.45 Colt revolver recommendations ... (maybe even a classic)?

PDA

July 24, 2008, 04:04 AM
I recently purchased a pair of USFA SAA revolvers in .45 Colt but realize that they're not suitable for shooting loads intended for Blackhawks, Redhawks and T/Cs. I also purchased a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited rifle in .45 Colt and it's my understanding that I can shoot loads with 30,000 psi ratings with that so now I'd like to pick up a double action revolver such as the S&W 625 Mountain Gun. That way I can load for CAS and shoot light loads in the SAA revolvers and the Marlin, then I can load +P type ammunition to shoot in a double action revolver and the Marlin. Am I correct in assuming that all S&W revolvers come with locks now?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I should add, is there a "classic" revolver in .45 Colt that I should consider as well. I'm not adverse to buying a good, used revolver.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 Colt revolver recommendations ... (maybe even a classic)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
July 24, 2008, 05:24 AM
So far I've only been able to find these two ...

S&W 629CL (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=67957&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y)

Ruger Redhawk KRH-45-4 (http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5027&return=Y#)

Of the two, I'd go with the Ruger since it's available in stainless with a 5 1/2" barrel.

huntershooter
July 24, 2008, 05:47 AM
If you like the "P" mod. Colt grip frame consider FA's mod. 97 in .45 Colt.
It will handle "Ruger only" +P loads, albeit a handful.
Mine has the 4.75" barrel. It's a delight for carrying/hog hunting all day.

Stainz
July 24, 2008, 06:04 AM

While a '629CL' would normally imply a 629 Classic DX, a .44 Magnum, your link does lead to a recent S&W25 - a .45 Colt. Please keep in mind that the 25/625 series are built on the .45 ACP frame, etc, and thus must be rated at 21-22 kPSI, rather than the standard .45 Colt 14 kPSI. Still, not 30 kPSI, so be careful what you feed it if you don't want, at the very least, to stretch the frame. Probably the thin metal between the cylinder stop notches and the chamber ID walls is more limiting there, too.

I owned a 5.5" SS .45 Redhawk for years. It never matched one of my 625MGs in accuracy at 25 yd. It was not dependable, gave odd ftf's with Fed primers and stock springs. The loose and floppy ejector rod/star will occasionally skip over a small .45 Colt rim, not a problem in the S&Ws, and produce a fun 'jam' to clear before it leaves the 'paperweight' status. Ruger's best .45, from the myriad I've owned, is the .454 SRH, certainly capable of any .45 Colt level, but even my 7.5" seemed huge. Still, it has a far better trigger than the RH - still no 625MG, of course.

Stainz

PS Do what you want re the S&W Infernal Lock, but, to me, it is a non-issue - even my EDC 642-2 has one, as do most of my S&Ws - never a problem.

July 24, 2008, 08:05 PM
huntershooter, thanks ... I took a look at the Freedom Arms website and learned something new today. I hadn't realized that .45 Colt ammunition can be fired in a .454 Casull so that gives me a few more options. I was really surprised that S&W and Ruger only offer ONE .45 Colt revolver each. S&W doesn't offer any .454 Casull revolvers!! Ruger offers three revolvers in .454 Casull/.45 Colt but the target versions are hideous and I can only imagine the recoil from the KSRH-2454 (Super Redhawk Alaskan)!! :eek: I think Freedom Arms may be the way to go but they're kind of expensive. Is that it for choices ... S&W, Ruger and FA? I'll have to do some digging ... there must be other American made revolvers available.

Stainz, where do you find pressure rating specifications for revolvers? I couldn't find any information on the S&W web page. How are we supposed to know what a revolver can or can't do if the manufacturers aren't providing the information? Thanks for the heads up re the 629CL.

45crittergitter
July 30, 2008, 09:58 PM
If you like the Ruger, get it - stronger than the Smith. However, if you're lucky enough to find an Anaconda in .45 Colt, I don't think you'll be sorry.

Gator
July 30, 2008, 10:55 PM
Please keep in mind that the 25/625 series are built on the .45 ACP frame, etc, and thus must be rated at 21-22 kPSI, rather than the standard .45 Colt 14 kPSI. Still, not 30 kPSI, so be careful what you feed it if you don't want, at the very least, to stretch the frame. Probably the thin metal between the cylinder stop notches and the chamber ID walls is more limiting there, too.

