Webley & Scot MK IV .38

PDA

Jack Reevez
July 22, 2008, 02:48 PM
Hi guys. I just acquired my uncle's .38 calibre old MKIV revolver. Its old but its still seems good. i was just wondering if anyone owns this handgun and can guide me as to where and how to acquire its user's manual?? i wanted to disassemle it and clean it properly. Thanks everyone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Webley & Scot MK IV .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rmac58
July 23, 2008, 07:36 AM
I'm looking to get something like that.
I have been told the NRA site has manuals.
My other computer has a link, I think to a site that has manuals too. I'll have to check.
I understand that is a .38 S&W round, I wonder how different that is from a .38 special.

dagger dog
July 23, 2008, 07:28 PM
Just on a whim try www.stevespages.com he has a lot of manuals to down load and also load data for the S&W 38 cartridge.Also try the Numrich site they have exploded drawings which may help on disassembly

cherryriver
July 23, 2008, 11:33 PM
.38 S&W is shorter, fatter, and loaded to lower pressure levels than .38 Special. Sometimes, especially on older loads, the bullet diameter may be a bit larger, maybe even .360.

Trebor
July 23, 2008, 11:39 PM
That gun will be chambered for .38 Smith & Wesson, NOT ".38 S&W Special."

The .38 S&W round uses a different bullet and a different sized case. It is still manufactured, but it is not as common today and is therefore harder to find and a bit more expensive when you do find some.

It's not quite "too expensive to shoot" once in awhile, but I wouldn't make it my primary range gun. I have the Enfield Mk 1* revolver that is the twin to your Webly. I can't remember the last time I shot it and I can't remember the last time I saw .38 S&W ammo on a gun store shelf. I had to special order the last few boxes I shot through the gun.

When you do find some .38 S&W you'll likely discover the load is pretty mediocre. The ballistics are unimpressive and my pistol at least wasn't very accurate. I swear I could almost see the rounds go down range.

Rmac58
July 24, 2008, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I found some info, not interchangeable ammo.
Cool handgun tho.
Saw a S&W break revolver in .32, rough shape. I may pursue one.
I enjoy the oddities.

Eric F
July 24, 2008, 08:15 AM
I had an enfield revolver very similar to the webly. Great fun to shoot. I shot IDPA with is even though its not a classified caliber. it is better than nothing but the tiny 38 s&w is only pushing 600 or so fps. really easy to reload.

Walkalong
July 24, 2008, 10:52 AM
.38 S&W is a fun little round. I have a little top break H&R and a S&W Victory model that I shoot it in. :)

Starline makes brass for it.

cherryriver
July 24, 2008, 11:13 AM
There's a chance, just a chance, that if you use good new brass and find a stubby 200gr round-nose lead bullet, and hit on just the right powder (maybe VV340?), you could just barely make minor (125pf) with a Mk IV.
I started to try it, and was driving 158 Berry's at 620fps pretty easily with about 3.9gr Unique. There were no signs of distress at that level.
But, you need 791fps for a 158.
200s are easier to make it with, since all you need then is 625fps. Actually, 200 was the weight of the original service round anyway. I had some old National Bullet 200s but used them up in some .38 Specials and never got around to experimenting for the Webley.
A 200 doesn't leave much room in that little case for powder, though.
Safariland Comp II speedloaders for a K-frame sort of work, if you're careful.

LHunter
July 24, 2008, 12:12 PM
I just bought 200 rounds of 38 S&W from Graf - pretty reasonable price.
I am a member of LOADDATA and their loads for the Webley are higher pressure than for the top break Iver Johnson and similar. Actually with the right reloads the Webley is a decent revolver. I size my bullets to .360 for the 38 S&W.

rickomatic
July 25, 2008, 01:50 AM
Webley Disassembly (http://gunsworld.com/assembly/webley_ass_us.htm)

Try this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Webley & Scot MK IV .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!