Range Report: 2-band Enfield

PDA

TheWall
July 21, 2008, 05:22 PM
I was able to get out to the range today for a short shooting session with my 2-band Enfield from Armi-Sport.

Here is my target shot at 100 yards (see below).

All shots were from 100 yards, seated.

I used 60 grains of FFG Goex followed by overshot card, swaged pritchett ball pre-coated with Rooster Jacket, lubed in the base.

The one shot on the edge of the black was my last shot -- I changed the point of aim slight lower to try and get a bulls-eye. The other shots were using the same point of aim.

Next time I should have even tighter groups.

This rifle seems to like 60 grains of FFG. If I go lower, the groups start to open up.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2690608372_a0a4ce6fee_b.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: 2-band Enfield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Voodoochile
July 21, 2008, 06:13 PM
A very respectable group & congrats to the range time. :D

Yeah the Zouave that I had "long story but still kicking my self for letting it go" liked 60gr. FFG Goex as well & was a supper shooter out to 125 yards "the max range that I shot it at."

Threeband
July 21, 2008, 10:11 PM
Nice shooting! Beautiful rifle!

You might try 3Fg also. Seems to burn a little cleaner.

Where'd you get the swaged Pritchets?

arcticap
July 21, 2008, 10:22 PM
That's a nice looking rifle & 100 yard target!
Hitting the black at 100 yards is as good as a bullseye.
Who can see scoring rings at that range anyway?
Everyone needs to make up their own rules about what a bullseye is and isn't.
No one can argue balls and strike with a baseball umpire either.
If a pitch goes over the black edge around home plate and he calls it a strike, then it's a strike! :D

sharps59
July 21, 2008, 10:26 PM
WAll
not bad.
If I remember right I think a full milatery charge was 68grn.:banghead:
Have you thought about trying 3fffg and a std minnie or the RCBS Hodgens bullet. w/ the std minnie I was able to use 48 of 3fffg w/ the RCBS got it down to 42 of 3fffg. Goex in both my P-H 3 band enfiels musket and my euro arms enfield musketoon. shot these for 15 yrs until I switched to a colt and 63 sharps carbine.
with my colt signature series changes from goex to swiss I was able to drop it even more, down to 38 of 3fffg. w/ same results.
See you are in VA. have you looked up the N-SSA site. there home range is in Winchester. VA
try these
BU0901 Dixie Cast Minie Bullet .577 use a beeswax olive oil about 50/50 mix liquide

TheWall
July 21, 2008, 10:27 PM
Where'd you get the swaged Pritchets?

I got them from Dixie Gun Works:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=13049&osCsid=3743a9f6a17cb5da2bf5754d8f8ee29e

As long as I coat them with Rooster Jacket (and let them air dry at least 24 hours), they work really well. Again, the overshot card along with lubing the base works really well. The card does not seem to inhibit the expansion of the bullet's skirt.

sundance44s
July 22, 2008, 08:20 AM
Your enfield shoots just like my Zouave at 100 yards with PRB`s a little high ..I`ve never shot the minnie`s out of mine , bet they would come down to the black ring though .

bigjohnson
July 23, 2008, 09:56 PM
I've got a hand-built reproduction of an 1855 Harpers Ferry rifle. I shoot minie balls that I cast in a Lyman 575213-OS mould. The bullets come out of the mould at .578 diameter, and I lube them and size them down to .575. My gun has a bore diameter of .577, so the .575 bullets load quickly and easily and expand so the the gun will shoot a 3 1/2-inch group at 100 yards. After one afternoon of experimentation, I worked up the perfect load... 42 grains of FFg. I started at 40 grains, and shot 5 rounds each of 40, 42, 44, 46, and 48 grains. The 42-grain load shot the best, so I'm sticking with that.
The lube I use is 2 parts beeswax and 1 part Crisco. Hold the bullet by the nose and dip the base into the melted lube, up past the grooves, and set it aside to cool. When you get 'em all lubed, run 'em through the sizing die, which removes excess lube, and they're ready to fit into the plastic cartridge tubes that hold the pre-measured charges of powder.
Then it's off to the range!
By the way, you're wasting time and money using the over-powder card wads. Forget 'em.
Oh. One thing I forgot: Slug your bore, and size your bullets 1 or 2 thousandths smallet than your bore diameter. That will give you ease of loading and accurate performance.

sharps59
July 23, 2008, 10:08 PM
want tubes go to northeast trade co site,
I lube diffrent I size mine first, then load them up in the tubes point first then use a inside outside luber that John also sells, used the lube that came w/ it until gone. now i use beeswax olive oil equal parts liquid for hot weather. I add more oil for cold weather.
stopped using crisco found it turns after awhile.

Omnivore
July 23, 2008, 10:24 PM
Those are such pretty rifles...
Pretty nice group there.

Everyone needs to make up their own rules about what a bullseye is and isn't.

Well, officially, it's cut and dried. If the ball touched a ring, you receive the higher score. That one looks like a touch, hence it is in the black. Anything outside the largest ring is a miss.

But of course when you're merely shooting for group, nothing matters but the size of the group.

When shooting for group, always use the exact same hold for all shots. Find the load that gets the smallest group consistently (you don't care where) and then adjust your sights to center the group on point of aim.

Take note of whether your first shot, from a clean, cold bore, is noticeably outside the rest of the group. This is especially important for hunters, who most likely will always fire the money shot from a clean bore.

You and the rifle are currently shooting well enough that by adjusting the sights you'd have four or five of those first five shots comfortably in the black. That's not bad at all. It's a little better than the "minute of pie-plate" often reported here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: 2-band Enfield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!