S&W Sights

PDA

c.r.a.
July 23, 2008, 12:54 PM
I recently purhcased a S&W 66-1. It's "shooter grade". and that's what I will use it for. I've noticed the rear sight has some play in it. The blade has a little "teeter-totter" movement. the movement is in the blade portion of the site. It's not the entire site fixture that's moving. There is no horizontal play. The windage screw on the site seems to be in fine working order. There is quite a bit of color worn off the top of the blade, maybe from being holstered and unholstered quite a bit.

I'm not sure this movement has any effect on my shooting. Shooting from a rested position, i don't notice any flyers or shift in point of impact.

any ideas as what is causing the "teeter-tottering" and and easy fix? Like i said, it's a shooter and this doesn't seem to be effecting my shooting. Don't even know if i'll fuss with it, just curious.

Thank you,
C.R.A.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DragonFire
July 23, 2008, 01:33 PM
Several of my revolvers have that movement in the rear sight, and hasn't negatively affected the accuracy. As long as the movenment is slight, I don't think you need to worry.

rcmodel
July 23, 2008, 02:26 PM
+1

Normal wear & recoil will loosen the S&W sight blade fore & aft, but not side to side. Most any brand adjustable sight will do the same thing to a greater or lesser extent eventually.

But fore & aft makes no difference whatsoever in where the gun groups.

They can be dissembled, and the sight base squeezed to tighten them. But some of the older ones where hardened, and might just break.

If you do take one apart, you need a new windage screw & nut, and a means to re-rivet the end so it holds & looks decent.

Bottom line = I wouldn't worry about it.

rcmodel

madcratebuilder
July 24, 2008, 08:34 AM
You can buy a new S&W white out line rear blade for about ten bucks, comes with screw and nut. Fairly easy to install, you use a center punch to stake the new screw/nut.

rcmodel
July 24, 2008, 01:16 PM
A new blade will have no effect on tightening the slot in the base itself.

That's what gets loose, not the blade.

rcmodel

dfariswheel
July 24, 2008, 08:52 PM
The S&W rear sight blade typically has some "fore and aft" looseness.
This is normal and not an issue.
It has no effect on accuracy.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!