Round butt or Square--how do you tell?

PDA

loneviking
July 24, 2008, 01:59 AM
I've only used Colt pistols before. I just put a S&W M65-6/3 inch pistol on layaway. I want to get grips for this gun, and most grips for S&W K frames come for either 'round' or 'square' butt. How do you tell? The bottom of the grip? Overall shape of the grip? Anybody have pictures?

If you enjoyed reading about "Round butt or Square--how do you tell?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shade00
July 24, 2008, 02:06 AM
loneviking, there is a thread at the top of this forum called 'Common S&W Identifying Features.' There is a pictorial that shows the difference. If the gun has third-party rubber grips, you might need to remove those to tell. I believe that all 3" 65s had round butts, but you will certainly want to double check that.

loneviking
July 24, 2008, 02:32 AM
Thanks, Shade. Gosh I feel dumb missing that thread up at the top. Yep, it's a round butt. Somebody put Pachmayr Presentation grips on the little gun. Good grips, I've used them on my Colt for years. On a little gun like that though I want to try the Decelerators. So, thanks and mods, feel free to delete the thread.

Shade00
July 24, 2008, 02:46 AM
I picked up a 65-5 Ladysmith the other day that had some beautiful smooth rosewood grips. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with S&W's grips and a Tyler grip adapter. Looks great and feels great in the hand.

loneviking
July 24, 2008, 02:56 AM
Rosewood grips are very pretty, but I would think they would be painful to shoot! I'd try a pair, but at around $80 a set they are too expensive to take a chance on. All I've used are the Pachmayr Presentations that came with my revolver. Maybe someday I'll find a kind, local soul with some custom wood grips like the Badgers that I can try! ;)

Shade00
July 24, 2008, 03:13 AM
Well, not real rosewood. ;) It's what S&W calls rosewood.

ArchAngelCD
July 24, 2008, 04:21 AM
A picture is worth... well, you know! I'm sure this will help...
If S&W decides to block the use of the image you can see it on their site, here (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13229&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=46303&training=) is the link.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/products/butt_sq_rnd_large.jpg

DrLaw
July 25, 2008, 08:01 AM
I can tell if it is a round butt or square by the way that it fits in a chair. :neener:

Actually, since you can get all sorts of grips for them, about the only thing that matters is whether you want it for concealment or not. The round butts with the small grips are better for concealing the gun.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Round butt or Square--how do you tell?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!