SR9

PDA

vikz
July 22, 2008, 10:02 PM
Hello here is my SR9 that i got today, one of my girls wants a play house so daddy has to liqudate one of his 1911s ,the SA SS i know, i hate losing it but its okay atleast i still have something to shoot and my girls will be happy.:).I used to own one and i liked it so i decided to get one ..

here she is..apparently this is the new version which means the recall is already fixed and they gave the dealers extra mags for the inconvience..

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/anewsr9001.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/anewsr9003.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/anewsr9004.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/anewsr9007.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/anewsr9008.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "SR9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Boarhunter
July 23, 2008, 03:31 PM
Vikz,

Run it out to the range asap, and then feed us your thoughts on the gun. I am particularly interested in the new trigger system.

I bought a very early production SR9 on the first day they were available for sale, and I like it a good bit. As I patiently await word when I can return it to Ruger for recall repair, my biggest concern is that the repair might mess up the trigger pull. Although gritty when I bought the gun, the trigger pull smoothed out nicely as I put rounds downrange. So, I am curious what to expect.

Thanks.

Boarhunter

schmeky
July 23, 2008, 09:01 PM
What "new" trigger system? I wouldn't buy one originally because the trigger was one of the worst production triggers I have ever encountered.

Is the "new" trigger system smoother?

Boarhunter
July 24, 2008, 10:28 AM
schmeky,

I too was seriously unimpressed with the SR9 trigger until I tried a Ruger-furnished range gun that had been fired a good bit...its trigger was significantly smoother. So I rolled the dice and bought one of the first guns available and ran the ammo through it. And just like the range gun, the trigger pull on my gun smoothed out nicely from use.

Then the recall.

If you take a close look at the excellent pictures furnished by Vikz, you will see that Ruger has apparently now gone to a Glock-type trigger of some sort.

And as I wait to send my gun back for recall repairs, I am wondering what change this might make to what has become a satisfactory trigger pull on my personal gun.

Boarhunter

SomeDude
July 24, 2008, 11:15 AM
They've also changed something with the magwell/release. I've heard that the new production mags won't fit properly in the guns affected by the recall. I agree with the trigger pull. After about 500 rounds things became smoother. All things considered I still think it's a good gun.

Jim Watson
July 24, 2008, 11:18 AM
Yup, this is the Newer and Improveder version of the New and Improved SR9 with Glockish trigger and some internal changes. Maybe they fixed it so dryfiring without magazine won't hurt it.

schmeky
July 24, 2008, 11:27 AM
Thanx for the input guys. I really want an SR-9, but Ruger has to give me reason to spend my money. The trigger must be improved, at least to a degree, if Ruger wants the SR-9 to be a big success.

I am so impressed with my Smith & Wesson M&P 45, I am considering an M&P 9 Pro. But I want to buy an SR-9.

I'll wait for while.

Spartacus451
July 24, 2008, 01:58 PM
I have to say that the packaging looks excellent. Slim, compact, and no room for things to move around. Also no foam to encourage rust.

supernac
July 24, 2008, 06:46 PM
Never had any issue with the trigger on my SR9, in my opinion most of the trigger issues stem from the mag disconnect. You should not dry fire this pistol without a mag inserted, if you do you will damage the trigger. Removing the disconnect takes about 10 min.

Commander Crusty
August 26, 2008, 10:51 AM
I just got my SR9 back from Ruger after the recall--it took about 2 weeks. The trigger is better: as soon as the trigger starts moving, the striker starts moving; as soon as the striker is released, the trigger stops moving. There is LESS grit, but still just a bit near the end. I would call this a good Street Trigger.

Some of you already know that one of the hot set-ups for concealed carry is to get a Glock (any Glock) and have your armorer install a New York One Trigger Module--that is, a Glock trigger with stiffer springs to reduce the chance of the gun going off prematurely due to the extreme stress of a life-or-death encounter. That's about what you get with the new Ruger.

The SR9 trigger pull is firm, the trigger return is positive and the trigger reset is short. It would be hard to make this gun go off by accident, difficult to short stroke the trigger pull and the trigger springs should last thousands of rounds.

The pistol is the same size as a Colt Commander, weighs a bit less (loaded) and has twice as many rounds. You could buy a better gun, but it would cost you twice as much. I like mine and feel safe carrying it.

wristtwister
August 26, 2008, 02:06 PM
Maybe they fixed it so dryfiring without magazine won't hurt it.

Not... apparently the striker mechanism self destructs with dry firing even after the retrofit. I don't know of many striker fired guns that don't recommend keeping a mag in the gun if you dry fire it.

Commander Crusty... I fell in love with my SR-9 right after Ruger released them, and it's still the best shooting gun I own. (1 of about 30). I never had a problem with it, even before it was "repaired", and it still functions perfectly.
Extremely accurate... fits your hand... and delivers 18 rounds downrange... what more could you ask of a pistol?

No, they don't make a "self cleaning" model.

WT

If you enjoyed reading about "SR9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!