Anyone keep a Range Log?

PDA

Sackett
July 24, 2008, 04:05 AM
Noticed that many of the folks here (and elsewhere) know how many rounds they've fired through a particular gun. Are they pulling it out of the air, or is it common to take notes after a range session?

If you keep a log, what goes into it? What's your motivation for doing so?

If this is too geeky please forgive me, I am an Engineer (and a Private Pilot who keeps a logbook).

S.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone keep a Range Log?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sgt.Dusk
July 24, 2008, 04:10 AM
Im a geeky engineer too and I keep a logbook of shooting.
I usually log date and spent rounds/gun.....
What's your motivation for doing so?
I honestly dont know...maybe its just fun to see some statistics

I also keep a separate log of my new reloads and how they perfom

Regolith
July 24, 2008, 07:03 AM
No. I haven't gotten to the point where I think it'd do me any good.

HiWayMan
July 24, 2008, 07:29 AM
Not so geeky engineer here, but engineer all the same. Below is an outline of the only logbook I have and probably the only one I'll maintain.

Started keeping a log book for my newest .45 the day I got her. Everything pertaining to that serial numbered gun is in there. Original cost and accessories purchased as well as any major work outside of routine maintanence done. It also contains a log of magazines and number and types of malfs experienced with each mag. Lists all ammo shot by brand and lot numbers, sight settings, match scores and a host of other general notes. General notes may include hand position on grip, grip pressure, shotting stance, etc. I'll even log plinking sessions, although ttthose notes usually just say plinking and have a round count and ammo lot associated with them.

I particularly like keeping it for match work. Lets me review what has worked and what hasn't, as well as, showing my general progress towards my match goals.

critter
July 24, 2008, 07:55 AM
Never used to. Started keeping logs on the last 4 firearms I bought. Turned out to be quite helpful in tracking down feeding problems on one of my guns with a particular reload.

I think I'll keep it up.

Ltlabner
July 24, 2008, 08:15 AM
I kept a log on my Bushy M4 when I first got it but after a while of having zero problems I stopped doing it. My original thought was to track each mag and note the ammo types and how they shot to determine if the weapon liked one brand over another. I also kept general notes on how many rounds went downrange.

However, I still number and ID all of my mags to aide in tracking down problems.

I'm likely going to start reloading again soon and will definatley keep a log on that activity.

Shung
July 24, 2008, 08:21 AM
knowing how much I spend in ammo would be very depressing.. so I dont..

;)

Thumper_6119
July 24, 2008, 08:36 AM
Go here: Gun Logbook (http://www.slfsoft.com/gunlogbook/)

It is a really nice software logbook written by a shooter. You can log just about everything about all your guns, including pics of targets from range sessions. You can track maintenance, cleaning, optics, etc. You can also log all of your ammo, and it has the ability to log and track all the relevant data for reloads. Nice software, free download (although Steve does have a link for donations if you like the software). VERY nice program. Give it a try.

Dave P
July 24, 2008, 09:15 AM
This engineer keeps a log, mainly for accuracy / load development purposes on my rifles. 3 ring binders for each rifle. This provides rough round count info. I found keeping a high-accuracy round count much too tedious - with minimal benefit.

GingerGuy
July 24, 2008, 09:39 AM
Here's a shot of my log. The comment column, on the right side of the screen is there for comments about that day shooting. This info helps in many ways.

You might notice I was clipping along with the SR9 until the recall was announced. I picked up an EMP that same day and like that gun a lot.

I also have a tab for my firearm inventory and I keep track of ammo purchases; when, cost, rounds purchased etc.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm157/GingerGuy_photos/Ammo/Ammo025-1.jpg

Mannlicher
July 24, 2008, 09:41 AM
I have kept a log for years. I don't even know why I started it :)

I know exactly how many rounds have been fired by each gun, the load and performance.

Walkalong
July 24, 2008, 10:06 AM
Way too much trouble. I do track rounds through my Benchrest barrels. Nothing other than that.

trashpickinman
July 24, 2008, 10:31 AM
I keep a simple excel spreadsheet, date, # of rounds fired/type, # and type of failures. I do keep the targets with similar information on them.

AZAndy
July 24, 2008, 11:22 AM
Thumper_6119: Wow! That's a very useful piece of software! Thanks so much for alerting me to it; I can already see that I'm going to be spending a lot of time with it. Is the author someone you know?

I've been thinking about writing a similar program myself in VBA, but Gunlog already has more stuff in it than I was even considering.

