Mag Disconnect

PDA

Zhivago
July 19, 2008, 03:42 PM
Are mag disconnects primarily for CA residents? I'm looking at buying an M&P40 and while browsing online the model I had originally looked at was $520 but then I found a model without the mag disconnect for only $440. Is there any real reason to consider paying extra for the mag disconnect with the provision that one follows responsible ownership guidelines when cleaning?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mag Disconnect" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jimmie
July 19, 2008, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't buy a gun with a mag disconnect, so I'd consider the lower price bonus.

highlander 5
July 19, 2008, 04:07 PM
I believe Ma has the same requirements but who says you can't have it removed?

dogrunner
July 19, 2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah, you can remove the feature, but, it CAN save your butt.

Not so much an issue for the average Joe, but that disconnect feature is a more than useful tool for a LEO. Think about it, which would you rather have in a 'rollin' around in a filthy bathroom wrestlin' with a naked soaking wet crazy crack addict determined to take your gun and kill you with it', a shoot when you get your finger in the trigger guard Glock or a Smith that'd let you dump the mag and render the friggin' thing unshootable!

Ask me how I know the right choice!

In short, it's really not the be and end all arguments solution, but it IS a very viable safety mechanism and those that ignorantly deride it have NEVER 'been there, done that'.

Zhivago
July 19, 2008, 04:24 PM
That makes sense the way you describe it for an LEO but for an average person it's a fairly extraneous addition considering the added expense...does that sound fair enough? I dont know what kind of assurances I'm looking for really, just some idea of why it might be worth it for me to pay the extra?

rcmodel
July 19, 2008, 04:26 PM
+1 Dogrunner
I agree.

Mag safeties have undoubtedly saved more officers lives then cost them lives.

The Illinois state police had several documented cases of it after they adopted the Model 39, and later 59 S&W's early on.

I see mag safeties as no hindrance to a guns normal use, and certainly an added bonus if a crack-head is about to disarm you.

The typical argument is, it renders a gun inert during mag changes.
How is this different then having the slide locked back by the slide stop after you run the gun dry?

Ahhh! Count your shots in every gunfight, you say!
Poppycock! I say to that!

Another added bonus I really like is for a gun that must be left in a car while you go into a "no guns" zone. Take the mag with you and even if a low-life scumbag steals it, he can't make it work to kill some innocent 7-11 clerk with it.

rcmodel

Chipperman
July 19, 2008, 05:24 PM
The typical argument is, it renders a gun inert during mag changes.
How is this different then having the slide locked back by the slide stop after you run the gun dry?

The difference is that the gun can still function during a tactical reload if there is no disconnect. A gun with a mag disconnect is a brick while the mag is out.

The practical relevance of that is a discussion for another time. ;)

rcmodel
July 19, 2008, 05:26 PM
A tactical reload takes, how long?

rcmodel

Chipperman
July 19, 2008, 05:45 PM
A tactical reload takes, how long?

Did you not read this part?: The practical relevance of that is a discussion for another time.

In mechanical terms, that is a real difference between them. Fans of the disconnect say that it may save your life. Detractors say it renders the gun useless while the mag is out, adds another mechanism that could fail, and potentially could affect trigger pull (depending on design).

Decide for yourself into which group you belong.

Zhivago
July 19, 2008, 06:04 PM
My thinking was that while I like the idea of having one, it would just be something else that might fail. I guess I'm just trying to talk myself out of it.

mljdeckard
July 20, 2008, 12:12 AM
I've considered it, but ultimately decided I don't need one.

Massad Ayoob has cited several stories where they have saved a life, but they were mostly of cops. A cop is much more likely to be grappling with a suspect than an armed citizen.

Add to that, the models that offer one are not at all the models I'm interested in.

Spyvie
July 20, 2008, 05:07 AM
I gotta believe the addition of a mag disconnect on the M&P and the SR9 and other new designs is more of a legal CYA feature. It prevents children and the average ignorant doofus from “accidentally” shooting someone after removing the mag then assuming the gun is unloaded. Dumb as it may or may not be, thats the thinking behind the CA. and MA. requirements.

I do believe any number of innocents victims have been killed by ignorance in just such a scenario. (or at least I saw that happen in a movie once)

Gary G23
July 20, 2008, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't have one. The last M&P I bought had the disconnect so I removed it.

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Mag Disconnect" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!