Well, I obtained my first 1911.....How'd I do? (Lots of Pics)

PDA

Eightball
July 18, 2008, 12:14 AM
So, today I obtained my first 1911. It is a used, 5" Kimber Tactical II with 2nd Generation Crimson Trace Lasergrips on it (the factory ambi safety was filed down to accommodate the grips, and doesn't looked "hacked up"). It has an interesting amount of holster wear on the thing. Barrel seems much better than the usual "used" firearm. Thing being, it has the external extractor instead of the internal, but I only paid $800 even for it.

For the whole EE vs. IE thing, in my way of thinking, it went something like this: The previous owner wouldn't have spent that chunk of change on the new firearm, plopped darn near $300 grips on it, and carried it around enough to get the degree of holster wear that's on it, if the EE didn't work; using that reasoning, I went ahead and acquired the thing.

It's my first .45ACP, and first 1911 (though I've used .45ACPs previously, and have shot some lightweight Kimber 1911s before).

Thoughts on how I made out with this deal?

And of course, pictures!
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3978/img14702ta5.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4599/img145821ve8.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1757/img14622ya1.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4228/img14602np9.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7875/img14633tp4.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1254/img14682th8.jpg

Come my next paycheck, the current plan is to get a .22 Conversion Unit for the thing, so I can get gobs and gobs of trigger time behind it for cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, I obtained my first 1911.....How'd I do? (Lots of Pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tipoc
July 18, 2008, 12:56 AM
Nice looking piece.

tipoc

hankdatank1362
July 18, 2008, 12:56 AM
Dude, I'd ditch the ambi safety and FLGR and call it golden. Sweet piece!

KiltedClaymore
July 18, 2008, 12:57 AM
cant tell ya 'till ya give use a range report with pics and target postings! :D

greyson
July 18, 2008, 01:59 AM
I would drop the FLGR but keep the ambi unless/until you have a problem with it. I think they are prone to failure, but since it's already installed see how it goes.

Regards,
Greyson

presspuller
July 18, 2008, 03:26 PM
You did good.

PhysicsGuy
July 18, 2008, 03:51 PM
The ambi safety comes on all tactical kimbers. Its not an early model, since it has the bolt on magwell. I would suggest replacing the ambi safety, just so you dont have a bubba cut down job look, Im not saying you do, but the sharp cut stands out a little.

Its too bad that the grips cover the front strap checkering, but thats how the CL grips are. Did it come with the factory grips as well? Well that looks like a good acquisition, and at a good price. I just picked up an ultra tactical, and it shoots just as great as my 5" kimber. 1911s are lots of fun, good luck!

steelyblue
July 18, 2008, 04:06 PM
Nice, send it back to Kimber if you have problems, and they will replace the slide with an internal extractor slide for free.

outerlimit
July 18, 2008, 04:21 PM
Barrel seems much better than the usual "used" firearm.

Used firearms are becoming a great value because nobody can afford to shoot anymore anyways. :D

LB7_Driver
July 18, 2008, 04:29 PM
Nice, send it back to Kimber if you have problems, and they will replace the slide with an internal extractor slide for free.

Oh REALLY?
Hmmm....

Oh yea - nice piece! Especially for your first. :D

Eightball
July 18, 2008, 05:00 PM
Nice, send it back to Kimber if you have problems, and they will replace the slide with an internal extractor slide for free.Really? I keep hearing of people doing such a thing, but can't seem to find many horror stories of EEs on 5" models. However, if it's FREE to get it replaced.......hmmm.....or is it only if/when I have problems with it?

steelyblue
July 18, 2008, 05:35 PM
It's pnly when you "say" you have problems with it....wink,wink

jeepmor
July 18, 2008, 09:15 PM
Saaawwweeeett looking pistol, do it proud and feed it often.

As for the file job on the ambi side for clearance, a bluing pen or black magic marker will make that look much less obvious. A strategically placed piece of painters tape will insure you keep it off the rest of that pretty finish.

Come my next paycheck, the current plan is to get a .22 Conversion Unit for the thing, so I can get gobs and gobs of trigger time behind it for cheap.

Sounds like we'll have a new reloader soon.

jeepmor

Dobe
July 18, 2008, 09:36 PM
Another excellent deal.

Poor East Texan
July 18, 2008, 09:43 PM
I think it looks VERY good!

I think laser grips are weird.

I think it would ROCK with wood grips and as MINE!

Eightball
July 18, 2008, 10:08 PM
Sounds like we'll have a new reloader soon.

jeepmorI already reload for my .357, but don't really have anything (other than spent brass) for .45ACP. That could change relatively soon, as there's a gun show in the morning..... :P

Joshua M. Smith
July 18, 2008, 10:28 PM
Purty nice.

I'd keep the ambi safety - you never know if you may need it. I'd keep the FLGR as well - unless it's a two piece unit,then I'd go with a GI setup as the two piece ones tend to unscrew themselves.

Overall, ya' done good.

Josh <><

Frog48
July 18, 2008, 10:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of laser grips, but I can appreciate their usefulness.

Overall, its a beauty.

possum
July 18, 2008, 10:43 PM
very nice, i agree that you did good. i like the kimber tactical series pistols. i like the mag well i think that is a great feature. yours in particular i like the ct grips too, they round out the gun and make it look very nice.

i agree i am not a fan of a flgr in a 1911, but if you are ok with it, then go with it, or replace it.

keep the ambi, they come in handy especially when you are doing weak/ strong hand shooting.

Joshua M. Smith
July 18, 2008, 10:50 PM
You happen to be the same "possum" I'm familiar with?

possum
July 18, 2008, 10:54 PM
You happen to be the same "possum" I'm familiar with?
i don't think so, are you in the army? that is about the only way that i would have met you really.

Joshua M. Smith
July 18, 2008, 10:55 PM
Nope. There's another "possum" on the gunboards I guess. If you were he, you'd know my name right off the bat.

Josh <><

MaterDei
July 18, 2008, 10:56 PM
Great gun...very good price.

possum
July 18, 2008, 10:57 PM
i am possum on getoffthex and here, and dothedietdew every where else.

Drail
July 19, 2008, 07:05 PM
Lose the laser unless you like being an EZ to SEE target.

Eightball
July 20, 2008, 12:17 AM
It's pnly when you "say" you have problems with it....wink,winkJust out of curiousity....what problems should I be on the lookout for, and what do people "say" is wrong with their EEs that Kimber will almost surely replace the top, free of charge? I'm not looking to hose Kimber, just trying to get some information here.

steelyblue
July 20, 2008, 12:36 AM
It was a failed design that they abandoned rather quickly. It caysed all kinds of failures to eject. They are replacing them, so I would go ahead and get it done while they still do it. They do a whole lot more free work when you send it in as well. They don't ask if it is used, so don't mention it. I have 2 different models with internal extractors that have run flawless for over 2000 rounds each, but there have been horror stories about the EE's. Do a search on this forum and you will probably find a lot of info. Here is a link to some good info: http://forums.1911forum.com/search.php?searchid=2709744

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, I obtained my first 1911.....How'd I do? (Lots of Pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!