Shooting a muzzleloader?

PDA

357mag357
July 20, 2008, 02:58 PM
Thinking about getting a Remington Genesis™ Muzzleloaders. I have never shot one before but have shot many rifles and shotguns. Is a 50cal muzzleloader like shooting a 12g slug from a shotgun? The model I was thinking about getting is the one with the thumbhole for added control. Any thoughts about the Remington? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting a muzzleloader?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oldnamvet
July 20, 2008, 04:58 PM
A 50 cal muzzleloader will have less recoil than an equivalent weight single shot 12 ga with a slug. My 50 cal muzzleloaders (flintlocks) are heavier than my shotguns and actually quite mild as to recoil. Since I am a traditionalist as far as bp goes, I have not owned or handled the particular rifle you are asking about. Someone else who has some experience with it will be along to answer that question.

arcticap
July 20, 2008, 07:35 PM
I shouldered the Remington several weeks ago at Cabela's and it was surprisingly comfortable, much nicer than the CVA break action that was next to it.

The Remington drop block action is newer and a little bit different, but from reading the Cabela's reviews everyone seems to like it.

The Traditions Yukon is a very similar model with a shorter nickeled barrel for less money. Both are made in Spain by Ardesa.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R4100

There's nothing wrong with the drop block design, it's very easy to open and close, although it almost seems too easy, but it only holds the primer. The next simplest design is the break action, but instead of breaking the action open, the drop block flips up and over.

The .50 is more like a 16 gauge when its fully loaded with powder. It really depends on the weight of the rifle and the bullet and the amount of powder loaded. 777 really kicks compared to other powders, and with a heavyweight bullet it will kick more like a 12 gauge.
But with the most popular bullets weighing ~250 grains, it recoils less than a 12 gauge slug for sure. With a scope the Remington has enough weight to dampen the recoil, and it is heavier and longer than the Traditions Yukon.
There's really no need to shoot more than 100 grains of powder anyway. :)

armedandsafe
July 20, 2008, 07:56 PM
Basically,you are pushing a 180 grain roundball bullet (standard weight for many 30-06 hunting loads) at about 1200 to 1700 fps (1/2 to 2/3 of 30-06) from a rifle which weighs somewhat more than a commercial 30-06 to just a tad more than a military 30-06.

If you have been shooting shotgun and "big-bore" rifles, you won't even notice the recoil. I have loaded my Hawkens with 360 gr bullets and 100 grains (volume) of powder and had my granddaughter shooting it since she was 8 years old.

Here is a good link:

http://pages.sssnet.com/go2erie/muzzle.htm

Pops

antiliberal454
July 24, 2008, 03:59 PM
i have a .50 thompson center blackdiamond it is a newer muzzleloader, its fairly light with a stainless barrel and synthetic stock and it kicks less then any 12 gauge with slugs i have shot i believe its because its a slow shove compared to a sharp punch type feel

RoaringBull
July 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
Just get ya a flintlock and try that first....traditional is the way to go!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting a muzzleloader?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!