Deanimator
July 24, 2008, 11:27 AM
When I shoot rifle at 600 yards, I use large log sheets with target graphics that a friend printed up. They fit in a three ring binder and are much easier to use than the commercial logbooks they sell in stores.

TexasRifleman
July 24, 2008, 11:51 AM
Just on rifles and handguns I reload for.

I try to track brass usage etc.

Thumper_6119
July 24, 2008, 01:31 PM
from AZAndy
Thumper_6119: Wow! That's a very useful piece of software! Thanks so much for alerting me to it; I can already see that I'm going to be spending a lot of time with it. Is the author someone you know?

I used to chat with the designer on an AR board (not arfcom), and he brought up the idea one day, and we talked about what would be useful features (mostly his ideas). He wrote the thing originally more for his personal use, then tweaked it to be user-friendly for other folks. I have been using it for the last couple of years. Once you get down how to add new items to the database, it's really a breeze and is really a well organized way to keep track of all your firearm data.

bennadatto
July 24, 2008, 01:35 PM
Perhaps outing my geekiness, but oh well!

I keep an excel spreadsheet of my numbers of rounds fired along with accuracy, based on both target hits (number of shots which hit "10" on a sillhouette target) and a ratio of points scored / points possible. I find it pretty rewarding to see my improvement over time.

I'm a pretty big excel dork (obviously) so scoring the range targets is half the fun!

PaulBk
July 24, 2008, 02:15 PM
I keep a log of all my 'training exercises'. This includes draw time, split time(s), reload/jam clearance times, and COM/cranial hits. I also 'charge' myself for all misses and the money goes to my wife's 'toy' budget (Flowers, jewlery, etc.)

-Paul

Bubbles
July 24, 2008, 02:20 PM
I only have logs for the long-distance rifles. If I kept a log of how much I fed to the handguns, shotguns, subguns, etc. I'd probably cry once I added up the ammo cost.

XD_fan
July 24, 2008, 02:22 PM
I keep a spreadsheet and a log both.

Spreadsheet is date, temp, where, round, gun, number fired.

Log book is load data on rounds, scope setting by gun, round, and distance.

I also label and keep all my targets. Its very handy when it comes to working up loads or when I get a new keg of powder. I can see right away that something has changed.

conw
July 24, 2008, 02:28 PM
I keep a notebook and just write when and what and how much I shot, as well as how I felt about the session.

The purpose is more training than accuracy or tracking failures or #rds/gun.

I even write down when I dry fire practice or "point" practice...it's just a good way to make sure I get enough of the different practice styles.

Aguila Blanca
July 24, 2008, 03:47 PM
I keep a log. Dates, ammo brand and type, magazines used, number of rounds fired, and malfunctions.

The purpose is (a) to weed out suspect magazines, and (b) to know when it's time to replace recoil springs.

Old Grump
July 24, 2008, 03:57 PM
One is a temporary log I use for a new gun and I am searching for the best factory loads for it.

The other is a log of every single round I have ever loaded and shooting results with it when I am using them on bullseye targets. Other than that no.

I used to keep a running track of my 22 usage in my savage single shot bolt rifle but give it up after 600,000 rounds with no discernible drop off in accuracy in the rifle, not bad for a new in the box for 28 bucks change and tax back in 1964.
Hit the 600 mark early 80's, guess what my favorite shooting iron is and the one I use for teaching.

cracked butt
July 24, 2008, 03:59 PM
For load development yes- I keep a log of different loads I've tried in different guns. Once I find a load that I like, I no longer make notes unless something changes.

Shooting log? I keep one for my highpower rifle that I just started recently. I keep track of shot placements, zeroes, conditions, loads, and number of rounds fired through the barrel. So far, i've used it for 2 matches and 3 practice sessions and it turned out to be a huge help on the second match that I recorded. I don't bother logging anything in any of my other guns.

lonegunman
July 24, 2008, 04:08 PM
I keep track of rounds on some match guns. It helps to track parts breakage and failures.

arflattop
July 24, 2008, 04:33 PM
I keep detailed records to verify reloading processes. Different firearms like different loads, etc. It's challenging to see if you can reduce a group by changing the load.

taliv
July 24, 2008, 04:40 PM
i keep a log on almost every gun i own.

Dick1911
July 24, 2008, 06:38 PM
I keep a log on my guns - rounds fired and when. I log when I've cleaned them or repaired them and note problems I have when at the range.

Just a geeky engineer!

