Starfire Mod 30MI made by Star

PDA

woad_yurt
July 21, 2008, 07:05 PM
About a Starfire Mod 30MI made by Star:
Can anyone here point me to some relevant info online? Or, does anyone have any info to offer? I googled for a while and didn't come up with much. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Starfire Mod 30MI made by Star" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AndyC
July 21, 2008, 09:05 PM
I know of the Star Model 30M (steel-frame) and the 30PK (alloy-frame) - is that the one to which you're referring? I don't know of a Starfire 30.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg80-e.htm

ftierson
July 21, 2008, 10:12 PM
What Andy says...

I have a Star Model 30M that's a great gun...

Forrest

ftierson
July 21, 2008, 10:39 PM
Well, demonstrating yet again what memory does for/to us, I pulled my Star Model 30M out of the safe and looked closely at it.

On the left side of the frame above the grip is:

MOD. 30MI (with the I struck considerably lighter than the rest)
Serial Number
STARFIRE

So much for memory...

The term "Starfire" is usually associated with the small, single column, single action automatics that Star produced, and I've never heard the Model 30M called a Starfire (even though it's obviously marked as such on the frame).

The Model 30M is a great pistol, and I've been very happy with mine (having sent it in to Metalife Industries back in the day to have it hard chromed).

If you find one for a decent price in decent shape, pick it up. I'd certainly consider picking up another for the right price.

Magazines (15rd in 9x19mmP) might be kind of hard to find, but I think that ProMag has had a couple of production runs of them.

Good luck...

Forrest

woad_yurt
July 22, 2008, 12:04 AM
How is $283 out the door?

ftierson
July 22, 2008, 01:01 AM
What kind of shape is it in?

If in really excellent condition, I'd already own it...:)

Forrest

woad_yurt
July 22, 2008, 08:31 AM
It's pretty nice. It's a used item in average shape. No glaring blemishes. I went to get a copy of my guy's FFL to have another gun shipped and saw this. I just bought it on impulse because it looked and felt like a good pistol. Never had a handgun that held 16 rounds before. It's built like a '49 Buick. This will be my new work truck gun.

ftierson
July 22, 2008, 11:33 AM
Congratulations on owning a great gun...:)

As far as I know, the Star 30M is still the official handgun of the Spanish Army.

The Star Model 30M didn't sell well in this country for a couple of reasons. First, there is a lingering aversion to Spanish handguns by many Americans who know little about recent Spanish handgun manufacture. You'll often hear someone say that the metallurgy of Spanish handguns left something to be desired. While perhaps true once and in some cases, late production Star, Astra and Llama handguns were superb.

Second, the Star 30M is a big handgun with a steel frame. Consequently, it is quite heavy. Many didn't like the weight. Personally, I like heavy...:)

Enjoy the Star 30M...

Forrest

grimjaw
July 22, 2008, 01:07 PM
Stephen Camp's review of the M28, similar to the M30.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Star%20Model%2028.htm

jm

ftierson
July 22, 2008, 03:56 PM
jm, thanks for the link...

Forrest

If you enjoyed reading about "Starfire Mod 30MI made by Star" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!