What Constitutes a "Match" Barrel

PDA

colt1903
July 17, 2008, 10:09 PM
I recently picked up a Para Ordnance PDA and the barrel is marked "Match". I also noted Springfield is touting "Match" barrels on the new XDm line-up. Is there any industry standard or commonly accepted defination on what constitutes a match barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "What Constitutes a "Match" Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wil Terry
July 17, 2008, 11:24 PM
.005" shorter than their standard run-of-the mill 1911 45ACP barrel. That was the only difference. BUT WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT WAS. [!?]

TAB
July 17, 2008, 11:25 PM
i don't beleave thier is a standard for it.

rodinal220
July 17, 2008, 11:25 PM
No industry standard.Barrels such as Fred Karts 1911 tubes are made oversize in several areas to provide extra meat for the smith to fit to the gun.Fred also uses 4150 steel and puts a real nice finish on the bore.Generally match barrels are made to higher quality levels than a factory tube.This can mean tighter chambers,better surface finish of the bore,more QC checks that ad to the cost,more expensive materials.

Jim Watson
July 18, 2008, 12:08 AM
In a mass produced gun as in the O.P. it is pure advertising agency B.S.

In an aftermarket barrel as per rodinal, it generally implies oversize outside dimensions for fitting. Note that Clark has the same accuracy specs for a welded and refitted Colt barrel as they do for their own "match" barrel. One of the few places left that will rework your gun and not throw away everything but the slide and frame.

Onmilo
July 18, 2008, 12:22 AM
Real Match barrels are air or laser guaged for straightness and generally receive a higher level of internal polish.
Some may be dimensioned to more precisely fit through ways and channels.

As stated, there are no set in stone guaging methods or standards in place for "Match" barrels.
It is based on the integrety of the seller whether they choose to mark a barrel as "Match".

BlindJustice
July 18, 2008, 01:43 AM
Select Match Grade
These stainless steel masterpieces of machining and hand lapping are intended for the competition shooter-- or even the hunter-- who wants the ultimate in accuracy and quality. These are our highest grade barrel and, of course, the most costly. What makes them so good that benchrest shooters, such as Tony Boyer, crave them? Consider this: To meet Select Match Grade criteria, the groove diameter must air gauge within .0003" of our standard diameter. Moreover, the uniformity of the bore cannot vary more than .0001" for the entire length of the barrel. These barrels are also completely stress relieved, and the bore is polished to a gleaming surface finish by our most experienced lappers.

Match Grade
Our Match Grade barrels don't quite meet Select Match criteria-- but not by much! In these barrels, the bore must measure within .0005" of our standard diameter and cannot vary in diameter more than .0003" for the length of the barrel. So how much accuracy does a couple of "tenths" give away, compared to our Select Match barrels? Perhaps not any! The point is, whether or not there is any real difference in the accuracy potential between the Match and Select Match grades, the really demanding shooter must play it safe and go with the higher grade. In many cartridges and barrel twists, the accuracy difference between the two simply can't be detected. So unless you're gunning for one-hole groups or just demand the top of the line, the Match Grade barrel is your best choice for many forms of competitive shooting and for hunting varmints and big game. The Match Grade is completely stress relieved and fully warranted. The price of Match Grade stainless steel barrels includes hand lapping to a beautifully smooth surface. Chrome-moly can be lapped to a similar finish at an additional charge.

BlindJustice
July 18, 2008, 01:57 AM
My last post was the def. of Shilen barrels and the difference thay
have as a standard - SHilens are for the benchrest rifle guys,
and they also make barrels for the silhouette pistol guys.

THis def. by Shilen defines, how consistent the bore and rifling
runs out. Getting a barrel of quality from say Bar-Sto you buy the
standard barrel, and it's the same whether or not the outside is a bit
oversize or not, it may be specified as "Fitting Required" or "Drop In"
Bar Sto has another grade up for their standard of 'Match" but it is
probably similiar to Shilen.

It may be with Para Ordnance after they make x amount of barrels
and they check them, some come out better, and get stamped 'Match'
or perhaps they have a certain number they want to make 'match' and
have hand lappers polish them up but I doubt it They're mass produced
to a price so a bit of polish will get a little more dosh on the msrp.

Randall

Onmilo
July 18, 2008, 09:58 AM
I am well aware of the better barrel producers out there having used their barrels on builds.

There still isn't an industry standard for what constitutes a "Match" barrel as you pointed out.
In other words,
You pays your money and you takes your chances,,,,,,,,,

rellascout
July 18, 2008, 10:52 AM
It is nothing but marketing. The Taurus 1911 claims to have a match barrel.

In the end you get what you pay for. I suggest looking at test data to determine what guns to get.

Also in the end most barrels are more accurate than the shooter.

BlindJustice
July 18, 2008, 11:46 AM
Rellascout sed:
Also in the end most barrels are more accurate than the shooter.

Big +1

I have a barrel from Jarvis Inc. Bill Jarvis has been making barrels
for 20+ years. My barrel from Jarvis is

http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Products/tabid/53/ctl/ProductDisplay/categoryId/11/mid/388/Default.aspx

Jarvis offers barrels for 1911s, Paras, Glocks, Berettas,
USP, SIg Sauer and perhaps another I am forgetting.

.400 CorBon "Drop In" made from 416 Rifle quality
Stainless Steel hardened to RC 40-42 - it is made
the with the outer diameter the same as a .45 ACP barrel
so it is by dimensions a "Bull" barrel

Jarvis "Drop In" Match bull Barrel

http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Products/tabid/53/ctl/ProductDetail/productId/10/mid/388/Default.aspx

The screw in bushing - I read a review on this, and after you
tighten the bushing you back it off a half turn.

Some "Match" barrels are more equal than others.

Thinking of the Para Ordnance "match" label - if they outsourced
to a custom barrel maker of note, they would certainly advertise
this fact. I think it may be more like the old Winchester '73 lever
guns which when tested at the factory, the best were engraved
"One of One Thousand." or something. Or it may be like I stated
earlier, the ones that measure the most consistent run out get the
"match" label.

Most shooters aren't capable of shooting a 'match"
barrel to the barrel's potential they just want bragging
rights.

Randall

rellascout
July 18, 2008, 12:41 PM
Most shooters aren't capable of shooting a 'match"
barrel to the barrel's potential they just want bragging
rights.

Now if they could sell me match hands I would be set.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Constitutes a "Match" Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!