BTW - That gun logbook in Thumper 6119's post looks interesting :)

Avenger
July 24, 2008, 07:24 PM
No actual "shot-by-shot" book on my pistols, but I do keep a notebook with total rounds tallied and any malfunctions noted.
For my .22, it'd be a darn thick book, so no....I could grab a piece of paper and write, "Tack-hammer" on it, I guess!
For my rifles, I copied a bunch of little targets onto paper, 6 per page. I mark each round onto the paper after firing my 5-round group. (Grandpa used to use a spare target and a magic marker, I just carried the idea a little farther). At 30 shots per page, it's pretty easy to see what I've done, and doesn't use up a lot of space. I do trim the book every year, but I keep group sizes written down.

AZAndy
July 24, 2008, 08:34 PM
Thumper_6119:
I used to chat with the designer on an AR board (not arfcom), and he brought up the idea one day, and we talked about what would be useful features (mostly his ideas).

Well, he's definitely getting a donation from this house. Already burned it to CDs to share with fellow gunnies at work. Thanks again for alerting us to it.

Karl Hungus
July 24, 2008, 08:54 PM
I keep a log book for long range only.

Load, location, date, time, range, wind, angle, humidity, temp, scope dope, shooting position, corrections, groups, bird's eye view (if applicable).

Sackett
July 25, 2008, 03:25 AM
That's good information. It's sure nice to know that I won't be alone when I start my log. Now I need to go figure out just what info. will be useful to me...

And thanks Thumper- Cool database!

S.

waverace
July 25, 2008, 03:32 AM
Funny was just thinking of keeping records of my reloads I keep forgetting what works and why :)

glockman19
July 25, 2008, 12:01 PM
I keep a 3 worksheet page excel program. First page details my collection, picture, purchse price, make, model, serial number. Page 2 is maintainence tracking and the third page is rounds fired.

New gun owner
April 16, 2009, 02:13 AM
Great online shooter's log: www.RangeLog.com

ZO6Vettever
April 16, 2009, 11:05 AM
I take note of how many rounds and if a malf pops up, ammo brand and the mag involved, I have my mags numbered.

Howard Roark
April 16, 2009, 01:42 PM
Competitive shooters keep barrel round counts for predictive purposes. We know about how many rounds a given barrel is good for optimum accuracy. When a barrel gets to that number we'll pull it and use it at shorter ranges or for preactice.

We do not want to show up to a major match with a barrel at it's life expectancy and have it start throwing 9's in the middle of a multi-day match.

Hungry Seagull
April 16, 2009, 01:53 PM
I keep track of it in a notebook the way I count miles or hours between equiptment maintaince.

Deanimator
April 16, 2009, 02:03 PM
Just for my two sniper rifles. I record load used and sight settings.

RangeLogger
April 27, 2009, 03:40 PM
If you are an active shooter, try logging your shots online: www.RangeLog.com

The site assists with quick scoring and going through the different weapons you use at the range. Also, there are drills (exercises) you can use to improve your skills and track your target score – some for accuracy and others for timing.

You can only view the exercises and shot log after you create an account, but we offer a free Range search to all users – the firearms catalog will be available to the public soon.

A member account is free, so I hope you decide to give the site a try!

Calibre44
April 27, 2009, 04:01 PM
Yep I keep a record of how many rounds I’ve fired per session for all my guns. I use a simple notebook that I keep in my range bag – nothing sophisticated just the date, rounds fired and a sub total.

thorazine
April 27, 2009, 05:41 PM
Wow! That's a very useful piece of software! Thanks so much for alerting me to it; I can already see that I'm going to be spending a lot of time with it. Is the author someone you know?

The part about it sending random information to a third party (government) kind of dissuaded me from using it.

Just kidding. =)

Well -- I wouldn't be surprised.

bombmaster
April 27, 2009, 05:58 PM
been doing it for reloads but havent done it for Factory loads.

possum
April 27, 2009, 06:03 PM
i keep a log of all the rounds that i fire out of each of my guns, and the date, and the type of cleanning that the guns recieved after the trip to the range. when i change mag/recoil/ striker springs i write that down in there too. as well i list the types of ammo that i fire through the gun anytime i try something new. so i have a running log of what ammo runs in my guns.

it is like a maintance log, as well if something breaks i want to know what it is and what round count i was at when it broke, this also helps me rember when i need to change parts that are vital to the gun running like it should.

i also have a training log book for training courses that i attend. as well before each trip to the range, i outline exactly what i want to work on and the drills that i want to do while i am there, so i don't get side tracked.

