what self defense weapon to get depends on the type of person you are. Deep down are you a person who can RESPONSIBLY have a knife with you and use it first as a deterrent before using it as a last resort or will you go out swinging at the smallest sign of threat. The reason I ask that is because you always have to take the law into account when deploying a weapon (lethal or otherwise).
Self defense is not just using a weapon. There is something called verbal self defense where if you know how to talk your way out of a situation then you re truly well armed.

sometimes just how you walk or talk can tell a lot to your potential attacker. The objective is never to use your weapon, but to have it "just in case"

Lets assume you are a person with a vulnerable demeanor/disposition and an attackers gets attracted to you somehow. If you are looking for a non lethan self defense device while you are outdoors then something like a taser gun or stun gun can do the job well and even a personal alarm.
Reason I say that is because stun guns (http://www.safetybasement.com/Personal-Safety-Products-s/619.htm) have an amazing psychological as well as physical effect.
it is psychological because just engaging the probes infront of an attacker can send them packing. And if they venture closer, you can stun the daylights out f them. Some stun guns have up to over 1 million volts of take down power.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/pentagondefense_2007_349435990
http://www.personalarms.com/images/HotShotHand.jpg

Indoors:
If you are indoors then to protect your house you can get many other options. You can get a stun baton or taser that you can have under your pillow. For the house you can install window alarms and door jammers.

A burglars worst nightmare is Sound, light and time. If you can enhance these three things you will probably stay safe.

Got the images from: www.safetybasement.com (http://www.safetybasement.com/Stun-Gun-Retailer-Personal-Protection-Stun-Gun-s/49.htm)

conw
July 17, 2008, 03:30 PM
Saba, the knife is more for apples and cheese and string.

I don't much care for the idea of a stun gun unless it was a projectile (Taser) model, and I am trying to avoid overt weapons. Aside from the pepper spray, which is "less than lethal." (I know, so are electrical weapons, but they would get me in more trouble here).

I am pretty well outfitted for my house...a couple of guns there.

Thanks for the reply. I liked what you said about 'mindset.'

JShirley
July 17, 2008, 03:32 PM
I don't believe advertising your weapons is a good policy.

conw
July 17, 2008, 03:39 PM
Were you talking to me or the previous poster JS?

M203Sniper
July 17, 2008, 03:47 PM
Don't underestimate the effectivness of a stun Gun, and don't jump on a Taser because it is a projectile. Read up on their AFID first.

Every time a TASER cartridge is deployed, 20-30 small confetti-like Anti-Felon Identification (AFID) tags are ejected. Each AFID is printed with the serial number of the cartridge deployed, allowing law enforcement to determine which cartridge was fired. This system was originally developed to prevent misuse of TASER devices by private citizen users

http://www.taser.com/research/technology/Pages/AFID.aspx

That's why I'll never own a taser.

You might consider a pocket knife and some training as your most effective tool and keep an ASP or bat in your car....if your not the road rage type.

j-easy
July 17, 2008, 03:51 PM
j-easy, have you been reading Abby Hoffman or something? Maybe I should go back to working for $12/hr for the rest of my life...yeah...good idea. **** the system!

not what i meant, i'm referring to the fact that you can't have guns for personal protection on campus. leaving law abiding college students defenseless against the criminals who will bring weapons regardless of laws. now this isn't going to stop me from getting my education, but it really annoys me.

TAB
July 17, 2008, 03:56 PM
not what i meant, i'm referring to the fact that you can't have guns for personal protection on campus. leaving law abiding college students defenseless against the criminals who will bring weapons regardless of laws. now this isn't going to stop me from getting my education, but it really annoys me.

if you beleave a gun is the only way to defend yourself, chances are very good you won't be able to defend yourself with one.

Its not the hardware folks, its the software.

j-easy
July 17, 2008, 04:02 PM
the gun would be the most effective tool for defending against a threat with a gun, you can't run away from bullets.

hso
July 17, 2008, 04:04 PM
conwict,

John's addressing Saba's reference to displaying a knife first as a deterrent before using it as a last resort. Neither one of us, nor most trainers, advocate brandishing a knife to change the minds of an attacker. A knife is a lethal weapon that gets it's maximum benefit during an attack by being deployed without the attacker seeing it. Common thought aside, brandishing a knife is not a good idea. Most of Saba's other advice is consistent with SD trainers.

TAB
July 17, 2008, 04:05 PM
ok so some one points a gun at you and says give me your money.

Do you:

A) draw your weapon and fire

B) give him your money

A will get you killed, I don't care how fast you are, your not faster then some ones trigger finger.

B might get you killed, but you atleast have a chance.

With out training all a gun is going to do is make your pants fall down.

j-easy
July 17, 2008, 04:26 PM
the point i was trying to make is that it should be allowed on college campuses just like most other public places.