Ditto. The Mountain Gun is not up to Ruger or TC level loads. Get a Ruger Redhawk for that. You could also get a S&W .460 :). You can shoot .45 Colt and .454 in a .460, just be sure to clean the chambers well afterwards.

nalioth
July 30, 2008, 11:08 PM
Didn't we just do this (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=370911)?

Stainz
July 31, 2008, 06:11 AM
That was basically on the .45 ACP 25/625 - these questions re the .45 Colt variants. Some of the best writers of today, like Quinn, Linebaugh, and Taffin, have written on the S&W .45 Colts. I prefer mine - a 625-6 (bottom, below) shooter and my first-ever S&W, a gift from my wife, a 625-7 (top, below). Both are 'Mountain Guns' - and highly 'packable'. Also shown are a 200gr LRNFP .45 Schofield, 255gr LSWC, and 250gr Gold Dot JHP.

I traded a 5.5" SS Bisley BH .45 for the second 625MG - a great trade. It's arrival spelled doom for my 5.5" SS .45 Redhawk - it soon left, as did my Vaquero. My MGs are my only .45 Colts now. The S&W .45 Colt MG was last made new in '06 - my local 'pusher' still has one new in stock.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_0211.jpg

Stainz

mtngunr
July 31, 2008, 09:05 AM
Putting Quinn with the other two is a bit over the top since he gets most of what he writes from them and others....the USFA's are also up to the 22,000psi loads, but why anyone needs more than a 250-270grSWC at 1000fps is beyond me, unless grizzly, kodiak, or hunting large dangerous game outside the continental US is planned....a 250-270gr bullet at 1000fps sails right through most any critter...even factory loads are fine for black bear.

Frizzman
July 31, 2008, 09:50 AM
I recently bought one of the latest S&W Mountain Guns in .45 Colt. I have put about 500 rounds through it. I have had no problems with this one and it is very accurate. I only use moderate to light loads(I am a hand loader). It has the dreaded IL but I have just ignored it and it has been no problem. This one was the only one I saw in any shop in my area. I sat there for several months. I was surprised at that but guess that large framed S&W revolvers in .45 Colt are not widely appealing to most typical handgun buyers. I like mine and it is one my favorite revolvers. They made some back in the early 90's I believe but I rarely see any available used. It is a good bit lighter than the Redhawk and is more comfortable to carry for me. It won't take the really heavy loads but I have a Blackhawk in .45 Colt for that. I don't have much use for the really heavy loads in that caliber. A 250 gr. LSWC at 850 fps does anything I need it to here. I use Silvertip or Speer HP factory loads for SD. The .45 Colt is a wonderful cartridge for a reloader. It was originally a black powder cartridge load and it still a very good performer with black powder. There aren't too many handgun rounds that one can say that about that one can get in a DA revolver! Good luck with your quest...

TallPine
July 31, 2008, 10:55 AM
You just better be awfully darn careful not to mix up your various .45 Colt loads: Cowboy, sorta-hot, and really-hot :uhoh:

Matt Almeda
July 31, 2008, 11:15 AM
Hi,
I think my choice would be for a Freedom Arms or a BFR in .454 Casull. I own a .475 BFR and have been pretty happy with it.

Have a great day!

Archer1945
July 31, 2008, 12:35 PM
I think you will find both 454 Casul and 45 Colt can also be fired in a gun chambered for the 460 S&W. Which of course gives you a gun that can really go from very mild to extremely wild!:eek:

July 31, 2008, 02:46 PM
I think you will find both 454 Casul and 45 Colt can also be fired in a gun chambered for the 460 S&W.

I took a look at the S&W 460 but I don't care for the look of the compensator at the end of the barrel. Personally, I like the classic look of the S&W Mountain gun. I use 231 for handgun calibers (I'm using Trail Boss for the Marlin and USFA revolvers) so according to the loading data from Hodgdon shown below, I could shoot Hornady 200 gr or 250 gr jacketed bullets at respectable velocities.

http://firearms.hawthorn-engineering.com/reloading/45colt4.jpg

I really want a DA revolver and not another SA one so that basically rules out BFR and FA. Also, I don't want a barrel longer than 5".

