Interesting 2-barrel pistol, breechloader 18th Century (?)

PDA

Mp7
July 23, 2008, 11:30 AM
Anyone ever seen anything like it?

The auction stated that the caliber is
around 9mm.

Cheers, Mp7.

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting 2-barrel pistol, breechloader 18th Century (?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
July 23, 2008, 12:58 PM
Around 9mm?

That's interesting. Otherwise, it looks like a breechloading Howdah.

Either way, it would be from the latter half of the 19th Century, I believe.

shevrock
July 23, 2008, 01:27 PM
Looks really cool. I wouldn't shoot it though. Looks like it would either blow up or fall apart.

Rachen
July 23, 2008, 07:13 PM
So, what is more powerful? A 9mm Howdah or .45 ACP Howdah?:evil::neener::D

Sorry guys, I just couldn't resist posting it.:D:D

kentucky bucky
July 23, 2008, 07:24 PM
That looks like one of the varied type of European (probably Belgian) guns that were around in the mid to late 1800's and even maybe early 1900's. They weren't very good guns and don't command a very high price even today, but they are interesting to look at.

kBob
July 24, 2008, 11:26 AM
So are the barrels rifled? Given the time period you stated I have to wonder if the gun uses .38 S&W or what the British call the .38-200. Wonder if the SPeer Plastic Training .38 cartridge migt fit it. I find they fit som .38 S&W chambered guns and the primer powerd plastic wad cutter bullets can sometimes be fired. If it does accept .38 S&W perhaps "wax loads" consisting of a cartridge case that has been pushed into a parafin block and cut off even with the case mouth and then primed with a standard pistol primer might allow a little zimmershutzen. Both the Speer plastic cartridges and wax loads are more poerful than some think. A back stop of some non richochet material ( I use the design that comes with the SPeer plastic trainers, a box about 18 inches (.4 something meter) that has about six inches inside a section of slit rubber tire tube (slits every inch or 25 mm) that allow the bullets to hit and then slide past and about six inches further in is an unslit piece of rubber tire tube hanging so it also gives a bit. I have a bit of carpeting along the back of the box as a just in case.

Both of these methods do spread lead from the primers around the area they are sued in, so it should be wll ventalated.

No powder is to be used in either Speer or wax bullet cartridges.

Say, are 4mm or 4.5mm rim-fires still widely available and uncontrolled in Germany? I had great fun with a couple in the early to mid 1970's. GOt to shoot one of the K98 style trainers that was almost completely silent with those little rimfires. I had seen a Single Action Army style revolver of full size in a large department store in the US about 1970, but there was very little of the very little ammunition available. FInding them everywhere and in quality levels of pretty decent down to RG rejects in Germany was a surprise.

-Bob Hollingsworth

Mp7
July 24, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Bob,

you must be talking bout M20 cartridges... a 4mm "play" round,
that is used for "Zimmerstutzen" shooting.

...even that caliber, its guns and the ammo are regulated
and not avlailable at wallyworld around here.

a bit off-topic though IMO

Jim Watson
July 24, 2008, 12:16 PM
Agree with bucky.

It is a small, light, CHEAP pistol, for use by people who could not afford even a cheap revolver. Caliber "around 9mm" is probably the .380 Revolver comparable to the .38 Short Colt.

yesit'sloaded
July 24, 2008, 02:19 PM
So it is like a 1800s Lorcin?

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting 2-barrel pistol, breechloader 18th Century (?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!