KarenTOC
April 27, 2009, 08:46 PM
I started visiting this forum about the same time I started shooting. I noticed that everyone seemed to know how many rounds were fired, what brand of ammo they used, and how many and what kind of ammo problems they experienced. I didn't know why they kept track, but I figured that was what shooters did, so I started doing it. I figured I'd find out why eventually :)

I just use a simple excel worksheet to record date, location, gun, caliber, rounds fired, distance, and ammo brand. There's a "comments" field for any problems or observations I want to record. My main sheet is in chronological order, but I have a second sheet that takes the info and sorts it by gun and calculates shots fired by that gun. I recently added a photo/serial number record of my guns, and plan to add maintenance records when needed.

I generally use 8.5x11" targets that I downloaded to my pc. As I shoot, I record the above info directly onto the targets. When I get home, I transfer the info from the targets into the spreadsheet, file the targets (and should there be any particularly impressive looking ones, I take a digital picture and put it on my pc. I don't have grandkids so I show off my targets lol).

All of this sounds painful and annoying, but I actually enjoy it. It prolongs the range experience. Come home, peruse the targets, record them, file them, take out the guns, fondle clean them, put them away... nice relaxing way to pass an evening.

Who knows. Maybe one day the info will prove useful lol.

NOVAShooter2010
December 7, 2010, 03:48 PM
@KarenTOC. I definitely agree with the benefits (and therapeutic effects) of taking time to record your shot data. However, it sounds like you need to be tracking all of this using something better than a spreadsheet.

It was mentioned in an earlier post, but I've been using RangeLog.com to track my data. I used to keep a spreadsheet, but I switched over when I found RangeLog. I was a free member for a year or so, but I recently upgraded to the premium membership when I decided to start shooting competitively; premium membership offers advanced shotlogs (like IDPA) and a bunch of additional reports that support these advanced log types.

However, the free membership offers a ton of features that would be useful for you, and would be more effective than using your spreadsheet. Their shotlogs allow you to track all of the items you mentioned (firearm, location, date/time, caliber, shots fired, distance, ammo type/brand) plus alot more (weather, lighting, target types, target and shooter movement, shooting stance/position, and others that I can't remember right now).

Like your spreadsheet, each shotlog allows for comments to be added, but the online logs also offers the ability to track additional details such as malfunctions, hangfires, and misfires. They also offer cleaning, repair, and maintenance log types. When you put it all together, it gives you a pretty comprehensive picture of each of your firearms. The site can generate a Firearms Detail Report (PDF) for each weapon; this is basically like a "CarFax" report for your firearm. I've sold a couple of my firearms since joining RangeLog, and I've included a copy of this report each time.

The site also offers a drill/exercise library with more drills than I have seen anywhere else. If you're looking for ways to improve your skills or stay sharp, then this is definitely worth a look. In fact, some of these drills are actually the reason that I became interested in shooting competitively.

Lastly, they have reports that give me a much better picture of my progress than I ever got from my old spreadsheet. I like being able to run reports to see if my times are better with firearm X vs. Firearm Y, or seeing how my accuracy is affected by distance (or movement, grip, etc.).

All in all, I'm glad I made the switch.

NOVAShooter2010
December 7, 2010, 04:14 PM
Sorry for the follow up post, but I just remembered one more thing about RangeLog. I just saw somewhere that they have mobile phone apps coming out for Android and iPhone early next year. Once those are available, I won't even have to wait until I get home; I can enter everything at the range, and even attach pictures of my targets that I took on my Droid

Plus, looks like it will have the option to work "disconnected" and then sync everything back to the website later! I shoot from several ranges where cell coverage is nonexistent, so this "offline" option is something I'm really looking forward to.

JohnBiltz
December 7, 2010, 07:28 PM
I keep a spread sheet since my computer is better at math than I am. I keep track of rounds fired on each gun and any modification I do the gun in comments and that is it. I do it mainly to keep track when springs and things might be going bad and its time to replace them. I don't think I really need to do more than that.

possum
December 7, 2010, 08:45 PM
I have also started to use www.rangelog.com (for about 4 months) it is a good program, that is slowly getting better.

Bonesinium
December 7, 2010, 09:08 PM
I jot down what I shoot in a little notebook when at the range. That shows the date and what was shot. I then have a spreadsheet that keeps track of the totals, and remaining rounds I have left. It is more detailed in that sense, but does not include the dates shot.

gym
December 7, 2010, 09:09 PM
Unless you shoot competition or distance, I see no reason. Rifle over 200 yards, more like 600 to 1000 i could see needing that kind of info. But for pistol shooting "non competitive", at short ranges 7-30 yards, I see no need other than a hobbiest or reloader.