MCgunner
July 31, 2008, 02:54 PM
then I can load +P type ammunition to shoot in a double action revolver and the Marlin.

If you wanna shoot the high pressure stuff, you'd better not even think Smith and Wesson. The only DA I can think of off hand other than X frames (and your Marlin is lighter than an X frame:rolleyes) is the Redhawk. If you wanna go to 30,000 CUP in a DA gun, don't think anything else, but Redhawk.

There is one other option, the .454 Raging Bull. It's a big gun, but I don't think (not real sure) as heavy as a friggin' X frame. The Redhawk is a pocket pistol compared to an X frame. The Raging Bull is ported, though. I don't like ports, either. If I wanted a DA .45, I'd go with a Redhawk.

Carried my Blackhawk today while on my place tending to things for the coming season. I was loaded with 300 grain XTPs pushed by 20 grains of 2400. Don't need no stinkin' big, heavy DA revolver. :D My 40 ounce Blackhawk will be here with an N frame has turned to dust. And, accurate just ain't the right descriptive word. Someday, I'll have me an FA, but until then, the Blackhawk is all I need in this caliber, though I do have a TC Contender barrel for it.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=234&category=Revolver

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/454SS5M.jpg

Hawk
July 31, 2008, 03:13 PM
Anacondas in .45 are rare but they do turn up.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=105856789

Numrich has 4" barrels for the beast.

Also, this particular S&W .460 seems not to have any compensator.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=49904&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

TallPine
July 31, 2008, 05:52 PM
At the gunstore they showed me a hot hunting load .45 Colt case that had split out around the head, fired in a Marlin rifle. :uhoh:

It doesn't seem to hurt the rifle any, but you sure can't reload the brass :(

BlindJustice
July 31, 2008, 06:39 PM
+1 for MCgunner

It's not the frame of a 25/625 that limits it's presssure capacity
it's the thin cylinder walls between the cylinders as
well as the distance toward the outside of the cylinder.
The Frames of N-frames don't vary by much... but you could
bulge a cylinder with a .45 Colt Blackhawk/TC rated load.

Find me a reference of an expert who would be alarmed
shooting .45 ACP +P in a 25/625

I've just ordered some
Double Tap .45 ACP 200 gr. SPeer Gold Dot
rated by DT @ 1,125 GPS and it states it is just
under +P pressure ( which is 23,000 ).

Double Tap also sells .45 Auto RIm 255 gr. SWC @ 900 FPS
DT claims at 16,000 psi I've seen similiar loads from
Reeds Ammo & Research - R.A.R. also limits heavy .45 Colt
loads to Blackhawk & T?"C only.

Nice to know about the Marlin 1894 - I also have one in
.45 Colt but I'm getting it converted this winter to .45 Auto RIm
since I have a 625 and a bunch of .45 A%R ammo.

Randall

BlindJustice
July 31, 2008, 06:41 PM
Just a nit.... the 25 'Classic' in .45 Colt is a friggin joke to be
called that since the 25 wasn't chambered for the round
until the mid-80s - a Classic 25 should be .45 ACP/AR.

R-

BlindJustice
July 31, 2008, 06:43 PM
O.P. did you state why you don't want a Ruger
Blackhawk?

R-

scrat
July 31, 2008, 07:03 PM
i have a Walker 1847. I put a R&D cylinder in it to shoot 45 Colt. Staying with Original stuff. I loaded up some 45colt Winchester brass, Winchester primers, Goex 35grains Black powder, Lead cast 255 grain round nose bullets. I also had bought a box of remington Express 45 colt. I started out shooting the 45 Colt black powder rounds. They were a blast to shoot. Very accurate, lot a smoke a real head turner. Large blast Not bad on recoil. Comparable to loading cap and ball lighter than loading max cap and ball for sure. (original cap and ball loads for a walker were 55grains of goex behind a .452 round ball. So then i switched over to the remington express. Thinking this may be a lot stronger. To my amazment the recoil was a lot less. Felt like i was shooting something way smaller than a 45. Accuracy was par. For sure if you serious into 45 colts the only way to go for revolvers is Black Powder. This is the way the cartridge was designed for in the first place. Its much better than shooting smokeless. Anyone who tries it would also agree. After i shot up the box of remington now they only get load with Goex.