TAB
July 17, 2008, 04:35 PM
colleges are not public places.

j-easy
July 17, 2008, 04:48 PM
what im saying is that if i can legally have a gun in my car or concealed carry at a grocery store, bank, my workplace etc. i should be able to legally do it on a college campus

TAB
July 17, 2008, 04:50 PM
why?

Cosmoline
July 17, 2008, 04:50 PM
A will get you killed, I don't care how fast you are, your not faster then some ones trigger finger.

That's a gross oversimplification. Whether or not you have a good opportunity to draw and fire depends on the circumstances. You may, or you may not. But if you have no firearm you will have a much harder time taking advantage of any opportunities that arise. I personally know two people alive and kicking who shot and killed armed criminals in confrontations. Criminals aren't always the brightest bulbs around and if you're paying attention and have iron to hand you can get your lead in first.

The only tool you really need is your brain...

It's useful, but I cannot kill people with my brain alone. I've tried and they just stand there laughing at me.

why?

That's worthy of its own thread, but my own feeling is if the college is taking public funds (as virtually all do) it must recognize basic constitutional rights. That doesn't mean they have to let everyone on campus, but those they do let on should be able to carry if they are able to do so outside campus.

walking arsenal
July 17, 2008, 04:52 PM
My brother keeps a bow in his dorm room in case of a lock down.

He says the first guy that tries to open his door is getting an arrow stuck in him.

His campus lets him have the bow too so its all good.

jpatterson
July 17, 2008, 05:13 PM
That's surprising to me about the bow, but hell, I'd bring one of mine out if I could have in my Dorm Daze. I personally always have a thick, strong pen in my pocket on campus. The butt-end applied with the right amount of force to a pressure point would probably do a little bit more than a fist in a defense situation.
I highly recommend Krav Maga for hand to hand type defense, I took it for a couple years awhile back and it is a VERY practical and educational type of fighting, as I'm sure many other THR members can attest.

JShirley
July 17, 2008, 06:45 PM
I don't believe in attempting to use "intimidation factor" with weapons, whether they are stun guns or knives.

It's hard to conceal a longarm, so if you confront someone and they surrender, that's a little different. Otherwise, in general, displaying/advertising/brandishing/dancing/whatever with your defensive tools is a bad bet.

John

conw
July 17, 2008, 08:22 PM
JS, agreed. I was confused, thinking you were referring to Saba posting his site on the thread or to me posting my list of tools/weapons. Thanks for the clarification.

I am pretty comfortable with my mindset.

I am
a) cautious
b) fairly inconspicuous
c) not weak-looking

I am not
a) a jerk
b) looking for a fight
c) going to try to be Rambo if I DO get assaulted in some capacity

By the way, though I agree with you j-easy, this thread isn't the place really to be discussing that point of contention. If you want my 2c, publicly funded colleges should have no right to ban weapons - then again, mine is not publicly funded. Touche.

Any more perspectives at all are welcomed.

One more thing JS, the Case really is highly unlikely to be deployed defensively. If my other three in the rotation ain't working I doubt I'll have time to get it out and unfold it with both hands...

JShirley
July 17, 2008, 09:13 PM
I see how my comments were easy to misinterpret. :)

I'm a big fan of full water bottles. If you're life's in danger, a hard blow to your attacker's noggin can end the attack instantly- and you can have a water bottle virtually anywhere.

John

conw
July 17, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that since we all discussed it a couple months ago. I would like to get one of those stainless steel Kleen Kanteens...with some para cord skillfully knotted it could be more than your average full waterbottle.

H088
July 17, 2008, 09:51 PM
Could carry a glass bottle such as the ones used for Sobes, a hit to the head with one of those would be allot more damaging then plastic.

JShirley
July 18, 2008, 01:36 AM
I wouldn't want to be holding a glass bottle when I hit a hard surface.

I actually plan on slamming some water bottles on cinder blocks soon, hopefully with a photographer, to demonstrate...

ArfinGreebly
July 18, 2008, 01:51 AM
a hit to the head with one of those would be [a lot] more damaging then plastic
Actually, I should imagine that "damage" isn't the objective.

You want to "encourage" the bad guy to stop doing the bad thing. If a thumping headache will accomplish that, there's no need to fragment his skull.

Preventing a crime -- even interdicting a crime -- should not be confused with punishing a crime.

KiltedClaymore
July 18, 2008, 02:02 AM
machette?

Regolith
July 18, 2008, 02:14 AM
colleges are not public places.

If it's a state University or public college/community college, the grounds and some to most of the buildings count as public places. The only exceptions are the dorms and, depending on the policy of school, buildings with ongoing classes.

kBob
July 18, 2008, 11:45 AM
TAB,

Folks that can legally carry elswhere should be able to carry on college campuses paid for with their tax dollars.

