Paul Presto

PDA

ArfinGreebly
July 21, 2008, 03:00 AM
Some years ago, I bought my dad a Gerber Paul knife.

Something like this:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=115069&d=1265607322
. . .or this . . .
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=81694&d=1216619964

It was a tad pricey, but my dad had always had a soft spot for Gerbers, and had taught me at one point that a knife didn't have to be big to be useful.

I've drooled over the Paul series for some years. Recently (what, 2001? 2002?), when some former Gerber employees formed Lone Wolf knives and put Paul Poehlmann's designs into production, I found myself drooling again but, with an MSRP of over $100, I couldn't really justify spending that kind of money on myself.

My son and the wife lady had no such compunction and, when they found that I'd been oggling the Paul pieces, they kind of conspired to hit me with a belated Father's Day gift.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=115068&d=1265607148

What was I supposed to do? Say no?

It's currently in EDC rotation.

Never thought I'd own one.

Took a little explaining to the wife what that pensive look was all about. "Gee, I thought you'd look happier." She thought I didn't like it.

I mean, really, what kind of moron "looks glum" when you give him a fine new knife for which he's been pining?

*Raises Hand*

That would be me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Paul Presto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hangtime
July 21, 2008, 06:33 AM
now that you're stuck with one I guess you'll just have to suck it up and deal with it.:D

hso
July 21, 2008, 11:15 AM
Great knives and now better from the folks at Lone Wolf.

I do hope you told your wife the story about your dad and that you were just misting up a little.

conw
July 21, 2008, 11:57 AM
Took a little explaining to the wife what that pensive look was all about. "Gee, I thought you'd look happier."

I know what you mean.

Good for you, though; how about a review?

ArfinGreebly
July 22, 2008, 12:41 AM
Well, sure, but it will have to be in between tactical missions.

And, yes, I did get her straightened out on how I responded to the gift.

Now she's all smug.

*Sigh*

I'm contemplating removing the pocket clip. In general, I don't wear knives clipped to my clothing. There are a couple of exceptions, but that's because they're really too big to ride down in the pocket. This one is, as you can see, not too big. With a 2.4-inch blade, this thing is very pocket manageable. Trouble is, the clip is actually a nuisance if you carry it down in the pocket, and it presents a "wear point" against the pocket's fabric.

No, I wouldn't throw the clip away, just keep it in the original box.

Thoughts on that?

hso
July 22, 2008, 11:16 AM
If it's easily removable, there's not reason not to.

conw
July 22, 2008, 02:24 PM
I don't like clip knives any longer either, partly due to SM's preaching and partly just because.

So go for it. Although you could also use it to clip it to things in your pocket...money clip type thing.

seeker_two
July 23, 2008, 07:07 PM
I don't like clip knives any longer either, partly due to SM's preaching and partly just because.

I like clip knives.....but I wear mine IWB with the clip behind the belt....better retention & doesn't stand out.....

Nice knife, AG..... :cool:

JShirley
July 24, 2008, 01:13 AM
Well, I could see valid reasons for not liking them.

Personally, I like them. Rather like I prefer holsters for guns- because they hold the tool in a certain spot.

J

If you enjoyed reading about "Paul Presto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!