HOME DEPOT GEORGE
July 31, 2008, 07:07 PM
The original vaquero will handle all the ruger only loads and while not as refined can be had for less than half the price of a freedom arms, in fact my LGS had a bisley vaquero that I missed out on for 389.00.

scrat
July 31, 2008, 07:09 PM
16 inches of power 4 1/2lbs originally designed to shoot 60grains of black powder behind a .452 round ball. Today i load her up with 45 Colt.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/IMG_1899-1.jpg

.41Dave
July 31, 2008, 09:36 PM
Just a nit.... the 25 'Classic' in .45 Colt is a friggin joke to be
called that since the 25 wasn't chambered for the round
until the mid-80s - a Classic 25 should be .45 ACP/AR.

Actually, the S&W Model 25 was first chambered in .45 Colt in 1977.

July 31, 2008, 10:04 PM
O.P. did you state why you don't want a Ruger
Blackhawk?

BlindJustice, because the only DA Ruger in .45 Colt is the Redhawk. I've looked at the S&W Mountain Gun 629 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=27843&tabselected=buynow&parent_category_rn=&isFirearm=Y) and the Ruger Redhawk KRH-45-4 (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?type=Revolver&subtype=Double+Action&bct=Yes&SearchIn=All&family=Model&variation=Variation&imagefield.x=22&imagefield.y=11&caliber=.45+Colt&finish=Finish&blength=Barrel+Length&work=Yes) and I think that I'll end up choosing one of those. They're similar in price and WAY cheaper than a Freedom Arms revolver. I like the look and feel of S&W revolvers more than Rugers but I appreciate the ruggedness of the Ruger at the expense of refinement. I'll be thinking about this for a while.

Thanks for all the help.

StrawHat
August 1, 2008, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE][mtngunr Putting Quinn with the other two is a bit over the top since he gets most of what he writes from them and others....the USFA's are also up to the 22,000psi loads, but why anyone needs more than a 250-270grSWC at 1000fps is beyond me, unless grizzly, kodiak, or hunting large dangerous game outside the continental US is planned....a 250-270gr bullet at 1000fps sails right through most any critter...even factory loads are fine for black bear. /QUOTE]

Amen to that,

I load for several 45 LCs and even my black powder loads give complete penetration on whitetail. 255 SWC over all the black I can fit in the case.

I also use the Linebaugh loads in my S&W, but I don't see any significant improvement in performance, just a heavier (280 grain SWC) bullet.

And for carrying, all day, the S&W or Model P clones get my vote.

Good luck

Stainz
August 1, 2008, 08:16 AM
The three I mentioned are all easily found 'current' resources on the web. While not considered the authority of the level of the others, Quinn does do a credible job reviewing recent and current firearm offerings. For that alone, he deserves mention. I don't agree with any of them at times - possibly due to my far, far less - miniscule in comparison - experience.

Venturino & Taffin bantered back and forth re the .45 Colt vs .45 Auto Rim a few years back in the mags. While I love my .45 Colt MGs, if I were starting out - and reloaded, a requirement with .45 Colt anyway - I'd really consider my 625JM as a 'one and only' solution. The .45 ACPs in moonclips for plinking, competition, or Zombie attacks; the .45 Colt loads in .45 Auto Rim cases for hunting. While the .45 Colt is really a neat looking round, it is big. The .45 Auto Rim - with a 255gr LSWC atop it - is 'cute'. Plus - that 625JM comes with a Miculek grip - one I've grown to like. The spring-loaded front sight makes changing from ramp to Patridge to HiViz take less time than it does to read this line! I love the 'look' of the MG - the full lugged 625-look seems out of place. As someone pointed out years ago, that aint the view you have when you are 'enjoying' your revolver!

Stainz

mjolnir
August 3, 2008, 02:19 AM
The loose and floppy ejector rod/star will occasionally skip over a small .45 Colt rim, not a problem in the S&Ws

Stainz, this is no longer true; the new 4" .45 LC Redhawk uses the much larger extractor star from the Super RH. The star encompasses the rim from about 2:00 to 10:00. There's also a machined undercut in the cylinder below the star, probably to prevent powder grain jams.

