Bladetech vs Safariland?

PDA

Skunkabilly
January 13, 2003, 07:19 PM
I haven't owned either, other than my Wilson holsters (similar to Safariland).

Which do y'all use and recommend for concealment and competition?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bladetech vs Safariland?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 13, 2003, 08:21 PM
Jeff, I have a Blade Tech & an Uncle Mike's Kydex holster for a couple of my USPs. Uncles Mikes just doesn't seem as well finished, I much prefer the BT's ;) As for the Safariland, I haven't had occassion to try their kydex stuff yet so I can't reply on the stuff.
Oh, functionally, I prefer kydex (although I haven't tried alot of manufacturer, yet). But for looks & comfort, I like leather.

mark mcj
January 13, 2003, 10:56 PM
I have 2 Safariland holsters, one for my 1911's and Hi-power, another for my S&W 586. I like leather and the lack of wear it does to the firearm. I also have a couple Talon Tactical holsters that are make of Kydex. The Kydex holsters are fast but I can tell no difference between them and the Safariland models. I also have a Bladetec for my Glock 35, it does a fine job. All the above are used for competition only. Not that I'm a great competitor.
The attachment shows my 2 Safariland model 561 holsters they both are for the belt not paddle.

yzguy
January 14, 2003, 03:40 PM
also might consider :
http://www.fist-inc.com/
and
http://www.comp-tac.com/

I did have a Blade-Tech holster that I got used, it was a nice holster, but sold it because it turns out I did not need/want a tuckable IWB (and non tuckable one is shorter and thinner). I then tried to order another from them online, and my order seemed to get lost. I tried emailing to check on it (over a month later) and got no response. I emailed again to cancel (as I had received another holster already from another source) and still no reply..... just and FYI on one persons online experience.

here are some of my opinions on the comp-tac and fist holsters that I have:
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/hosters.htm

ajacobs
January 14, 2003, 03:52 PM
You may want to consider www.sidearmor.net I am not a fan of the safariland and the only bladetec's I have are from when they were the only ones in the kydex game. They were allot less finished than they are now. Although Sidearmor only manufactures for a few different firearms they have the highest degree of refinement I have seen in any kydex.

VaughnT
January 14, 2003, 04:52 PM
Here's my take:

I bought an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle for my 1991 when I had to qualify with it in NC. Quality was very nice and they are dirt cheap. The paddle is impossible to get on with any convenience and impossible to get off, too. It sure won't come off on the draw, but the paddle is supposed to be removeable at some point! That's the whole reason behind them.:banghead:

The clip-on mag holder is similar in difficulty, but it is ambidextrous and holds the mag tightly without any need for tension screws.

The fit and finish of both is exceptional, imo, and the price can't be beat.

For duty use, I couldn't get UM to make me a holster to fit a 2" duty belt, so I called BladeTech. The make one-off holsters for a variety of purposes and were glad to help fill me needs.

The dual mag holder has their neat TekLok to fasten it to the belt and is adjustable to fit up to a 2.25" belt. Other than that, I think the construction is horrid! I simply cannot believe how they made the thing, wish I could attach a pic, and would recommend UM over BT if you want a well-made mag holder....especially when you consider that the BT holder is twice the price.

The BT holster is very nice, but is it worth $100? I got the Dropped & Offset model to accomodate my lovehandles and provide something like a jacket slot. The body of the holster covers the entire weapon and has a very nice thumb-break strap that can be deactivated by snapping it down to the outside of the holster, or removed entirely.

The holster hanger does not lock on to the duty belt like all of the others I have seen. I'll have to fabricate a locking mechanism of some kind if I don't want my weapon to shift as I walk around.

I also had to install a .250" shim between the hanger and the holster body because the screws that hold the thumb-break on were rubbing against the hanger. This negated the jacket slot potential and might have interfered with loosing the security strap if a shirt/jacket got wedged in there. I might have to install a .500" shim if the narrow one proves insufficient.

Aesthetically, I like the lines of both holsters. I was a little perturbed by the stainless steel snap on the outside of the holster (for the thumbstrap) because the rest of the holster, screws and all, is tactical black. I also wondered why all of the screws were phillips-head except the one that holds the outside snap, which is allan-head. Why the discrepency?

Sadly, I can't tell you how my new gear performs as it arrived in the mail just a moment after I boxed up my 1991 for shipment to Ted Yost. As soon as he's finished with it, I'll put it all together and make a formal report.

faustulus
January 16, 2003, 05:20 AM
I haven't tried the Safariland, but I own about 9 or 10 bladetech IWBs I use them on hot days and for IDPA and IPSC (yes I use IWB in IPSC) I cannot recomend them highly enough. They cost more but in my opinion are worth it. There is just something nice about hearing that click as you pistol slides in you holster. Also the are ususally easier on the gun's finish.

AK103K
January 16, 2003, 04:06 PM
I agree with faustulus, Blade-Tech makes a great holster. I have a bunch of them too. Well worth the money.

Northwest Cajun
January 18, 2003, 12:25 AM
Here is another vote for Blade tech.

I can almost see there shop from my work. They are a bunch of great frendly people. I stopped by to ask about a holster for my Taurus revolver and they did not make one, but they would be more than happy to make a mold of my pistol so one can be made.I dropped it off in the morning and it was done by that afternoon and it was only half price!!
I think they make a great product and will stand behind it 100%!

Cajun

Lennyjoe
January 18, 2003, 01:26 AM
Love my Comp-Tac Undercover.

KMKeller
January 18, 2003, 01:32 AM
Here's another vote for Blade-Tech. I've got one for my HK USP Tactical that is fantastic.

vertigo7
January 18, 2003, 09:23 AM
I bought a Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster when I started to CCW with my HS2000. Retention is exellent. I did a handstand with the rig and an unloaded gun once, just to see if everything would stay put. The gun will not come out of the holster unless I want it to. I'll be going back to Blade-Tech for another holster for my new Para-Ordnance P-16 when it arrives.

vertigo7

twoblink
January 19, 2003, 12:48 PM
I can't speak for the Safariland ones, but my Bladetech holster for my Steyr is awesome! I love it, and much better Fit and Finish then Uncle Mikes...

They customed designed mine too; to my specs without problem.

They made one for my Steyr M40, with a speed draw notch.. Arrived like 3 days later.. Awesome quality, and great service; the guy I talked to on the phone went through great lengths to tell me the different configurations and choices, and what the advantages of each is.

Jumped up and down and ran around my house with my gun in holster, it will not fall out unless I want it to, like previously said.

BT vote, definitely.

Lone_Gunman
January 19, 2003, 02:05 PM
is the blade-tech website down or is it just me?

try www.blade-tech.com and let me know

curt
January 19, 2003, 02:33 PM
I like my bladetech IWB which i use for my Glock 27 a lot. I have not been real happy with the cheaper holsters like the Fobus. Another holster i really like is made by FIST (http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm) i use one for my Glock 35 and intend to order one soon for my PO LDA. Very thin and light, fights my body like a glove and is modular so you can use it in different configuartions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bladetech vs Safariland?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!