Les Baer PII Question

PDA

Matt King
July 21, 2008, 04:07 PM
What type of sights do they use on these?
Are they BCMS's?
Anybody know how durable these are? I'd like to hear from people who have actual expierence w/ these guns.
Also, what do one of these retail for?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Les Baer PII Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
July 21, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hey Matt,

There are a few of us Baer owners on here. I'm not too sure of the retail price after the recent price increase, but give Becky at Sporting Arms or John at Proload a call. I'm guessing it'll be somewhere between $1550 - $1600 right now.

The Premier II uses their own proprietary adjustable sights, which are still quite good. They offer a nice, crisp sight picture, but are pretty sharp around the edges.

If you get a PII, get the "Tactical" PII. It'll be dehorned around the edges, since some parts of the regular PII are still sharp. It took a few months of consistant shooting to finally "wear down the edges" on my sights so that it wouldn't cut me anymore when holstered.

Overall, it's a great gun for the money (I hate to use the word value). It'll be cheaper in price than the other semi-custom guns but these things are rated at 3" @ 50 YARDS. Most other manufacturers have accuracy guarantees at 25 yards.

Go for one. My PII is my beater gun that just keeps on tickin'.

Good luck.

Matt King
July 21, 2008, 10:43 PM
Richard, I assume you mean the "SuperTac" right?
Another question: have you ever had an issue with a malfunction drill and those sharp adjustable sights cutting your hand?

Thanks

Black Majik
July 22, 2008, 12:31 AM
Matt,

There should be a "PII Tactical" version also. It's just a dehorned PII, different than the Supertac.

I'm cut my hands on the rear sight quite a few times, especially on racking the slide. In the beginning i scratched my arm walking around with the gun holstered and having my arm swinging against the sight.

But, all those sharp edges pretty much have gone away.

If you're worried about the adj. sights, the Custom Carry is exactly the PII, except it'll come with fixed night sights and dehorned.

Good luck.

robctwo
July 22, 2008, 12:45 AM
They are durable. I bought one with the 1.5" guarantee slightly used. I've put thousands of rounds through it without any troubles at all. Seems to improve over time with good hard use. I liked it so well I bought a 9mm PII new.

Rinspeed
July 22, 2008, 12:55 PM
The PII was running $1530 a couple months ago and the TRS was right at $1700. As long as you know going in they are built on the tight side you should be very happy.

Matt King
July 22, 2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the responses.
One more question:
What are the main differances between the Custom Carry & the Thunder Ranch Special?

Rinspeed
July 22, 2008, 04:50 PM
The Custom Carry has the ambi safety, three hole trigger, regular grips and only two mags. The TRS has single safety, solid trigger, thin grips and three mags. Other than that I think they are the same.

Black Majik
July 22, 2008, 05:38 PM
The TRS also has a checkered MSH vs. the serrated on the Custom Carry.

Oh, the TRS logo too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Les Baer PII Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!