Had an '88 S&W 25-5 that skipped rims on me; so did Anacondas and the old Redhawks...they all have in common being adaptations of .44 Mags with bigger holes.

The NEW Redhawk is the first DA .45 LC that addresses this issue.

Stainz
August 3, 2008, 05:59 AM
The .454 SRH I had would also skip over the .45 Colt rims, as it would also droop - albeit not as often. For this reason, as well as preventing carbon/lead rings, I loaded my .45 Colt-ish loads for it in .454 Casull cases. The two 625MGs I have, and shoot a lot more .45 Colts from than the two Ruger DA's I had, have never experienced that. The other fault I had with the RH was the l-o-n-g trigger pull. A deliberate pull compressed said spring very slightly more, yielding more stored energy to be released in the hammer fall. A s-l-o-w pull would barely break sear engagement, resulting in less compression and a lowered hammer effort - and odd ftf's with even my Federally-primed homebrews - on occasion - and with the OEM spring - fresh from Ruger for QC repairs.

Additionally, my 625MGs out-groupped the 5.5" SS .45 RH at 25yd (and the 7.5" .454 SRH) - all hand-held and standing. That SRH, with Hornady 240gr XTPs in .454 (2kfps), would produce 1.5" & 1.63" 5-shot (I allowed a flier...) groups - scoped (2x28 Weaver) and from burnt sand bags at 50yd - my best-ever handgun groups. It's slower rifling twist rate obviously preferred higher velocity rounds. The .45 Colt groups, hand-held at 25yd, ran from 3"-5+", with the 625MG, RH, and SRH spread evenly. My best SA Ruger .45 Colt was the 5.5" SS Bisley, but even it was at the upper end of the range. The S&Ws stayed - the Rugers are gone. YMMV.

Stainz

VA27
August 3, 2008, 09:35 PM
I never had a problem with the 625 Mt Gun skipping rims, but I was always afraid that one of my Blackhawk Only loads would get into it.

The 4" Redhawk cured that and I think it's probably stronger than the Blackhawk, so now I have to worry about my Redhawk loads getting into my Blackhawk!

My vote is for the 4" Redhawk, and never look back.

mtngunr
August 3, 2008, 09:58 PM
I really want a DA revolver and not another SA one so that basically rules out BFR and FA. Also, I don't want a barrel longer than 5".

You can get those same velocities safely in a 1917/1937 using ACP or AR brass...231 is on the fast side with higher pressures....Herco/Unique or 2400 will get you to 22,000psi loads with higher velocities...me, I find a 250gr bullet at 800+fps using 4.6grs BE in a 1937 plenty....as Terry Merbach is fond of saying, "it'll go through a deer like it was made of hot cheese and air."...the 1917/1937's weight about the same as a SAA, and less than a 1911...

August 14, 2008, 09:14 PM
I ordered a Ruger KRH-454 today but I have no idea when it'll be shipped since it's out of stock (as far as I can tell). After much deliberation, I decided that I wanted the option of shooting +P type .45 Colt loads up around 30,000 cup without destroying the revolver. I have a S&W 629 and like it a lot so I was thinking about the 625 Mountain Gun, but this morning at my local gun shop, I got to handle a Ruger KSRH-7454 (.454 Casull/.45 Colt) and I was impressed with how comfortable it was to hold/aim (the .45 Colt should be similar). The Ruger KRH-454 is $637 compared to $750 for the S&W MG so in the end it was an easy decision. As much as I like S&W revolvers, I feel good about ordering the Ruger and look forward to many, many years of happy ownership.

Thanks to everyone for your input ... it's been a big help.

Blacksmoke
August 16, 2008, 04:17 AM
I love my 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. Did it need to be made? Probably not. the .45 Auto Rim and ACP can provide most of the same ballistics. still, I wonder if there is a place for say a 265 or 280 grain Keith type projectile at around 900 FPS while staying under the 21,000 max CUP?

I am no expert but that seems like an ideal self defense round for dealing with large North American males, heavily dressed in winter gear and intent on bodily harm. The odd Black Bear notwithstanding~!!

If that load is useful, I doubt it could be fit in an ACP or Auto Rim case?

Any thoughts?

Stainz
August 16, 2008, 05:55 AM
First... gads, the .45 Colt didn't need to be made? Please reconsider!

