A tale of two 27s.

PDA

SaxonPig
July 21, 2008, 10:48 PM
Since I own more S&W Model 27s (and variants) than any other model of handgun, I guess it’s my favorite. I have several 3.5” examples, and a few 5” specimens (maybe my absolute favorite) and one 4” Registered Magnum which could be considered the granddaddy of the Model 27. But I searched for a long time to find a really nice 8&3/8” Model 27.

Such a long barrel feels muzzle heavy to me in the Models 29 and 57 (the .44 and .41 Magnums) because these revolvers feature a heavy barrel. The 27 has a slimmer tapered barrel so even the 8” model handles without feeling like all the weight is too far forward. But try as I might, I couldn’t find one at a price I wanted to pay. The long N frames usually bring a bit less than the more popular shorter barrels but I still got skunked in my search for a long time.

It didn’t help that I really had my heart set on a nickel 8” 27. Everyone knows I love the shiny guns and I yearned for a long 27 in nickel. I looked for so long that I finally gave up and bid on a blued version on a GB auction, buying it for $421. That’s a tad higher than I wanted to go but not a bad deal considering it was unfired in its original wooden presentation case.

I no sooner picked it up from the transfer dealer when I spotted another unfired 8” 27 up for auction. This one was nickel. Rats, my usual good timing. Well, the worse thing that could happen would be that I would wind up with two guns and what’s wrong with that? I bought it for the opening bid of $325. It was absolutely brand new in the wooden case and even had the original cardboard shipping sleeve. I know some would cringe at the thought, but I’m a shooter and not a collector and I can tell you that gun is amazingly accurate. Hell yes I shot it!

Wouldn’t you want to shoot it?

http://www.fototime.com/255E4E2B22F5C05/standard.jpg

There’s a happy ending on the blued gun I bought first. My friend knew of the deal and offered to buy the unwanted 27 for $500 if I would deliver it to his house.

I did.

If you enjoyed reading about "A tale of two 27s." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Catalina25
July 21, 2008, 10:55 PM
Man brother Pig that is beautiful, at any price. And yea you've got to shoot it. DOB? TKM

If you enjoyed reading about "A tale of two 27s." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!