Benchmade neck knife

PDA

EMT40SW
July 19, 2008, 03:22 PM
Any of you own the Benchmade Instigator Model 105036?

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=bm10536bp

If you enjoyed reading about "Benchmade neck knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
July 19, 2008, 03:53 PM
No.

The two I do recommend and use:

1. Original Becker-Necker.
2. Krein Dogfish with plain edge and mine currently is SV30

I am getting real great feed back with those with the Buck Hartstooth, in SV30
I would like to get my grubby paws on one. I personally feel a non coated version of Buck's with a bottle opener would be best.

I often just "cow-hitch" the cord, over my belt, and stick in my back pocket, the Becker or Dogfish.

I actually need another Dogfish, and would like to wring out a Harstooth.
I am leary of Buck's Sheath.
Tom could improve on that I know.

conw
July 19, 2008, 04:46 PM
For variety's sake, check out the Ragweed Forge Mora Shoemaker's knife...would make a nice neck knife with some para cord, and it's cheap! And guaranteed good steel...

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
(about 3/4 down the page)

conw
July 19, 2008, 04:49 PM
When you click on the pic you can see the actual size relative to a ruler.

Exmasonite
July 19, 2008, 07:04 PM
for inexpensive but reliable little neck knives, i'd say look at the CRKT Falcon, discontinued but available online, evil-bay.

also, the CRKT side hawg series are nice little knives, if a little unconventional as far as sheathes go.

VegasOPM
July 19, 2008, 11:54 PM
+1 on the CRKT's. I have had one for several years and it does the job. The skeletonzied handle has a multitude of uses as well, like tightening or loosening wing nuts.

dairycreek
July 20, 2008, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE]Any of you own the Benchmade Instigator Model 105036?/QUOTE]

Yes! I have owned and carried it for about two years. Use the carry case and secure it with stainless steel "plumbing chain" (really don't know the correct name for it) and this combo works quite well. Wear it just above my waist line so reaching under my shirt allows for a swift and accurate draw.

Keep the knife clean and lightly oiled (use Eezox) and have had no problems with rust. For what it cost it is a good buy.

Browning
July 26, 2008, 07:06 PM
I've had an Benchmade Instigator for about 6 months or so.

I bought the Instigator and a Spyderco Snody Ronin at the same time thinking that the Ronin would make a great EDC knife and that the Instigator would make a good knife for EMS work, I was both right and wrong about my guess.

The knives themselves are great (they're big enough to get almost any job done, but they're small/thin and light enough to carry all day and Wharncliffe blades are real cutters on seatbelts, medical packages, splints and boxes), but I don't like the sheath from either one very much. The sheath on it is to be used for carrying it as a neck knife (maybe I just haven't gotten used to the idea, but I'd feel kind of silly carrying a knife around my neck) and when I tried it for a minute or two just to see what it would be like it seemed like it would really be kind of bothersome. Plus there's no clip or belt loop to put it in your pocket or on a belt.

That's where the criticism ends though, for the knife itself : Even though it's handle was a little too thin for me, I really liked the knife. To make the handle larger I wrapped the handle on the Instigator with green paracord weaved in and out of the holes and it fits in my hand perfectly now. Now I just need to buy or make a decent kydex sheath for both of them that will clip inside a waistband or inside a front pants pocket like the custom sheaths from Graham Brothers and then I can alternate carry back and forth between them.

I ended up with the Instigator thrown in for free as part of the deal for the Ronin and I ended up liking it quite a bit (not as much as I like the Ronin, but more than I thought I would).

For the price ($30-40 from what I've seen) it seems like a pretty good knife and if you're looking for something new I'd get one.

JTW Jr.
July 26, 2008, 07:08 PM
I have the BM210 , that wears nicely as a necker.

Others neckers I have/use are :
Simonich Bitteroot
Alan Folts Baby Bear
Jim Burke Snitch
Jim Burke PK-1 Proto
Strider ED.

Tom Krein
July 26, 2008, 07:51 PM
I would recommend one of the Emerson La Griffe's. I have one and really enjoy it...

LINK (http://www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html)

Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "Benchmade neck knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!