Cleaning my first revolver

PDA

Flynt
July 19, 2008, 06:42 PM
I bought my first revolver last night at Cabelas Ft. Worth -- a Ruger Security Six 357. Shot her today, and she shoots like a dream.

However, I'm not sure I know how to clean her. The gun is stainless and was immaculate. When I got her home I noticed the front face of the cylinder looked like someone had blued it. Same thing for the front of the frame next to the barrell. I assume it's a really carbon, lead, et al, deposit. My normal stuff I use, such as Hoppes no. 9 and CLP don't seem to phase it. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning my first revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
July 19, 2008, 07:36 PM
For stainless guns ONLY, buy a "lead-away" cloth at most any gun shop.
This is a heavy cloth the literally wipes the carbon off with just light rubbing.

DO NOT use on a blued gun, it also wipes bluing right off.

The Lone Haranguer
July 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
Hot gases blow through the barrel/cylinder gap on any revolver, leaving carbon deposits ("burn rings") on the front face of the cylinder and around the barrel's breech end (forcing cone) and frame. I don't worry too much about them unless so much builds up that it retards the rotation of the cylinder, then I just scrub the areas with a toothbrush and solvent. When I want to completely remove them I too use the "lead-away" cloth.

lee n. field
July 19, 2008, 10:57 PM
Like a turn ring it's an unavoidable sign that you're actually using the gun.

Myself, I don't bother trying to get the front of the cylinder pristine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning my first revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!