Uberti Remington 1875 Question

PDA

liveaboard
July 23, 2008, 12:13 AM
I have a Uberti 1875 Outlaw 45, love the gun. My question is about amo. I am going to Alaska next month and am wondering what amo I should get for defense against bears, will the Uberti handle hotter loads? Is this a realistic gun to take for this purpose? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti Remington 1875 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Colt46
July 23, 2008, 02:03 PM
The steels are probably better than a hundred plus years ago, but the design isn't set up to handle +p loads that ruger's will digest.

There are a few ammo makers that make warmer loads that might be appropriate for a modern reproduction. These would be a 250 grain bullet at about a 1,000+ fps.
Standard loads offer the same bullet at about 100 fps less.
Don't know if that's the answer you wanted to hear.

rcmodel
July 23, 2008, 02:33 PM
Look at item number 3E, 255 grain SWC-GC standard pressure load.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#45colt

That is the best you can do for bear protection in your gun.
But I wouldn't even shoot a lot of them in a Uberti, as they are still pretty hot by normal .45 Colt standards.

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti Remington 1875 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!