S&W 629 Classic Hunter vs. Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter

PDA

gizamo
July 18, 2008, 07:30 PM
Forums Enthusiast

Been wanting to do this for awhile. Two great hunting .44 Magnums by my favorite makers

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/Gizamo1/hunters003.jpg

Tomorrow is going to be a good day at the range....Think I'm going to take these two birds out on the Steel Plates and then to the 100 yard gong range. Same loads for both guns 7.3 grains of Unique, 265 grain SWC that I cast and sized to .429, with Winchester primers....

And seeing as I'll be the only shooter ~ winner takes the pink slips ;)

Giz

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 629 Classic Hunter vs. Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gizamo
July 19, 2008, 03:57 PM
OK, it is now tommorrow:)

The test was inconclusive so far. In single action mode the two guns were equals on the steel plates, until you went for speed. Then the S&W had a slight edge coming onto target again. I would attribute this to the combat style grips. Of course in DA mode the Smith won hands down in speed. Reloading was all Smith&Wesson as you could put two cartridges in at a time by hand and the star ejector was of course 6 times faster....

The 100 yard gong was a totally different matter. I could compete against the S&W gun for gun ~ SA vs. DA~ all day long. The Smith just would not regulate to the load I designed. And the Ruger fell in love with it. Earlier in the day I had put more then 100 rounds through the Ruger and it needed a serious cleaning. But the first few passes of the day were hitting the big gong 4-5 times out of 6. And the small gong 2-3 times out of 6. All off a rest.

The 629 just wasn't happy with the load and failed to hit the big gong almost all of the time. Forget about the little one. So I will slug the barrel, number the cylinder, and find out what it likes ~ and what cylinder holes work best with that load.

To be fair about this ~ that Ruger is usually scoped and has no problem reaching out to 300 yards and making consistant hits. I removed the scope for the experiment. The 7.5 barrel allows for a bit more sight radius and velocity. And the load used is a proven load with that gun. I need time to regulate a load to the 629 for a equal comparison at longer range.

So in a nutshell synopsis of Round 1 and 2...

S&W wins round 1 on steel plates....
Ruger scores a knock down in Round2....

Giz

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 629 Classic Hunter vs. Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!