SOme of the most hanious crimes I know of have been commited on or near college campuses. I was in Tallahasse when Ted Bundy did his thing across the street from campus, he lived one block over from the route I used to go work on my girl buddy's MG.

While Danny Rollins was hacking up students I Gainesville I was employed by the University of Florida and infact my building where only three of us worked was the closest to his on campus campsite.

Monsters are not deterred by "gun free zones".

While this is a non firearms weapons board, using a firearm in self defense is statistically the most likely means to stop and attacker, prevent the complietion of the inteneded crime, not land the defender in the hospital and even the most likely to have the attacker break off without any physical violence.

WHen carrying concealed was a mere misdemenor in FLorida and Campus carry only got yu so charged and fired, I knew two different women that had been attacked on campus, both of whom drove off their attackers with handguns, one used a old .38 Special Undercover she snatched from her glove box as she dove across the front seat of her car being chasesd by a guy with a screwdriver (see sm knows of which he speaks) and the other produced a S&W 1917 .45ACP from her humongous perse as she rolled from where she had been knocked to the ground. Neither had to shoot. Both would have.

During the time period this happened there were successfull assaults on women with chemical sprays and electric weapons on or near those campuses.

In the hands of trained and responsible good citizens, guns work.

I like knives, but the fact is they are statistically one of the surist ways to get injured using them in defense. Certainly the more training one has in using a knife and fighting the less likely that is, but the same could be said of fireams. Yet firearms use in self defense tends to have a higher rate of successfuel self defense than using knives, or sounds, or chemical sprays, or attemptng to flee, or even being fully compliant with the attacker.....gosh why would anyone want their duaghters, wives, sons and selfs to be able to carry a firearm on what is property paid for with their own taxes?

-Bob Hollingsworth

conw
July 18, 2008, 12:25 PM
Just got a very sturdy short screwdriver...picked it out of the toolbox...just under 3" handle, just over 3" shaft, shaft is somewhat thick with a broad flat head. I picked it because it clearly wasn't stainless steel.

I stroked it on a cheap, rough stone until I had the profile I wanted - alternating between circular, back and forth, and side-to-side - then moved on to diamond/steel and mainly did back and forth. Then I tried to tone down the shininess of the sharpened part with a cup of hot fruit juice (it worked somewhat), threw it in the freezer, and stropped it on a belt loaded with cigar ashes, then cardboard loaded with baking soda.

The edge would make The Tourist proud. It actually shaved my arm with ease. Before it was like 1/12" thick!

Oh, and I stuck it down in a cut down plastic "Garcia y Vega" cigar tube that was a perfect fit for the handle...

JShirley
July 18, 2008, 03:55 PM
Folks that can legally carry elswhere should be able to carry on college campuses paid for with their tax dollars.

Mr. Hollingworth, that's a great sentiment, but it's illegal in GA, and most other states. I believe the chances of my being "made" on campus are much greater than the likelihood I'll be attacked, so I choose to have other items that can be pressed into use as expedient defensive tools.

John

conw
July 18, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hey, why did my post show up under Jshirley's name?

Just kidding. But I agree completely and would have typed almost the exact same thing...

rodinal220
July 18, 2008, 07:03 PM
Mag-Lite aluminum flashlight.Al-u-min-nee-um blunt trauma cannot be under estimated.

3 cell good,4 cell better,5 cell best.The can be had in C or D cell and this helps by offering size options based on your hand size.

The aluminum flashlight can shatter bones if needed,or set to "stun" with a lighter love tap to non-vital areas.

The flashlight is not a "per se" weapon until after it is used.

Those trained in various straight stick systems can adapt the aluminum shampoo stick.

Smith
July 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
+1 for Krav Maga.

kBob
July 19, 2008, 12:08 AM
JShirley and cowict,

Perhaps you should both re read my post "should be able" does not mean are able, that being my point. I can legally carry from here in Florida all the way to lake Erie, but not on college campuses. I am argueing that I should be able to carry on campus, not encouraging anyone to break the law. I even noted in my first post on this thread to always be sure to obey the law in your area.

I have yet to have anyone explain to me why I am suddenly a greater threat to socioty when I cross the property line of a university campus than when not on one.

Admittedly this is getting to the point it should go to politics. I was responding to TAB's two posts on the subject.

When the CWL legislation was being debated here in Florida (and FLorida's shall issue program has been the model for most of the countries shall issue programs) it originally did not contain language to prohibit carry on University property. THe then head of the board of regents of the University system then lobbied the legislature to add such language while the bill was in committee. Interesting ly the Board of regents professional lobbist refeused to argue to dissarm herself while she was at work and was almost fired over the issue.

I am well aware of and follow existing laws, being a CWL holder, having worked at University of Florida, and being an NRA certified instructor that teaches classes necessary for most folks to obtain a CWL in Florida. I also happen to have a Bachlors in Criminology from another Florida University, FSU, which was then recognized as one of the top schools in that field in the world.