TH3180
December 7, 2010, 09:17 PM
I keep a log book for each gun. I guess my main reason for doing this is when my Grandpa gave me my first gun not to long ago, he handed me his log book with it. It has every round fired through my 1972 Colt New Frontier. As a side note when I have bought a few guns I started a log book for each one. Which worked out great when my BM Camper was having leading issues. It was really nice to tell Browning the gun has this many rounds and these are the dates they were shot, also this many were indoors and this many were outdoors. I got a new barrel with no hassle at all. I think it will be cool some day to look at a Grandkid and say this is your BM Camper here is the log book I have kept on since the day I bought it, way back in 2010.

smallbore
December 7, 2010, 09:40 PM
Sackett. .I kept logs for every firearm I ever owned. Whenever I sold one, the log went with it. The guns I have are my working battery and I only log the round count. Logging did help with selecting the ammo that worked best/printed closest to point of aim.
Thumper. .Thanks for sharing the log link.

fastattack
December 7, 2010, 10:03 PM
Why should I? I've only shot 200 rounds through my each of my guns. At least that is what all the online sellers seem to say! Ever notice that? Seriously, I don't (yet) just cause I'm lazy, and an engineer. Shooting should be fun and keeping logs isn't fun for me.

NOVAShooter2010
February 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
I posted on this thread back in December about RangeLog.com, an online shotlog I use that allows me to track my shots, firearms, drills, etc. I mention in my previous post that they had just announced mobile apps for both Android and iPhone.

I just saw in their latest newsletter that they are now taking applications for beta testing the Android app! I saw some pictures on Facebook, and I can't wait to start using this at the range! It sounds like the iPhone app is almost ready as well, but I didn't see anything about a beta program.

For anyone interested in tracking your shots online or on your mobile device, you should definitely check them out at www.rangelog.com (http://www.rangelog.com).

AWorthyOpponent
February 17, 2011, 07:42 PM
I have a log that I routinely use...I stripped it and uploaded it for others to use if they want...

Firearms Log - Excel 2007 Spreadsheet (http://www.dan-shannon.com/storage/Firearms.zip)

I don't keep track of days I took shots or anything. I usually just mark it down on my phone how many I've shot. and just add it to the number I had before...

Kingofthehill
February 17, 2011, 07:55 PM
I always have my pen on me that is also a Kubaton :) and when i shoot, i tare the flap of the box off to keep track of rounds fired and if i have a problem or anything worth noting, i just write it on the back.

When i get home i transfer it to an excel spreadsheet.

I track not only how many rounds, but what brand ammo and weight.

JOe

redbullitt
February 17, 2011, 08:08 PM
I like to keep a log with my precision rifles, along with data on the rounds fired and conditions etc. Really helps get a feel for weather conditions etc affecting how its shooting.

Good for value if I try to resell also. When I buy a used rifle, seeing a good documented log definitely adds value.

Also it lets you know your round count and when you should probably be ordering a barrel or other things like that.

mcdonl
February 17, 2011, 09:14 PM
I keep the targets with load information in it for comparison to the next load... until I find the "sweet" load.

I also cross out the number strip on my ammo boxes every time I reload brass.

xcgates
February 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
Ignoring the age of the thread, does anyone have a line on the logging software thumper posted early on the first page?

The website is no longer registered. I am thinking about setting up a spreadsheet similar to my logs for vehicles, but something software related, NOT dependent on an active internet connection would be cool.

Logan5
February 17, 2011, 11:29 PM
I noticed the dead link myself, which depressed me because I'm keeping my shooter's diary in a moleskine notebook and adding up my yearly round counts on graph paper like a simple primate.

xcgates
February 17, 2011, 11:35 PM
Exactly what I was thinking Logan, I kept a logbook during highschool and college for running/skiing, and leafing through adding up the mileage got old real quick.

I mean, computer is no longer a job description for cryin' out loud!:what:

Of course I still love those Moleskins, and Rite-in-the-Rain notebooks, something very nice about a quality notebook, and your own handwriting. Especially when you are trying to stay motivated over the long haul.

A-FIXER
February 18, 2011, 12:17 AM
like most here I reload and I won't shoot if I can not track the mfg always something new to shoot.

darkhelmet
February 18, 2011, 12:21 AM
absolutely i keep a range log. it's just part of the enjoyment tracking my progress. just like i save my targets.

i track number of rounds thru each gun, rounds between cleanings, and fte/ftf/jam by ammo manufacturer.

i rent guns and i track number of rounds by caliber. still looking for a place that rents .380. haven't stepped up to try .357 yet.

i also track all expenses.

started shooting just about two years ago.

it's two guns, 15,000 rounds, and $5,800 later.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone keep a Range Log?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!