Congrats to 1858 - I hope you enjoy the RH... I know I liked the SRH much more than my RH. My conscious decision to remain within SAAMI spec's on all of my reloads has permitted me to enjoy the finesse of a S&W.

I recall reading somewhere that the AR cases had a thin area near the base that the ACPs don't, perhaps limiting their pressure to less than that of the ACPs. That could be crannial flatulance, an increasingly more common occurence these days. Still, one should be able to put nearer to a WFN in an AR case as it could only be put in a revolver anyway. It should make a great 'protector'.

Stainz

Blacksmoke
August 16, 2008, 12:57 PM
Stainz,

Not the .45 Colt cartridge, just that cartridge in the S&W Model 25. There is not a lot the .45 Colt brings to the Hootenany that the .45 ACP or AR does as well and in less space UNLESS one loads bigger bullets like 265 to 300 grain in the longer Colt case. If so, does the pressures exceed what the Model 25 Mountain Gun can safely handle?

Tony Longo
August 30, 2008, 02:40 PM
I have been shooting a Raging Bull 83/8" 45 Colt since they came out back in early 2001. Mine is stainless. I was originally looking for a Anaconda in 45 colt but none available. After seeing the Bull at the NRA show I was impressed. Fit and finish is as good as my S&W's , trigger is perfect , accuracy is unbelivable. Rugers are ok once you have a trigger job and other mods done, I concider Rugers a work in progress . If you can find a Bull in 45 colt you will be pleased. I own revolvers from all major brands, don't fall into those groups that slam Taurus products. They have never owned any. I am a devout revolver nut. My Ragingbull will distroy the bullseye at 25 yds with anybody shooting it. My load is 5.5 grains of Tightgroup -255 grain Penn swc-in a Starline case with CCI standard primer.

Enjoy a real revolver
Tony Longo

JNewell
August 30, 2008, 07:55 PM
If you haven't already, you should read this article (http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12)on the S&W M25 and .45 Colt loads by John Linebaught.

August 30, 2008, 08:29 PM
As mentioned above, I bought a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt but will also buy a S&W 625 Mountain Gun in the future. I've read everything on John Linebaugh's web page (http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm) and he provides some excellent information there. I'm set on trying a 300 grain hard cast bullet with H-110 powder and now, based on his comments, am not so sure I want to bother with jacketed hollow points at all. I'll most likely follow his advice and use a home defense/plinking load of 250/260 grain hard cast bullets with WW231 (the powder I use for 9mm, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 ACP).

Catbird
August 30, 2008, 08:31 PM
I typically shoot my .44 magnum level handloads thru my .45 Colt:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/Revolver-Pics014.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/Revolver-Pics017.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/Revolver-Pics016.jpg

August 30, 2008, 08:36 PM
What a fantastic revolver ... just like my Python only bigger!!

If I had half a brain I would have bought an Anaconda when I bought my Python back in '92. Back in those days, I was so caught up in the idea of having a .357/.44 Magnum that I never even considered .45 Colt. If only I had a time machine ... :(

It's interesting how the front site has two pins ... my Python only has one.

Catbird
August 30, 2008, 08:47 PM
I also shoot some pretty stout loads thru my .45 Colt snubbie...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/Colt45-Pics010.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/Colt45-Pics012.jpg

mgkdrgn
August 30, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hows about a Taurus Judge? Then you can shoot 45 Colt and .410. :)

JNewell
August 31, 2008, 08:28 PM
The Anaconda and the Redhawk are both more substantially built revolvers than the 25. I'd pay attention to Linebaugh and watch the top end with the S&W.

jjohnson
September 3, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hey, about being careful to not mix your Cowboy loads with the hot stuff....

Two very simple ways to help make this idiot proof. First, get both nickel and brass cases, load one hot, keep the other for Cowboy (the nickel ones are pretty...put them in your SASS rig....the kids will think you're the Lone Ranger :D)

Another way is to take your primers (if they're in the right kind of tray) and mark them with a Sharpie, DyeChem, or some other light marker. I use red for hot, blue or green for lighter target loads, no color for "medium" power range ammo.

I just hate finding something I loaded for a carbine when I'm shooting my Bulldog.:what:

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 Colt revolver recommendations ... (maybe even a classic)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!