What is this?

PDA

jpatterson
July 17, 2008, 05:02 PM
A buddy of mine gave me this knife awhile back, I believe it was his fathers. I've seen some other things comparable to it, but no exact matches so far. It isn't the Camillus and has zero other markings on it besides "JAPAN" on one of the blade's sides. It is still sharp as a razor and I would love to get the blade fixed(?), it is starting to change colors and look a little funky. Anyone have any idea what this is or where I can take it to get it fixed up?
Shoddy phone picture, I don't have a digital.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cougfan2
July 17, 2008, 05:08 PM
Looks like a Kabar knock off. There were a bunch of companies that made them of varying quality.

Mongrel
July 17, 2008, 05:39 PM
Interesting...

It is a Camillus Pilot's Survival Knife knockoff. There is a thread here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=356960

That provides further information about them.

I have an exact look-alike to that knife with JAPAN marked on the blade as well. The one I have is not as nice and I don't have a sheath for it. Right above the JAPAN is says:

G.C. CO

It is *very* sharp and the stacked leather handle is tight and in good shape. It has the saw-back as well.

I'd be curious if anyone could furnish any additional info on it like when they were produced.

hso
July 19, 2008, 12:52 AM
What's wrong with it that needs to be "fixed"?

JShirley
July 19, 2008, 12:54 AM
it is starting to change colors and look a little funky

jpatterson
July 19, 2008, 01:00 PM
That and the top part of the handle that is closest to the blade is broken around, so the fingerguard wiggles. It could use a little reworking in general.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!