Pietta?

PDA

zplug123
July 24, 2008, 01:21 AM
So I've come across an unusual piece; a Pietta SAA-clone, black-powder type frame...except the barrel's been replaced with a Post-war Colt 5.5" barrel. Any comments on the quality of this Italian copy or the unusual mating of clone/authentic parts?

I feel like picking it up solely for how unique it feels :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Pietta?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bigger is Better
July 24, 2008, 03:54 AM
Pietta makes 5 1/2" barrels: why that barrel has been raplaced with an original Colt brl, if moreover Pietta's barrels are excellent Colt SAA clone?
About the quality I can say that I've two Pietta revolvers, both in .45 LC, with 7 1/2" and 5 1/2" brl and that they're made with high quality steel, have high level finish and shoot really very very good: I've shot more of 5000 rounds with 7.5" - the older -and it still shoot like the first time; of course I've to say that I take the better care of my weapons, and I clean them after each time I shoot with, but it's also true that the gap cyl/brl is still the same it had when it was new (I don't know what the accurate measure was because I measured it with post-it and I was able to insert in four, and four they're still now).
I hope you've understood me

dogngun
July 24, 2008, 07:26 AM
I have owned several Pietta BP revolvers, and now own a Pietta 1873 Colt copy in .45 Colt. It is excellent. I have never had any problem with any of these revolvers -all were first rate, accurate and reliable.

mark

researchdoc
July 24, 2008, 11:32 AM
Didn't Guns and Ammo just do a nice writeup on some Pietta BP guns? Had a hot chick in it too......:what:
They were touting the great quality for the price, on the gun that is..:D
Found it: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/classics/GA_braceyourself_200806/index.html

zplug123
July 24, 2008, 12:16 PM
The weird thing is that the owners has this chambered for .357 Magnum and that he's only put a few .38 Wadcutters through it for function/safety. Obviously, I'm a little skeptical that a BP frame could take full-load magnums, or is that not the case?

Gaucho Gringo
July 24, 2008, 07:57 PM
The Pietta black powder frame refers to the style of the frame, not it's strength. I would tend to question more why it was rebarreled and whether it was done properly

zplug123
July 24, 2008, 09:06 PM
Hmm, that is a valid concern. So far as I know, the owner says he replaced the original 7.5" just for looks and balance. A proper vice and tools were used, as the forcing cone and cylinder gap look correct. Thanks for cleaning up the BP concern Gringo, hopefully I take home a winner ^_^

spiroxlii
July 25, 2008, 02:09 AM
The modern Italian replica 1873 SAA models are ok to use with modern "cowboy" and standard smokeless powder loads; HOWEVER, there are some extremely hot .45LC loads that have been produced since the 1873 SAA fell out of common use. I've fired low-power "cowboy" loads and standard pressure loads in my Uberti with no problem, but I would not try +P stuff.

As Gaucho said, the BP frame on Pietta and Uberti 1873 SAA clones refers to the style of the frame. The black powder or "old model" frame has a screw cylinder pin retainer while the smokeless or "new model" has a spring loaded cylinder pin retainer. When I bought my Uberti, I got a "new model," and to be really honest with you, I think I would have preferred an "old model" frame.

It may be more historically accurate to use a "new model" with the spring loaded cylinder pin retainer if you're going to shoot modern smokeless cartridges, but I think the spring loaded cylinder pin retainer just feels cheap and somehow... wrong... on a gun that is otherwise so beautiful. One day I'll buy another SAA clone, and it will be an "old model" frame, since the current "old model" clones are strong enough to handle modern smokeless cartridges unlike actual BP frame 1873 revolvers.

Bigger is Better
July 25, 2008, 04:10 AM
I've fired low-power "cowboy" loads and standard pressure loads in my Uberti with no problem, but I would not try +P stuff.

Pietta and Uberti Colt SAA replicas are chambered for standard .45 Long Colt, not for .45 LC +P; there are repro of a cowboy revolver, therefore they need only of cowboy loads. ;) If I want shot a .45 +P I get a Ruger Blackhawk or a TC or a BFR.
spiroxlii, if I can give you an advice, and if you have the opportunity get a Pietta: they shoot much better than Uberti, and are made with much better steel and wood (for the grips). Uberti is very well finished, no dubts, but recently Pietta has improved in this way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pietta?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!