I knew how the local LEOs were being pains about folks trying to have the means to defend themselves during the time I meantioned earlier because as part of a course taught by the county sheriff at the time at FSU, I was doing a series of observation rides with the Department. Nothing like being out in a Sheriffs car, unarmed and walking into bad places on a payday, check day, Friday night, under a full moon to make you truely more informed about "Modern Police Patrol Operations" and finding out how nervous and over reacting some folks get about what you or I might consider plain jane every day appliances.

While current laws in most states (but not all) forbid the carrying of firearms on campus, I believe those laws SHOULD be changed to allow folks legally liscensed to carry elswhere to do so on campus.

I could go on about how the moment you sharpen a screw driver it becomes a "Dirk" and is a specifically forbidden weapon, or how Florida and many other states outlaw the use or even carry of actual Taser guns on campus and limit the size of chemical defensive weapons and amount of active ingredent.

On this topic I am finished.

-Bob Hollingsworth

conw
July 19, 2008, 12:17 AM
Admittedly this is getting to the point it should go to politics.

That's all anyone was really saying...if I weren't defensive-minded I wouldn't have a gun or be worried about carrying (anything) on campus, but I'm working within my parameters.

I really do wholeheartedly agree with you, but there's a saying, "preaching to the choir," that comes to mind.

conw
July 19, 2008, 12:21 AM
I could go on about how the moment you sharpen a screw driver it becomes a "Dirk" and is a specifically forbidden weapon, or how Florida and many other states outlaw the use or even carry of actual Taser guns on campus and limit the size of chemical defensive weapons and amount of active ingredent.

I would much prefer this sort of pertinent info...though I'm not in Fl, I would be interested to hear your interpretation of law about sharpened screwdrivers being "dirks."

I have googled for a couple minutes and nothing concrete has shown up, but please share. I don't want to get in trouble for having a sharp screwdriver.

conw
July 19, 2008, 12:33 AM
Google search for "sharpened screwdriver" turned up...

A cyclist in Britain who stabbed over 2000 vehicles' tires with one

One or two murder cases

The fact that, apparently, amongst D&Ders/roleplayers/gamers, "Behold suchandsuch wielding a sharpened screwdriver!" is some kind of running joke

...but no legalese or pertinent info.

I'm intrigued.

kBob
July 19, 2008, 01:01 AM
conwict,

The problem is a judge can agree to a state's attourney calling a shapened screwdriver a dirk based upon which side of his toast fell on the floor this morning.

The fact that a screw driver has been sharpened, she might argue, indicates some intent to use it as a weapon.

The fact that you sharpened a screw driver rather than carrying a knife, he may argue, indicates you were aware you should not be carrying a recognizable weapon in the first place and were trying to cirvumvent the law and carry a concealed weapon as an unliscensed person or in a forbiden area.

Not just college campuses are forbidden areas, I was a guest at an annual Acadimics for the Second Ammendment meeting once (speaking on grass roots club activities and state level political activities) where after a grueling three hours of sitting around talking at one another about half the shakers and movers decided to hang out together, Unfortunately they headed for the hotel bar and I stopped and asked the waitress if it was a resturaunt or a place "primarily devoted to the sale of alcholic beverages." She replied that it was infact a bar and so I never crossed the thresshold. At that point one of the folks that invited me laughed and said he had fogotten that I was probably carrying and so could not go in the bar. In FLorida a person with a valid CWL is not allowed to carry in a booze hall or sit at the bar of a resturaunt that serves food mainly.

The fact that you sharpened the screw driver can be used to argue that you acted in a premeditated manner or even that you were "looking for a fight"

In the eyes of six good citizens the State attourney's arguement is likely to make pretty good sense and you may well look like a thug that needs putting away.

Note that in my earliest response here I indicated there was a legitimate reason for me to carry common tools and that I infact used them for that reason. Sharpening a screw driver would seem to have no connection with keeping a twelve year old MG convertable running well enough to be seen frequently riding in or driving said MG with a very attractive red headed lady.

Sharpening a screw driver sounds to most folks amazingly like constructing a knife with a long thin blade used mainly for thrusting.....a dirk.

-Bob Hollingsworth

conw
July 19, 2008, 01:45 AM
Bob, I'll have to "thank" (think) on this'un. There are some legit uses for a sharpened screwdriver as a tool. It doesn't diminish the capacity of a screwdriver in its normal duty, and it makes it better for prying and scraping.

Will have to think on it more...

Right now I'm thinking that I'd only use a screwdriver in such an extraordinary circumstance that the advantage may well be worth it. As I mentioned, a shillelagh and some OC would be much preferable.

You do know that only the very tip is sharpened, right? Nothing on the sides or shaft has been touched...

If you enjoyed reading about "College defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!